Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

ouncer wrote: »
    it has been explained to death on the charging issue. use a micro-usb charger such as a phone charger to charge your devices. leave them overnight. hp touchpad once discharged will not take charge from original charger but instead requires charger of less amperage

Jaysus!!! Heading on holiday tomorrow and my TP crashed and won't re-charge. I plugged in the original USB charger overnight assuming I'd have a nice charged TP in the morning but no joy. I tried using all the usual combinations of power+vol up+home button etc etc but can't get it to fire up. In the beginning I was able to press the power button (with the charger connected) and the battery warning icon would flash for a second and a couple of times the flashing LED on the home button flashed (which I recall was a sign that it was taking a charge and would usually fire up once the minimum charge level had been reached) but that only lasted a couple of seconds.

I tried charging using the official USB cable with the official socket charger and via my laptop USB port with no joy. When I connect to my laptop it isn't recognised as a drive or anything.

I also tried charging with a regular USB cable for a few minutes but no sign of life.

I've all my kids movies and games loaded ready for a ferry to France and a long journey the next day but instead of a deadly entertainment system I now have a brick.

Help anyone?????

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Ben,

Where are you located? I have the touchstone which never fails to revive my TP. I'm in Northwood in Dublin all day and its on my desk if you want to try it?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Ben,

Where are you located? I have the touchstone which never fails to revive my TP. I'm in Northwood in Dublin all day and its on my desk if you want to try it?

Thnaks Buzz but I have also have a touchstone and it's not having any effect. In fact the TP was on the touchstone when it crashed!!

I have Llama installed (I'm on CM9) and set to shut down the TP if the battery drops below 3% specifically to avoid this situation but I guess something went wrong :(

Ben

Looks like it might be a temperamental charging port :mad:

Just fiddled around with the micro usb and when I apply some vertical pressure (screen facing up, charging port to the right side of the TP) it "connects" and the flashing LED on the home button comes on.

I've now set the TP against the wall in such a way that the upward pressure remains applied and it appears to be charging as the home button LED is flashing away constantly. I guess I'll know for sure in a couple of hours.

Fingers crossed!!

BTW, how easy is it to flash CM10 over CM9? Is it just a matter of putting the ROM onto the TP, booting to recovery and flashing it? I'm only thinking about doing this because a) something is currently causing my TP to crash/battery drain and b) there is a built in power off when the battery gets low in CM10 which might work better than relying on Llama all the time.

Ben

Sorted :-)

Silly charging port was the problem. Hopefully someone who's unable to charge a 'dead' TP with the original USB charger will read my little drama and possibly find a solution to their problem!!!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

looks like mine sorted also...

had to send mine to electronic partners in galway.
    good service so far although a little slow on the updates to the website when you check the job number. It has been away for about 10 days. They reckon it was something wrong with the charging port and they repaired the broken volume and standby keys.

including courier to gal way and back it has cost me €55. i'll let you all know tmrw when i get it back if i am happy with the repair but they have said that it is fixed so sounds good so far....

http://electronicpartner.ie/

(not affiliated in anyway - they were the first repair company that popped up on google when i searched for HP touchpad repairs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

so after many posts most folks know how to charge a touchpad. there are so many videos as to how to open touchpad and repair button issues that it is senseless saying well done when it would have taken less than 30 mins to fix by yourself

ouncer wrote: »
    so after many posts most folks know how to charge a touchpad. there are so many videos as to how to open touchpad and repair button issues that it is senseless saying well done when it would have taken less than 30 mins to fix by yourself

Not sure what the point of this post was or if it was directed at me....but the issue with my touchpad was not one of the common charging issues. The issue was that the charging port had become disconnected after I had let it fall. Given my lack of experience in soldering or ready availablilty of spare USB ports I reckon it was €55 well spent to get the work completed properly and to have someome who will stand over the repair if it happens again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

it seems a common problem with the touchpad. my point was too strong. what i meant to say that its really not a big deal to open touchpad (youtube videos available) and identify the cause. no more than yourself i have no ability in soldering but i do know folks who can solder. do hate giving item away to folks who have you under their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Just checking Neacy69 did you get your laptop back and were you happy?

• Advertisement

skippy2 wrote: »
    Just checking Neacy69 did you get your laptop back and were you happy?

It was a HP Tablet not a laptop...
    Yeah I did....Very happy with the work and it has worked no problems at all since it was delivered back to me. total of €55 including courier to and from galway.

I think it was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

Have any of you gone to CM10 yet? I'm on CM9 and find it's very good. Is there much to be gained by going to CM10?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

nc6000 wrote: »
    Have any of you gone to CM10 yet? I'm on CM9 and find it's very good. Is there much to be gained by going to CM10?

Think I'm on CM10, probably worth updating, find it very stable, no issues other than bit if battery drain i think due to the bluetooth version I went with

I read there a recently somebody has put together a bluetooth updated firmware
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/hp-touchpad-bluetooth-support/

haven't updated to this but sounded like the direction to go

nc6000 wrote: »

I'm curious about this also. Is upgrading from CM9 to CM10 a straighforward, download and flash on top of CM9 process or is it more complicated than that?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭coffee to go

BenThere wrote: »
    I'm curious about this also. Is upgrading from CM9 to CM10 a straighforward, download and flash on top of CM9 process or is it more complicated than that?

Ben

When I went from CM9 to CM10, I did a factory reset to completely remove Android and go back to WebOS (after copying off any videos etc I had lying around on it).

I then put CM10 on from scratch. I did this just to avoid any flashing compatibility issues between CM9 and CM10. I think the bootloader had changed since I originally put CM9 on, which could have also been an issue.

CM10 really smooth, and drops wifi far less than CM9 did.

Hi all,

Is there an App which will stream video from a NAS over WiFi to the TP? I generally use VLC Beta for watching videos on the TP but that can only handle files on the internal memory, it doesn't have (or at least I can't find) an option to see network attached devices and stream from them.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi all,

Is there an App which will stream video from a NAS over WiFi to the TP? I generally use VLC Beta for watching videos on the TP but that can only handle files on the internal memory, it doesn't have (or at least I can't find) an option to see network attached devices and stream from them.

Cheers,

Ben

Are you using android - Have you considered XBMC?
    Astro file manager can be used to open the file on your network and it will then open using whatever video player you have on the touchpad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Hi all,

Cheers,

Ben

I use MX Player Pro for this.

neacy69 wrote: »
    Are you using android - Have you considered XBMC?

Forgot all about good old XMBC!! Just downloaded and installed it, added the NAS and was watching an episode of Underbelly all within 2 minutes.

Cheers Neacy ;)

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone know what these are making second hand? I never really use mine now, so considering getting rid of it.

• Advertisement

I think my TP has finally gone to TP heaven :p

Despite having Llama set to shut it down at 5% to prevent it going into TP coma the TP still managed to get into a state I can't recover it from. I tried using the official TP charger and TP USB cable and nothing. No red battery icon and not even a flicking white light in the home button. It's dead dead dead.

I'm going to leave it unplugged for a few days as I recall it can take some time for it to discharge fully and until it is fully drained it can remain stubbornly stuck in TP coma.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than waiting for it to discharge fully and trying to charge it then?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think my TP has finally gone to TP heaven :p

Despite having Llama set to shut it down at 5% to prevent it going into TP coma the TP still managed to get into a state I can't recover it from. I tried using the official TP charger and TP USB cable and nothing. No red battery icon and not even a flicking white light in the home button. It's dead dead dead.

I'm going to leave it unplugged for a few days as I recall it can take some time for it to discharge fully and until it is fully drained it can remain stubbornly stuck in TP coma.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than waiting for it to discharge fully and trying to charge it then?

Ben

Mine used to do this regularly, then I bought a touchstone and never had a problem with it getting completely discharged since. If you are anywhere near Swords, you are welcome to pop round and see if it sparks your TP into life.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Mine used to do this regularly, then I bought a touchstone and never had a problem with it getting completely discharged since. If you are anywhere near Swords, you are welcome to pop round and see if it sparks your TP into life.

Thanks Inquitus but it was on a touchstone when it shut down!!! I think it wasn't sitting correctly on it or something like that hence it wasn't charging.

When I put it on the touchstone now there is no sign of life/charging whatsoever. :(

Ben

Thanks Inquitus but it was on a touchstone when it shut down!!! I think it wasn't sitting correctly on it or something like that hence it wasn't charging.

When I put it on the touchstone now there is no sign of life/charging whatsoever. :(

Ben

I was criticized for posting this on the last page but in case you dont get anywhere in getting it back to life this is what i dont when mine stopped responding (i'm not saying this is the same thing that happened yours but these guys were good for me):

looks like mine sorted also...

had to send mine to electronic partners in galway.
    good service so far although a little slow on the updates to the website when you check the job number. It has been away for about 10 days. They reckon it was something wrong with the charging port and they repaired the broken volume and standby keys.

including courier to galway and back it has cost me €55. i'll let you all know tmrw when i get it back if i am happy with the repair but they have said that it is fixed so sounds good so far....

http://electronicpartner.ie/

(not affiliated in anyway - they were the first repair company that popped up on google when i searched for HP touchpad repairs)

neacy69 wrote: »
    I was criticized for posting this on the last page but in case you dont get anywhere in getting it back to life this is what i dont when mine stopped responding

Thanks Neacy69, I really appreciate the info. It's good to know there is a professional alternative to "the phone shop" where God knows who is doing God knows what to your device? A pal of mine recently went into one to get data retrieved off his phone and the first thing they did was a factory reset and flashed a new ROM. WTF??????

Ben

anyone using XBMC on the touchpad?

Works great for local and network content but the none of the add-ons seem to be working for me...(1channel,l mash-up etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

I installed Android on my TP over the weekend - it's like a new tablet! Much faster than WebOS, no hiccups. Web browsing boards is not painful anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Updated to CM10.2 (4.3) couple days ago. Little shakier than 10.1 (4.2.2) but overall positive.

Looking forward to getting Kitkat on my devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Does anybody get a clicking sound when listening to movies etc through vlc or any other software? It is fine when listening on YouTube, so it can work without issue. It is not just one format.

This is through headphones, but I believe the speakers are the same. It is not as bad with 10.2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

Updated to CM10.2 (4.3) couple days ago. Little shakier than 10.1 (4.2.2) but overall positive.

Looking forward to getting Kitkat on my devices.

Much difference between CM10.1 (4.1.1) and this?

Advertisement