Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Edit: Just tried it with original HP charger & a USB from a Motorola Moto G - getting the left to right Home button flash again, so just gonna let it work away at that for the time being.

If the left right flashing of the home button is happening just let it charge away. When it builds up enough charge it will/should boot up itself. At least it does on Android.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

BenThere wrote: »
    When it builds up enough charge it will/should boot up itself. At least it does on Android.

Ben

Cheers for that Ben.

Just checked & it's booted up & showing a 9% charge. :)

T'was a 3-day process to get it up and running this time.

Having had a read of the thread, I'll see if there's a WebOs app to automate shutdown & save the battery from depleting completely.

Having had a read of the thread, I'll see if there's a WebOs app to automate shutdown & save the battery from depleting completely.

There is, it's called CyanogenMod http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/forum/504-hp-touchpad-tenderloin :D

Load the CyanogenMod version of Android on the TP along with the Llama app and you're good to go.

Note: I think you only need the Llama app in the stable release of CyanogenMod. If I remember correctly the nightlies have that functionality built in i.e. an auto shutdown when the battery reaches a low level.

Ben

I stuck Cyanogenmod on the Touchpad & really happy with the results. :)

As I'd never flashed a device before, maybe I was over cautious but I went for the last official release -i.e. CM9 Android 4.0.2 ICS

The only problem I'm encountering is the TP is not recognised when I connect to my laptop via USB. As such, I've no way of transferring Movie files etc. I've tried on a couple of machines running Win8 & Win7 but neither the TP or laptops show any sign of recognising the USB connection.

If I go into Settings>Storage on the TP, I can access USB options to connect as either - Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP). There's a third option Mass Storage (enable USB mass storage), but that's greyed out.

Anyone an idea as to how to correct this?

When you connect it to your PC and drop down the notification bar on the TP does it not offer you an option to connect as a media/storage device?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I have the same issue, so I boot into webos when I want to transfer files.

No Ben, nothing showing.

I guess booting into WebOs as suggested by Ballyv24 is a reasonable workaround.

Will have a trawl & see if it can be corrected solely within Android & report back if I find a fix.

MDVarfpl.jpg

No Ben, nothing showing.

I guess booting into WebOs as suggested by Ballyv24 is a reasonable workaround.

Will have a trawl & see if it can be corrected solely within Android & report back if I find a fix

It definitely can but I can't confirm exactly how as the screen on my TP is broken the moment :-(

Ben

Sorry 'bout you screen Ben, is it an expensive fix?

There's certainly something odd going on at this end. as I booted into WebOs & that won't recognise a USB connection either - only prompt that appears is the one telling you to charge device with the correct charger. I used AirDroid to transfer files over Wifi, but it's cumbersome tbh.

One avenue I haven't tried yet is mounting the device as Mass Storage / USB in ClockWorkMod. I wonder are you then able to drag & drop onto the TP as you would normally?

Also, with USB functionality compromised, is there a way I could run the ACMEUninstaller & see if CM10 corrects the problem I've experienced in CM9?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Yanmanoto

Have you tried looking at "My computer" to see if you can see the touchpad there, it show on my w7 machine as a portable media player I think, don't have it handy to check but it's at the bottom of the screen, you need to scroll down after opening my computer.
    Windows doesn't open the files automatically.

• Advertisement

loopymum wrote: »
    Have you tried looking at "My computer" to see if you can see the touchpad there...

Thanks loopymum.

Yep, have checked to see whether it was showing up there but no joy, unfortunately.

Just to update, I booted into ClockWorkMod and can mount it successfully as a USB Mass Storage Device from there.

It's definitely appears to be some odd software glitch or incompatibility issue though, as USB was recognised prior to the install of CM9 (and was obviously necessary for the installation itself). Odd though that it's now also present when booting to WebOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Anyone know where I can get parts for my TP 32gb ,little fella dropped it about two feet, screen not cracked, but i think digitizer board has packed it in, cheers

chris1970 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get parts for my TP 32gb ,little fella dropped it about two feet, screen not cracked, but i think digitizer board has packed it in, cheers

www.electronicpartner.ie €90 for a new screen including pick up and delivery. I know because they have my screen broken TP in for repair at the moment :-(

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

nc6000 wrote: »

i used that guide very recently....very easy to follow.

I just followed that tutorial to upgrade to 4.2.2 using this version of CM10.1 and also read the XDA version of the guide before taking the plunge, it can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2321397

"Jcsullins Full CM10.1 Bluetooth Build [20131210] based on Milaqs Nightly builds: (Roland Recommended)
    Notes: Low battery drain (-4mA to -10mA), h/w video, Audio & Mic, Camera, Pie Controls, Bluetooth + Bluetooth tethering."

ROM - http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/testing/cm-10.1-20131210-SNAPSHOT-VPN-tenderloin.zip with these gapps http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip

Bluetooth and Camera both seem to work fine which is a big plus, particularly Bluetooth for watching movies etc.

Anyone else on this version? Had a few Google+ FC's to start with but a reboot seems to have solved that little problem.

Nice that a 3 year old Tablet can get better!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭opus

I threw on the 4.4 version a month or two ago, works ok although the tablet is really just sitting around for whenever someone needs a bit of web browsing. Pretty sure the camera isn't working but not sure about Bluetooth tbh.

I looked at the 4.3 and 4.4 versions and none of them seemed to have both bluetooth and the camera working plus I couldn't figure out what additional benefits 4.3 or 4.4 would bring over a well sorted 4.2.2 with camera and bluetooth.

I'll keep an eye out for a stable 4.4 down the line. If it can get more oomph out of the CPU and a longer battery life I'll do another upgrade but for now I'm very happy with the version I installed. Played with it for a couple of hours last night and used it again this morning and it seems very slick and very stable so I'll stick with during the summer when it will get a lot of use as a mobile cinema/games arcade for the kids whilst we get the ferry and drive down through France etc.

It's still the best €200 I've ever spent (€100 original purchase price + €100 for a new screen recently) on a piece of IT. It just sits nicely on the touchstone charger waiting for anyone to pick it up to do a bit of browsing, watch some movies (Netflix and XBMC run perfectly on it), play some games or even stream live footy when "my" TV has been taken over by the rest of the family.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Hi Neacy69, My TP has been dead now for over a month. Tried all the usual tricks and tried charging with the touchstone, the official usb charger etc etc without success so I think it's time I shipped it off to www.electronicpartner.ie. Before I do can you confirm that the repair they did for you is holding up well?

Cheers,

Ben

Wifes TP is as dead as a Dodo, did this place work out for you and how much did it cost. Don't want to spend too much on this brick.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Wifes TP is as dead as a Dodo, did this place work out for you and how much did it cost. Don't want to spend too much on this brick.

Hi Fiskar,

If the TP is dead just plug it into the original charger and leave it for a couple of days. It can take that long to trickle charge to a point where the device will boot up. If you see any sign of life whatsoever when you plug it in you should be able to recover it no problem, particularly the LED on the home button blinking left/right. If you get a battery icon on the screen with a red diagonal line through it you are golden, that means it's charging up so just leave it.

If that doesn't work you should try another charger before sending it off to Electronic Partner. They replaced my screen and it's back 100%. The repair was good but bizarrely their job tracking doesn't live up to the perception created by the website. You need to stay on top of it. they had my job complete and didn't let me know, it was only when I rang to check on progress that triggered them to ship it back to me!!

BTW, if you do get it back up and running I recommend you install Llama from the Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama as that will allow you to set a profile whereby the TP will automatically shut down if it drops to 9% rather than go into the coma it seems to go into if the battery drops to (I think) 3%.

Hope that helps.

Ben

• Advertisement

Thanks Ben,

Don't know if the battery charge is the issue. it was 32% but would not boot into internet so I did a hard reset to power it down holding all 3 buttons. It went off alright and won't come back on. Will leave on charge and suss out that crowd next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Fiskar wrote: »
    Thanks Ben,

Don't know if the battery charge is the issue. it was 32% but would not boot into internet so I did a hard reset to power it down holding all 3 buttons. It went off alright and won't come back on. Will leave on charge and suss out that crowd next week.

When you plug it in to your pc, what does the pc tell you it is?

I have a bricked tp also, been like that for ages, I'm going to try the link posted here ages sometime soon.

I get the Q_Load or something similar. If you get Palm you should be grand.

loopymum wrote: »
    When you plug it in to your pc, what does the pc tell you it is?

I have a bricked tp also, been like that for ages, I'm going to try the link posted here ages sometime soon.

I get the Q_Load or something similar. If you get Palm you should be grand.

PC does not pick it up as a drive and nothing registers. It is a rather heavy paperweight ! Would not be laughing if I had paid full price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Force power off by holding power key and tapping menu button like 20 times. Then stick it in to charge for a few hours with the stock charger (or one that can provide that power). That should power it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone have a touchstone they might be willing to sell?

Force power off by holding power key and tapping menu button like 20 times. Then stick it in to charge for a few hours with the stock charger (or one that can provide that power). That should power it on.

Don't need to force power off, I need to force power on!
    I have it on charge again but do not hold much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Sometimes the tablet just goes black. Wont turn off, wont turn on, wont charge.

I wish more devices had removable batteries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Recently updated to cm10.2 which required partition resize. No longer have any camera app. Can you simply use any camera app from the Google store. Is there one that someone might recommend. Thanks

ouncer wrote: »
    Recently updated to cm10.2 which required partition resize. No longer have any camera app. Can you simply use any camera app from the Google store. Is there one that someone might recommend. Thanks

Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vStudio.Android.Camera360 It's supposed to be the business and has over 800,000 five star reviews!!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vStudio.Android.Camera360 It's supposed to be the business and has over 800,000 five star reviews!!

Ben

Being a computer repair guy, I would have thought that camera driver is specific to device. As such I'm at a loss as to why camera isn't an integrated function within the CyanogenMod HP touchpad on the 10.2 release. Am I missing something? As for 10.2 over CyanogenMod 9 I don't see anything fantastic. But hey, I like upgrading just in case:-)

Advertisement