Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ireland by less than 20
    Why are people on about O'Gara kicking to the Ozzie backs? If O'Gara is picked to start he will be kicking for tough not launching garryowens.

Its very simple if the management team want a running game then they pick Sexton , however if they need to play territory game and can attack an opponents line out then O'Gara is picked. That's the way I see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

tolosenc wrote: »
    Why would you say that? We have 2 options, and he is definitely the better option for next week's game.

in your opinion,based on today and during test matches doesn't show it
    abit like the french,you don't know who turn up on the day,kicking options today was poor and penalty's where way off, wasn't eh ball as was used in 6 nations and test matches,so was it nerves,they can't afford too miss so many penalty's,
    both o gara and sexton have different styles that suit different game plans but missing kicks is not a option ,not as many as was missed today,hope there a 100 % improvement,o gara has more experience i world cup,maybe sexton need more time too settle in world cup
    but wouldn't sexton with Aussie game, against Italy maybe

Shhhh. I have a plan. ;)

like sexton did,miss the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

theboss80 wrote: »
    Why are people on about O'Gara kicking to the Ozzie backs? If O'Gara is picked to start he will be kicking for tough not launching garryowens.

Its very simple if the management team want a running game then they pick Sexton , however if they need to play territory game and can attack an opponents line out then O'Gara is picked. That's the way I see it anyway.

He's kicking posession away, and they're more than happy to run it right back.

We need posession as Oz are too dangerous with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

USA
    Not unless they get two losing bonus points against us. Realistically if Aus get 4 tries against us they'll win.

You're presuming we'll get a bonus point against Russia which I wouldn't. But it's irrelevant anyway because we haven't a hope of beating Australia unless they have a serious off day

• Advertisement

He's kicking posession away, and they're more than happy to run it right back.

We need posession as Oz are too dangerous with ball in hand.

lets have sexton play so he can kick right into aussies had,make it easier
    good plan

bm1993 wrote: »
    You're presuming we'll get a bonus point against Russia which I wouldn't. But it's irrelevant anyway because we haven't a hope of beating Australia unless they have a serious off day

ireland wont beat the aussies, going by the last 6 months unless they have a bad day,only team too look good so far is wales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

bm1993 wrote: »
    You're presuming we'll get a bonus point against Russia which I wouldn't.

Nope. Four wins without bonus points would see us top the pool in every scenario other than the one I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

What was his reason?

I'm paraphrasing him but it was along the lines of if Kidney is picking his team on form for next week then it has to be ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

BERBA wrote: »
    when it comes down to pressure moments in international rugby i.e. place kicking ,sexton has no bottle , thats been proven numerous times in the past.

Whereas ROG , he thrives under the pressure , Steak and Kidney has gotta start with him.

Right. I hadn't realised.
    abit like the french,you don't know who turn up on the day,kicking options today was poor and penalty's where way off, wasn't eh ball as was used in 6 nations and test matches,so was it nerves,they can't afford too miss so many penalty's,
    both o gara and sexton have different styles that suit different game plans but missing kicks is not a option ,not as many as was missed today,hope there a 100 % improvement,o gara has more experience i world cup,maybe sexton need more time too settle in world cup

lol whut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ironingbored

USA
    4/10 for the worlds best centre

Didn't realise Conrad Smith played for Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

O'Gara should play against Italy. Playing him next weekend is borderline lunacy. I mean, what kind of tactic is wilfully kicking the ball to Curtley Beale, Digby Ioane and James O'Connor?

Play O'Gara if you want to lose. We'll probably lose if we play Sexton, but starting O'Gara is giving up before the match even starts.

Well the stats from the last 2 games go completely against your point. Admittedly its a very small sample to take but, both ROG and Sexton have had similar gametime and have been shown a similar amount of the ball. Taking the kick/pass/run stats from ESPN scrum, Sexton has kicked ~30% of possession away whereas ROG has only kicked away ~15%. This completely ignores the fact that ROG's kicking is generally of a better quality too.

So...Do you still want Sexton to start against the Aussies if the stats indicate that he is going to kick more possession away?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ireland by less than 20
    phog wrote: »
    I'm paraphrasing him but it was along the lines of if Kidney is picking his team on form for next week then it has to be ROG.

Ok I missed that, but its pretty 50/50 and whoever is picked I hope everyone gets behind him and he plays well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ok I missed that, but its pretty 50/50 and whoever is picked I hope everyone gets behind him and he plays well.

I'd agree with that.

would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It was more involvement then ROG had for either of the other two tries.

Sexton was poor. His goal kicking was atrocious, but I don't think ROG showed much more when he came on. I expect ROG to start against Aus after that horror show, but I don't think it's going to make much difference. The forwards were shown up at the breakdown against bloody USA. They'll be annihilated by Aus. The backs showed no invention. That inside ball to D'Arcy crap that Sexton kept doing didn't even look like working. Bowe's second try was the only time the backs showed any fluidity. It was just a bloody mess.

I don't think they were as much shown up, as we just didn't commit numbers to the breakdown. Its been a feature of the Irish game that I've noticed since the 6N - We just don't commit numbers to the breakdown. The SH gets overwhelmed by opposition forwards so we either get turned over or get very sloppy ball. I'd hazard a guess that Murray hit the most ducks against the US - Its a bad sign when your 9 has to commit to ducks to secure the ball.

It was most notable in the 2nd France game's for me. TOL started that game very well because the forwards were hitting the rucks and creating quick ball. When we stopped hitting the rucks, TOL ended up having a nightmare and ended up missing the WC. The same thing happened to Murray today, he started brilliantly but then made a few errors when our forwards got complacent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

USA
    TOLs mistakes in the France game were nothing to do with ruck protection really. The intercept was off a lineout. He took the ball off the top of a lineout, ran with it a bit, and couldn't execute a simple pass to Sexton then. We turned the ball over and he box kicked right to the middle of the field gifting them a drop goal, etc. He's just a very poor player, nobody else to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Ireland by less than 20
    Why would you say that? We have 2 options, and he is definitely the better option for next week's game.

I literally have no idea what this means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

danthefan wrote: »
    TOLs mistakes in the France game were nothing to do with ruck protection really. The intercept was off a lineout. He took the ball off the top of a lineout, ran with it a bit, and couldn't execute a simple pass to Sexton then. We turned the ball over and he box kicked right to the middle of the field gifting them a drop goal, etc. He's just a very poor player, nobody else to blame.

Intercept was off a scrum, no? Himself and the Invisible Man messed up an 8 9 move, TOL went back to cover and flung an awful pass out, Sexton didn't cover himself in glory either, gave Trinh Duc a clear run in.

make it easy for you and vinny :D,going by sextons last few games specially today against usa,he shouldn't get 10 shirt,weather or not he play another position ,shows hes lack of world cup experience,sextons kicking was crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Ireland by less than 20
    Howsabout the Munster cheerleaders hereabouts just go and start their own forum?

forgot to add if sexton plays against Aussies, Ireland will defo lose if he plays as bad as he did today,no sexton for Aussie game and see ,maybe if improvement in his kicking,get a shot at Italy game,maybe

Hippo wrote: »
    Howsabout the Munster cheerleaders hereabouts just go and start their own forum?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

USA
    Intercept was off a scrum, no? Himself and the Invisible Man messed up an 8 9 move, TOL went back to cover and flung an awful pass out, Sexton didn't cover himself in glory either, gave Trinh Duc a clear run in.

Jokeshop stuff. And I'm not exactly sure what you wanted Sexton to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ireland by less than 20
    Hippo wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

USA
    forgot to add if sexton plays against Aussies, Ireland will defo lose if he plays as bad as he did today,no sexton for Aussie game and see ,maybe if improvement in his kicking,get a shot at Italy game,maybe

Sexton plays as bad we lose? Good one. Take off those tinted glasses!

We had more than one bad performance today!

circos wrote: »
    Sexton plays as bad we lose? Good one. Take off those tinted glasses!

We had more than one bad performance today!

thats it
    sexton couldnt because of the sun in his eyes,get him glasses

but
    there was any sun

performances where bad but sextons was crap ,kicking was crap,was it nerves or what

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

USA
    thats it
    sexton couldnt because of the sun in his eyes

but
    there was any sun

My point was that we always focus on one performance and rip them to shreds.

Dont see why we should focus on sexton. BOD had a worse game imho. Invisible for the whole game and some very bad passes, but that again is only one player and its pointless focusing on it.

They aren't performing as a team, its individuals trying their best with no team cohesion.

circos wrote: »
    My point was that we always focus on one performance and rip them to shreds.

Dont see why we should focus on sexton. BOD had a worse game imho. Invisible for the whole game and some very bad passes, but that again is only one player and its pointless focusing on it.

They aren't performing as a team, its individuals trying their best with no team cohesion.

so is it lack of leadership on field
    all these well know names play a USA side where only 4 where pro's made Ireland look worse, Ireland hasn't played well in a long time,its both off the field in management, and on field
    Ireland wont beat Australia unless they somehow jell together but don't see that happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭JRant

From what i've seen today and the past 2 years we have serious problems in our team.
    We've got a front row that do nothing but scrummage. They don't clear the rucks at all.
    We've a hooker who couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo and seems to spend the whole game feigning to be first receiver on a lot of our attacking moves.
    A second row that doesn't clear out rucks at all or win a lot of line out ball(ie DOC).
    An explosive backrow that seems to spend to much of there time doing the work of the second row.
    Centers who seem to be doing the work of our backrow and as such bring nothing to our attacking play.
    To much chopping and changing at 9/10. For the love of god, pick a pairing and go with it but stop playing Reddan/O'Gara or Sexton/(Murray/TOL). It actually beggars belief that we are still doing this. And this is having a terrible effect on Sextons confidence in an Irish Jersey.
    Finally we need to stop playing all our backline in different postions every time they take the field. They literally look like they haven't got a clue what there supposed to do.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement