Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy has 16 weeks to save his career

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its tubs fault full stop
    whatever topic he may be given to discuss he directs it to what he wants to talk about,i have given up even tuning in for the laugh on the radio as whenever ive turned it on its about the same thing death and illness,thats just to start with.
    I would say that the producers are pointing guns at his head on the other side of the glass at this stage,he will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

jimmynokia wrote: »
    its tubs fault full stop
    whatever topic he may be given to discuss he directs it to what he wants to talk about,i have given up even tuning in for the laugh on the radio as whenever ive turned it on its about the same thing death and illness,thats just to start with.
    I would say that the producers are pointing guns at his head on the other side of the glass at this stage,he will never change.

So perhaps they need to leave out the serious illness section.

The show itself has to take a lot of the blame - Tubs seemed fine and quite popular on the Saturday show.

So perhaps they need to leave out the serious illness section.

The show itself has to take a lot of the blame - Tubs seemed fine and quite popular on the Saturday show.

and the rest....
    He has turned the late late into doom and gloom
    HE still manages to get topics onto his own preferences on the radio

Simply management have failed again and continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The problems with Tubs are

(a) he doesn't seem to have much of an interest in the people he interviews. He seems to think that he needs to interview his guests rather than to have an interesting conversation with them. In fact, he doesn't seem to be able to carry on a normal conversation with any of his guests.

(b) he gives nothing of himself away and so could be replaced by a robot which just issues questions.

(c) he thinks that the viewer is more interested in the tabloid story than the person. Cuba Gooding Jnr was a great guest on Norton - Tubs went for Tabloid questioning.

(d) he comes across as inauthentic.

If he cannot face up to these facts then he'll never improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

jimmynokia wrote: »

Ryan Tubridy has between now and Christmas to save his career.

Now that we are a third of the way to Christmas, has he saved his career yet?

• Advertisement

easychair wrote: »
    Now that we are a third of the way to Christmas, has he saved his career yet?
    ##]
    imo no
    but im sure you have your own thoughts about that as you know everything about RTE and mr tubridy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

god i wish they would amalgamate rte into tg4 rather than the other way around...........the stuff tg4 produces is great in comparison to the overbloated mess that is rte,

i mean look for god sake they have the likes of claire byrine and grainne seoige wasted in light fluffy material when they could have them hosting primetime and the 6.01 news, why do they have ryan tubridy there when there are FAR more capable people of hosting a friday night entertainment (that word)show.

My dream for the LATE LATE Show is for them to get Sean Moncrieff from Newstalk to host it, quirky off the cuff when he needs to be and serious and sensitive when the situation calls for it and not fake....... from listening to him the last year; he seems like a geuninely funny guy and has a real interest in people, He can almost talk on any topic and you could almost see him grinning when he gets a wacko guest and we're all in the joke, he's probably the best Irish radio presenter at the mo

The job would fit him like a glove

but will they trim the fat and call the for drastic changes needed to save RTE from irrelvamce, unlikely

Adamantium wrote: »

but will they trim the fat and call the for drastic changes needed to save RTE from irrelvamce, unlikely

I wonder who is the they who you wonder will trim the fat?

If you are waiting for your "they" to take action, I am guessing you will be waiting a long time.

Many years ago, I decided to give up tv and now contribute not one red cent to RTE. Rather than fruitlessly waiting for "they" to change it all, have you considered taking action yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭forgetful1

I wonder who is the they who you wonder will trim the fat?

If you are waiting for your "they" to take action, I am guessing you will be waiting a long time.

Many years ago, I decided to give up tv and now contribute not one red cent to RTE. Rather than fruitlessly waiting for "they" to change it all, have you considered taking action yourself?
    i'm doing the same thing and i dont watch anything on rte

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Baahahahaha, I find it amusing that people think Tubridy is in danger regarding his job.
    The man works for RTE and fronts their most popular show.
    Clowns around those parts wouldn't ever think of actually giving someone with drive and talent a job, apart from the odd fluke.

Doesn't matter, Dara O'Briain will do it after Tubridy leaves...

No, wait...he got far away from that RTE shower a long time ago,
    about the same time he realised he actually had talent.

So, we'll be stuck with Tubridy for a fair few years, unless he is properly poached by the BBC,
    which is a possibility as I don't think the Beeb is doing too well these days either.

In short, Ryan Tubridy shít, Dara O'Briain good, BBC not as shít as RTE.

Neil (used to be funny) Delamere to host Late Late after Tubridy leaves.
    Yeah, Dara O'Briain was the man. Delamere too light. Knowing our luck they'll give it to DottyO'Shea or whatever he's called.

Not an easy task, I have to say. Dara's about the only one i can think of who has the human touch, the warmth, the humour, the intelligence for the tough interviews, the broad awareness of arts, politics, literature, culture, technology, history etc etc.

a big loss.

Tubbs was a wannabee LLS host at all costs. He's an attention seeker, not a humanoid

ps, as for Grainne O saoige or any of that nonsense, forrgettabouttitt

And what's worse, is we need a good LLS now more than ever. O'Briain is the perfect man for the job, even at a cost of a mil a year. He'd take it to , if he got a 5 yr contract.

I say this as the LLS was a vital part of Ireland growing up. Under tubbs it's become a tabloid piece of 'wannbe Conan' drivel. I think is end is nigh tbh.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The problems with Tubs are

(a) he doesn't seem to have much of an interest in the people he interviews. He seems to think that he needs to interview his guests rather than to have an interesting conversation with them. In fact, he doesn't seem to be able to carry on a normal conversation with any of his guests.

(b) he gives nothing of himself away and so could be replaced by a robot which just issues questions.

(c) he thinks that the viewer is more interested in the tabloid story than the person. Cuba Gooding Jnr was a great guest on Norton - Tubs went for Tabloid questioning.

(d) he comes across as inauthentic.

10/10. perfect analysis.

He just wanted the big chair, for his own gratification.

what we need is a human, with intellectual strength, emotional courage and emotional intelligence*, but able to be light, funny - can appeal to all age groups, can handle the heavy stuff, has common sense, savvy,
    In truth it is a tough call - but i do think Dara O Briain has all of the above.

*something tubbs has NONE of.

well I'm on my high horse so...

The thing is the format of the LLS is quite unusual.

it's both local and national (and sometimes international)

the young boy of 15 who saved his Dad from a drowning

or the small inner city group who 'fought back' and made a difference

or the small Dublin tobacconist who celebrates 100 yrs in business

or the Meath farmer who swam the channel to raise money for - whatever

or the ballygobackwards dance troup which made it to the blah blah finals.

all 'local' stories, stories people can connect to in some fashion.

then it has the national/ international.

so it not like Conan or Jonathan Ross* anything like that. It was always a pretty accurate reflection of Irishness, locally and internationally. It had the 'small' story which was given as much prominence as the big story.

i think RTE forgot that, they didnt believe it could continue in that line.

but it can and should.

all they need is a capable - human, host.

* the Ross thing is for the Sat night. if fairness tubbs did that reasonable well, he should be sent back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The LLS was finished the day Pat took over and dispensed with the audience participation. That was the kiss of death. Turdbridy should have brought it back. It's the only way to get a good row going. Rows mean viewers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭maygitchell

Row you say?

You....and gay....byrne....arsheholes....

Why thank you

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The LLS was finished the day Pat took over and dispensed with the audience participation. That was the kiss of death. Turdbridy should have brought it back. It's the only way to get a good row going. Rows mean viewers

That was ongoing with Pat Kenny. That's something Kenny is actually very good at and he still does on The Frontline now. He was hardly going to stop doing the thing he has a talent for and only do the things he doesn't, like light entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

@rtetvpress
    Friday night's #LateLateShow attracted an average 728,700 viewers, 46% of the available audience. The programme reached 1.45m viewers.

Colmo52 wrote: »

Not bad, but not great either. I still maintain the LLS should have nothing to do with political debates.

It's going up against the Ireland-Andorra match and USA X Factor this Friday. Unless they have Britney Spears as a guest, it's going to be a bad week for the LLS.

ArtSmart wrote: »

so it not like Conan or Jonathan Ross* anything like that. It was always a pretty accurate reflection of Irishness, locally and internationally. It had the 'small' story which was given as much prominence as the big story.

but it can and should.

* the Ross thing is for the Sat night. if fairness tubbs did that reasonable well, he should be sent back to that.

I'm surprised that someone actually wants to retain the current format of the LLS. Why? It's dire on a Friday night to hear about a disease or someone that is losing their house...dire. The show goes on for over 2 hours..what's with that!??

If you get a more "human" host like Dara O'Brien, the serious parts will have to be ditched as he wouldn't be able to do it nor would he want to. It's probably why so many "human" or decent interviewers aren't interested in the LLS.

I'm surprised that someone actually wants to retain the current format of the LLS. Why? It's dire on a Friday night to hear about a disease or someone that is losing their house...dire. The show goes on for over 2 hours..what's with that!??

:D
    It's dire cos tubbs can't do it. at all. his approach is to extract the emotional juice, fair nuff, but he does it crudely. when gay did it, it was done so well, you didnt even know it was happening, it was painless and fulfilling - a rare talent. Also gay had enough positive stories to counter the bad uns.

Gay wasnt perfect, but he could do the 'caring ' bit right down to the bone.

If you get a more "human" host like Dara O'Brien, the serious parts will have to be ditched as he wouldn't be able to do it nor would he want to. It's probably why so many "human" or decent interviewers aren't interested in the LLS.
    Em, you havent seen Dara on QI or Mock the Week or Have I got news for you, or his excellent intelligence and warmth in his stand-up, I assume?
    The man is an major intellect but with the light touch. unlike Pat Kenny (smart but robotic)

ETA. As for the format, without that , without the 'local' story the LLS would just be a pale imitation of the usual dross out there, like the Turbidy Show was.
    ETA 2 And by intelligence, i dont just mean the usual, O'Briain also has emotional intelligence and the ability to interact with an audience and stay masterfully in control.(evident from his stand-up)

Anyway, we've lost him to Britland, so no point in talking bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

but it can and should.

The problem is that these disparate elements are just thrown together without regard to any sort of coherence. You can go from Kerry Katona to multiple sclerosis to a painfully unfunny comedian to suicide and then a bit of a ceili. The culchie fodder you mention is much better handled on Nationwide than on a "live" "light" "entertainment" show. The LLS got a new host and it just got worse. Even DOB couldn't make the current show work.

• Advertisement

nk management have decided to flaunt recent viewers results
    but this figure will not hold

http://twitter.com/#!/nkmanagement

there was a tweet from rte stating the same seems to have been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Em, you havent seen Dara on QI or Mock the Week or Have I got news for you, or his excellent intelligence and warmth in his stand-up, I assume?
    The man is an major intellect but with the light touch. unlike Pat Kenny (smart but robotic)

Thanks. I am related to him

goose2005 wrote: »
    The problem is that these disparate elements are just thrown together without regard to any sort of coherence. You can go from Kerry Katona to multiple sclerosis to a painfully unfunny comedian to suicide and then a bit of a ceili. The culchie fodder you mention is much better handled on Nationwide than on a "live" "light" "entertainment" show. The LLS got a new host and it just got worse. Even DOB couldn't make the current show work.
    lol. very true.

though i do remember in the Gay years, it seems to have a rhythm, a 3 part mix, but not set in stone. either way, surely its not beyond human capability
    to get it right?

what's that? RTE? course then can. (cough)

There are two problems with RTE and the Late Late Show.

The first is that RTE is poorly managed, with little imagination and virtually no innovation. The bad management extends to vastly overpaying their "talent" and thinking that they are in such a monopoly position that the Irish listener and viewer has no choice but just to put up with whoever they select for certain slots.

The second thing wrong with RTE is that the public falls for the above hook, line and sinker, they keep watching and listening. For example, how many people in this thread watch the Late Late show every week, and then come here to tell us all how dreadful it is, and to criticise the host, the show, the guests and anything elst they can think of. If no one watched the show, RTE would have no option but to change it.

No one forces anyone to watch the show, and it seems curious that many seem to have a love hate relationship with it (and with Tubridy), and seem to like nothing better than to watch the show and then want to tell everyone else how dreadful it all is.

Here in the UK, if someone doesn't like a tv show, they don't watch it.

There are two problems with RTE and the Late Late Show.

The first is that RTE is poorly managed, with little imagination and virtually no innovation. The bad management extends to vastly overpaying their "talent" and thinking that they are in such a monopoly position that the Irish listener and viewer has no choice but just to put up with whoever they select for certain slots.

The second thing wrong with RTE is that the public falls for the above hook, line and sinker, they keep watching and listening. For example, how many people in this thread watch the Late Late show every week, and then come here to tell us all how dreadful it is, and to criticise the host, the show, the guests and anything elst they can think of. If no one watched the show, RTE would have no option but to change it.

No one forces anyone to watch the show, and it seems curious that many seem to have a love hate relationship with it (and with Tubridy), and seem to like nothing better than to watch the show and then want to tell everyone else how dreadful it all is.

Here in the UK, if someone doesn't like a tv show, they don't watch it.
    how times have we seen this kind of reply now.
    lost count at this stage and somewhat boring

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

jimmynokia - cut it out. After reviewing this thread, you seem to be trying your hardest to rub people up the wrong way.

Lets keep things friendly, folks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

I think maybe Anton Savage might be up for the job? Totally inexperienced of course, and he's all tied up with the Apprentice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Sentid wrote: »
    I think maybe Anton Savage might be up for the job? Totally inexperienced of course, and he's all tied up with the Apprentice :(

Moncrieff is the only man for the job, able to transition from serious to light stuff with ease. I think he could raise the IQ level a few notches too. Cut out he celebrity bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sentid wrote: »
    Sure, nepotism got Tubs the job and I'm sure it will work well for Anton also. Lack of talent didn't hold Tubs back and should prove no barrier to Anton either. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Ryan's show on a Friday night was light amusement, just what you need after crashing home from work. But Saturday night viewers have now recovered from their labours and their minds are alert, seeking out intelligent debate. Ryan does not get it. We are not getting it either. Gay Byrne had empathy, and some of his best shows were when the audience were involved (even if some of them were planted). I've given up looking at RTE on a Saturday night.

Advertisement