Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RoryMc23

USA
    Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sexton kicked reasonably well in the 6N didn't he?

ROG wasn't really on long enough today to judge him properly, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Aus. Sexton can't really have any complaints.

The problems in the team ran far deeper then that though.

I might be wrong, but I thought Sexton had the highest kicking percentage in the Heineken Cup this year? At least I recall hearing that somewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    RoryMc23 wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I thought Sexton had the highest kicking percentage in the Heineken Cup this year? At least I recall hearing that somewhere

He was up there anyway. He was excellent in all the Leinster games that I recall. He's had a few too many poor games with the boot at international level for comfort though.

The backs were all a bit useless today though. Bowe was the best of them I guess, but even he was way below the standard needed to challenge Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭phog

Anyone listening to Shane Horgan on RTE now, he's not in the panic zone like some on here are.

Ireland by less than 20
    phog wrote: »
    Anyone listening to Shane Horgan on RTE now, he's not in the panic zone like some on here are.

I'm curious as to when some people think the appropriate time for panic is.

You have to forgive the Irish rugby public for being somewhat pessimistic given the circumstances. The fact that the Irish team were denying there was a problem in France 4 years ago until we were actually out of the competition doesn't exactly build trust either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ireland by less than 20

Horgan is probably happy to be sitting in that studio rather being in NZ, maybe he can see that the sh!t will hit the fan against Australia and is glad he won't be liable to take any of the blame:pac:

Ireland by 3 next Saturday though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

Ireland by 20-40
    lets panic just before the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

Ireland by 20-40
    lets panic just before the final.

USA
    Just looking at Ferris' comment about himself and his team mates having heavy legs, is it possible that the Irish players' fitness isnt where it should be? We went into the last world cup with an emphasis on fitness and played little rugby, have we gone into this world cup with an emphasis on playing rugby and not enough attention to fitness?

Just throwing a theory out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

USA

Horgan cant do anything but sit on the fence. He is mates with all the players-he cant say anything controversial. Frankie of course will wear the Munster hat as much as he can..

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm curious as to when some people think the appropriate time for panic is.

You have to forgive the Irish rugby public for being somewhat pessimistic given the circumstances. The fact that the Irish team were denying there was a problem in France 4 years ago until we were actually out of the competition doesn't exactly build trust either.

Panic wont acheive too much on a rugby field.

Differnece between 2007 and this year.

In 2007 the Pumas beat France (seen by most as the top tier of our pool) in the opening game of the pool. That result more than any other in the pool games made it a difficult pool for us. This year we'd see ourselves and Italy compete for 2nd place and with Italy being beaten leaves that target still firmly in our hands.

• Advertisement

Ireland by less than 20
    Just looking at Ferris' comment about himself and his team mates having heavy legs, is it possible that the Irish players' fitness isnt where it should be? We went into the last world cup with an emphasis on fitness and played little rugby, have we gone into this world cup with an emphasis on playing rugby and not enough attention to fitness?

Just throwing a theory out there.

Nonsense really, they have done preseason training and have had what 4 matches before today's, they should all be fully fit.
    Having said that though i still think the teams in the southern hemisphere have a bit of an advantage because they are fresh from the tri-nations!

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Horgan cant do anything but sit on the fence. He is mates with all the players-he cant say anything controversial. Frankie of course will wear the Munster hat as much as he can..

True I suppose that's why both of them went with their provincial colleague as the starting No10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

USA
    Is that Darragh Moloney commentating? Wasnt he presenting Soccer Saturday last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ireland by less than 20
    Apparently, Frankie awarded TOL MOTM for todays victory over the USA. He said it was a close run thing between him, Wally and with special mention for Marcus.

Ireland by less than 20
    Frankie is so arrogant in his opinions. He gave no reason why he said O Gara should start against the Aussies, think he could have plainly said because he's our best fly half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

USA
    jacothelad wrote: »
    Apparently, Frankie awarded TOL MOTM for todays victory over the USA. He said it was a close run thing between him, Wally and with special mention for Marcus.

they should have thrown leo cullen on for last 5 seconds today to get him another cap just like against france in 6 nations:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Cpt_BlackBeard's detailed game analysis:

1. Court - Good
    2. Best - Very Good. Best I've ever seen him play.
    3. Ross - OK
    4. DOC - Good.
    5. POC - Very Good.
    6. Ferris - Very Good.
    7. Jennings - Bad. He still hasn't proved he is up to this level.
    8. Heaslip - Bad. Living off reputation and would be dropped for SOB if Wallace was fit.

CB, I'm not sure how we failed to score 4 tries against the worst team in the competition and generated very, very little quick ball if three of them were very good, two of them were good and one was ok. Best and Ferris are the only ones that can be reasonably happy with their performance. The rest may have done well in the line out or the scrum but an AIL side would have done well against them. I don't think the USA even contested the vast majority of line outs. Buckley beasting someone from loose head tells us all we need to know about the standard of their set piece. The forwards failed to put us on the front foot or generate quick ball which, in a game against the USA, should be the bare minimum for them. As a unit, they came up massively short of the standard required.

Frankie is so arrogant in his opinions. He gave no reason why he said O Gara should start against the Aussies, think he could have plainly said because he's our best fly half.

after today's game I thought that was fairly obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

USA
    He is by no means the worlds best centre. In form, he could be among the top five centres but, at present he would be the 5th best centre in the NZ squad (behind Smith, Nonu, SBW and Kahui).

Too many of the supposedly big-name players just aren't stepping up - Heaslip, Sexton, D'Arcy and BOD just haven't been good enough. I'm aware that they all share one thing in common but, players clubs shouldn't be an issue when considering who isn't performing.

Now Now lets not get carried away with The All Blacks, Kahui & Sonny Bill arent better than BOD, The other two would be at his level, But there are other centres in the world better than Kahui and Sonny Bill even for his amazing offloads, I am talking bout a form BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Was there any mention in the post match stuff of BOD getting a knock? On one occasion Emerick ran at him in the first half and made huge ground before being put down and BOD spent an awful lot of time on the wings away from the centre.

I remember he has/had an injury going in to the WC but can't remember what it was exactly. Maybe I'm imagining things.

• Advertisement

USA
    after today's game I thought that was fairly obvious

I am interested as to what is obvious. From what I can see O'Gara missed one kick then converted a difficult one, and played as aimlessly as Sexton except Sexton still managed to set up a try. Maybe its because O'Gara, like POC and O'Driscoll, is a legend and thus people are more inclined to embelish his performance but from what I saw, O'Gara didn't do anything of note to warrant such calls for his inclusion.

I personally feel that the only thing is obvious is that O'Gara will get murdered defensively against Australia. I know many knowledgable people who believe O'Gara is a better fly half than Sexton, but I don't know many who believe he is the better option against teams like NZ and Australia.

I'd play Sexton for Australia, then ROG for Italy and if Matfied is out then ROG for S.A in the quarters (assuming we get there) and Sexton against the likes of France/Aus/NZ in the semis and final. (Wishful thinking!)

USA
    astonaidan wrote: »
    Now Now lets not get carried away with The All Blacks, Kahui & Sonny Bill arent better than BOD, The other two would be at his level, But there are other centres in the world better than Kahui and Sonny Bill even for his amazing offloads, I am talking bout a form BOD

Sonny Bill Williams is better than BOD, no question. Not BOD circa 2005 (and 2009) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

USA
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Very disappointing game. Played against a side that can't attack and we gifted them a game that they'll see in their eyes as a victory.

As iv said in the pre season and many times in the lead up to the RWC, our centre's are simply not good enough. It doesn't matter if you have Carter at 10 and pull George Gregan at 9 we still aren't going to go anywhere cause our centres can't get over the gain line.

D'Arcy has been poor for 2 years (imo) and if he can't get over the gain line what is he in the side for?

Really disappointing.

D'Arcy is one of my favourite players but I don't think he's anywhere close to fit. In the England game he looked out on his feet by 50mins. I think the groin injury must have scuppered his pre-season. The problem now though is the only other player we've tried at 12 is Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

doomed wrote: »
    If Ireland were France we would have
    Ferris in second row in place of DOC
    BOD at openside
    SOB at inside centre

Love to try it just once
    You still want to play O Driscoll,should be dropped big time.

D'Arcy is one of my favourite players but I don't think he's anywhere close to fit. In the England game he looked out on his feet by 50mins. I think the groin injury must have scuppered his pre-season. The problem now though is the only other player we've tried at 12 is Wallace.
    The pr team have been running wild over the last couple of years. Darcy and O Driscoll should be fuc... out big time total rubbish at 12 and 13 .

Ireland by less than 20
    Differnece between 2007 and this year.

In 2007 the Pumas beat France (seen by most as the top tier of our pool) in the opening game of the pool. That result more than any other in the pool games made it a difficult pool for us. This year we'd see ourselves and Italy compete for 2nd place and with Italy being beaten leaves that target still firmly in our hands.

Similarity between 2007 and this year.

We're ****.

The only reason we're in a better position this year then 4 years ago is because the other team in our pool isn't as good. That's not exactly an encouraging thought.

I am interested as to what is obvious. From what I can see O'Gara missed one kick then converted a difficult one, and played as aimlessly as Sexton except Sexton still managed to set up a try. Maybe its because O'Gara, like POC and O'Driscoll, is a legend and thus people are more inclined to embelish his performance but from what I saw, O'Gara didn't do anything of note to warrant such calls for his inclusion.

Because he was poor today as was all the backs but if Kidney is picking on form then ROG played a slightly better game today, and should get the nod. Was that becuase Reddan was on, was it becasue the players had relaxed a bit more I really don't know but once ROG came on the field we scored 2 more tries.

The try that Sexton "set up" came from scrum for the USA (Murray knocked), we overpowered them and scored from that forward movement, yes he had great hands for the try but for some to say he set it up or created it is a bit far-fetched.

I personally feel that the only thing is obvious is that O'Gara will get murdered defensively against Australia. I know many knowledgable people who believe O'Gara is a better fly half than Sexton, but I don't know many who believe he is the better option against teams like NZ and Australia.

Conor O'Shea picked him after todays game to play next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

USA
    Because he was poor today as was all the backs but if Kidney is picking on form then ROG played a slightly better game today, and should get the nod. Was that becuase Reddan was on, was it becasue the players had relaxed a bit more I really don't know but once ROG came on the field we scored 2 more tries.

The try that Sexton "set up" came from scrum for the USA (Murray knocked), we overpowered them and scored from that forward movement, yes he had great hands for the try but for some to say he set it up or created it is a bit far-fetched.

Conor O'Shea picked him after todays game to play next week.

I don't see how RO'G can possibly get any credit for Rory Best's try? :confused:

Granted he put width on it nicely for Bowe's second, but O'Driscoll and Bowe himself deserve the bulk of the credit there too.

O'Gara's decision to chip the ball away in the closing minute when we needed the BP try was poor though. If you go through the phases in that situation you get 10 or 12 attempts at making the breakthrough. Chipping (in wet conditions) gives you one extremely slight chance, which obviously didn't work out.

Sexton was poor today, but O'Gara was far from great either.

No. SOB, Healy and Kearney will come back in-Reddan will probably start along with ROG. I would drop D'Arcy and bring in McFadden
    Good points but why Darcy and not the shocking O Driscoll.He was captain at the last World Cup aswell.

• Advertisement

He did actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement