Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

glick6 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking team is supposed to be released tonight?

Is it not Friday night? Thought I read somewhere earlier in the year that since Ryan took over it's been Friday evening always. Don't ever remember us releasing a team on a Tuesday. Would be insanely early if they're waiting on the fitness of a few players.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Is it not Friday night? Thought I read somewhere earlier in the year that since Ryan took over it's been Friday evening always. Don't ever remember us releasing a team on a Tuesday. Would be insanely early if they're waiting on the fitness of a few players.

Jeez I dunno where I got that from so. I thought I had heard of some new directive from Croke park. I must have been dreaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    As regard to the forwards I still think that Michael needs to get a couple of the Fenor lads in there. They scored 4-13 against Butlerstown a few weeks back in the County League and I think only 3-10 of these came from frees. If they can manage 1-3 from play against Butlerstown they can surely manage the same against a poor Clare defence. That is the scores that we're missing from Mullane sorted straight away. Michael just needs to play two Dunhill/Fenorbahce lads instead of him. If they stand close together the ref won't notice the extra man and they probably get on well with one another so I think it's a good idea. The experience will stand them in good stead then in a bid to win the Junior Championship at the 79th time of asking.

Tom there's a better chance of your native Rathgormack winning the junior hurling championship than Fenor capturing it. But we all like a tryer nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

thoughts on the team? you were spot on mountain lad

Wfd SH team to line out V Clare on Sunday:
    1 Ian O Regan
    2 Darragh Fives
    3 Liam Lawlor
    4 Noel Connors
    5 Jamie Nagle
    6 Brick
    7 Paudie Prendergast
    8 Shane O Sullivan
    9 Kevin Moran
    10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Halloran
    13 Jamie Barron
    14 Pauric Mahoney
    15 Jake Dillon

If anyone hasn't seen it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    1 Ian O Regan
    2 Darragh Fives
    3 Liam Lawlor
    4 Noel Connors
    5 Jamie Nagle
    6 Brick
    7 Paudie Prendergast
    8 Shane O Sullivan
    9 Kevin Moran
    10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Halloran
    13 Jamie Barron
    14 Pauric Mahoney
    15 Jake Dillon

just hope iggys puck outs are good on Sunday. None of that old Cork style short puck outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

V early in the week for team announcement, no?

KevIRL wrote: »
    V early in the week for team announcement, no?
    yeah I was very surprised, maybe shane fives and shane walsh had no hope of making the game. Pretty straight forward selection then really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

i hope thats a dummy team as im worried, i suppose its the best we have pity shane walsh and fives are injured. maurice shanahan really needs to step upto the plate on sunday. am concerned over the wing backs and the forwards are very young, inside line all u21, clare are a young team too is the only thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

i hope thats a dummy team as im worried, i suppose its the best we have pity shane walsh and fives are injured. maurice shanahan really needs to step upto the plate on sunday. am concerned over the wing backs and the forwards are very young, inside line all u21, clare are a young team too is the only thing.

The half back line does look very shakey without Moran or fives in there but remember Moran can slip back if we're getting destroyed and I would assume that Tony has at least 20 minutes of hurling in him if needed.

• Advertisement

Fives will go midfield, moran to go wing back and prendergast will be corner back. My only concern is that davy will know to stick conor mcgrath on prendergast straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

This side are not going to beat clare, unfortunatly we don't have much better,Shane walsh when full fit is a loss, too many nice hurlers with question marks over whether they can really cut it at this level come championship, it would be a disaster to put young paudie pender corner back, he does not have natural corner back instincts, and it would be some waste bringing back d fives there as he has out grown that position, think this is not going to be pretty, as for iggy in goal ah jesus lads have we gone back to that now, he is not even the best keeper in his own club, he does not dominate the square, his puckouts are very suspect, does not like anyone coming in on top of him, and his decision making can be poor, say what you like about o keefe[deffo deserves to start],but he is a king compared to iggy, i would be hapier with youn barry from lismore in goal, think its Clare by at least 4/5 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Fives will go midfield, moran to go wing back and prendergast will be corner back. My only concern is that davy will know to stick conor mcgrath on prendergast straight away

Jeez I dunno I think Fives was picked there for a reason so he'll start there. Paidi Prendergast not a corner back, really low on options for corner back so Fives was the obvious choice to put back there.

I think its the best team we could come up with really. Has it been confirmed that that s.fives and walsh are out? I think you could see either of them being sprung from the bench if not anyway.

Only one who could feel hard done by is ray barry considering recent form but its really much and muchness with the corner forwards that are starting

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

The team will line out as follows

Iggy

Connors, Lawlor, P Pender,

Nagle, Brick, Moran,

Sully, Fives,

Mahony, Seamus, O'Halloran,

Dillon, Shan, Barron.

Was at Walsh Park last night, this is the way that they will line out, Connors to pick up Conor McGrath from the start also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Most Waterford supporters fear what could happen in Killarney on Saturday night. However, Waterford manager Niall Carew must feel Waterford can pull off the win. On the County Board's Facebook and Twitter pages, he has named just fourteen players. He is so confident that Waterford will win he is asking Maurice O'Gorman to play in two places. Well done Niall. I love your confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Black Suir wrote: »
    Most Waterford supporters fear what could happen in Killarney on Saturday night. However, Waterford manager Niall Carew must feel Waterford can pull off the win. On the County Board's Facebook and Twitter pages, he has named just fourteen players. He is so confident that Waterford will win he is asking Maurice O'Gorman to play in two places. Well done Niall. I love your confidence.

Tom Kelly might have to revise his prediction for a 17-point winning margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

1 Ian O Regan
    2 Darragh Fives
    3 Liam Lawlor
    4 Noel Connors
    5 Jamie Nagle
    6 Brick
    7 Paudie Prendergast
    8 Shane O Sullivan
    9 Kevin Moran
    10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Halloran
    13 Jamie Barron
    14 Pauric Mahoney
    15 Jake Dillon

There are 15 decent hurlers there but I think the bookies have this one right. You can only be confident that Connors, Brick and Moran will get break even or better. There are lots of nice hurlers that you wouldn't mind seeing beside Ken McGrath or Mullane or Flynn or Dan at their best but you would fear for them in this lineup.

Davy Fitz will have have Clare flying out of the blocks and I think our only chance is if we can somehow match them in the early exchanges and put some doubts in their heads. Clare must be feeling a bit of pressure, they have been expected to deliver with this team for at least two years and Waterford, going further backwards without Mullane, would have been their ideal opponents. In the league John Conlon hit some ridiculous wides. If that is his form rather than a brainfart on the day there is always the chance that doubt can spread through the Clare team, but in McGrath and Kelly, Clare have match winners that unfortunately I just can't see in the current Waterford lineup.

Hopefully, Sunday is the day Dillon or O'Halleron step up to the next level and fulfill the promise they showed underage but it is a huge ask especially consdering the rawness of the team around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

1 Ian O Regan
    2 Darragh Fives
    3 Liam Lawlor
    4 Noel Connors
    5 Jamie Nagle
    6 Brick
    7 Paudie Prendergast
    8 Shane O Sullivan
    9 Kevin Moran
    10 Maurice Shanahan
    11 Seamus Prendergast
    12 Brian O Halloran
    13 Jamie Barron
    14 Pauric Mahoney
    15 Jake Dillon

Hoping it all goes well but would have concerns that too many players have serious questions to answer on Sunday. Keeper, Corner back, both wing backs, wing forward and both corner forwards will be under spotlight. You know what you will get from the rest of the lads but asking 7 to step up to the mark on one day I think is a few too many but I wish all of them the best and hope they do it. A win would bring huge confidence and momentum to the team. On another point have subs been named yet? Just interested to see what the options are if there are injuries, players off form etc..

PaddyPower really dont rate our chances anyway, their money back special offer on our game Sunday is, money back on all losing 1st/last, anytime and 1st team goalscorer bet if Waterford win the match

Usually their GAA money back specials are something like 'If a number 14 scores the first goal' or similar to that. Rare for it to kick in based on one team losing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Can anyone who was at the recent challenge matches shed any light on why they think Iggy has got the nod? Compared to SOK i feel that we are at an immediate disadvantage with his high puck outs into a half forward line which has struggled to win ball for the last 2-3 years.

As for the remainder of the team, circumstances have conspired against us to an extent and we are now facing a situation where there is immediate pressure on a number of inexperienced young players to perform. It really is a sink or swim exercise and will tell us a lot about the character of these guys. I don't think there is any disputing the talent within the side but there is a big gap between talent and championship standard and it might be asking a bit too much for that gap to be successfully bridged in Sunday. I think Clare are deservedly favourites but if the likes of O'Halloran, Mahony and Dillon can stand tall in addition to us getting the usual excellent shifts we expect from Brick, Moran, Connors and Seamus then we can certainly come away with a win. I was very impressed with the spirit the team showed throughout the league and I expect us to carry that through to Sunday.

As far as positions go, I can't see the full forwards lining out as named. I would imagine either Seamus or Maurice will be pushed on with either Mahony or Dillon dropping back a line. As it stands on paper that full forward line must be one of the youngest in Championship history?

Obviously we would all prefer to see Darragh in midfield but given recent injuries I think he is the obvious choice in the corner. I think playing young Paudie in the corner on his Championship debut would be a huge risk and there is sense in his position at wing back where he should be able to draw confidence from having the Brick alongside him. I expect Jamie to hold his own and carry his excellent league form through to Sunday.

Can't wait for the game, hope this glorious weather holds up for Thurles, Deise Abu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

I feel sick already. Really think its an awful ask to bit an improving Clare team with the injuries we have got. I hope i'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

doz wrote: »
    Can't wait for the game, hope this glorious weather holds up for Thurles, Deise Abu!

After that catalogue of woe, you come out with this! We truly are gluttons for punishment :o

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

This side are not going to beat clare, unfortunatly we don't have much better,Shane walsh when full fit is a loss, too many nice hurlers with question marks over whether they can really cut it at this level come championship, it would be a disaster to put young paudie pender corner back, he does not have natural corner back instincts, and it would be some waste bringing back d fives there as he has out grown that position, think this is not going to be pretty, as for iggy in goal ah jesus lads have we gone back to that now, he is not even the best keeper in his own club, he does not dominate the square, his puckouts are very suspect, does not like anyone coming in on top of him, and his decision making can be poor, say what you like about o keefe[deffo deserves to start],but he is a king compared to iggy, i would be hapier with youn barry from lismore in goal, think its Clare by at least 4/5 points.

Would you mind elaborating on this a little ??

Also taken into consideration that he gave a Man of the match performance against Abbeyside, and kept a clean sheet against Ballygunner.

I think the goalkeeping position is the least of our worries, not much ball winning in that forward line, backs will be under serious pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Would you mind elaborating on this a little ??

Also taken into consideration that he gave a Man of the match performance against Abbeyside, and kept a clean sheet against Ballygunner.

I think the goalkeeping position is the least of our worries, not much ball winning in that forward line, backs will be under serious pressure.

Being honest I wouldn't doubt Iggy's ability to be safe around the house, and he's a good shot stopper (dunno is he quite as good as SOK but not far off).

But as has been highlighted on the Clare thread, the Waterford half forward line v Clare half back line is going to be a crucial battle in this game. At the moment I think we've a better half back line than they have half forward line, and I would think our midfield partnership (assuming Fives is there) is well able to get on top too.

But ultimately, it's generally your full forward line that gets the scores that win you a game. Shane Fives is a big loss, but our full back line backed up by our half back line can still come out on top, but not if they are under constant pressure from our own puckouts coming straight back down on top of us. Iggy can hit his puckout long, but in terms of getting them low and hard (the trajectory) that gives a forward line the edge over the backs, I don't think he can compete with O'Keeffe in that respect. I reckon Galway was the only game where Seamus Prender didn't make a clean catch at Centre forward (he did second half when in full). Galway crowded him and just made sure he didn't by batting it down, and they won most of the breaks. Going by Henno's post (on the Clare page, well worth reading), Clare dropped Colm Galvin deep to sweep the breaks as Cork were hitting a lot of ball down on Pa Cronin and that change turned the game in Clare's favour. I could see the same happening here. Hope it doesn't of course.

There's been a lot of criticism of SOK's short puckouts against Kilkenny, and to be honest I actually don't agree with a lot of it. He made one mistake in hitting one to Daniels when it probably wasn't on, but at the same time Daniels was asleep and so not blameless in that regard. Most of the scores we yielded came from long range efforts with the wind. We've big hitters in Nagle, Moran, Sully and now Darragh Fives as well, so it's something we should use to our advantage. Will Iggy be able to find thos lads short, the midfielders if they drop and look for them? I think SOK is better at this and so we're already at a disadvantage in that sense by not playing him. That's the way I see it now but time will tell whether that proves to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

There is this big fear of Clare that I see here that I've never seen before. Its not like were up against the team of 1998. Fair enough they are a team on the up but are effectively a team of rookies a lot like ourselves with it all to prove, but we still have plenty experience and leadership, lads like Moran, Brick, O'Sullivan & Prendergast, an area in which Clare are completely lacking.
    People point to their recent underage success but Ive had a look at the Munster minor championship since 2009 weve played them 7 times, beaten them on 5 occasions and theve only beaten us twice (granted both Munster Finals) so I dont see how they can be so far ahead on that department either.
    We beat them in the league up in Ennis remember and people had us written off there aswell and we were actually good value for our win. I can understand certain amount of apprehension but I dont think we are near as bad as people here are saying we are nor are Clare as good. this talk of a hammering is way off the mark.

50/50 game. Waterford Clare games always are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Is the game on tv sunday?

celt262 wrote: »
    Is the game on tv sunday?

RTE2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Travel anywhere in Ireland by bus or coach with Bus Éireann
    Everywhere except Thurles. ****.

I could get a bus from Waterford City to Tipperary Town (a 1 hour, 45 minute journey ffs), would then have to get a rural bus from there to Thurles.

Any ideas how I can get to the game?

I could get a bus from Waterford City to Tipperary Town (a 1 hour, 45 minute journey ffs), would then have to get a rural bus from there to Thurles.

Ring around some of the local GAA clubs and see if they have spaces left on buses going would be yer best bet. Also contact pubs like The Showboat to see if they have a bus going

• Advertisement

tell Michael Ryan that you're a fine corner back, he'll bring you up for free!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement