Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you look at my comment again, you'll see I didn't suggest anything other than the fact that other counties may have trainers of his quality. His presence mightn't be as huge a bonus as it might have been five years ago.

I've been trained myself by Flanagan, I know how good he is. He did huge work with Kerry to turn them around in '04 and 05 in particular. But that was Kerry, and they will always be in the mix to win All Irelands.

Having had first hand experience of being trained under Flanagan, and taking into account his past record, what would your opinion be of a team under his care wilting in the last ten minutes of the munster championship? that was the crux of my argument.

I am not talking about All Irelands, I am talking about 70 minutes, I saw something that bothered me in that game, and having re-watched it on telly, too many players had given up the ghost after 60 minutes, just watching it you knew we were gone and it wasnt because of lack of fitness. my point is in that instance you can have the best physical trainer on the planet and it wont make a difference, do ya get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

noiniho wrote: »
    Having had first hand experience of being trained under Flanagan, and taking into account his past record, what would your opinion be of a team under his care wilting in the last ten minutes of the munster championship? that was the crux of my argument.

I am not talking about All Irelands, I am talking about 70 minutes, I saw something that bothered me in that game, and having re-watched it on telly, too many players had given up the ghost after 60 minutes, just watching it you knew we were gone and it wasnt because of lack of fitness. my point is in that instance you can have the best physical trainer on the planet and it wont make a difference, do ya get me?

Yeah, I'd say the mental fatigue was there as well. A lot of young lads being blooded like that - it's a tough ask and can take it's toll mentally. I know Clare are very young also, but a lot of their lads came through a couple of years ago and have that experience.

I would also include the point that we were probably just out-hurled as well. Both teams had similar periods of dominance through the game, but Clare were more clinical when they were dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Confirmed - Offaly V Waterford has a 7 p.m. throw in at O'Connor Park Tullamore, Saturday June 22nd.

Would expect RTE to announce live coverage in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Would expect RTE to announce live coverage in due course.

I'd say they will wait for football qualifer draw to be done, as in the GAA's infinite wisdon (/sarcasm) only 1 game from the qualifers each round can be shown. Thats 1 game from between each code, not one from each code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say the mental fatigue was there as well. A lot of young lads being blooded like that - it's a tough ask and can take it's toll mentally. I know Clare are very young also, but a lot of their lads came through a couple of years ago and have that experience.

I would also include the point that we were probably just out-hurled as well. Both teams had similar periods of dominance through the game, but Clare were more clinical when they were dominant.

I reckon they dropped their heads on account of Clare winning puckout after puckout, and the lack of a plan b to win primary possesion from our puckouts. Must be very tough mentally to see your marker keep catching balls and still have all the balls keep coming down on you with no change.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    I'd say they will wait for football qualifer draw to be done, as in the GAA's infinite wisdon (/sarcasm) only 1 game from the qualifers each round can be shown. Thats 1 game from between each code, not one from each code.

There are no footballe qualifiers that weekend.

• Advertisement

There are no footballe qualifiers that weekend.

Its per round though not per weekend.

Unless its changed this year, which I hope it has as its ridiculous to restrict the showing of games once it gets to actual knock out stage

Unless its changed this year, which I hope it has as its ridiculous to restrict the showing of games once it gets to actual knock out stage

It's the preliminary round though? Would that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It is ridiculous really, there have been some classic matches in the qualifiers which have received little to no coverage. Wish RTE streamed the matches on the website or something. I think every GAA match should be uploaded somewhere at the end of the season, if nothing else, it's an awful shame for all those games to disappear.

It's the preliminary round though? Would that make a difference?

It might! Nice spot. Thats made me a lot more confident that it'll be on the box.

Vital for me that it is, as I am getting married the day before and have been told in no uncertain terms will I be allowed to head to Tullamore the day after the wedding.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It is ridiculous really, there have been some classic matches in the qualifiers which have received little to no coverage. Wish RTE streamed the matches on the website or something. I think every GAA match should be uploaded somewhere at the end of the season, if nothing else, it's an awful shame for all those games to disappear.

Yer preaching to the converted hear Fireball07, its just short sightedness of the GAA to restrict the number of games, and try to blame low attendances on the fact the game is on TV while largely ignoring the other issues that affect attendances - pricing, ground location etc.

To make it worse they show loads of relatively meaningless provincial games (Kerry v Tipp anyone?) where the outcome does not mean elimination for the loser.

In my mind they should show as many games as possible live, provincial, qualifer and All Ireland series, as long term the more games live on TV means more exposure for the sport and higher attendances. Of course this level of joined up thinking wouldnt exist in the upper echelons of the organisation

• Advertisement

It might! Nice spot. Thats made me a lot more confident that it'll be on the box.

Vital for me that it is, as I am getting married the day before and have been told in no uncertain terms will I be allowed to head to Tullamore the day after the wedding.

Congratulations, hope it all goes well! :)

Hopefully we'll all be celebrating on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

She can't really love you then! ;)

deiseach wrote: »
    She can't really love you then! ;)

She is from KK, and places no importance in going to games unless its an AI final :pac:

She is from KK, and places no importance in going to games unless its an AI final :pac:

5759592284_53e0e49c77_z.jpg

KevIRL and his bride-to-be yesterday.

deiseach wrote: »
    5759592284_53e0e49c77_z.jpg

KevIRL and his bride-to-be yesterday.

Well considering we live in The Gaza Strip Ferrybank its kinda like that everyday

Just noticed on the hurling championship thread that ticket prices for the hurling qualifier v Offaly are €15 stand and €10 terrace, really argue with those prices. Hopefully a good crowd will travel up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

Just noticed on the hurling championship thread that ticket prices for the hurling qualifier v Offaly are €15 stand and €10 terrace, really argue with those prices. Hopefully a good crowd will travel up for it

just booked mine on tickets.ie:D unreserved seating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭deisedude

IanVW wrote: »
    just booked mine on tickets.ie:D unreserved seating

Did you get a print out ticket or will it be delivered to you? Living in galway but my billing address is the family home.

deisedude wrote: »
    Did you get a print out ticket or will it be delivered to you? Living in galway but my billing address is the family home.

getting it delivered:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭seananigans

Does anyone know the transport situation up to the match from Dublin? If I can get a half day on the Saturday,would love to head up.

PS anyone need a hand with petrol money let me know :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Does anyone know the transport situation up to the match from Dublin? If I can get a half day on the Saturday,would love to head up.

If you go 'up' from Dublin to Tullamore it will cost quite a bit in petrol Money I would have thought :D

Train from Heuston is only an hour from Tullamore is probably your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Your talking about 30 quid return on train to and from dublin. Probably aswell off stick to the motor as the ground is a bit out of town anyway

If you go 'up' from Dublin to Tullamore it will cost quite a bit in petrol Money I would have thought :D

yeah, I asked an Offaly girl about the transport situation in work , said about the train ,annoyingly she doesn't have a clue about hurling ,so little abuse is possible :-( ,heres hoping the players will be the same way :-)

Oh and If is ever start saying down the country may I be stabbed with a rusty spoon and hoisted onto hill 16 in a Jackeen jersey during a football match :-)

Oh and If is ever start saying down the country may I be stabbed with a rusty spoon

Sounds reasonable.
    and hoisted onto hill 16

Harsh but fair.
    in a Jackeen jersey

Okay, steady on there.
    during a football match :-)

Ah come on! There's a whole chapter in the Geneva Convention prohibiting that particular punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Anyone down in Fraher last night? Fourmile must have been piss poor were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

For some reason this reminds me of the story of a farmer in the old American West who got married. After the ceremony, he took his new wife back to the farm in his horse & carriage. About a mile along the way, the horse stumbled and the farmer said: "That's once". Another mile along, and the horse stumbled again. The farmer said "That's twice". A bit further along, and the horse stumbled again. The farmer stopped the carriage, got his gun out of the back, and shot the horse dead. His wife exclaimed: "What the hell did you shoot a good horse like that for?". The farmer replied: "That's once".

Best of luck anyway and have a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anyone down in Fraher last night? Fourmile must have been piss poor were they?
    what a loss jamie barron is to the team, from the start de la salle just dominated, fourmile weren't even trying in the 2nd half never looked like they wanted to win it. few digs and shoulders thrown mullanes way in the 2nd half, don't think the fourmile players took too kindly to the comments he made about michael ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭soggy biscuit

Where was Jamie Barron?

• Advertisement

Where was Jamie Barron?

Suspended

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement