Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Fiskar wrote: »
    Contacted by EP today so a dead Touchpad will not be returning to me. Pity, it was a nice device, lasted but 2 years and 3 months. Still got it at the knockdown price so cannot complain. Anyone in Dublin City want a Touchstone charger? PM me if you are near Hardcourt Street and can meet to collect it.

Touchstone gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

BenThere wrote: »
    Hey Murph,

So you need a project to keep you busy until LFC start their Premier League winning 2014/15 campaign?? :D

This is the most comprehensive guide I could find for installing Android onto the TP - http://rootzwiki.com/topic/40107-rom-guide-how-to-updateinstall-android-42-43-and-442-builds-on-the-hp-touchpad/ It looks daunting but if you take your time, read the instructions a few times before doing anything and follow the steps outlined in the various videos EXACTLY you'll be fine.

The version I have on my TP after trying a few of them is [ROM]Jcsullins CM10.1-SNAPSHOT-VPN-tenderloin-20131210 which you can download from http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins/cmtouchpad/testing/cm-10.1-20131210-SNAPSHOT-VPN-tenderloin.zip

Have fun and don't worry too much about bricking your TP, it's a lot harder than you think. Most situations can be recovered and help is at hand here and over on XDA etc.

Ben
    THIS IS OUR YEAR!! YNWA

Well on my Touchpad, now running Android. Very simple..... Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Well on my Touchpad, now running Android. Very simple..... Thanks for your help

Tip top, well done. Enjoy it.

Tip top, well done. Enjoy it.

Have to say it seems better than my Asus transformer tf101

Thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

is there any method of getting skygo running on touchpad android platform as it says its rooted

• Advertisement

ouncer wrote: »
    is there any method of getting skygo running on touchpad android platform as it says its rooted

I don't get the rooted message, just that there is an issue with streaming??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I get the rooted message with skygo, it has never worked for me on the TP :(

Can I just ask a quick question? To the people with Android on their Touchpad does it boot up first time? I have the last official CM version (9 or something) and it starts up, freezes, returns to moboot and then usually starts up the next go fine.

I'm curious as to whether anybody else has encountered this problem? I didn't have the smoothest of times installing Android and I know I could re do the process again but I have 25gb of mame roms on it. It took me the best part of a day to transfer them over and I don't fancy doing that again!

:edit: Well I got impatient and uninstalled Android. Happily the 25gb of roms are still there. Installed a fresh copy of CM9 and it seems to be booting fine. But it's always like that initially. It's when I leave it for a few days and come back that the boot problems reappear....bonkers I know! Hopefully this will do the trick.

have never seen that on any cm build

Sadly it's still happening....taking a few goes until it boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Can I just ask a quick question? To the people with Android on their Touchpad does it boot up first time? I have the last official CM version (9 or something) and it starts up, freezes, returns to moboot and then usually starts up the next go fine.

I'm curious as to whether anybody else has encountered this problem? I didn't have the smoothest of times installing Android and I know I could re do the process again but I have 25gb of mame roms on it. It took me the best part of a day to transfer them over and I don't fancy doing that again!

:edit: Well I got impatient and uninstalled Android. Happily the 25gb of roms are still there. Installed a fresh copy of CM9 and it seems to be booting fine. But it's always like that initially. It's when I leave it for a few days and come back that the boot problems reappear....bonkers I know! Hopefully this will do the trick.

I would abandon CM9. I'm pretty sure it's no longer being developed and there are stableish versions of CM11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Im selling my touchpad if anyone is interested , its dual boot but never use it since I got S4. PM if interested

I would abandon CM9. I'm pretty sure it's no longer being developed and there are stableish versions of CM11.

Using tp toolbox it is now really simple to update to cm11 android kitkat. Very nice system. Just transfer cm11 ROM, gapps and clockwork mod to the touchpad and use the tp toolbox to flash the new system

dario28 wrote: »
    Im selling my touchpad if anyone is interested , its dual boot but never use it since I got S4. PM if interested

Hi Dario, did you sell your TP yet?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

ouncer wrote: »

Have you tried this? It's the official advice from Sky themselves.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go/Sky-Go-Advice-for-Rooted-Devices/td-p/1505409

yep, tried that. No luck sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hey guys, good to see the thread is still going!

I've stuck 4.4.4. on the TP last weekend, new lease of life as I can now install apps without issue. Just wondering if any of you have found a replacement wall charger?

Reason being, I took mine with me and forgot the charger. It completely switched off. No problem I thought as all of my devices are Android and micro usb. But the TP simply wouldn't charge from dead from a Samsung charger.

Any ideas on where to pick up a second compatible wall charger for handy money? In the interim, I have Llama running so that the TP switches off at 20%.

Any ideas on where to pick up a second compatible wall charger for handy money? In the interim, I have Llama running so that the TP switches off at 20%.

I'd say this little bargain would do the job for you. It outputs 2A which is twice most micro USB's and was designed for Blacberry devices. I'm not certain it will power the TP but I'd say it will. I just ordered 3 of them as they are a silly price and have international adaptors so great for travel and holidays etc.

If you want to wait a few days I'll test my TP with it and let you know.

BTW, I have Llana set to 7% and it seems to shut down and prevent battery death no problem.

Can't believe it's over 3 years since this thread started. What excellent value the TP has been for €100. Mine is still going strong and gets used by the family almost every day. It even travels to France with us on holiday etc. The Touchstone charger is still an amazing feature you just don't get with other devices costing 5 times as much.

I'd say this little bargain would do the job for you. It outputs 2A which is twice most micro USB's and was designed for Blacberry devices. I'm not certain it will power the TP but I'd say it will. I just ordered 3 of them as they are a silly price and have international adaptors so great for travel and holidays etc.

If you want to wait a few days I'll test my TP with it and let you know.

BTW, I have Llana set to 7% and it seems to shut down and prevent battery death no problem.

Hey Ben,

Looks like a link is missing from the above! Would appreciate the test you mentioned!

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Can't believe it's over 3 years since this thread started. What excellent value the TP has been for €100. Mine is still going strong and gets used by the family almost every day. It even travels to France with us on holiday etc. The Touchstone charger is still an amazing feature you just don't get with other devices costing 5 times as much.

Same here, I use it sparingly when I'm at home but any time I'm travelling it gets loaded up with movies and tv shows and is a great piece of kit.

With 4.4.4. on it I'm planning to use it more as my S5 is now plugged into far too many work applications. Great piece of kit.

Hey Ben,

Looks like a link is missing from the above! Would appreciate the test you mentioned!

Thanks.

Sorry about that, here it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004XKG7NM

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder will there be a surge of new apps for the WebOS, now that it's on the LG Smart+ TV. Seems LG has totally opened it for all, but I'll probably install CM onto my own TouchPad, as there's very little apps available now, even if I go the preware route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I've stuck 4.4.4. on the TP last weekend, new lease of life as I can now install apps without issue. Just wondering if any of you have found a replacement wall charger?

Do you have a link for that 4.4.4?

Do you have a link for that 4.4.4?

Honestly the easiest install I've ever done.

http://liliputing.com/2014/06/use-touchpad-toolbox-install-android-erase-webos-hp-touchpad.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Perfect. Will try it now this morning. On a Macbook but have a Win7 VM if needed.

Hi RB,

What ROM does this process install? I assume it's a CM ROM of some flavour? Can you confirm if the camera and in particular Bluetooth work with the 4.4.4 ROM? Also, does it deal with the battery death issue automatically? Some of the available ROM's do which would be better than having to have Llana running all the time.

Hi RB,

What ROM does this process install? I assume it's a CM ROM of some flavour? Can you confirm if the camera and in particular Bluetooth work with the 4.4.4 ROM? Also, does it deal with the battery death issue automatically? Some of the available ROM's do which would be better than having to have Llana running all the time.

At work at the minute but will reply in full this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've been using that 4.4.4 since the weekend without any issue at all.

• Advertisement

Hi RB,

Camera: It's crap but it works.
    Bluetooth: Was able to connect and play through my Logitech UE Boombox, all works find.
    Battery death issue?

The files I used to update were;

ROM: cm-11-20140625-SNAPSHOT-jcsullins-tenderloin
    Google Apps: gapps-kk-20140105-signed
    Recovery: update-CWM-jcs-dm-tenderloin-20140317

Don't have download links but Google is your friend. All working fine and installation was a breeze. Also, my work email is finally working with the tablet. Whether or not that's a good thing is up for debate!

Advertisement