Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    phog wrote: »
    The try that Sexton "set up" came from scrum for the USA (Murray knocked), we overpowered them and scored from that forward movement, yes he had great hands for the try but for some to say he set it up or created it is a bit far-fetched.

It was more involvement then ROG had for either of the other two tries.

Sexton was poor. His goal kicking was atrocious, but I don't think ROG showed much more when he came on. I expect ROG to start against Aus after that horror show, but I don't think it's going to make much difference. The forwards were shown up at the breakdown against bloody USA. They'll be annihilated by Aus. The backs showed no invention. That inside ball to D'Arcy crap that Sexton kept doing didn't even look like working. Bowe's second try was the only time the backs showed any fluidity. It was just a bloody mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

USA
    Because he was poor today as was all the backs but if Kidney is picking on form then ROG played a slightly better game today, and should get the nod. Was that becuase Reddan was on, was it becasue the players had relaxed a bit more I really don't know but once ROG came on the field we scored 2 more tries.

ROG came on when USA had tired, that was the difference, he didn't have a hand in any of the two tries anyway.
    The try that Sexton "set up" came from scrum for the USA (Murray knocked), we overpowered them and scored from that forward movement, yes he had great hands for the try but for some to say he set it up or created it is a bit far-fetched.

Your missing the integral part, it was not only Sexton's hands but Sexton's initial break that set up the actual try.

Conor O'Shea picked him after todays game to play next week.

I know this might come as a shock to you but Conor O'Shea isnt right all the time ;)

Ireland by less than 20
    O'Gara's decision to chip the ball away in the closing minute when we needed the BP try was poor though.

We really don't need the bonus point. It's not going to make the slightest bit of difference. We beat Aus we top the pool, we beat Italy we come second. Bonus points would only have been an issue if Italy beat Aus.

It was a decent chip through if I remember it properly. It just didn't come off. Would have been silly if we needed the try for the win but under the circumstances not a big deal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Watching the game on a mediocre stream I was under the impression that Heaslip had been immense in the first half, making loads of picks and drives and generally being a nuisance. It then dawned on me that the French commentators couldn't tell Heaslip and Ferris apart and every action carried out by a player with a scrum cap was chalked up to the number 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

shuffol wrote: »
    Apparently our squad has the oldest average age at the World cup, I think its 29.
    A point I made when the shocking Kidney got the job we needed to blood like all other countries over the last few years did.Kidney wanted to win outdated Triple Crowns ,etc when the others laughted at us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

USA
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    We really don't need the bonus point. It's not going to make the slightest bit of difference. We beat Aus we top the pool, we beat Italy we come second. Bonus points would only have been an issue if Italy beat Aus.

It was a decent chip through if I remember it properly. It just didn't come off. Would have been silly if we needed the try for the win but under the circumstances not a big deal.

What if we beat Aus and Italy beat us?

Ireland by less than 20
    RoryMc23 wrote: »
    What if we beat Aus and Italy beat us?

True...I kinda assumed that wouldn't happen. It would come into it if that happens but I just don't really expect that to be an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ireland by less than 20
    Watching the game on a mediocre stream I was under the impression that Heaslip had been immense in the first half, making loads of picks and drives and generally being a nuisance. It then dawned on me that the French commentators...

It's about time you paid for a VPN and gave up on French TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I am interested as to what is obvious. From what I can see O'Gara missed one kick then converted a difficult one, and played as aimlessly as Sexton except Sexton still managed to set up a try. Maybe its because O'Gara, like POC and O'Driscoll, is a legend and thus people are more inclined to embelish his performance but from what I saw, O'Gara didn't do anything of note to warrant such calls for his inclusion.

I personally feel that the only thing is obvious is that O'Gara will get murdered defensively against Australia. I know many knowledgable people who believe O'Gara is a better fly half than Sexton, but I don't know many who believe he is the better option against teams like NZ and Australia.

I'd play Sexton for Australia, then ROG for Italy and if Matfied is out then ROG for S.A in the quarters (assuming we get there) and Sexton against the likes of France/Aus/NZ in the semis and final. (Wishful thinking!)

if sexton kicks like he did today,i wouldnt put him in Aussie game
    like others,this is o gara last game like darcy and bod
    gee wizz,sexton helped like others too setup a try
    thats not a good enough reason too have sexton the weekend

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

id sexton kicks like he did today,i wouldnt put him in Aussie game
    like others,this is o gara last game like darcy and bod
    gee wizz,sexton helped like others too setup a try

Never put someone on ignore for grammar before.
    Guess there's a first time for everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

ROG came on when USA had tired, that was the difference, he didn't have a hand in any of the two tries anyway.

Strange they only tired when ROG came on, maybe he should have been brought on earlier.
    Your missing the integral part, it was not only Sexton's hands but Sexton's initial break that set up the actual try.

Yea, it's what you'd expect from an outhalf standing in that channel off a retreating scrum.
    I know this might come as a shock to you but Conor O'Shea isnt right all the time ;

I know he's not he is this time :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

USA
    shuffol wrote: »
    Apparently our squad has the oldest average age at the World cup, I think its 29.

Same as England in 2003 (when the average age of the forwards was 34!!). That kind of age isn't an issue in today's game as long as players are looked after well (which of course the Ireland players are - better than players in most countries given how much they play).

wixfjord wrote: »

why am i not surprised by you,check again and the time maybe :D:D:D:D

maybe its time too get a new captain
    maybe as someone else suggested,make players earn there place on team,they mess up,can get back till they prove themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

USA

KELTICKNIGHTT is spot on in relation to sexton.

No need to be so ignorant:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ireland by less than 20
    He did actually.

What was his reason?

BERBA wrote: »
    KELTICKNIGHTT is spot on in relation to sexton.

No need to be so ignorant:rolleyes:

Nobody biting in the Soccerball forum tonight eh Berba? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ireland by less than 20
    after today's game I thought that was fairly obvious

After today? everyone has an off day loike:rolleyes:

USA

Didnt ye win an all ireland today eh?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bm1993

USA
    Podge_irl wrote: »

Bonus points are important in this pool. In the unlikely event we win the remaining 3 games in the pool Australia could still win the group if they get bonus points in all their games and we don't get any at all

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

O'Gara should play against Italy. Playing him next weekend is borderline lunacy. I mean, what kind of tactic is wilfully kicking the ball to Curtley Beale, Digby Ioane and James O'Connor?

Play O'Gara if you want to lose. We'll probably lose if we play Sexton, but starting O'Gara is giving up before the match even starts.

galway took them apart ;)

Two actually.

tolosenc wrote: »
    O'Gara should play against Italy. Playing him next weekend is borderline lunacy. I mean, what kind of tactic is wilfully kicking the ball to Curtley Beale, Digby Ioane and James O'Connor?

Play O'Gara if you want to lose. We'll probably lose if we play Sexton, but starting O'Gara is giving up before the match even starts.

play sexton if you want too lose for sure

play sexton if you want too lose for sure

Why would you say that? We have 2 options, and he is definitely the better option for next week's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

USA
    Why would you say that? We have 2 options, and he is definitely the better option for next week's game.

:) Feeding a troll.

:) Feeding a troll.

Shhhh. I have a plan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

bm1993 wrote: »
    Bonus points are important in this pool. In the unlikely event we win the remaining 3 games in the pool Australia could still win the group if they get bonus points in all their games and we don't get any at all

Not unless they get two losing bonus points against us. Realistically if Aus get 4 tries against us they'll win.

• Advertisement

USA

when it comes down to pressure moments in international rugby i.e. place kicking ,sexton has no bottle , thats been proven numerous times in the past.

Whereas ROG , he thrives under the pressure , Steak and Kidney has gotta start with him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement