Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

had similar issue with touchpad. totally dead and the touchpad would not respond to the charge from plugged in charger. so after a lot of browsing and reading some extremely weird ideas I finally came across the solution. Now the outlet power from the standard charger is 2A at 5V and the touchpad does not seem to respond to this 'fast' charge. So instead I used my blackberry microusb charger which is rated at 5V at 750mA. So I left this in overnight and the touchpad was alive and happy the following morning. I then plugged out the blackberry charger and put back in the normal charger and the touchpad is charging normally. So it seems when the touchpad battery gets depleted there are two methods of resurrecting it
    1/ make sure the touchpad is totally depleted by leaving it aside for an extended period and then pluge in normal charger and let it charge away
    2/ plug it into a lower amperage outlet and let it trickle charge he touchpad
    Note that connecting the touchpad to the USB port of the computer will also likely work as a trickle charge solution but it will likely take days to charge the battery from the USB port as the amperage supplied by the computers USB is extremely low. Anyway you live and learn and good to have the touchpad back in business. Now to load the llama app :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

any news on CM10 ?

other than the fact that it is released with camera fix though camera seems to be inverted. a quick google on hp touchpad cm10 will tell you all this

For the fun I loaded cm10 and and am using the touchpad to let you know the outcome. Where most everything on cm9 was pretty damm good cm10 is first really hard to install. The guides are rubbish and you end up searching for why this error happens or that error happens. Bright side is camera works. Negative is that many other things that used to work in cm have difficulties. Example I watch a YouTube music thing and then click on the bottom right of the screen to check battery and the screen goes fuzzy. Having said that major functions work, but having said that they already worked on cm. Your choice. Final word is I kinda like cm10 in many ways but if you want something vastly improved then no this is not the release for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ouncer wrote: »
    For the fun I loaded cm10 and and am using the touchpad to let you know the outcome. Where most everything on cm9 was pretty damm good cm10 is first really hard to install. The guides are rubbish and you end up searching for why this error happens or that error happens. Bright side is camera works. Negative is that many other things that used to work in cm have difficulties. Example I watch a YouTube music thing and then click on the bottom right of the screen to check battery and the screen goes fuzzy. Having said that major functions work, but having said that they already worked on cm. Your choice. Final word is I kinda like cm10 in many ways but if you want something vastly improved then no this is not the release for you.

I've installed the rom from this post in the Android forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82593485&postcount=104

Touchpad is a dream now.

• Advertisement

downloading at the moment. no idea how to load these files using cynmanager. not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I've installed the rom from this post in the Android forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82593485&postcount=104

Touchpad is a dream now.

Is it better than the CM9 nightlies? I dont care about the camera myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Is the wi-fi usable now?
    Gave up on TP Android months ago 'cos the wi-fi only worked for a short time after a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

milltown wrote: »
    Is the wi-fi usable now?
    Gave up on TP Android months ago 'cos the wi-fi only worked for a short time after a reboot.

I find WiFi great

cm10 is really really good. after a couple of issues with the install the touchpad works a dream and is just a great toy. there were issues on cm7 with wireless dying but this was corrected in one of the later releases of cm7 and both cm9 and cm10 have no issues whatsoever with wireless

• Advertisement

and i just love being able to stream from my vu duo to the touchpad. so i can watch the golf and the kids can watch their choice of program

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

Have many of you upgraded to CM10?

I'm still on CM9 and am very happy with it, thinking of updating to CM10 but won't bother if it is still unstable and full of bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I'm on the JCsullins 1216 version - it's fine.

It's the first ROM I've loaded on the TP so don't know what CM9 is.

I use it daily, out and about, for a bout 3 weeks now and it's self rebooted once.

One thing I've noticed is that if you have any apps on the homescreen on the right hand side then when you switch from Portrait to Landscape then they can disappear altogether.

Also I've not got the Flash player to work, I know it's an android thing, so not worried about that.

Compared to Webos, though, android needs a little bit of polishing, the apps can be inconsistent and hard to find the menu options you want.

On the other-hand apps are better featured and being supported, which is important, also the Opera browser is available, so all my bookmarks are synced with the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Sounds like it might be worth the update so.
    Does anybody have a link handy for the necessary files? Save me going back through pages and pages to find them. Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    Got the dreaded question mark of death today. Warranty is out by one month.
    Have tried all the usual but no good.
    Just read the post about holding power and home buttons for two minutes but all i got was black screen and then battery question mark flashing up every ten seconds.
    Any more ideas. Very suspicious that this problem is becoming more frequent .
    surely HP would do something to help!
    Thanks
    pAJOE

Hi, After 5 months of the touchpad sitting in the drawer after battery not charging issue I am finally sitting here typing on TP again. As stated in my post I had tried all button combinations and nothing. I was going to open up the TP and try and charge battery but this looked difficult. Yesterday I found JCsullins tpdebrick v004 on rootzwiki and decided to give it a go. JC stands for Jesus Christ as he has raised Lazarus from the dead. All hale JCsullins.
    If you have HP TP that is dead then try it. Worked for me and many more. Yipee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

great pajoe

Do you have a link? One of my babies is dead as a dodo

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

loopymum wrote: »
    great pajoe

Do you have a link? One of my babies is dead as a dodo

here you go
    http://rootzwiki.com/topic/38786-tpdebrick-v004/

i posted this some time back

had similar issue with touchpad. totally dead and the touchpad would not respond to the charge from plugged in charger. so after a lot of browsing and reading some extremely weird ideas I finally came across the solution. Now the outlet power from the standard charger is 2A at 5V and the touchpad does not seem to respond to this 'fast' charge. So instead I used my blackberry microusb charger which is rated at 5V at 750mA. So I left this in overnight and the touchpad was alive and happy the following morning. I then plugged out the blackberry charger and put back in the normal charger and the touchpad is charging normally. So it seems when the touchpad battery gets depleted there are two methods of resurrecting it
    1/ make sure the touchpad is totally depleted by leaving it aside for an extended period and then pluge in normal charger and let it charge away
    2/ plug it into a lower amperage outlet and let it trickle charge he touchpad
    Note that connecting the touchpad to the USB port of the computer will also likely work as a trickle charge solution but it will likely take days to charge the battery from the USB port as the amperage supplied by the computers USB is extremely low. Anyway you live and learn and good to have the touchpad back in business. Now to load the llama app :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep like the last poster, I also got mine back from the dead by using a lower amperage phone charger for a few days.

I had loads of trouble with mine til I bought a touchstone, never had an issue since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reverend Kyle has uploaded his Idiots Guide to Installing CM10 on the HP Touchpad. Will be trying this the weekend hopefully.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2176848

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Just used the Touchpad Toolkit - Android automated installer. by XCD on rootzwiki, simple and took about 10 mins to install CM9 on my TP.

I've never attempted it before and worked like a charm, I had no version of android on it before. It installs all the drivers you need to your PC and has simple step by step instructions.

However, I really like using the WebOS kindle app- pages are full screen and it has a nice page turning effect.

Since upgrading to CM9 and installing the android kindle app I am fairly disappointed with it, the pages don't take up the whole screen, (you still see the task bar at the bottom) and the page turning effect is gone.

I've checked settings and can't find a way alter the page changing or disable the tool bar,

I know this is a small gripe but any advice is welcome or is there a better e-reader app out that will accept my saved e-books.

Use calibre to convert your books to .mobi, add them to the kindle app or use aldiko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Inquitus wrote: »
    Use calibre to convert your books to .mobi, add them to the kindle app or use aldiko

Inquitus, can you tell me how to get Aldiko to see .mobi files? I have a ton of them on Calibre and managed to copy and paste some into the kindle folder on my phone app which works perfectly. I'd prefer to use Aldiko but can't figure out how to get Aldiko to see them. do I drag and drop the .mobi files into a special folder within the Aldiko file structure or something??

Cheers,

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Inquitus, can you tell me how to get Aldiko to see .mobi files? I have a ton of them on Calibre and managed to copy and paste some into the kindle folder on my phone app which works perfectly. I'd prefer to use Aldiko but can't figure out how to get Aldiko to see them. do I drag and drop the .mobi files into a special folder within the Aldiko file structure or something??

Cheers,

Ben

For Aldiko you need to convert your .mobi (drm free only) to .epub using Calibre

Inquitus wrote: »

Thanks, I'm using Calibre and I'm able to add the books to Kindle no problem, but what I'm asking is if there is an app identical to the WebOS Kindle app.

The android app is poor on the Touchpad, (or else I haven't got the settings right).
    You can't set page turning animations, like you can in WebOS. If there's not no problem, I'm just used to Kindle in WebOS.
    I don't want to have to keep re-booting just to read a book, so I was hoping there was an app with sepia tone and page turning options.

Thanks,

The Android Kindle app has the sepia tone, no page turning animations though!

Screenshot_2013-03-07-09-11-56.png

Cheers Inquitus, I'm missing the page turning animation from WebOS, next time your in WebOS have a look, it really is a nice effect.

I'll try a few more e-reader apps tonight see if I can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

But the android kindle app allows you to side load unlimited books - the webos sideload topped out at about 1000 books.

DO miss the animations, though.

• Advertisement

But the android kindle app allows you to side load unlimited books - the webos sideload topped out at about 1000 books.

DO miss the animations, though.

Swings and roundabouts alright;)

Most I has was about 100 on it, didn't know about the 1000 limit

Advertisement