Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy has 16 weeks to save his career

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

If ye all stopped tunin' into the abomination that's the 'Sh*t" show....maybe RTE might pull 'da plug' on Tubridy.

As it is, ye all tune in and then start firin' hissy fits for 6 days til the next one comes round.

Tools....next....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

books4sale wrote: »
    If ye all stopped tunin' into the abomination that's the 'Sh*t" show....maybe RTE might pull 'da plug' on Tubridy.

As it is, ye all tune in and then start firin' hissy fits for 6 days til the next one comes round.

Tools....next....

It is a curious feature of some here that they say they dislike a show or presenter, but then unfailingly never miss a show and then rush here to day how dreadful it is.

Following the Turbridy thread in the Radio threads here, I watched part of the Late Late show last night, having not seen it for some time. I was genuinely appalled at Tubridys handling of the show, and the one potentially interesting article from those I saw, an examination of the role of the catholic church in running schools, was ruined by Tubridys handling, where he rushed everyone who wanted to speak, and turned what might have been an interesting discussion into something which was pointless and not even enjoyable to watch.

In the parts of the show which I did see, I felt Tubridy was trivial, superficial and unable to engage and connect with guests or the audience. Hhe seems to just want to rush rush rush through everything, and seems more interested in his own views than those of the audience. I wondered how Gay Byrne or even Pat Kenny might have handled the audience during, for example, the catholic church in schools discussion, and realised that Tubridy is, by far, the worst ever presenter of the Late Late show, if last nights performance was anything to go by.

I'll certainly not be watching it again by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

easychair wrote: »

Tools....next....

It is a curious feature of some here that they say they dislike a show or presenter, but then unfailingly never miss a show and then rush here to day how dreadful it is.

Following the Turbridy thread in the Radio threads here, I watched part of the Late Late show last night, having not seen it for some time. I was genuinely appalled at Tubridys handling of the show, and the one potentially interesting article from those I saw, an examination of the role of the catholic church in running schools, was ruined by Tubridys handling, where he rushed everyone who wanted to speak, and turned what might have been an interesting discussion into something which was pointless and not even enjoyable to watch.

In the parts of the show which I did see, I felt Tubridy was trivial, superficial and unable to engage and connect with guests or the audience. Hhe seems to just want to rush rush rush through everything, and seems more interested in his own views than those of the audience. I wondered how Gay Byrne or even Pat Kenny might have handled the audience during, for example, the catholic church in schools discussion, and realised that Tubridy is, by far, the worst ever presenter of the Late Late show, if last nights performance was anything to go by.

I'll certainly not be watching it again by choice.
    apart from the first few lines i agree yet confused you moan about people listening or watching tubs yet your here yourself doing the same thing.
    But im sure you have an idea now Whats going on and makes people watch or listen to see what rubbish he keeps rolling out and RTE let him.

Grouse, whinge, whine, moan!

See that box in ye're hands with all them buttons....ya, it changes the channel.
    What's wrong with you people?

You don't like Turbidy, then ......STOP WATCHIN' IT!

Tubridy isn't the problem........Look in the mirror.

....this country ...sometimes!

See that box in ye're hands with all them buttons....ya, it changes the channel.

if you have nothing constructive to say its best to say nothing rather than shout:D

• Advertisement

Not being in Ireland myself, I had to watch it online. We don't have a tv so would in any case be unable to watch it on tv. Do you make a habit of seeming to rush to incorrect conclusions, or is this post of yours untypical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

My synopsis of your post... "I'm on ye're side now lads".. lol .. Seriously though, the Cuba interview really show his lack of ability to think on his feet... Once it's off the cue cards, he's lost... He should have realised that he was seriously pissing him off by his line of questioning, and move the questioning to something like his family/kids to bring him back onside.. Instead he asks him about movies from years ago.. and MacGyver..

Not being in Ireland myself, I had to watch it online. We don't have a tv so would in any case be unable to watch it on tv. Do you make a habit of seeming to rush to incorrect conclusions, or is this post of yours untypical?

Hey Easychair, thats cool n all, no TV, no license fee, no Tubridy!

Ya, feel free to check out my other posts, should keep you amused for a while :D

Alright dude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

jimmynokia wrote: »
    if you have nothing constructive to say its best to say nothing rather than shout:D

+1, bold letters is bad enough, but colours?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭forgetful1

i always thought once gay byrne left the late late show it should have been replaced

• Advertisement

Tools....next....

There is only one tool here.

"coughs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Something about the man that would make ya want to puck the head of the ****er, but in all honesty does ratings really mean a ****e to these RTE stars. Sure look at Marian Finnucane, 4 hours on the radio a week and she is on 250,000 a week, just a past reputation but rte dont really like freshning up there station do they. Guess what Im saying is we shall more than likely have tubridy for a fair amount of time yet Im afraid.

Things are not that bad, of course they are not that good either as the 4 hours a week is notional at best given she is swanning about like a lady of leisure for at least 3 months of the year.

As for the future of Tubbs, I get the feeling there is a general groundswell of opinion developing about his shortcomings, cost of employment and failure to deliver numbers (esp on radio). I'm willing to predict this will be his last series of LLS and he'll be gone from 2FM before Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

mike65 wrote: »

As for the future of Tubbs, I get the feeling there is a general groundswell of opinion developing about his shortcomings, cost of employment and failure to deliver numbers (esp on radio). I'm willing to predict this will be his last series of LLS and he'll be gone from 2FM before Spring.

Replacements Mike?? I'd love to see Moncrieff on the LLS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Tubridy and the Late Late need to go. One is an arrogant condescending prick and the other is a tired dinosaur of a format that should have been left in the last century where it belonged.

A waste of money no matter what way you look at it.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Tubridy and the Late Late need to go. One is an arrogant condescending prick and the other is a tired dinosaur of a format that should have been left in the last century where it belonged.

I often think those who call others names say more about themselves than those who they are calling names.

Tubridy is probably a fine man, but currently miscast in his role.

It sometimes appears there is an element of pleasure taken in criticism, and that is not a trait I'd be proud of if it were in myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I often think those who call others names say more about themselves than those who they are calling names.

Tubridy is probably a fine man, but currently miscast in his role.

It sometimes appears there is an element of pleasure taken in criticism, and that is not a trait I'd be proud of if it were in myself.

I'm sure Ryan is a decent man too. I can't believe the vitriol i read about him. I'm not sure what he has done to deserve it.

Touch of the good old Irish begrudgery about it all :o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

transformers3.png

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be fair we don't know Tubbs was asked or if he said thanks but no thanks. Picking Gaybo for such an anniversary does make sense as he is one of the few left from that era.

mike65 wrote: »
    To be fair we don't know Tubbs was asked or if he said thanks but no thanks. Picking Gaybo for such an anniversary does make sense as he is one of the few left from that era.

Also the fact that he is broke RTE could of decided to ask him
    Tubbers has enough commitments right now and god only knows whats on his agenda,in the future and around the festive season im sure rte have something cosy for him.Maybe even the BBC,we will find out in time thats for sure.

• Advertisement

sunday world has nothing good to say at all just had a quick look in the local shop

LATE LATE SEASON OPENER -FLOP
    CBJ INTERVIEW- SHAMBLES
    CONOR NIALAND -UNIMPRESSIVE

over all not a good report by the SW
    words like cringeworthy,squirming audience,arms defensively crossed, lack of control.
    And they sum up the story by saying ryan was ONCE the golden boy,but he has been tested by two unimpressive seasons.

I actually feel sorry for him now.:eek:

After all of todays news he should step down but RTE defend him saying the late late lost viewers due to soccer highlights.
    He is lucky that they dont review the papers anymore and its a good excuse to shy away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭nc6000

Who is CBJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

nc6000 wrote: »
    Who is CBJ?

Probably a typo, CGJ - Cuba Gooding Junior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

RonMexico wrote: »

what would you replace it with though?
    the chat show in general may be a dinosaur of a format, but it's still a huge ratings puller all over the world.
    the distinguishing thing about the Late Late is that it mixes light and serious, which is a bit of a throwback now compared to US/UK where the flagship chat shows are all light.

i wouldn't like to see RTE abandon the format though.

one thing i like about the Late Late in theory is that has been a pretty influential forum, and every so often an important issue gets discussed, and a hell of a lot of people are tuned in. A lot of light has been shined on Irish life by it over the years.

Difficulty of the job is getting someone who can handle serious as well as light. Gay Byrne was at home at that in his era, and it's not something Wossy or David Letterman have to deal with.

Whatever would replace the Late Late would still be a chat show in front of a live audience.
    It's easy to watch flagship UK/US chatshows and cringe in comparison, but we don't have the roster of guests they have from the entertainment world, so any replacement is going to look like what we currently get with Miriam/O'Connor except with a few more A-list celebs, and we'd lose that occasional week where something really worthwhile gets aired.

Maybe two presenters would be an idea. Not a duo as such, but someone to handle the light, and someone to handle the heavier stuff. Take the focus off the problem of a single presenter filling both those roles. I don't think there's any reason to ditch the Late Late brand, and there are good reasons not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

to sum up - let's not throw the bathwater out with the baby.

RGDATA! wrote: »

Difficulty of the job is getting someone who can handle serious as well as light.

Moncrieff does it very well on radio, I'd love to see him get a crack at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Poly wrote: »
    Moncrieff does it very well on radio, I'd love to see him get a crack at it.

He had his chance back 1997, he's out of RTE now and I cant see them taking him on to host the flagship show. Not when they can just stick one of the Seoige sisters or Katheryn Thomas at it.

I think Matt Copper, would be paticularly suited to it. I also remember a lot of talk about Gerry Kelly from the north taking over from Gaybo back in 99

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This is great news, finally its a possibility we can get rid of him.
    I cant believe he has lasted this long.

• Advertisement

Newstalk this morning were discussing a possible sell-off of RTE. Tubs and the rest of the "stars" might be collecting their P45's

Advertisement