Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy has 16 weeks to save his career

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

pixelburp wrote: »

The series can't make up its mind whether it's a variety-act show, a lightweight primetime chatshow, or a serious current affairs / human interest program. Instead it tries to be all three, with horrible results. So please RTÉ: pick one and run with it, because it's not fun to be one minute watching Pat Shortt mucking about with the audience & his funny wigs, and the next listening to someone talk of being sexually abused as a child. As I said, it's jarring and a complete turn off as light entertainment on a Friday evening.

I agree. The Late-Late Show of old also mixed material but they seemed to be able to separate the strands in a way that didn't jar or offend. It just comes down to some common sense surely.

Irish TV doesn't really seem to do pizazz and light frothy humor all that well. In fact, it often comes off as fourth rate and forced. As well as that, having on some of these awful awful mindless guests ; giggling models and quiffed singers with absolutely not an interesting thought in their heads are just a total turn off. (For me, I cannot claim to represent the tastes of the nation. :))

Gay Byrne had a rapport with his guests and it's something that his successors have all too often lacked. The show now is just a total plastic mockery of what it once was. Time to scrap the whole lot and start again I think.

And, oh yes, down with Tubs! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

briany wrote: »

Gay Byrne had a report with his guests and it's something that his successors have all too often lacked.

If by rapport you mean condescend, then yes he did

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

youngblood wrote: »
    briany wrote: »

Gay Byrne had a report with his guests and it's something that his successors have all too often lacked.

If by rapport you mean condescend, then yes he did[/Quote

Call Gay what you like but he is a good interviewer. Unlike Ryan, he has a way of making his guests feel relaxed, comfortable, thereby drawing out more than the average tv host. Ryan is too self aware to even notice his guests half the time. His failure to ask the right questions is another pet peeve of mine. He is far too americanised, even his teeth look ridiculous. Jarring is the perfect word to describe Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Are the 16 weeks up yet?
    Where are we on the countdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

youngblood wrote: »
    Are the 16 weeks up yet?
    Where are we on the countdown?

Agreed....we need clarity on this asap.

Have never understood Tubber's appeal & why he was apparently destined for stardom since his teenage years. He makes Brendan O'Connor look good ffs!!!

He could be interviewing a reincarnated Elvis, Nelson Mandela, Bill Clinton and Eammon Dunphy and the show would still be unwatchable, cringeworthy sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Was sickening earlier this week to hear Tubs read the stats from the new Anglo Irish bank book.

The €200,000 worth of golf balls n all that.

Course we must remember Tubs' extended family helped create the political arena that allowed Anglo to thrive during the boom

Please disappear Tubs.

Also your interview with Paul McGrath this week on radio was crass, showed he knew nothing about the achievements of the soccer team Paul played in, Ryan was probably too busy brown nosing in the RTE corridors at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Was sickening earlier this week to hear Tubs read the stats from the new Anglo Irish bank book.

Course we must remember Tubs' extended family helped create the political arena that allowed Anglo to thrive during the boom

Please disappear Tubs.

Also your interview with Paul McGrath this week on radio was crass, showed he knew nothing about the achievements of the soccer team Paul played in, Ryan was probably too busy brown nosing in the RTE corridors at the time.

What a bitter nasty little post. Tubridy is not responsible for what his family may, or may not, have done, any more that you are. Your comments about him "brown nosing" merely display your prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

easychair wrote: »

Please disappear Tubs.

What a bitter nasty little post. Tubridy is not responsible for what his family may, or may not, have done, any more that you are. Your comments about him "brown nosing" merely display your prejudice.
    That's rich coming from somebody that hates him one day and loves him the next

jimmynokia wrote: »
    That's rich coming from somebody that hates him one day and loves him the next

Oh dear. You seem to think there are only two positions to take, to either hate Tubridy and all he does, or to love Turbridy and all he does.

I am a grown up and am able to dislike his style of presenting, while at the same time liking the man. You come over as unable to do that, and seem to think that because you dislike his style of presenting, then you must also hate everything else about him, and rubbish anyone else who agrees with you that they dislike his style of presentation, but are not able to join you in your apparent hatred of everything else to do with him.

Even if I did dislike Tubridy, I am still able to spot a nasty bitter post like the one I commented upon, and to dislike the unfairness of such a post. If you think the post is fair, and its ok to come over as b itter and nasty towards Turbidy personally, then thats where we differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 one eye

The sooner Tubridy joins Marty Whelan and a long list of other hopefuls, with or without political connections, on the road to obscurity the better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Poly wrote: »
    Newstalk this morning were discussing a possible sell-off of RTE. Tubs and the rest of the "stars" might be collecting their P45's

There has never been a better time to flog RTE and flatten the playing field.
    Then the Tv licence could dissapper on the hard pressed tax payer as it is, and RTE could live in the real commerical world, and actually work for their revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Call Gay what you like but he is a good interviewer. Unlike Ryan, he has a way of making his guests feel relaxed, comfortable, thereby drawing out more than the average tv host.
    Does the name Annie Murphy mean anything to you?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    There has never been a better time to flog RTE and flatten the playing field.
    Then the Tv licence could dissapper on the hard pressed tax payer as it is, and RTE could live in the real commerical world, and actually work for their revenues.

While I agree that the licence fee is unjust and is used by RTE is a disgraceful way, its unlikely RTE will be sold for the very reason that no one would be likely to want to buy a company which lost €20 million this year after it received however many hundreds of millions it received from the licence fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

its unlikely RTE will be sold for the very reason that no one would be likely to want to buy .

there's an easy way to find out.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

RGDATA! wrote: »
    to sum up - let's not throw the bathwater out with the baby.
    That could be RTE's motto. They're still trying to find the "right fit" for Grainne Seoige after about a dozen different shows - haven't they noticed she has no charisma, shows no emotion and has no ability to relate to guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

That video shown of the guy fighting in Libya on the Late Late on Friday. They didn't show or mention that in a different part of that very video-piece the Irish guy shoots a man to death.
    Here it is for all to see!!!!
    seen at 2mins 58 seconds
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d22_1314916981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does the name Annie Murphy mean anything to you?

True but the number of fvck ups in a career spanning several decades can still be counted on one hand pretty much (Gerry Adams was another misjudgement). With Tubbers its a hand per series.

While I agree that the licence fee is unjust and is used by RTE is a disgraceful way, its unlikely RTE will be sold for the very reason that no one would be likely to want to buy a company which lost €20 million this year after it received however many hundreds of millions it received from the licence fee.

So YOU actually understand the licence fee now?

I've understood it for many years, it's not difficult to understand, and your attempts to nit pick and be patronising say more about you and the type of person you are than you probably realise. You come over as a small man who tries to find any "fault" you can about someone who does not share your opinions, and let your personal prejudice cloud your judgement, while you nit pick and try to patronise those with whom you disagree about irrelevent minor issues.

Most of us here are able to disagree with others without resorting to nit pickling and being patronising towards them, and that you seem unable to do it is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

LLS viewship drops to 577,000.
    RTE and Gaybo insist the Show will go on for Ryan

Tuesday September 13 2011

LATE Late presenter Ryan Tubridy lost 70,000 more viewers last Friday night but will continue as host of the most-watched show on Irish television.

New figures show 577,000 viewers tuned in to see guests, including former international soccer star Ronnie Whelan, chat with Tubridy.

This was significantly down on the previous week when 650,000 watched the first programme of the season, even though it was on the same night as an international football match.

Despite the new fall in 'Late Late' viewers, RTE last night said it remained "happy" with the 42pc audience share that the chat show commanded last Friday. It had a peak of more than 700,000 viewers at 9.59pm.

"This is a very strong performance for RTE and the 'Late Late'," a spokeswoman told the Irish Independent. "42pc of people watching television chose to watch the 'Late Late' on a Friday night. This is despite the fact that over 70pc of viewers in Ireland have hundreds of digital channels to choose from."

Station chiefs were also keen to point out that, by comparison, in the UK the 'X-Factor' achieved a 43pc share on Saturday night.

However, the RTE programme's figures are down on last year when 832,000 tuned into the first show of the season, and the second show attracted 642,000 viewers.

Last night, former 'Late Late' host Gay Byrne defended Tubridy, who has also been under pressure because of a falloff in listeners to his 2fm radio show.

Byrne said: "Ryan is doing a good job. He dropped some viewers but I'm sure he will pick them up in the weeks ahead. 'The Late Late Show' losing and gaining viewers is a pattern that has been going on for 50 years."

Veteran

But the veteran broadcaster can afford to relax about ratings -- after pulling in nearly half a million viewers each week to his 'One Night Only' summer replacement for 'The Late Late Show'.

"I'm surprised because 'One Night Only' was never supposed to be a big ratings show. It was just a filler," said Byrne.

The veteran broadcaster also said reports that the national broadcaster snubbed Tubridy to ask him to host New Year's Eve celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of RTE TV, were wide of the mark.

"I haven't agreed to do the New Year's Eve programme. It was mentioned to me but I didn't say yes or no," he said,.

The 70-year-old's next project is hosting a one-man show at The Gate Theatre on Sunday night in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.

And after briefly being linked to the race for the Presidency, the TV personality said he would "seriously consider" voting for Senator David Norris if he launched a renewed campaign on 'The Late Late Show' this Friday night.

"What I have learned about the Irish people doing TV and radio for 50 years is that they have great common sense. That prevails in the end and there would be a good deal of support for Senator Norris if he came back into the race.

"What I would fear, if he was elected, would be what the foreign press would do to him."

- Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/rte-and-gaybo-insist-the-show-will-go-on-for-ryan-2874259.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

The 70-year-old's next project is hosting a one-man show at The Gate Theatre on Sunday night in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.

Ugh, I can't stand when journalists get dates and ages wrong. Its just lazy jour...oh wait, its the Indo.

Carry on...:o

I've understood it for many years, it's not difficult to understand, and your attempts to nit pick and be patronising say more about you and the type of person you are than you probably realise. You come over as a small man who tries to find any "fault" you can about someone who does not share your opinions, and let your personal prejudice cloud your judgement, while you nit pick and try to patronise those with whom you disagree about irrelevent minor issues.

Most of us here are able to disagree with others without resorting to nit pickling and being patronising towards them, and that you seem unable to do it is sad.
    It's been noted here and on other threads your opinion changes daily easychair and you nit pick you follow with the same sensless answers;you have followed me like a bad smell even onto something totally different where somebody was desperately looking for help and got the thread closed due to your silly comments,would you not just go away unless you have something constructive to say rather than troll

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't mean to be rude, but tubridy threads are supposed to be fun! Relax man!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

mike65 wrote: »
    With Tubbers its a hand per series.

Two Jazz Hands per series I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there a graph of late late viewership over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

is there a graph of late late viewership over the years?

No, but here's a recent one...

down_graph-blog_thumbnail1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Used to watch it fervently don't bother now , nothing against Tubbs but show is dire, much better things on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hootanany wrote: »
    Used to watch it fervently don't bother now , nothing against Tubbs but show is dire, much better things on TV.

You really do have to wonder whether, in today's TV climate and the general culture, anything could save the Late Late show from further decline? The efforts of the show to appear 21st century and now are not going to do so, in my opinion, and it's never going to go back to having the kind of gravitas it had when Byrne was at the helm (but I'm probably just waxing nostalgic there).

It's still pulling in half a million viewers, if you believe that report (rapport?:p) , which is not shameful by any means but the more people switch off, the more desperate the show might become to attract viewers back to the show.

Hoping, for the show's sake, that it won't go through some sort of "circus" period before finally being axed. (Some wags might try to point out we're there already....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Well, the Greeks are ditching their state tv due to cutbacks so here's hoping Tubster and the rest of the massively inflated public salaried gibbons get a dose of reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Imagine turning on the telly to discover it was TV3, 3e and nothing else*!

* apart from the scores of channels on Sat and cable

Advertisement