Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

harney wrote: »
    Does anybody get a clicking sound when listening to movies etc through vlc or any other software? It is fine when listening on YouTube, so it can work without issue. It is not just one format.

This is through headphones, but I believe the speakers are the same. It is not as bad with 10.2.

Once I left a game open and went in standby, when waking up it had the metalic sounds that happen in WebOS also, but no clicking... Restarting the game fixed it though.

Playing Real Racing 3, battery goes down even if it's plugged in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

rocky wrote: »
    Much difference between CM10.1 (4.1.1) and this?

I don't see any big difference between 4.2.2 and 4.3 but there was a performance increase between 4.1 and 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

neacy69 wrote: »
    I was criticized for posting this on the last page but in case you dont get anywhere in getting it back to life this is what i dont when mine stopped responding (i'm not saying this is the same thing that happened yours but these guys were good for me):

looks like mine sorted also...

had to send mine to electronic partners in galway.
    good service so far although a little slow on the updates to the website when you check the job number. It has been away for about 10 days. They reckon it was something wrong with the charging port and they repaired the broken volume and standby keys.

including courier to galway and back it has cost me €55. i'll let you all know tmrw when i get it back if i am happy with the repair but they have said that it is fixed so sounds good so far....

http://electronicpartner.ie/

(not affiliated in anyway - they were the first repair company that popped up on google when i searched for HP touchpad repairs)

Hi Neacy69, My TP has been dead now for over a month. Tried all the usual tricks and tried charging with the touchstone, the official usb charger etc etc without success so I think it's time I shipped it off to www.electronicpartner.ie. Before I do can you confirm that the repair they did for you is holding up well?

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭opus

Still amazes me what a bargain the TP was & that it's still getting such developer support, my one is currently running CM10.2 and also the new Google Experience launcher. As well a new app called Dayframe makes it the perfect digital photo display sitting in the wire charging dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

opus wrote: »
    Still amazes me what a bargain the TP was & that it's still getting such developer support, my one is currently running CM10.2 and also the new Google Experience launcher. As well a new app called Dayframe makes it the perfect digital photo display sitting in the wire charging dock.

Yes, it was a brilliant bargain alright.

I'm still running CM9 from February. Did you have to wipe yours to get to CM10.2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

I haven't touched mine in ages so its on a long charge to see if it comes back to life.

Would love to get Kit-Kat on it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Just how fussy are these things about which cable you use to charge them?

Original cable died when it got reefed out of the wall charger. I found another micro USB cable which worked fine plugged into the charger until it met a similar fate. A few cables I found would not work, then discovered a Blackberry charger cable which did the job until the missus lost it on holidays. I found the last micro USB cable in the house this morning but when I connect it to the TP and the wall charger, I get the message telling me to use the original/proper charger, and it doesn't seem to be charging.

I'm reluctant to buy another charger/cable off Ebay as they mostly seem to be labelled generic tablet/android chargers and some which are named as Touchpad chargers don't even have a micro USB connector on the end.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yes, it was a brilliant bargain alright.

I'm still running CM9 from February. Did you have to wipe yours to get to CM10.2?

Yup a friend brought me back a new Nexus 7 from the US so the TP was then free for a bit of playing around but to be honest it seems impressively stable with the current setup. Bluetooth doesn't work I read but that doesn't matter to me & I've never had problems with charging as I bought the wireless charging dock off ebay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Neacy69, My TP has been dead now for over a month. Tried all the usual tricks and tried charging with the touchstone, the official usb charger etc etc without success so I think it's time I shipped it off to www.electronicpartner.ie. Before I do can you confirm that the repair they did for you is holding up well?

Cheers,

Ben

Sorry mate....didnt see this update.

Yup the touchpad has been 100% since the repair. I use it every other day and it hasn't given my any bother since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

milltown wrote: »
    Just how fussy are these things about which cable you use to charge them?

Original cable died when it got reefed out of the wall charger. I found another micro USB cable which worked fine plugged into the charger until it met a similar fate. A few cables I found would not work, then discovered a Blackberry charger cable which did the job until the missus lost it on holidays. I found the last micro USB cable in the house this morning but when I connect it to the TP and the wall charger, I get the message telling me to use the original/proper charger, and it doesn't seem to be charging.

I'm reluctant to buy another charger/cable off Ebay as they mostly seem to be labelled generic tablet/android chargers and some which are named as Touchpad chargers don't even have a micro USB connector on the end.

Same here. I need a new charger as the cable is a bit sensitive on mine since I stood on it...

• Advertisement

I ordered a couple of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00859R8O4/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1
    Amazon reviews are positive wrt Touchpad charging, so I went for three of them, to have a few spares, delivered to Parcel Motel for around a tenner all in. No doubt soon after they arrive somebody will manage to crush or destroy the wall plug part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00859R8O4/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1
    Amazon reviews are positive wrt Touchpad charging, so I went for three of them, to have a few spares, delivered to Parcel Motel for around a tenner all in. No doubt soon after they arrive somebody will manage to crush or destroy the wall plug part.

I (like others I'm sure) have had problems with most usb cables not charging the TP, no matter the source of power.

If these work, I'll be ordering a dozen myself, so please keep us informed :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

I bought two of these & they're brilliant!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ES5ZSW/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great length & charge the TP no probs.

Excellent quality too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

No charging issues with the Touch Stone! Always knew those mini usb would be dodgey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

keredern wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ES5ZSW/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do seem to be perfect for touchpad drip feeding charge. As many of the comments on amazon say there is a high impedance on this cable which sees a drop in current being provided to the charged device. As such this will fit into the HP wall socket provided by the touchpad and feed a lower amount of current to the touchpad which seems to be what the touchpad requires. On the negative side if you were buying this cable to charge anything other than a hp touchpad you might be a bit fed up that it will take twice as long as your previous cable to charge your mobile device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

keredern wrote: »

So these work for charging the Touchpad but they need to be used with the original plug?

ouncer wrote: »
    They do seem to be perfect for touchpad drip feeding charge. As many of the comments on amazon say there is a high impedance on this cable which sees a drop in current being provided to the charged device. As such this will fit into the HP wall socket provided by the touchpad and feed a lower amount of current to the touchpad which seems to be what the touchpad requires. On the negative side if you were buying this cable to charge anything other than a hp touchpad you might be a bit fed up that it will take twice as long as your previous cable to charge your mobile device

I find that these cables charge my SGS3 in super fast time!!;)

I use them with the original plug.

The TP charges quickly too, although I couldn't say how fast!:)

nc6000 wrote: »
    So these work for charging the Touchpad but they need to be used with the original plug?

I don't know it they work with another plug, but I'm sure they would if the plug used had the same output.:)

My cables arrived today. TP had been stone dead for a week or more. When plugged into the wall charger with the new cable, the battery charging symbol showed up after a couple of seconds and no messages about using proper chargers or cables. That was about midday and I had to go to work but Mrs.Milltown reports that when she got home at 6pm it was fully charged.

Downsides are that it's a bit on the short side, at ~3 foot long. Not an issue for us as it's not generally used within a few metres of a socket anyway. Also, the plastic moulding on the micro USB end is on the large side, so we'll have to pop it out of the case to charge it until I get around to trimming the opening at the bottom of the case.

At £2 each though, absolutely no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Selling my TP 32gb with webos and CM9 installed. does anyone know how to set it so it hasn't any of my details or mail accounts on it without removing android?

http://www.adverts.ie/4270849

• Advertisement

Settings, backup and reset, factory reset

Settings, backup and reset, factory reset

See that CM11 (Kitkat) is now available for the Touchpad, will wait a few weeks for it to settle down before I'll try it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

I've decided long at last to say goodbye to webos and switch to android on my touchpad. using Rev kyles idiots guide to installing CM10 i thought i was doing ok however when booting up cm10 im getting the following on my screen

can anyone please help? ive no idea where i went wrong as everything else went grand

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

BogManInc wrote: »
    I've decided long at last to say goodbye to webos and switch to android on my touchpad. using Rev kyles idiots guide to installing CM10 i thought i was doing ok however when booting up cm10 im getting the following on my screen

can anyone please help? ive no idea where i went wrong as everything else went grand

thanks

Never seen that before but I'd try and start all over again. It's supposed quite hard to brink the touchpad.

Check the Touchpad forum on xda developers, no doubt they have seen something like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Anyone get Sky Go working on theirs. I've tried using "hide my root"app, but still comes up as a rooted device. I'm on CM9.
    Is there a work around?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Daughter dropped the TP yesterday and the screen is proper cracked :(

Any suggestions where is best to get a replacement fitted and how much it will cost? If it's going to cost over €50 I might be better off putting that towards a new tablet such as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-7-inch-Golden/dp/B00EVTGOMO/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1388333065&sr=1-6&keywords=android+tablet or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-8-inch-Black-Wi-Fi/dp/B00FEEIWEI/ref=sr_1_563?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1388334542&sr=1-563&keywords=tablet or even this http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/KOBO-Arc-7-Tablet-64-GB/316744/2.9#details?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

BenThere wrote: »
    Daughter dropped the TP yesterday and the screen is proper cracked :(

Any suggestions where is best to get a replacement fitted and how much it will cost? If it's going to cost over €50 I might be better off putting that towards a new tablet such as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-7-inch-Golden/dp/B00EVTGOMO/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1388333065&sr=1-6&keywords=android+tablet or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-8-inch-Black-Wi-Fi/dp/B00FEEIWEI/ref=sr_1_563?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1388334542&sr=1-563&keywords=tablet?

Ben
    My son dropped mine not cracked but touch screen dont work, heartbroken TBA, same as in regards to buy new one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-8-inch-White/dp/B00EC9C2E2/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I'd go with the Nook HD+ as an excellent cheap replacement for the TP.

http://www.nook.com/gb/tablets/nook-hd-plus

It's a brilliant piece of kit for £129 & runs android albeit a slightly restricted version.

But it's easily rooted or you can download android to an SD card for dual boot capabilities!

http://www.androidfornook.com/

I have the 7" version & it's super! :)

Still love my TP but it got water damaged in the summer & the 'SD card' is unmounted so only minimal usage. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Trying to resurrect my Sisters TP at the moment.

Battery was allowed drain completely, but that's happened before & it's come back to life after a long charge & holding Power / Home buttons simultaneously.
    I'm using the original wall charger & cable & have tested them (both together & separately).

When I plugged it in first, I got the 'please use correct charger' message, followed by the indicator light on the home button flashing left to right for quite a while. Attempted a reset after some time & nada - now there's not a sign of life outta it.

Also tried different cable & plug combo / charging it via laptop USB etc.

Running WebOs only btw.

Anything I've missed or other suggestions appreciated guys.

Edit: Just tried it with original HP charger & a USB from a Motorola Moto G - getting the left to right Home button flash again, so just gonna let it work away at that for the time being.

Advertisement