Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I reckon Shane Walsh would be a massive blow for ye, you could get past Offaly, but I reckon if you had him against Clare, you'd have a much better chance.

When you have so many young forwards, and others who struggle to contribute regularly from play, having someone like Walsh is a big blow. Last year, I thought Mullane and Walsh were your only real threats up front..... there was a huge reliance on Mullane obviously, but without him, to lose Walsh aswell is massive.

Is O'Halloran likely to be fit, I think he's very good...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Would brining Gary Hurney back into the senoir hurling team be a good idea

hes had his chance before the man is well into his 30s now theres nothing to be gained out of bringing him back. We need to realise that its about the future now and blooding young players should be priority. Seamus Prendergast is still there he does what he does well and shows good example to the younger lads theres no need for a poorer version of him to be there aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

hardybuck wrote: »
    A less radical proposal would be to place Shane O'Sullivan at centre forward, and move Prendergast into full forward. I'd be pretty happy with that.
    Who would you put into midfield then? take into account jamie nagles injury aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Who would you put into midfield then? take into account jamie nagles injury aswel

Shane Fives to corner back, Darragh Fives and Kevin Moran at midfield.

If Nagle was injured you have Tony Browne or Richie Foley who can play wing back. If neither of those were fit I'd fire either Dean Twomey or Eddie Barrett into midfield and drop either Moran or Fives to wing back before I'd consider lads like Brian O'Sullivan or Gary Hurney.

You can see I'm picking horses for courses slightly. I'd be afraid that lads like Barron, Barry, O'Neill and O'Brien would be just swept aside physically up in Tullamore, particularly if a number of them ended up on the field at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I see Paddypower has installed Waterford as favorites @ 8/15.
    ( Offaly at 7/4 Draw at 10/1)

Bookies are rarely that far off the mark... Are they?

Up the Deise

(PS, PP says game is on TV Saturday- thought it wasn't ??)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

There is an injury crisis. More in Mullane's line to make himself available for selection.
    Many Waterford supporters are getting sick of the nonsense in the papers from Mullane

• Registered Users Posts: 37,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

culbaire wrote: »
    There is an injury crisis. More in Mullane's line to make himself available for selection.
    Many Waterford supporters are getting sick of the nonsense in the papers from Mullane
    In fairness Mullane knows the ins and outs of the camp and if a former player suggests things are bad than id take his word.

It would be a bit late for Mullane to just ring Ryan and say i decided to make myself available

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In fairness Mullane knows the ins and outs of the camp and if a former player suggests things are bad than id take his word.

It would be a bit late for Mullane to just ring Ryan and say i decided to make myself available
    Mullane in a not too subtle effort is trying to ramp up pressure on Michael Ryan. There is an injury crisis. He knows that damn well. He could have made himself available (even after the Clare game). Mullane is not God you know. Many supporters that I spoke to today were very angry over this article. And they are right!!
    Mullane retired(as he is entitled to). Forget about him. He is history. Leave him snipe away from the side lines. He is now undoing all the good he did as a great player and rapidly losing good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That's non-sensical hyperbole from Mullane in fairness. Hes gone all Eamon Dunphy on us there, being sesationalist for the sake of catching headlines. While no doubt a crucial game, it's a Round 1 qualifier, not an All Ireland Final we're taking about.

How Waterford fair this summer will not make or break them. Rather its how you fair in the next 2-3 years that will determine Waterford's long term fortunes in Munster and the All Ireland series. Can you successfully blend youth like Dillon and Shanahan with the experience of Moran and Prendergast? That will tell you where you are going a lot more than Saturday night in Tullamore.

I was sceptical when I saw he was going writing for the independant in the first place as hes not very insightful and now my suspicions have come to light as he has started airing his dirty laundry in public. I think too much notice is being taken of these articles and the only real winners are the independent themselves. Its not like he sits down and writes them basically someone from the independent rings him gets his opinion and pieces it together to make a story out of it. He had his chance to come clean when he retired from Waterford he did enough bloody interviews anyway but now you can see he has no mass in Michael Ryan whatsoever. Thats fair enough but the week before a championship match on a public broadsheet is neither the time nor the place. I know hes been saying things about the management to people on the streets in his day to day life aswell but for someone prides himself as a 'waterford man' he should lie low and give the players and management some space to get on with things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

to be honest, I don't see too much wrong with that article, he said f'all about ryan or any players, it is true, if we lose saturday it will be a massive set back and undo a lot of the good work that has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

to be honest, I don't see too much wrong with that article, he said f'all about ryan or any players, it is true, if we lose saturday it will be a massive set back and undo a lot of the good work that has been done.

He has been sniping and taken cheap digs at Ryan from day one, fair enough he doesn't like the guy but using he's column as a platform to have a go at him is below the belt and petty, Eamon O'Hara was lambasted for similar only a few weeks back.

He has been sniping and taken cheap digs at Ryan from day one, fair enough he doesn't like the guy but using he's column as a platform to have a go at him is below the belt and petty, Eamon O'Hara was lambasted for similar only a few weeks back.

what o hara said on live tv and what mullane is saying is completely different.

its fair to say mullane would still be hurling for Waterford if ryan wasn't there.

all in all ryan is a disaster and mullane is right, having a man like him there is only going to set Waterford hurling backwards. the sooner hes gone the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

what o hara said on live tv and what mullane is saying is completely different.

its fair to say mullane would still be hurling for Waterford if ryan wasn't there.

all in all ryan is a disaster and mullane is right, having a man like him there is only going to set Waterford hurling backwards. the sooner hes gone the better.

ManFromCheese in Ryan slating shocker :eek:

Mullane choose to walk away and has no business undermining the efforts of the man chosen to lead Waterford, not only that but he is insulting he's former team mates with all this childish carry on, great hurler he may have been but it would appear that class is something he lacks.

ManFromCheese in Ryan slating shocker :eek:

Mullane choose to walk away and has no business undermining the efforts of the man chosen to lead Waterford, not only that but he is insulting he's former team mates with all this childish carry on, great hurler he may have been but it would appear that class is something he lacks.

where are you from premierstone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Take a guess from his username?

Hint - he's not from the Stone county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Why would he make himself available, he's retired after all??
    Look to the future and the players that are there now rather than looking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Maybe Lay Lay Barry should line out while we're at it.

Im from Tipp, is that relevant to this discussion or are you chatting me up :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anyone have any prediction on the line out saturday? Tough to call really
    SOK/Iggy
    Shane Fives
    Liam Lawlor
    Noel Connors
    Jamie Nagle
    Brick
    Kevin Moran/Richie Foley
    Darragh Fives
    Kevin Moran/Eddie Barrett
    Shane O Sullivan
    Seamus Prendergast
    Paudie Mahony/Ray Barry
    Jake Dillon
    Maurice Shanahan
    Jamie Barron/Brian O Sullivan

Im from Tipp, is that relevant to this discussion or are you chatting me up :confused:

well I think you've enough problems in Tipperary and players (lar) speaking when they shouldn't be to be commenting on Waterford and john mullane!! as you said yourself, childish carry on and lacking in class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Fux sake mullane entitled to say what he believes.

He was on a hiding to nothing writing that article

Doubt some of ye would say as much if ye wherent hiding behind a boards alias

Waterford to win by 2 - 4 points on Sat. If they cant beat offaly thy are not at much... offaly a loada physical(fat) nothings with that numpty Jolly Baker overseeing them

well I think you've enough problems in Tipperary and players (lar) speaking when they shouldn't be to be commenting on Waterford and john mullane!! as you said yourself, childish carry on and lacking in class!!!

So only people from Waterford are qualified to comment on the subject??

dzilla wrote: »
    s

Waterford to win by 2 - 4 points on Sat. If they cant beat offaly thy are not at much... offaly a loada physical(fat) nothings with that numpty Jolly Baker overseeing them

great insight. duignan, loughnane and cyril farrell watch out

So only people from Waterford are qualified to comment on the subject??

no, but I wonder are you going onto the tipp page with the same level of criticism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭deisedude

no, but I wonder are you going onto the tipp page with the same level of criticism

You keep talking ****e, he is well entitled to call you out on it. Where he is from is irrelevant

deisedude wrote: »
    You keep talking ****e, he is well entitled to call you out on it. Where he is from is irrelevant

"call me out", what do you mean? I don't care where hes from either but I find it a bit rich somebody from Tipperary coming onto the Waterford page and criticising players and past players, would he be as quick to criticise hes own is what im asking?! seems that some of ye seem fine with this.

Maybe Lay Lay Barry should line out while we're at it.
    We all know what game Mullane is playing. He needs to grow up.

• Advertisement

No it wont be a massive set back. A new team has to be built. It will take 2/3 years. Mullane is trying to heap pressure on Michael Ryan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement