Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy has 16 weeks to save his career

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I wouldn't agree with completely ditching it - keep it as a real public service (news, sports, culture etc) keep the best of the current lot on normal wages and if any of them don't like it, they can bog off to wherever will take them and their expectations.
    Plenty of untapped talent out there who haven't been bumming the RTE DGs and politicos since time began!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

mike65 wrote: »
    Imagine turning on the telly to discover it was TV3, 3e and nothing else*!

* apart from the scores of channels on Sat and cable

Worst channels ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 pm on TV3 after RTE closes down.

Monday - Irelands Worst [insert topic]
    Tuesday - Underworld Ireland
    Wednesday - Inside Irelands Prisons
    Thursday - Generic US Cop Show
    Friday - Friday Night Live with Trevor Welch, three hours of top chat.
    Saturday - Filum
    Sunday - Downton Abbey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Saturday - Filum
    Sunday - Downton Abbey

Mmm, cringing at Tubridy (600k pa) or Welch (5k pa...) ?
    decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Friday - Friday Night Live with Trevor Welch, three hours of top hats.
    That sir, was the reason television was invented!

TrevorWelchHat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Imagine turning on the telly to discover it was TV3, 3e and nothing else*!

TV3's content would improve if it were permitted to compete on a level playing field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I don't mean to be rude, but tubridy threads are supposed to be fun! Relax man!

I love the "i don't meant to be rude, BUT...". LOL. That made a couple of guys in my office laugh out loud when they read that, as it's ages since we saw the "I don't meant to be rude, BUT" line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

easychair wrote: »
    I love the "i don't meant to be rude, BUT...". LOL. That made a couple of guys in my office laugh out loud when they read that, as it's ages since we saw the "I don't meant to be rude, BUT" line!

You read this comment out to a "couple of guys" in your office?!!!!

Why would you do this?!

They must have been thanking you for that. Not.

Do you keep your work colleagues up to date with the Tubridy threads ?

You read this comment out to a "couple of guys" in your office?!!!!

Why would you do this?!

They must have been thanking you for that. Not.

Why? In our office we talk and communicate with each other. In my experience that is completely normal. Especially if one or other of us finds something funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Saturday - Filum
    Sunday - Downton Abbey

And the film is always something woeful, like Twister, Bad Boys or The Perfect Storm

Paparazzo wrote: »
    And the film is always something woeful, like Twister, Bad Boys or The Perfect Storm

Perfect Storm is a great movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Is this an office based in Montrose by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Why? In our office we talk and communicate with each other. In my experience that is completely normal. Especially if one or other of us finds something funny.

i'd say it's some laugh in there alright!

i'd say it's some laugh in there alright!

Not only would you say it, you did say it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I love the "i don't meant to be rude, BUT...". LOL. That made a couple of guys in my office laugh out loud when they read that,

Read this out to them.

GET BACK TO WORK AND STOP WASTING LICENCE PAYERS MONEY.

mikom wrote: »
    Read this out to them.

GET BACK TO WORK AND STOP WASTING LICENCE PAYERS MONEY.

I did as you suggested, and they all cheered and laughed out loud!

As I live, and work, in London, some wondered what licence fee you are talking about? Certainly, none of us has a clue. Can you tell us?

I am guessing the whole point of imposing a licence fee is to allow those who receive it to waste it, just as RTE do, for example, on ludicrous salaries for its talent.

They sound mad altogether.
    Did the mascots fly off their desks with the rumpus.
    Perhaps Nigel will have two hobnobs on his tea break today to celebrate the hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Has the UK abolished it's TV licence?

Anyway, back on topic, I fear we are stuck with Tubbers until he falls on his own sword and can't see that happening any time soon.

mikom wrote: »
    They sound mad altogether.
    Did the mascots fly off their desks with the rumpus.
    Perhaps Nigel will have two hobnobs on his tea break today to celebrate the hilarity.

I don't know who your Nigel is, but he sounds like a good guy. Or what mascots you talk of.

Why don't you pop out and buy Nigel some hobnobs if you think he's like some? It's a little weird in a thread about Turbidy to be talking about your friend Nigel's biscuit preferences!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Your friends sound like a lot of fun... :)

NERDS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

As I live, and work, in London, some wondered what licence fee you are talking about? Certainly, none of us has a clue. Can you tell us?

I am guessing the whole point of imposing a licence fee is to allow those who receive it to waste it, just as RTE do, for example, on ludicrous salaries for its talent.

I think I've heard it all now!

A thread about Ryan Tubridy being read out loud to a group of office workers in London!!!!!

PS. Did you fill your colleagues in on what a DLB is?

IT WAS the dullest Late Late Show in a while -- and that's saying something.
    No surprise then that it haemorrhaged another 70,000 viewers last Friday night -- on top of the 180,000 the show lost for the previous week.
    Despite public shows of support for Ryan Tubridy, RTE chiefs are now seriously concerned they will not be able to stop the show's tailspin.
    "There's an air of doom around the Late Late right now. Even Tubridy himself couldn't hide it on Friday night, and one of his eyes was weepy. It's not the right signal," said a senior insider.
    "Worse still, one of the 'star' guests billed to appear was Jimmy Savile. Hardly someone to set Friday night alight -- and even he didn't appear on the night," said the source.
    "Ryan is under terrible pressure and doing his best to hide it, but once a show gets jinxed like this, it's extremely hard to turn around," the senior source added.
    RTE chiefs would like to see Tubridy do a major publicity round to address the show's reputational damage -- but the presenter is notoriously shy of subjecting himself to interview.
    Ryan has refused Herald requests for an interview.
    Last Friday, Ryan said he had got a vote of confidence from management. He insisted his job was not under threat.
    But a senior insider said: "You have to look at Miriam O'Callaghan's figures for her chatshow during the summer. They were at a record high. Then Ryan comes back and everything starts to go awry.
    "It's not good and Ryan has until Christmas to sort his show, his production crew and his guests out. It's a lot of pressure and he will find out where his friends are now."
    However, despite the disappointing numbers, RTE spokespeople have maintained that the Late Late remains to be the most watched show of the week and that Tubridy will continue to front the series.
    "Forty-two per cent of people watching television chose to watch the Late Late on a Friday night," said spokeswoman Tara O'Brien.
    "Despite the fact that over 70pc of viewers in Ireland have digital channels with hundreds of channels to choose form -- this is a very strong performance from RTE and the Late Late," she added.
    Legendary broadcaster Gay Byrne also defended Tubridy yesterday:
    "Ryan is doing a good job. He dropped some viewers but I'm sure he will pick them up in the weeks ahead."
    He added:
    "Losing and gaining viewers (on the Late Late) is a pattern that has been going on for 50 years."
    Meanwhile, Gaybo has been enjoying huge success with his Saturday night summer filler -- after One Night Only pulled in nearly half a million viewers each week.
    hnews@herald.ie
    - Laura Butler

"There's an air of doom around the Late Late right now. Even Tubridy himself couldn't hide it on Friday night, and one of his eyes was weepy. It's not the right signal," said a senior insider.

Not sure how to react to this news, one weepy eye? The show is finished! Seriously someone in RTE actually wondered out loud that he might be in decline due to a weepy eye?

Not sure how to react to this news, one weepy eye? The show is finished! Seriously someone in RTE actually wondered out loud that he might be in decline due to a weepy eye?

I think it was noted here that tubs was a little dissheveled on the lls last week...seriously the indo group are after his blood..they want to be the ones who take him down.
    possibly so we'l have a successful harvest next year.

The indo want to take him down cos they hate the idea that Boards will, old media is running scared. ;)

I think I've heard it all now!

A thread about Ryan Tubridy being read out loud to a group of office workers in London!!!!!

PS. Did you fill your colleagues in on what a DLB is?

I'm afraid you have misheard, or at least misread, as no one here in the office has been reading this thread out loud. I did draw others attention to something funny and which made us all laugh, and if you glean from that that I rad the whole thread out loud to the office, then that appears to show you leaping to incorrect conclusions!

As I have no idea what a "DLB" is , I have been unable to "fill in " anyone else as to what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I'm afraid you have misheard, or at least misread, as no one here in the office has been reading this thread out loud. I did draw others attention to something funny and which made us all laugh, and if you glean from that that I rad the whole thread out loud to the office, then that appears to show you leaping to incorrect conclusions!

As I have no idea what a "DLB" is , I have been unable to "fill in " anyone else as to what it is.

Now now, it didn't quite happen that way did it. First of all it was never meant to be funny and for that matter isn't....at all.

Chances are your English buddies there in the office don't know what a Tubridy is.

Chances are they fake laughed at it in an awkward fashion, and then proceeded to roll their eyes at you behind your back.

Chances are you're the 'strange' one in the office that nobody likes. The lad who wastes their working time by pointing out things on the internet that have no relevance to anything.

If indeed you actually 'work in an office in London'.

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »

If indeed you actually 'work in an office in London'.

Only on a Saturday.........

Advertisement