Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy has 16 weeks to save his career

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

squonk wrote: »
    I was no fan of G. Ryan in general but I was very surprised by the job he did on the LLS the night they let him loose on it. It was one of the few LLS highpoints since Gaybo left.

I was a fan of Gerry Ryan and used to enjoy his show when I heard it. Now that he's gone the RTE daytime schedules are greatly impoverished.

For me, the reason I have not enjoyed Tubridy's show the few times I've heard it is down to his rapid speech, and his poor interviewing skills. Gerry Ryan usually spoke more deliberately, which possibly gave him more time to form a question or response. Perhaps Tubridy's rapid quickfire speech does him no favours and leaves him little time to consider his response in an interview situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I was no fan of GR but I thought he was a very clever and often thoughtful guy, who gave off the pretence of shallowness. Tubridy, despite his trying to give off an air of intellectualism, strikes me as actually quite shallow. His Dawkins interview was an eye opener, he had no grasp whatsoever of what is a fundamental question (irrespective of your views, you should understand the issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There is one thing that will save Tubridy's show - audience participation. Get someone really controversial on like Nick Griffin or David Irving, and let the audience speak. Even better get Biffo or Bertie on and let the audience tear them a new cornhole ! The ratings will go through the roof. Gay Byrne always let the audience have their say. Pat Kenny got rid of it as he considered the Late Late to be "light entertainment". Eh it was NEVER just a light entertainment show. It contained serious controversial stuff and a bit of light stuff. Tubs is making the same mistake as Kenny. Time to get aa bit of controversy whipped up. That will get the audiences back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

He looks tired and sad :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Now he knows how his audience feels!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*Wipes tears with wad of 100 Euro notes*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

mikom wrote: »
    *Wipes tears with wad of 100 Euro notes*

en hold on its 500 euro notes....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ryan Tubridy is another example of FF cronyism at it's best. It's not how good you are, it's who you know. Not only is he a smarmy git, but he also has no idea how to either control or dictate the pace of an interview. The recent Cuba Gooding Jr one being a case in point. He makes Pat Kenny seem competent at light entertainment.

He has single-handedly done more damage to the Late Late in two years than Kenny did in ten. He has changed it from being a challenging, thought provoking entertainment show tackling today's issues, into some sort of cheap corny American-esque late night tramp talk show.

Get out of RTE you unbearable waste of space, and take your corny drum-rolls and muppet band with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't think that the Late Late show should try to court controversy. In my opinion, doing so would make the show seem cheaper than it already is because it would feel contrived in this day and age where there is so much controversial content on television and the people who we would like to see on the show, the politicians, the bankers and all these other nogoodniks, getting the audience set upon them would just be a bit too cute to fall for that nowadays. Even if you could wrangle them in, would the Q&A have a sterile and controlled feel to it? I think that it may. Certainly they could try but I don't think it's the answer.

It's a complicated question in what to do with the show that is a great part of RTE's heritage and a question that has as much to do with the audience watching it and their habits as anything the show is doing or could do but as some posters have said, a good start would be to take a chance on an intelligent host, drop the cheesy house band, bring it back to more serious current affair type tone, showcase new Irish talent on the show (several great Irish comedians and musicians have been given their break on the LLS) and just generally don't insult the intelligence of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I think "16 weeks to save his career" is a bit of a stretch, he is the annointed one out in Donnybrook.

However the press really do have it in for him, the latest installment courtesy of the Sindo
    Bring back Gaybo: Tubridy's faux Law Library act turns off viewers

The RTE presenter fluffed his interview with David Norris making us yearn for days gone by, writes Jerome Reilly

With the deft touch of an 8lb sledgehammer, Ryan Tubridy set about his dissection of the sexual mores of David Norris.

But in the end, viewers were cringing for The Late Late Show presenter, rather than the prospective presidential candidate.

Norris was subjected to a cack-handed and maladroit inquisition. It was painful to watch.

When his good friend Ronan Keating came on the Late Late, Tubridy was slammed for his uber soft handling of his old buddy. Not a mention of the Boyzone star's philandering.

And Tubridy didn't exactly rip into Bertie Ahern. There was no deep penetration of the former Taoiseach's personal and financial life.

So before the new season started and mindful of the criticism, Tubridy promised a return to Late Late Show values as espoused by Gay Byrne -- longer, more in-depth and tougher interviews and greater audience participation.

Last night there was even a return to Gaybo-style "guess the value of the antiques" competition. It was like watching a live version of Reeling in the Years. But the trouble is a return to a Gay Byrne-style Late Late Show requires one vital ingredient -- Gay Byrne.

Tubridy fluffed his interview with Norris and missed a golden opportunity. In his determination to talk about sex and his efforts to get the senator to once again explain the difference between pedarasty and paedophilia, he was going over well-trodden ground.

Norris had some explaining to do to the Irish voters about the circumstances surrounding his letter to the Israeli authorities on behalf of his former lover and his decision to quit and now dramatically re-enter the race for the park.

Norris was more than willing to supply the answers but was foiled in the first part of the interview because of Tubridy's infuriating interruptions and faux Law Library posturing.

"I must put it to you..." and "It says HERE in your letter senator..." complete with lots of finger jabbing.

In the end Norris had to lay down the marker, pointing out with remarkable civility and good grace that no other politician is ever asked about sex in the same way he is.

After that we at last got to the substantive issues and Norris put in a bravura performance from then on.

"This would be the biggest comeback in Irish political history, I think people love a comeback," he said.

"The Irish people should be allowed the judgement. They may not want me but I think they should at least be allowed the choice," he added.

It was stirring stuff.

Norris is right. We do love a comeback.

The trouble is that after Tubridy's performance on Friday night there are as many viewers who want a comeback by Gay Byrne to The Late Late Show as those who want Mr Norris back in the presidential race.

Many many thousands.

• Advertisement

giftgrub wrote: »
    I think "16 weeks to save his career" is a bit of a stretch, he is the annointed one out in Donnybrook.

However the press really do have it in for him, the latest installment courtesy of the Sindo
    Bring back Gaybo: Tubridy's faux Law Library act turns off viewers

The RTE presenter fluffed his interview with David Norris making us yearn for days gone by, writes Jerome Reilly

With the deft touch of an 8lb sledgehammer, Ryan Tubridy set about his dissection of the sexual mores of David Norris.

But in the end, viewers were cringing for The Late Late Show presenter, rather than the prospective presidential candidate.

Norris was subjected to a cack-handed and maladroit inquisition. It was painful to watch.

When his good friend Ronan Keating came on the Late Late, Tubridy was slammed for his uber soft handling of his old buddy. Not a mention of the Boyzone star's philandering.

And Tubridy didn't exactly rip into Bertie Ahern. There was no deep penetration of the former Taoiseach's personal and financial life.

So before the new season started and mindful of the criticism, Tubridy promised a return to Late Late Show values as espoused by Gay Byrne -- longer, more in-depth and tougher interviews and greater audience participation.

Last night there was even a return to Gaybo-style "guess the value of the antiques" competition. It was like watching a live version of Reeling in the Years. But the trouble is a return to a Gay Byrne-style Late Late Show requires one vital ingredient -- Gay Byrne.

Tubridy fluffed his interview with Norris and missed a golden opportunity. In his determination to talk about sex and his efforts to get the senator to once again explain the difference between pedarasty and paedophilia, he was going over well-trodden ground.

Norris had some explaining to do to the Irish voters about the circumstances surrounding his letter to the Israeli authorities on behalf of his former lover and his decision to quit and now dramatically re-enter the race for the park.

Norris was more than willing to supply the answers but was foiled in the first part of the interview because of Tubridy's infuriating interruptions and faux Law Library posturing.

"I must put it to you..." and "It says HERE in your letter senator..." complete with lots of finger jabbing.

In the end Norris had to lay down the marker, pointing out with remarkable civility and good grace that no other politician is ever asked about sex in the same way he is.

After that we at last got to the substantive issues and Norris put in a bravura performance from then on.

"This would be the biggest comeback in Irish political history, I think people love a comeback," he said.

"The Irish people should be allowed the judgement. They may not want me but I think they should at least be allowed the choice," he added.

It was stirring stuff.

Norris is right. We do love a comeback.

The trouble is that after Tubridy's performance on Friday night there are as many viewers who want a comeback by Gay Byrne to The Late Late Show as those who want Mr Norris back in the presidential race.

Many many thousands.
    It's simply time up I'm dying to here what rte's excuse to protect tubridy is this week.
    There is no excuse full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

jimmynokia wrote: »
    It's simply time up I'm dying to here what rte's excuse to protect tubridy is this week.

Its only one hack's opinion from a complete rag of a paper in fairness...

telekon wrote: »

Its only one hack's opinion from a complete rag of a paper in fairness...
    That just happens to be his favorite paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wasn't the Herald mocking him for reading the Irish Times or something last week? :confused: You know, in that geek chic picture of him?

telekon wrote: »

Wasn't the Herald mocking him for reading the Irish Times or something last week? :confused: You know, in that geek chic picture of him?
    Yeah but in his paper reviews that he used to do he said the sindo was his favorite,anyway no matter what paper somebody reads be it the sun the mirror or star for example there is a lot of begrudery in here of whom reads what,a paper is a paper it tells news be it bad or good .
    Just to note I'm not having a go at you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

jmcc wrote: »
    No. Give the Late Late to Grainne Seoige. At least she's not a dork.

Regards...jmcc

tubbs is light entertainement. he dare not ask difficult questions. Seoige can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

grenache wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy is another example of FF cronyism at it's best. It's not how good you are, it's who you know. Not only is he a smarmy git, but he also has no idea how to either control or dictate the pace of an interview. The recent Cuba Gooding Jr one being a case in point. He makes Pat Kenny seem competent at light entertainment.

He has single-handedly done more damage to the Late Late in two years than Kenny did in ten. He has changed it from being a challenging, thought provoking entertainment show tackling today's issues, into some sort of cheap corny American-esque late night tramp talk show.

Get out of RTE you unbearable waste of space, and take your corny drum-rolls and muppet band with you.

You would think the FF connnection would not still work with a new government in power. Tubbs, his cousin David Mcsavage and glenda gilson all got in on the FF ticket.

its just struck me how much Conan O Brien Tubbs is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its just struck me how much Conan O Brien Tubbs is.

They're a million miles apart, O'Brien is actually funny.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

giftgrub wrote: »
    They're a million miles apart, O'Brien is actually funny.

Can you image what the Simpsons would have been like in the excellent early 90s if Tubs was producing it instead of Conan.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭jmcc

iguana wrote: »
    Can you image what the Simpsons would have been like in the excellent early 90s if Tubs was producing it instead of Conan.:eek:
    Yeah. Lolek and Bolek. Those communist sypmathisers in RTE subjected kids in the 1970s to that rubbish. Tubridy looks like something out of that era.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Fuinseog wrote: »
    You would think the FF connnection would not still work with a new government in power. Tubbs, his cousin David Mcsavage and glenda gilson all got in on the FF ticket.

never knew they were cousins, the savage eye's one of the best irish shows rte's ever had on i'd say. Deserve's to be on the tv

change of tone?

By Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

Tuesday September 20 2011
    'LATE Late' host Ryan Tubridy could allow himself a small pat on the back yesterday after gaining 177,000 viewers last Friday.

For the third week running, the flagship RTE programme was the most watched programme on Irish TV as it drew an average of 744,000 viewers, giving Tubs his highest numbers so far this season.

It was a big increase on the 577,000 average of 'The Late Late Show' on the previous Friday but Tubridy wasn't getting carried away.

"There's the temptation for a wry smile but the ratings of 'The Late Late Show' have always been an up-and-down business, and will continue to be."

The centre-piece of last Friday's show was an appearance by Senator David Norris to announce he was re-entering the race for the presidency.

Commentators suggested Tubridy had "fluffed" the interview and subjected Mr Norris "to a cack-handed and maladroit inquisition".

However, the host (37) rejected the criticism and said the print attacks were fuelled by media jealousy.

"'The Late Late Show' landed an exclusive -- not me personally, but my team. Not everyone would have been happy about that. I don't read the critics but all the people I've spoken to had a very favourable response to the interview with Senator Norris."

This was backed up by the senator himself, who said Tubridy "did a completely professional job".

But there was more controversy after 'Prime Time' presenter Miriam O'Callaghan's Twitter account was hacked to describe the edition as "utter rubbish".

"Miriam has always been very supportive of both myself and 'The Late Late Show," Tubridy said. "It's things like this which remind me why getting off Twitter was one of the best decisions I made in 2011."

- Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Miriam O'Callaghan says it was hacked ;)

mike65 wrote: »
    Miriam O'Callaghan says it was hacked ;)
    yeah that story is in the indo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it was the indo who kept dragging up his ratings as if the late late was dying...now they're playing up his ratings...jaysus the irish media makes me angry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DLB wrote:
    What I love seeing is constructive criticism because I like to learn.
    Fair enough. Ryan - your Late Late Show is boring, repetitive, fake, predictable, shallow and celebrity-obsessed with "celebrity" usually being the "celebrities" from some UK reality based tat.

Could you possibly change the show so that it's interesting, changeable, truthful, surprising, deep and obsessed with people and things that actually matter?
    Thanks in advance but I'm not holding my breath...............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Fair enough. Ryan - your Late Late Show is boring, repetitive, fake, predictable, shallow and celebrity-obsessed with "celebrity" usually being the "celebrities" from some UK reality based tat.

Could you possibly change the show so that it's interesting, changeable, truthful, surprising, deep and obsessed with people and things that actually matter?
    Thanks in advance but I'm not holding my breath...............

Is that Tubs fault or the show's format?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is that Tubs fault or the show's format?
    His Tubridy Tonight (or whatever his previous show was called) had all the same faults. I would therefore think it's Tub's fault rather than the show per se.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

DeepBlue wrote: »
    His Tubridy Tonight (or whatever his previous show was called) had all the same faults. I would therefore think it's Tub's fault rather than the show per se.

Then blame his interviewing technique. The choice of guests isn't the fault of Tubs.

Advertisement