Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks RB,

I actually think that's the ROM I already have on my TP installed via the more cumbersome AcmeInstaller process.

The battery death issue is a well known problem. If you let the TP drop below (I think) 3% or so it goes into a deep sleep and it can be a bitch to boot it back up again. It happened to me several times when I was on older ROM's and before I discovered Llama. I used to have to leave it plugged in for days at a time and eventually it would trickle charge enough into the battery so the home button would start flashing (white light surrounding the home button) followed a few hours later by the red battery icon on the screen followed an hour or so later by a normal boot up once it got to 8% or something like that.

I think the issue was dealt with in the more recent ROM's and is no longer a problem but I still use Llama to be sure to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ah, that battery death issue!

Yeah, I had it on other roms alrite. I just installed Llama again anyway just to be sure. Actually, what is the way your "rule" in Llama is configured? It's been a while since I set it up and remember it being somewhat complicated.

So it seems the tablet just randomly dies, can anyone recommend a stable rom? Flying to Vegas next month and do not want to be left tablet-less on the flight!

Also, tablet was at about 98% battery when it died. Haven't been able to get it going again.

So it seems the tablet just randomly dies, can anyone recommend a stable rom? Flying to Vegas next month and do not want to be left tablet-less on the flight!

Also, tablet was at about 98% battery when it died. Haven't been able to get it going again.

I installed a 4.2.2 ROM from this instruction process http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37965549#post37965549 It's described as

"c]CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 JB (20131210)cminstall package Download: (Roland Recommended)
    Notes:Low battery drain(-4mA to -10mA) h/w video, Audio & Mic, Camera, Bluetooth."

Very stable, the odd re-boot but other than that I can't complain and very little battery drain when not in use. I think it has a built in control to deal with the battery death issue but I use Llama just in case and have it set to shut down once the battery gets to 5%. Haven't had a battery problem since.

Have you been able to re-boot the device yet?

BenThere wrote: »
    I installed a 4.2.2 ROM from this instruction process http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37965549#post37965549 It's described as

"c]CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 JB (20131210)cminstall package Download: (Roland Recommended)
    Notes:Low battery drain(-4mA to -10mA) h/w video, Audio & Mic, Camera, Bluetooth."

Very stable, the odd re-boot but other than that I can't complain and very little battery drain when not in use. I think it has a built in control to deal with the battery death issue but I use Llama just in case and have it set to shut down once the battery gets to 5%. Haven't had a battery problem since.

Have you been able to re-boot the device yet?

Yes, seems like the volume up and volume down keys were reversed but she's back up and running now. Going to keep an eye on it but thabks for the links.

• Advertisement

Yes, seems like the volume up and volume down keys were reversed
    I think there's an option in Settings where you can reverse the up/down volume buttons if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

BenEadir wrote: »
    I think there's an option in Settings where you can reverse the up/down volume buttons if you want.

I've been having this volume issue also, that volume button setting doesn't really change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Sorry about that, here it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004XKG7NM

How did these cables work out? Will they charge the TP from dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

nc6000 wrote: »

When your touchpad is dead. Look at the charging unit and look at the amperes (amps) being output by the block plugged into the wall. The HP (dead) will not allow half the amps than fom the standard hp charger. So it needs to be trickle charged (ie. Bit at a time). If you were to plug in the touchpad to your laptop usb port it would come alive in approx 2 to 3 days. USB charging is really a trickle of a charge. Otherwise buy a charger that provides less than half the wattage of a current touchpad charger. Do not be put off by the message that the charger is not the right charger for your unit. The fact that you are seeing this message means your device is in fact charging. I learnt this the hard way.

nc6000 wrote: »

I can't say for certain as I never let it die but the TP accepts it as a charger and it seems to charge it pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

My touchpad is not charging - getting the empty battery symbol and connect cable sign. Think I may have damaged the USB connection at the bottom. Does anyone in the Cork Area have a touchstone I could borrow to see if I can get it back to life. Tried multiple cables and chargers and nothing happening

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Tweaky wrote: »
    My touchpad is not charging - getting the empty battery symbol and connect cable sign. Think I may have damaged the USB connection at the bottom. Does anyone in the Cork Area have a touchstone I could borrow to see if I can get it back to life. Tried multiple cables and chargers and nothing happening

Thanks

you may need to leave it plugged into a wall and charging for a couple days to make it come back to life. Don't let the battery drain completely, it really FUBARs the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Guys, talk about Murphyl law!

Just got a buyer for my Hp Touchpad and I just went to do a factory reset on it to erase all data of it before giving it to the buyer. I looked up online and found that if you simultaneously hold dieback the volume, power and middle buttons it should prepare to factory reset.

Well I just tried this and the Touchpad has completely died on me!

It was got charged before I attempted to factory reset and I've just plugged it in to see if that would help kick start it and nothing!

I've never had any issues with it before, it was 100% perfect before I went to do the factory reset.

Can anyone please help?

Agh!! Talk about timing! :(

Edit - Panic has been averted, phew!!

She's not dead Jim!

Power and middle button and it will restart after 30 seconds.

you may need to leave it plugged into a wall and charging for a couple days to make it come back to life. Don't let the battery drain completely, it really FUBARs the tablet.
    All power cables say connect correct cable. The issue is not the cable but the charger. Leave it overnight charging then respond with issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ok my touchpad is gone dead again....seems to be no life coming from it now...

Tried leaving it plugged into the original charger for 48 hours and on a 1amp charger for 48 hours and no life from it whatsoever...anything else i should try?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Ok my touchpad is gone dead again....seems to be no life coming from it now...

Tried leaving it plugged into the original charger for 48 hours and on a 1amp charger for 48 hours and no life from it whatsoever...anything else i should try?

Hold the power button, and tap the home key, like 20 times or more. Then plug it in again and see if it comes to life with charging.

Hold the power button, and tap the home key, like 20 times or more. Then plug it in again and see if it comes to life with charging.

I'll try that...Cheers

Cheers Squee...That worked. Back online now! I'll have to try to stop it getting dead again...

Cheers Squee...That worked. Back online now! I'll have to try to stop it getting dead again...

Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&hl=en and set it to shut down the TP when the battery gets to 7%.

Works for me.

• Advertisement

Done - Thanks BenEadir

BTW I am selling my Touchpad now in case anyone is interested......

Sweet! Very glad it worked for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Hi
    My touchpad is running android 4.4.4 Pacman ROM.

It won't connect as a media device.
    (I have done the office and changed the USB connection setting to MTP in android)
    Firstly I disabled debugging as I thought this was issue.
    Then I went into device manager and followed this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/195607/how-to-get-your-android-device-to-show-up-in-file-explorer-if-it-isnt/

To update the driver, however the driver won't update to MTP Media Device.
    I get a code 10 error. Has this happened anybody?

I'm pretty sure it never worked as I'd always gone to Web OS to transfer files, however i've no longer got that installed...

It connects fine as a camera so i can copy files on there and move them after but it's awkward!

Running windows 7

Thanks,
    CHris

Try installing http://adbdriver.com

Try installing http://adbdriver.com

Thanks I'll try this tonight!

Hi
    My touchpad is running android 4.4.4 Pacman ROM.

It won't connect as a media device.
    (I have done the office and changed the USB connection setting to MTP in android)
    Firstly I disabled debugging as I thought this was issue.
    Then I went into device manager and followed this:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/195607/how-to-get-your-android-device-to-show-up-in-file-explorer-if-it-isnt/

To update the driver, however the driver won't update to MTP Media Device.
    I get a code 10 error. Has this happened anybody?

I'm pretty sure it never worked as I'd always gone to Web OS to transfer files, however i've no longer got that installed...

It connects fine as a camera so i can copy files on there and move them after but it's awkward!

Running windows 7

Thanks,
    CHris

Used to have the same problem.

Dont have my tablet at work to test, but it's not MTP driver you want to select in device manager. Instead, look for something like "generic mass storage" or maybe something with "Composite Device". That was an option for me and works perfectly (ish, the TP is very slow to transfer)

If all else fails try airdroid....its slow but it worked for me in the past

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

If all else fails try airdroid....its slow but it worked for me in the past

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en

How slow was it? i'm currently using my wifi with es file explorer and getting 150-300 kbps depending on the traffic :-(
    EDIT: yeah it is a lot faster! 1.3-1.5 Mbps..still slow, but manageable to put a few movies on!

Yeah neither of the above options worked, I didn't have the option in my driver settings and abd driver installer didn't recognize any android device when it was attached.....

Is there any app that you can use which once mounted turns the touchpad into a usb mass storage devicle? Not finding one myself.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

How slow was it? i'm currently using my wifi with es file explorer and getting 150-300 kbps depending on the traffic :-(
    EDIT: yeah it is a lot faster! 1.3-1.5 Mbps..still slow, but manageable to put a few movies on!

Yeah neither of the above options worked, I didn't have the option in my driver settings and abd driver installer didn't recognize any android device when it was attached.....

Is there any app that you can use which once mounted turns the touchpad into a usb mass storage devicle? Not finding one myself.....

Do you still have WebOS on it,
    I kept mine and boot into that for transferring movies over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

so im running cm12 lollipop now. this machine is the gift that keeps on giving. and it was a breeze to install with tptoolkit.

Advertisement