Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

What were ye expecting lads in fairness its not even a first round qualifier its a bloody preliminary round!!! the prize for the winners a mouth-watering clash against either London or Westmeath!!!! I wasnt really expecting it to be shown but of course as a Waterford man I'll be dissappointed not to see it.

We just need to accept where were at now. I dont think many neutrals would be as excited about this as we think. We were bloody awful against Clare and its an Offaly side that have neither progressed or regressed in about 7 or 8 years. We are not the glamourus swash-buckling team of old and I think RTE have this well-sussed as regards potential viewers.

I hear what your saying about some of the rubbish games shown live that weve had to endure in the provincial football championships but hopefully we'll get through the first round qualifiers and at least get back to a stage in the championship fit for prime-time viewing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

robopaddy wrote: »
    What were ye expecting lads in fairness its not even a first round qualifier its a bloody preliminary round!!! the prize for the winners a mouth-watering clash against either London or Westmeath!!!! I wasnt really expecting it to be shown but of course as a Waterford man I'll be dissappointed not to see it.

We just need to accept where were at now. I dont think many neutrals would be as excited about this as we think. We were bloody awful against Clare and its an Offaly side that have neither progressed or regressed in about 7 or 8 years. We are not the glamourus swash-buckling team of old and I think RTE have this well-sussed as regards potential viewers.

I hear what your saying about some of the rubbish games shown live that weve had to endure in the provincial football championships but hopefully we'll get through the first round qualifiers and at least get back to a stage in the championship fit for prime-time viewing!!!

i much rather be playing a mouth watering clash against London or Westmeath than playing Offaly. We could be out of the championship before Cork even play there first game (****ing Tom Dempsey doing that draw lol)

i dont think the passion is there in the Waterford team that there once was. Some of the young lads on the team would rather be parading around the Foundry/Masons imo.

The worst thing about a defeat next weekend is that we will have to drive back through Kilkenny (who will probly be out taking the piss)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the GAA put pressure on them to restrict the amount of Live games as it was impacting attendances.

I'd like to see proof of that. Every study I've ever seen showed that increased TV coverage led to increased attendances. Kev wrote some great posts about it in the past IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I don't doubt that it's true, and he always held is nerve particularly well for Waterford giving the abuse he used get. But Tuesday night was a case of any digs being preempted by himself, and I certainly didn't see any nasty off the ball incidents where players looked to be winding him up.

He played reasonably well, nearly goaled late on. He scored 0-2 points I think. He played wing forward for most of the game.

He will definitely play against Offaly, I'd say he'll start. Not sure though that he'll be fit enough to last the whole game but I suppose we'll see. Don't think he has played a whole match since Michael Ryan took over.
    Late on though there was a few nasty challenges definately involving mullane becuase shane ryan ran straight over to mullane hitting him shoulders and looking to start something. If the game wasn't over at that stage something definately would have happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Late on though there was a few nasty challenges definately involving mullane becuase shane ryan ran straight over to mullane hitting him shoulders and looking to start something. If the game wasn't over at that stage something definately would have happened

Are you talking about straight after the incident where he fouled Conor Gleeson? Because I definitely didn't see anything else. Maybe it did happen, but I definitely didn't see anything worth talking about here and doubt there was anything of that nature that happened.

I think you've jumped to a massive conclusion assuming whatever you saw had something to do with something Mullane said in a paper, especially given the quote I saw attributed to him was pretty innocuous.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i much rather be playing a mouth watering clash against London or Westmeath than playing Offaly. We could be out of the championship before Cork even play there first game (****ing Tom Dempsey doing that draw lol)

i dont think the passion is there in the Waterford team that there once was. Some of the young lads on the team would rather be parading around the Foundry/Masons imo.

The worst thing about a defeat next weekend is that we will have to drive back through Kilkenny (who will probly be out taking the piss)
    What makes you say that they would rather be parading around nightclubs? very harsh imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd like to see proof of that. Every study I've ever seen showed that increased TV coverage led to increased attendances. Kev wrote some great posts about it in the past IIRC.

Well, I'm not backing up anyone, but can you show the results of any of these studies!?

Personally, if a game is on TV, these days it'll often mean that I'll stay at home.

Well I did see shane ryan run a distance to get to mullane after whatever foul he committed, and exchange kind words and friendly shoulders. I'm not jumping to conclusions saying ahh he was definately doing this to defend his father after the comments mullane made, but the 1st incident involving mullane during the game and shane ryan was straight in on him within seconds lol

Well I did see shane ryan run a distance to get to mullane after whatever foul he committed, and exchange kind words and friendly shoulders. I'm not jumping to conclusions saying ahh he was definately doing this to defend his father after the comments mullane made, but the 1st incident involving mullane during the game and shane ryan was straight in on him within seconds lol

The worst foul I saw in the game was that one Mullane committed. If we use yellow cards as a gauge, I don't think there were many and Mullane received one for that foul. Understandably, they weren't happy with the foul and there was a bit of shoving and digging. But no striking, it was no more than you'd see in any club match anywhere in Ireland and completely harmless in comparison to the things you'd see in a lot of club games. The special attention your on about, was it just Shane Ryan and was it all centered around that incident? Because if it was, then I think you can safely assume it was 100% related to that rather than some petty personal vendetta.

To be honest, I would say John Mullane gets a much rougher time of it most of the time than what he got Tuesday.

Just shane ryan really, to be honest it was the only thing I took notice out of from a very poor game. Apart from jake dillon scoring 1-6 this was my other highlight which is why I keep referring to it,

Forget about it now really, move on to the offaly game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

robopaddy wrote: »

The GAA rule change a couple of years back regarding live broadcast of the qualifiers is crazy. No preliminary round games are allowed, and 1 game per round thereafter, thats not one game from each code per round, just 1 game per round between the hurling and football. This is at a stage when each game is knock out and has an added edge too it

In the meantime they show lots of relatively meaningless provincial preliminary, first, and quarter finals. Take Kerry v Tipp in the football as a prime example. These games arent knock out and the loser always has another game.

They cite low attendances as the issue, but TV is definitely not the sole reason for low attendances. Prices are too high - provincial quarter final was €25 for a ticket. Venues and fixtures dont make sense - eg making people travel to Thurles for Waterford v Clare, it should be on a home/away basis for the early rounds. Cork and Clare play each other on consecutive weekends in Munster Semi Finals in hurling and football, why oh why are they not fixed for a double header. Blaming low attendances on TV coverage is unfair, there are many factors not just TV.

In my opinion more games on TV promotes the game and widens the appeal. Hurling in particular will have very few knock out games between big teams that will appeal to the TV audience. Lets have a look at this year

Preliminary Qualifier
    1 game - Offaly v Waterford

1st Phase Qualifier
    No game will appeal to TV

2nd Phase Qualifier
    1 game will appeal to TV Loser of KK/Wex/Dub semi final v Munster semi final loser

3rd Phase Qualifier
    Both games will likely appeal to TV

However due to the GAA rules, a maximum of 2 hurling qualifiers will be likely to be shown, 1 from phase 2 and 1 from phase 3 AND 2 been shown will depend on the outcome of the football qualifier draws, if say Tyrone and Mayo for example happened to be paired together in the 2nd round of the football, you can be sure that would be shown

I would be in favour of firstly as many games as possible being aired live, and secondly if the GAA dont want this they should lessen the number of the early provincial games being shown live and increase the number of qualifiers being shown live

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PTH2009 wrote: »

Firstly, get a fukking grip with your ridiculous comment about young lads parading around nightclubs, what a load of crock, and who are you to be critisising lads who give up a $hitload of free time to train and play for their county.

Secondly, if indeed we are out of the championship before Cork play, what does it matter? Is there some prize for going out after Cork? I too would prefer a handy game first up but I dont think it makes that much of a difference, fact remains that if we cant beat Offaly on the 22nd, then we wouldnt be much more likely to beat them a week later. If we couldnt beat Offaly early on in the qualifiers then we are best off out of it and build for next year.

I know you are the thread pessimist, but its one thing being on here always convinced we will lose, its another taking potshots at young amateur players. We might lose on Saturday week, I dont think we will, but if we do then so be it, you will doubtless feel you are justified with the pessimism, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

KevIRL wrote: »

They cite low attendances as the issue, but TV is definitely not the sole reason for low attendances. Prices are too high - provincial quarter final was €25 for a ticket.

totally agree. they are still operating on celtic tiger prices yet no one is showing up to the games. hard to know if its either greed or stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Are you talking about straight after the incident where he fouled Conor Gleeson? QUOTE]

How did Conor Gleeson play the other night? He seems to be a good prospect.

Cake Man wrote: »

He scored a point, was involved a lot in the play. Seemed to be getting fouled a lot too, his marker was one of the other players to see yellow. Had a lot of focus on him I think, Fourmile were missing a few and it was a horrible night so wouldn't have suited him either. I thought he did quite well all in all.

Are you talking about straight after the incident where he fouled Conor Gleeson? QUOTE]

looks a serious prospect and got 1 great score, but de la salle were way too strong from the start the other night and fourmile never looked like causing any problems for them. Will be a different side when jamie barron returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

looks a serious prospect and got 1 great score, but de la salle were way too strong from the start the other night and fourmile never looked like causing any problems for them. Will be a different side when jamie barron returns.

He goes to school in Clonmel and plays Harty with Clonmel CBS he's very highly regarded there. Before the Tipp minor match in Walsh Pk there was a lot of surprise among the tipp minors who were aware of him that he didnt make the team that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Whats the story with injuries guys? Will lads like foley, shane fives, shane walsh and brian o halloran be alright for the offaly game?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

O Riain wrote: »
    Whats the story with injuries guys? Will lads like foley, shane fives, shane walsh and brian o halloran be alright for the offaly game?

Think so all good on the injury front. Should be a bit of a shock in the forward line from what ive heard, a switch from midfield to the half forward line

IanVW wrote: »
    Think so all good on the injury front. Should be a bit of a shock in the forward line from what ive heard, a switch from midfield to the half forward line
    darragh fives?

• Advertisement

pm sent

It hardly involves two blood relations does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Seniors playing under 21's on Sunday. Should give a good impression of who'll be in contention. I'd be very surprised if the changed midfield. Saying that, hopefully shane fives and Walsh come back into contention. Richie foley also now available. Maybe having those three back does give some room for manoeuvre. If fives is fit I'd have him back in corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

glick6 wrote: »
    Seniors playing under 21's on Sunday. Should give a good impression of who'll be in contention. I'd be very surprised if the changed midfield. Saying that, hopefully shane fives and Walsh come back into contention. Richie foley also now available. Maybe having those three back does give some room for manoeuvre. If fives is fit I'd have him back in corner back.

i cant see Foley being match fit, just yet.

is it next week the minors are playing

Hslaw wrote: »
    is it next week the minors are playing

Wednesday 26th i think

Wednesday 26th i think

nice one, cheers.

glick6 wrote: »
    Any idea where that's on?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Tell the rest of us cant you! Tis a discussion forum after all :).
    I really hope it is Darragh Fives on half forward line. Great hand and will win ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Read previous posts mountainlad not far off in what he says

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement