Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I have exams next week too :( and x mas exams in 2 weeks :(

And we've got our Debs at that time. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I have a history test on Wednesday on a whole book, so I'm gonna learn 3 or 4 essays for it, but thats like 20 pages >_>

And on Monday we have a study skills thing. Missing class...to learn how to study. In 6th year. How stupid do they think we are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I have a history test on Wednesday on a whole book, so I'm gonna learn 3 or 4 essays for it, but thats like 20 pages >_>

And on Monday we have a study skills thing. Missing class...to learn how to study. In 6th year. How stupid do they think we are?

We've that as well. Gonna be a complete waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

The person who came in for our study skills said that don't start study untill Mocks and drop down to ordinary level if you can't do well!

what a load of crap! :pac: Argh, these things are so pointless. We had one in third year too, its going to be something like 'Read it. Write it. Learn it. Revise it.' Whoa Sherlock thanks for that earth shattering piece of advice :rolleyes:

They also have no idea what they're talking about because the amount of study they advise is not humanly possible. Then they give you a CD about studying...and ironically, all of this is detracting from my study/schoolwork. :pac:

• Advertisement

Nearly everyone I know is either going to an 18th or into town tonight while I've nothing to do. Since when has 6th year been banter? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I've had an 18th every Saturday for the past six weeks (though I didn't go to one), good times. They're gonna start drying up once the Christmas tests start though...

Namlub wrote: »
    I've had an 18th every Saturday for the past six weeks (though I didn't go to one), good times. They're gonna start drying up once the Christmas tests start though...

Had like 3 since the start of the year and couldn't go to one. **** enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Namlub wrote: »

I think this is might be the first weekend I haven't gone to an 18th. There are two on though. I don't think i'll be going to many more, I wasted so many sundays being headachy and icky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My 18th is less than 5 weeks before the leaving, wonder how many people will end up coming? :(

On the bright side, going to an 18th tonight! :D Gonna be fun, going to a friend's house in about 2 hours for some pre-naggins, being the cheap kunts we are :D

The comparative essay, aiste, french comprehension and 3 chem long questions can wait until tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I said I'd study today. Went shopping instead :P productive afternoon I must say :D

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I said I'd study today. Went shopping instead :P productive afternoon I must say :D

I saw today that Jack & Jones have loads of new stock. An evening will be spent in there next week, courtesy of the rents! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I saw today that Jack & Jones have loads of new stock. An evening will be spent in there next week, courtesy of the rents! :pac:

Haha good shtuff :P I had a successful day I must say... Happy Siobhán :P

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I seem to be the only school in a 20 mile radius that doesn't have pre-mocks or Christmas tests.. Wouldn't mind them if I'm being honest :(

I have xmas tests, but not til..you know...xmas :P Some schools are mental having them this early :s I wouldnt want them though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I seem to be the only school in a 20 mile radius that doesn't have pre-mocks or Christmas tests.. Wouldn't mind them if I'm being honest :(

I was starting to wonder if there was anyone else who has neither, I'm not going to complain though :p

Ughhhh seriously I am freaking out here. Prepare for a rant.

My history teacher doesnt grade our work, and I just did an essay on the Eucharastic Congress (got it back after 3 weeks). He wrote "Strong analysis and great coverage of the congress. Well done" - sounds perfect but I wasnt sure so I asked what grade it would get. "I dont know, I'd have to remark it, but its not long enough to be A standard".

I asked him what else I could put in / where to find more information because I literally went through the case study paragraph by paragraph and he said he didnt know. So basically, my essay isnt good enough and is missing something but he doesnt know what.

He told me to read over the essay that I got an A1 in and see where my marks became 100/100 to know how much I should write. It sounded like a great idea and when I did, the marks added up to 78. What the hell?! I am so pissed off :( It couldnt really have been a case of adding up his marks wrong - it was 60 for one part, 40 for another, and he wrote 60 + 40 = 100 marks.

Seriously, teachers should be made to sit the LC too and really given a talking to if they cant manage an A1. Something as simple as adding up marks on the rare occasion that he actually marks them and he does it wrong. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Stuck at home for yet another Saturday night....:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

My xmas tests start the 28th of november :( . Must start studying for them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Good ole Google Translator to translate my french comprehensions for me. :)

Hey it's studying....right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

They do, got some nice stuff today :p
    After watching the match I think I'm going to be working from 4-12 tomorrow.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Ughhhh seriously I am freaking out here. Prepare for a rant.

My history teacher doesnt grade our work, and I just did an essay on the Eucharastic Congress (got it back after 3 weeks). He wrote "Strong analysis and great coverage of the congress. Well done" - sounds perfect but I wasnt sure so I asked what grade it would get. "I dont know, I'd have to remark it, but its not long enough to be A standard".

I asked him what else I could put in / where to find more information because I literally went through the case study paragraph by paragraph and he said he didnt know. So basically, my essay isnt good enough and is missing something but he doesnt know what.

He told me to read over the essay that I got an A1 in and see where my marks became 100/100 to know how much I should write. It sounded like a great idea and when I did, the marks added up to 78. What the hell?! I am so pissed off :( It couldnt really have been a case of adding up his marks wrong - it was 60 for one part, 40 for another, and he wrote 60 + 40 = 100 marks.

Seriously, teachers should be made to sit the LC too and really given a talking to if they cant manage an A1. Something as simple as adding up marks on the rare occasion that he actually marks them and he does it wrong. FML.

I feel your pain, you aren't alone. I want and I know I can get an A1 with the working, but the guidance I'm getting is crap. I am in the exact same situation as you. History teacher doesn't know how to correct work nor will she ever give a mark just the usual 'excellent' when correcting questions... I'd be here ages ranting about everything, but seems like we are on our own. Dunno what to do on getting a proper answer corrected. Finished my RSR today actually and I really hope it's gonna be ok for the exams...

Zhavey wrote: »
    I feel your pain, you aren't alone. I want and I know I can get an A1 with the working, but the guidance I'm getting is crap. I am in the exact same situation as you. History teacher doesn't know how to correct work nor will she ever give a mark just the usual 'excellent' when correcting questions... I'd be here ages ranting about everything, but seems like we are on our own. Dunno what to do on getting a proper answer corrected. Finished my RSR today actually and I really hope it's gonna be ok for the exams...
    I knowww, the other teacher is so good and I know I could've gotten get an A or B easily if I'd been in her class. I honestly feel like I'm doing the subject by myself, its ridiculous. I've no idea what to do either tbh. Regarding the RSR, I gave up my first draft in 5th year, got it back with absolutely nothing written on it and he just told me it was 'spot on' which was absolutely useless because it couldnt be A1 standard first time around. I edited it a bit and I'm waiting for my second draft back, while all my friends in the other class are long finished. I gave up hope of a good history grade in the middle of 5th year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Anyone worried about the orals?

I'm not a very confident speaker and I stumble over my words in the practice oral and lot and get all flustered and get my tenses and words wrong etc. And it's just one big red-faced mess

Fergus_ wrote: »

I'm not a very confident speaker and I stumble over my words in the practice oral and lot and get all flustered and get my tenses and words wrong etc. And it's just one big red-faced mess

We're not even doing any practice orals. I'm grand in Irish as I went to the gaeltacht this year, I'm not sure how well I would do with an examiner though, the last two times I had orals were at summer and the gaeltacht aptitude test and in both I stumbled over words, went blank on words, tenses, went red faced, the stuff you said:D. However I'll see how well I can put my new skills to the test.

I've never really spoken French, never in class. In fact I tried responding to a question from the book my friend asked me and I couldn't put a sentence together. I'm that awful, my examiner is going to think I'm a complete retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Jack & Jones are a bit expensive for me
    cant beat penneys

Lol at the stalking tag:D!

Jack & Jones are a bit expensive for me
    cant beat penneys
    Jack & Jones isn't that expensive! Compared to the knacker brands it's nothing!

I woke up in the cubicle of a random pub tonight, and when I was trying to text someone I forgot how to spell the word 'saying'. I feel like I might vomit again. **** my actual life. Never drinking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Fergus_ wrote: »

dude, ya cant be worse than me!!!

my teacher said i was shaking...i didnt even know... i was a COMPLETE mess!!!

sh*tting the brick lad :pac:

whats worse is the irish is 40% now...loads of people find that a blessing...for me its a bloody nightmare D;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Lads, I actually give up. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement