Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Hey guys long time no post :(
    Been bogged down with work :o
    Manic2 wrote: »
    And what's everyone aiming to get in the LC? Just wondering?
    haha 580 hopefully :) but sure i'd be happy with anything at all at this stage :P
    btw loving the tags for this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

POST 2,000! :D Sorry, had to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Just did our biology practicals in Dublin Zoo. The one with the ecosystem and stuff like that. Mad craic..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Cian A wrote: »
    I can make an exception for you but academically competitive people generally annoy the **** out of me. I can be absolutely delighted with 90% without studying or working when these guys who work their ass of try boasting to me that they did better by a few %, seriously I'm happy with my result so fúck off, you probably don't even realise you try 10x harder than me.

I'm kind of the same for sport, loads of potential but never practiced enough to fulfil it, I've won medals in football, long distance, high jump, while seldom finishing 1st I'm content with what I have achieved.

Ahh I'm not like that I'm far more subtle :)
    I don't consciously do it, but I'll identify my main competition in the class, be it 1 or like, 5 people and if I do better than them I think to myself yesssssss! :D
    I feel it's personal achievement to do better than the best.
    But I never boast to people that's just disrespectful, although I will ask people how they did and congratulate them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Just did our biology practicals in Dublin Zoo. The one with the ecosystem and stuff like that. Mad craic..... :pac:

Biology practicals? :eek:

• Advertisement

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Biology practicals? :eek:

Yeah like using quadrants, line transects, pooters, all that craic in a random patch of grass in Dublin Zoo. With some random education guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Chuchoter wrote: »
    The only thing I can vaguely see myself liking is Law and French in TCD which is currently 550, so I'm aiming for 560 to be safe. HL maths points are lovely though! I really like UCD and tbh I'd prefer to go there (and the points are lower) but its just too far away from where I live.

The grades I'm hoping for are
    Maths: B2 105
    English: B1 85
    French: A2 90
    Biology: A1 100
    Physics: A1 100
    Chemistry/ Irish: B2 80

I think I might be able to maneuver an A in English but I think its a really bad subject to bank on. Physics, French and Maths are the ones I'd like to improve on at the moment, but I'm not very far off those grades I think.

Another Dub? Serious lack of my people around here.

Those 25 points will come in handy, but course points will probably rise again so be wary, especially the high point courses like yours. I'd say I could get:

Maths: 115-125
    A. Maths : 80-100
    Physics : 80-100
    Accounting: 70-100
    Business: 70-100
    Irish: 70-100
    English: 70-100
    French: 40-70

Which would be 485-600. It really depends on how I manage myself this year.

Ok, so now I have another french dilemma. :L
    So, in order to do basically anything in the NUI's I need a 3rd language. But as you are all probably well aware I do not do French, although I have basic French skills from JC.
    Does anyone think it would be worth my while just to do the OL French paper just to meet entry requirements? I wouldn't be dedicating too much time to it. Just enough for a pass.

Manic2 wrote: »
    Ok, so now I have another french dilemma. :L
    So, in order to do basically anything in the NUI's I need a 3rd language. But as you are all probably well aware I do not do French, although I have basic French skills from JC.
    Does anyone think it would be worth my while just to do the OL French paper just to meet entry requirements? I wouldn't be dedicating too much time to it. Just enough for a pass.

By the sounds of it you're a fairly intelligent person so I'd say you could pull off a d3 in pass without much bother. In fact I was only talking about that a few months ago and how I regretted taking french as a subject just to pass when I could have taken an 8th subject seriously and gotten the pass in French.

You could probably get them just by making guesses and picking up attempt marks.

By the sounds of it you're a fairly intelligent person so I'd say you could pull off a d3 in pass without much bother. In fact I was only talking about that a few months ago and how I regretted taking french as a subject just to pass when I could have taken an 8th subject seriously and gotten the pass in French.

You could probably get them just by making guesses and picking up attempt marks.

Thanks for the reply. I might talk it over with mother dearest and then make sure that I really want/need it. I'm sorta dead set on Maynooth but I was going for Science Ed in the 1st place but I was rethinking it because I was considering and Arts course.

Thanks for thinking I'm intellegent btw :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Those 25 points will come in handy, but course points will probably rise again so be wary, especially the high point courses like yours. I'd say I could get:

Maths: 115-125
    A. Maths : 80-100
    Physics : 80-100
    Accounting: 70-100
    Business: 70-100
    Irish: 70-100
    English: 70-100
    French: 40-70

Which would be 485-600. It really depends on how I manage myself this year.

Considering only 16% or something near that though do honors maths, my hopes are its too small to make an overall difference :P
    Manic2, go for the ordinary French, you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Wow, people are really aiming high... I feel stupid now :pac:

Got a French test and a Home Ec test tomorrow.

Uh oh >.<

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Considering only 16% or something near that though do honors maths, my hopes are its too small to make an overall difference :P
    Manic2, go for the ordinary French, you'll be grand!
    My reasoning is that it would be the people doing honours maths that would be aiming for top marks to get into these <500 courses. If you're going to be getting such marks, you're most likely doing all honours or 6 honours.
    Leftyflip wrote: »
    Wow, people are really aiming high... I feel stupid now :pac:

Like I said before, I'm not really aiming high, in fact I'm not aiming for anything, it's just what I'd expect to get. 600 with work, about 445 would be bare minimum I think, not doing anything all year, 6 C1's would be fairly elementary.
    I'm not trying to sound pretentious or anything that's just me and school :p

EDIT: Post 2012 zOMG!
    I never actually say that, but 2012 is quite a significant number these days

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

bitc***s I'm aiming for 575 points!! XD g'luck to me! :pac:
    my sister got 565 so I must beat her.. it's just that kind of sisterly love we got going on.. :P
    *must stop procrastinating like this* and I might actually achieve it. :eek:

EDIT: not saying I'm a smartarse.. I'm average smaverage in school. 500 points would be the maximum amount of points I'd get if I continue at the rate I'm going(= only doing my homework and not studying AT ALL).. so i must improve(ACTUALLY STUDY)! (:
    By the way, any tips on how to study? I actually can't study without being distracted. ):

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

My reasoning is that it would be the people doing honours maths that would be aiming for top marks to get into these <500 courses. If you're going to be getting such marks, you're most likely doing all honours or 6 honours.

Like I said before, I'm not really aiming high, in fact I'm not aiming for anything, it's just what I'd expect to get. 600 with work, about 445 would be bare minimum I think, not doing anything all year, 6 C1's would be fairly elementary.
    I'm not trying to sound pretentious or anything that's just me and school :p

EDIT: Post 2012 zOMG!
    I never actually say that, but 2012 is quite a significant number these days

That made me feel stupider :(
    Although, Aviation technology in DIT is 280 points this year, My maximum is 400.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    That made me feel stupider :(
    Although, Aviation technology in DIT is 280 points this year, My maximum is 400.

120 points is a nice cushion, don't stress over it :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm a dub :cool:

I want to get high points but I'm not sure how much. I dont know if I can do French & Spanish in Trinity without ever doing Spanish before (anyone know?), but if nothing else I'll just do it through UCD arts, 355 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm a dub :cool:

I want to get high points but I'm not sure how much. I dont know if I can do French & Spanish in Trinity without ever doing Spanish before (anyone know?), but if nothing else I'll just do it through UCD arts, 355 :pac:

Do you wanna study two languages at uni too? :O That's what I wanna do, but I'm afraid of not getting a job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Do you wanna study two languages at uni too? :O That's what I wanna do, but I'm afraid of not getting a job :(

Our principle was saying to us if were considering becoming teachers French, Irish and English teachers were the most difficult to come by.

I don't know how much truth there is too that and irish and english might be no good to you. BuT we only have French in our school, it might be the same for German and Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Our principle was saying to us if were considering becoming teachers French, Irish and English teachers were the most difficult to come by.

I don't know how much truth there is too that and irish and english might be no good to you. BuT we only have French in our school, it might be the same for German and Spanish.

I don't wanna be a teacher :p Apart from a translator or interpretor, there aren't really any jobs I'd like out of languages. I just wanna speak them fluently! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I don't wanna be a teacher :p Apart from a translator or interpretor, there aren't really any jobs I'd like out of languages. I just wanna speak them fluently! :P

Oops a paragrpah from post is missing :s

I was saying the same thing, I don't know what else there is apart from teaching, I'd imagine translating is tough work, you'd need to really love languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Went to see Hamlet today, made me realise how much I need to go back over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

TGIF.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Yep! I was thinking it might be better to do it in UCD because I could take 3 in my first year then pick my favourite two but I'm not sure what to do :o Blehhhh same but if nothing else, there's always teaching - and I've heard lately theres been a shortage of language skills :cool: It said it in my business book too. Its never any harm like, and you could be a translator on the side :)

oh and a guy in my year said he found me on boards...embarrassing :P HI WILL, I know you'll read this, stalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Siobhnk wrote: »
    TGIF.

Amen to that! Long and ****ty week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Siobhnk wrote: »
    TGIF.

Amen to that! Long and ****ty week :o

My thoughts exactly! :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yep! I was thinking it might be better to do it in UCD because I could take 3 in my first year then pick my favourite two but I'm not sure what to do :o Blehhhh same but if nothing else, there's always teaching - and I've heard lately theres been a shortage of language skills :cool: It said it in my business book too. Its never any harm like, and you could be a translator on the side :)

oh and a guy in my year said he found me on boards...embarrassing :P HI WILL, I know you'll read this, stalker.

*Goes to change username*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

*Goes to change username*

Be graaaaand, if anyone I know has found me on Boards they're just as bad themselves for stalking the place!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Just looked up the points for the course I want to do. 719 is what they're looking for! :O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement