Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

dzilla wrote: »
    Fux sake mullane entitled to say what he believes.

He was on a hiding to nothing writing that article

Doubt some of ye would say as much if ye wherent hiding behind a boards alias

Waterford to win by 2 - 4 points on Sat. If they cant beat offaly thy are not at much... offaly a loada physical(fat) nothings with that numpty Jolly Baker overseeing them
    Is Mullane not paid to give his opinion? The people he is criticising are not getting paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Personally I don't think Mullane should be writing as he is. Fair enough he us entitled to his opinion but I suspect a lot of his former teammates and a lot of Waterford supporters have lost a lot of respect for him. He is in danger of sullying his reputation ala Roy Keane.

Team I would start Sat - SOK, S.Fives, Lawlor, Connors; Nagle, Brick, D.Fives; Moran, Foley; Mahony, Shane O'S, Maurice; Barron, Seamus, Dillon

Looking forward to travelling up, hope there will be reasonable support despite the location

ManFromCheese in Ryan slating shocker :eek:

Mullane choose to walk away and has no business undermining the efforts of the man chosen to lead Waterford, not only that but he is insulting he's former team mates with all this childish carry on, great hurler he may have been but it would appear that class is something he lacks.
    Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

culbaire wrote: »
    Is Mullane not paid to give his opinion? The people he is criticising are not getting paid.

Not trying to be smart or anything because I agree with what you say (apart from the calss for Mullane to make himself available) but the button with the inverted commas at the bottom right of every post allows you to quote as many people as you want in the one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

"call me out", what do you mean? I don't care where hes from either but I find it a bit rich somebody from Tipperary coming onto the Waterford page and criticising players and past players, would he be as quick to criticise hes own is what im asking?! seems that some of ye seem fine with this.
    Who has premierstone criticised besides mullane? And he's right to do so anyway, mullane shouldn't be using the media to heep pressure on Michael Ryan just because he doesn't get on with him.

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Why would he make himself available, he's retired after all??
    Look to the future and the players that are there now rather than looking back.
    He is sniping from the sidelines. Note how the other great Waterford players who retired are not sniping from the sidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Who has premierstone criticised besides mullane? And he's right to do so anyway, mullane shouldn't be using the media to heep pressure on Michael Ryan just because he doesn't get on with him.

hes paid to write, who wants to read boring dross like what somebody from Kilkenny would write, hes being controversial and that's what the public want to read....Lar Corbett has had plenty to say for himself in the media these last 2 years and hes still "playing"....Mullane has never said he doesn't get on with Ryan, he said his decision to retire had nothing to do with Ryan, its all heresay and speculation that the 2 don't get on. what mullane has being saying is the truth, people used to love him playing with his heart on his sleeve, now hes being paid to write what he thinks so fair play, support the man!

He is sniping from the sidelines. Note how the other great Waterford players who retired are not sniping from the sidelines.

ken and flynner said plenty about Davy when they retired. dan too for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

"call me out", what do you mean? I don't care where hes from either but I find it a bit rich somebody from Tipperary coming onto the Waterford page and criticising players and past players, would he be as quick to criticise hes own is what im asking?! seems that some of ye seem fine with this.
    Quite a few Waterford posters have said the same thing already. Normally in hurling (or other sports) recently retired players are massively biased to their old team and go incredibly soft on them. They won't say boo to them. Mullane keeps coming out with things that increase the pressure on Ryan and it's not helpful. Nothing individually has been that bad but cumulatively you'd have to say Mullane doesn't like him. I don't begrudge Mullane retiring and I don't think he has to like Michael Ryan but it's feeding into more pressure on the young lads who were his team mates just a year ago. He'd be better off keeping schtum until at least the season is over.

He is right in a way. If we did lose then we could end up falling down 5 or more places in the end of year rankings. On the other hand it's a transitional team missing quite a few lads playing away to a decent side with their tails up. It's easy to explain away and we'll be back in Division 1 next year.

Also, the hyperbole is ridiculous. Strictly speaking he's said this match is bigger than the All Ireland Final in 08! Though I wouldn't blame him for wiping it from his memory :(.

No it wont be a massive set back. A new team has to be built. It will take 2/3 years. Mullane is trying to heap pressure on Michael Ryan.

yes it would be a set back, going out in june being bet by a division 2 team, wake up boy ffs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Team to face Offaly on Saturday evening

1. Stephen O'Keeffe Ballygunner

2. Shane Fives Carrigtwohill

3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater

4. Noel Connors Passage

5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

6. Michael Walsh Stradbally

7. Darragh Fives Tourin

8. Paudie Prendergast Lismore

9. Kevin Moran (CAPT.) De La Salle

10. Jake Dillon De La Salle

11. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore

12. Shane O'Sullivan Ballygunner

13 Jamie Barron Fourmilewater

14. Maurice Shanahan Lismore

15. Brian O'Sullivan Ballygunner

hes paid to write, who wants to read boring dross like what somebody from Kilkenny would write, hes being controversial and that's what the public want to read....Lar Corbett has had plenty to say for himself in the media these last 2 years and hes still "playing"....Mullane has never said he doesn't get on with Ryan, he said his decision to retire had nothing to do with Ryan, its all heresay and speculation that the 2 don't get on. what mullane has being saying is the truth, people used to love him playing with his heart on his sleeve, now hes being paid to write what he thinks so fair play, support the man!
    He sniped at Michael Ryan on the Monday after the Clare match. Last Monday he was at it again trying to ramp up the pressure. Let's see what Mullane's management record will be over the next few years. It is plain for all to see what game he is playing. The young team needs all the support it can get not discouragement.

shoddy14 wrote: »

4. Noel Connors Passage

5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

7. Darragh Fives Tourin

Thanks. Offaly rumoured to have a few injuries. Probably playing mind games.

4. Noel Connors Passage

5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

7. Darragh Fives Tourin

I'd really go for foley / barrett ahead of paudie pender, not ready for senior yet imo especially at midfield

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I'd really go for foley / barrett ahead of paudie pender, not ready for senior yet imo especially at midfield

don't say that man, the west Waterford posters will be after you for saying that, telling you that you havn't a clue....

thought paudie did well v clare in fairness...

hard to know what way they'll actually line out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Will Prendergast not play in the corner again, with Fives going to midfield?

From an outside perspective it seems interesting...Mahony dropped? No O'Halloran either, is he injured?

If O'Sullivan, Prendergast and Shanahan all line out in the forwards, there is ball-winning ability there. Dillon looked impressive the last day, and someone like Barron might do better against Offaly than Clare.

yes it would be a set back, going out in june being bet by a division 2 team, wake up boy ffs!!
    Limerick is a division two team (1b). Limerick beat Tipp. Where does that leave Tipp so? Offaly scored four goals against Kilkenny.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Will Prendergast not play in the corner again, with Fives going to midfield?

From an outside perspective it seems interesting...Mahony dropped? No O'Halloran either, is he injured?

If O'Sullivan, Prendergast and Shanahan all line out in the forwards, there is ball-winning ability there. Dillon looked impressive the last day, and someone like Barron might do better against Offaly than Clare.
    Nah prendergast will start wing back and fives will be midfield I reckon, O'Hallorans after damaging his ankle and wont be ready until the 3rd qualifier, he's been so unlucky with injuries since 2010 it's ridiculous. Yeah Mahony got dropped, he'l be back though still only 21 and plenty of hurling ahead of him still

Limerick is a division two team (1b). Limerick beat Tipp. Where does that leave Tipp so? Offaly scored four goals against Kilkenny.

lets put things in perspective, limerick hurling is streets ahead of offalys, underage, colleges etc, limerick came within a puck of a ball of beating tipp last year, limerick were v unlucky to miss out on promotion these last 3 years, they should have been promoted 3 years ago only for the system to change and they got fcuked over. Limerick have household names in their line up, who do offaly have outside of shane Dooley?(who was poor v Kilkenny)
    what of note have offaly done this past decade or more? offaly hurling is in a chronic state. they performed well against Kilkenny, but got 2 of those 4 goals in the last few mins when the game was over and the first 2 came in the opening minutes. Kilkenny were cruising the whole game and didn't get out of 3rd gear really, minus shefflin, fennelly and Tyrell (for most of the game).
    Comparing limerick and offaly is not comparing like with like.
    if maintaining div 1 status and hoping to get beyone june in the cship is the height of our expectations and ambitions then we are in real trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

This thread is becoming a f*cking joke with people airing personal gripes at every given chance and harking back to pathetic east west rivalries. Maybe UpTheDeise wasn't so bad after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

don't say that man, the west Waterford posters will be after you for saying that, telling you that you havn't a clue....

lord god what are we dealing with here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

4. Noel Connors Passage

5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

7. Darragh Fives Tourin

Happy enough with that team. Half forward line looks more physical than before and expect maurice to swap with jake dillon at some stage during the match. Defence looks strong and was impressed with Paudie Prendergast the last day, so glad he gets another chance. Also delighted Jamie Nagle is fit after his brilliant performance the last day and hope we can see more of the same from him. Don't think Pauric Mahony can complain about being dropped but he is a good option to bring into the full forward line (think he is too lightweight for half forward) at some stage. Anyone know what the story with Shane Walsh is. Another good option from the bench if fit enough, hopefully. Looking forward to saturday evening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

. Don't think Pauric Mahony can complain about being dropped but he is a good option to bring into the full forward line (think he is too lightweight for half forward) at some stage.

I think the way hurling has gone its as much about the panel these days aswell as the team and its nearly just as important to have strong fellahs coming off the bench as it is to have them starting.

Last year when Limerick were beaten by Tipp in the Munster championship John Allen conceded that it was the bench that won it for Tipp. This year he was very shrewd in his approach he kept a couple of big name lads in reserve like dowling and downes and when the game was in the melting pot with 10/15 minutes to go he brought them in and it had the desired effect. I know Paudie is dropped due to form but so were those lads and I think were going to see a lot more of this from teams in the future.

With regard to Shane Walsh, injured again but from what I have seen of him this year he hasn't been fit anyway and I think injuries have taken their toll.

lets put things in perspective, limerick hurling is streets ahead of offalys, underage, colleges etc, limerick came within a puck of a ball of beating tipp last year, limerick were v unlucky to miss out on promotion these last 3 years, they should have been promoted 3 years ago only for the system to change and they got fcuked over. Limerick have household names in their line up, who do offaly have outside of shane Dooley?(who was poor v Kilkenny)
    what of note have offaly done this past decade or more? offaly hurling is in a chronic state. they performed well against Kilkenny, but got 2 of those 4 goals in the last few mins when the game was over and the first 2 came in the opening minutes. Kilkenny were cruising the whole game and didn't get out of 3rd gear really, minus shefflin, fennelly and Tyrell (for most of the game).
    Comparing limerick and offaly is not comparing like with like.
    if maintaining div 1 status and hoping to get beyone june in the cship is the height of our expectations and ambitions then we are in real trouble.
    Both counties are Division 1B. Period.
    If it is a disaster for Waterford to be beaten by a division 1B team, it must equally be a disaster for Tipp to be beaten by another division 1B team Limertick. I have been to club hurling matches in Offaly last year. The standard is higher than in Limerick. Which country has more success in the club championships? Offaly of course. Waterford has injury problems and is missing key players. Offaly scored four goals against Kilkenny. When did Waterford ever score four goals against Kilkenny? Offaly people are supremely confident of defeating Waterford.

Waterford recovered from annihilation by Kilkenny in an All Ireland final. Defeat by Offaly would be a setback but not a disaster. Mullane has gone down in a lot of supporters estimation. He is not exactly a master of logical thinking. Waterford recovered from an All ireland Final hammering and won the Munster Senior Hurling championship. Lets quit fighting among ourselves.
    In 1958 Waterford was annihilated in the Munster hurling championship. It came back in 1959 and won the All Ireland. That's the real Waterford for you. We are stronger than any column from Mullane in the Independent and we dont quit promoting hurling. We are not influenced by Mullane's illogical thinking and hyperbole. We see it for what it is. We are not lily-livered. Anybody with a brain in his/her head can see that Waterford is in transition and is building a new team. This will take 2/3 years. There will be setbacks. So what? Lets get on and do our best to beat Offaly. Ignore the critics. If we are beaten we just lick our wounds, learn the lessons and prepare for next year. We are a resilient people. Hurling is part of what we are Mullane or no Mullane. We do not believe in the doom and gloom scenario outlined by a less than logical Mullane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Offaly people are supremely confident of defeating Waterford.

Really? Is this based on some objective evidence or just a feeling in their collective waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

deiseach wrote: »
    Really? Is this based on some objective evidence or just a feeling in their collective waters?

Seen it in their tea leafs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

well I think you've enough problems in Tipperary and players (lar) speaking when they shouldn't be to be commenting on Waterford and john mullane!! as you said yourself, childish carry on and lacking in class!!!

I have been plenty critical of Lar and he's carry on since 2010, you won't have seen it because up untill a few weeks ago all Tipp GAA discussion was confined to the Tipp Forum. Actually I would say Lar and John have alot in common, lets just say neither will be winning Mastermind anytime soon and the rag that is known as the Independent is/was making a fool out of both of them.

I didn't criticise any Waterford player, John Mullane is retired. In fact quite the opposite I was making the point that what Mullane is doing now is insulting to the likes of Tony Browne, Brick Walsh, Kevin Moran et al who fought in the trenches with him and now he is heaping pressure on them just because like yourself he wants to see Ryan fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

I'm an Offaly Hurling man, and i can tell you that Offaly are hoping to push Waterford all the way.
    Do we think we can beat Waterford. well that a tough one to answer.
    But Yes, if everything goes our way and i mean everything.

The biggest Problem in Offaly Hurling is Ollie Baker. The man can't manage a bag of crisps. We can't keep our best hurlers on the panel or he hasn't called them up. just mad stuff. After 20 months of Bakers if you ask anyone in Offaly what the game plan for Sat will be. they will laugh at you. We normal don't have one.
    From Last year team that played Cork Offaly have lost 6 Starters. From the Panel that day in June last year 13 from 26. From the 13 lost 10 aged between 22-26.
    Our tactics are a joke. Against Kilkenny we fell in a tactic that worked OK for us on the day that was about it. If you look at the Kilkenny game and think that the way we are going to play, you will be in for a shock because that game plan work ok so it will have to be changed.

My own prediction for Sat night is like Baker Management style. I honestly don't have a fecking clue what is going to happen. If you ask any Offaly Hurling fan they tell you the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

he'd manage to ate the same bag of chrisps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'm an Offaly Hurling man, and i can tell you that Offaly are hoping to push Waterford all the way.
    Do we think we can beat Waterford. well that a tough one to answer.
    But Yes, if everything goes our way and i mean everything.

Thanks for the input. I'm certain Offaly people are going into this game thinking they have a good chance if the ball hops right for them on the day (© all pundits) but I'd be baffled if they were approaching it with supreme confidence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement