Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Sully into centre forward maybe? Hardly earth shattering stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

They should throw Tony Browne in full forward and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Waterford played and beat under 21's in a challenge this morning, wasn't there but hearing Shane walsh and Jamie Nagle came off with serious looking injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,988 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford played and beat under 21's in a challenge this morning, wasn't there but hearing Shane walsh and Jamie Nagle came off with serious looking injuries.

Two huge losses for us, Offaly will be laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

Poor Jamie, after giving his best performance in a Waterford shirt and silencing the doubters (i will admit to being one myself) and then to be potentially out of the next match

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

deisedude wrote: »
    Poor Jamie, after giving his best performance in a Waterford shirt and silencing the doubters (i will admit to being one myself) and then to be potentially out of the next match

we dont know anything yet only what it 'looked like' from a spectator. lets just see what becomes of it before we start writing his obituary

anyone have a report on that match...? teams etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    we dont know anything yet only what it 'looked like' from a spectator. lets just see what becomes of it before we start writing his obituary

He did say potentially in fairness.

Not writing him off by any means. Hope he is fit and ready for the Offaly game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

Teebor15 wrote: »
    They should throw Tony Browne in full forward and see what happens!

HE can do some mental damage from the half forward line, but wouldn't have the legs for the full forward , its been a decade since he played there that i know of, but sure in the cork Munster final in 10 i believe he got 2 points from the half forward line, scooped the goal, and stopped a near certain goal with his head.

I could be mixing the two matches up here ,i was at both and dont hink i got to watch the coverage

HE can do some mental damage from the half forward line, but wouldn't have the legs for the full forward , its been a decade since he played there that i know of, but sure in the cork Munster final in 10 i believe he got 2 points from the half forward line, scooped the goal, and stopped a near certain goal with his head.

I could be mixing the two matches up here ,i was at both and dont hink i got to watch the coverage

I think he should have been thrown in at the end of the Clare match into the forwards and see what he would do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Teams.

Senior.

Iggy first half. Sok second.
    Shane Fives. Played whole game.
    Lawlor.
    Connors.
    Nagle.
    Brick.
    Foley. Also played whole game.
    Moran.
    Barrett.
    Shane O'Sullivan
    Pender.
    Shanahan.
    Martin O'Neill.
    Shane Walsh.
    Brian O Sullivan.

As for the U-21's. can't give a full line out.

Paudi prendergast, darragh fives, ray Barry, Gavin o Brien, jake Dillon, Jamie Barron, paudi Mahoney, eamonn Murphy, Cormac Heffernan all played.

From the report I got Shane Walsh was having a flier before he had to go off.

Half back line :-( whoops

Anyone thinkin of stayin up there saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

You going gatting?

shoddy14 wrote: »
    You going gatting?

Keeping an open mind. We dont see the qualifier route too often so may aswell use the opportunity to tour the country see where it takes us!!

accommodation situation dosent look the best up there though

I dont drive,and will be too late for the last train, so was thinking bout it alright

Keeping an open mind. We dont see the qualifier route too often so may aswell use the opportunity to tour the country see where it takes us!!

Sure who needs accommodation in a Country full of ditches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

The girlfriend is from there, so I spend more time there than I do in Waterford!

The Court Hotel is nice - a fairly standard modern hotel. It's probably about 15-20 minutes walk to the ground. The Bridge hotel is grand too. It's a little closer, but I'd be concerned about the nightclub in it (I stayed in a hotel in Kilkenny before with a nightclub in it and I did not sleep!). There's a former Days hotel there as well which I'm sure is a fairly standard modern hotel as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Any updates on Walsh/Nagle's fitness?

Sure who needs accommodation in a Country full of ditches

true enough I'll probably wake up on a pile of turf inside in some bog anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Shane Walsh is definitely out. Nagle is no better than 50/50 to play on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Add O halloran to being definitely out aswel id say

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Shane Walsh is definitely out. Nagle is no better than 50/50 to play on Saturday.

Interesting that you'd know this already. Can't imagine either injury been properly assessed yet considering it was only yesterday and they aren't training again until Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,988 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would brining Gary Hurney back into the senoir hurling team be a good idea

he could add a bit of size to the forward line imagine a forward line of this

10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Sullivan

13 Pauric Mahony
    14 Gary Hurney
    15 Jake Dillion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

PTH2009 wrote: »

10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Sullivan

13 Pauric Mahony
    14 Gary Hurney
    15 Jake Dillion

God no, Hurney is too slow hurlingwise for intercounty.
    And Brian O Sullivan wing forward. Just like his clubmate, he is not physical enough for the half forward line.

PTH2009 wrote: »

10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Sullivan

13 Pauric Mahony
    14 Gary Hurney
    15 Jake Dillion

Serious promotion for Brian O'Sullivan there. Would seriously undermine a decision to bring in Hurney for his size, to put Brian O Sullivan wing forward given the how light he is and it really wouldn't make sense given the main problem we had the last day was winning ball in the half forward line.

Anyway, you won't see Hurney on the hurling panel for at least 6 months and quite likely you won't see him on it ever again.

As for Mullane's article, it's very negative stuff to be reading. Don't think that's really a help to the team and it almost seems like he actively wants to put more pressure on them. I don't agree that this is the culmination of 12 years work, not under any circumstances is it. Would be a big blow to lose, but not irreparable and to be honest don't think psychologically as damaging as he claims.

Time will tell whether any positional switches prove to be correct but from the managements perspective they need to find a way to make the ball stick further up the field, we can't have it coming straight back down on top of us. I get what he's saying to a point, and to create a goal threat pace is important in the half forward line but Maurice Shanahan does pose that threat when running at goal, he is quite a good creater of space.

I know it can seem a bit much to criticize in hindsight, but to be honest I also think it's a bit rash to be criticial of a decision that hasn't even officially been made yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If we don't have a ball winning full forward, than we should look towards alternative options.

When DLS were managed by Ryan, a lot of low ball was played in front of a mobile full forward line including Mullane and Dillon.

This was a bit more of a football style of play, and it worked. Whatever inside forward who won possession would be supported by a runner coming off their shoulder, who normally received a hand pass or short pass which would leave them bearing down on goal or with space to go for a point. The half forward line usually withdrew slightly to fight for ball around the middle, and would look to take the ball of the shoulder.

I'd love to see more of this style of play with Waterford, and I think we need to look more towards this with the type of players we have available to us. Strong ball winners are in very short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

God no, Hurney is too slow hurlingwise for intercounty.
    And Brian O Sullivan wing forward. Just like his clubmate, he is not physical enough for the half forward line.

A less radical proposal would be to place Shane O'Sullivan at centre forward, and move Prendergast into full forward. I'd be pretty happy with that.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    A less radical proposal would be to place Shane O'Sullivan at centre forward, and move Prendergast into full forward. I'd be pretty happy with that.

Certainly an option at some stage in the game anyway even if not from the start should. We did try O'Sullivan there in 2011 and that was abandoned after the Tipp game, but I thought he had justified his selection there on most outings that year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement