Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    It was as if Donal Og was already looking at Clare ahead of the Cork game.

And that's the second time in 3 weeks he's been on RTE in a championship preview doing the same. Seriously, I hope this agitates the players as it does me because they'll be easy motivated if so.
    alllcounty wrote: »
    Probably won't find out until we buy the match programme. Clare intermediates played limerick intermediates in a challenge recently with about 70% of their team U21 for this year and they had a big win.

It was released on the Friday I think last year, given the improvement in Waterford GAA communications in the past year or two i expect the same this year.

Players like Killian Fitzgerald, Mark Wyse, Shane Kearney, Donie Breathnach, Cormac Heffernan, Eamon Murphy, Colin Walsh, John Prendergast, Shane McNulty will all likely be in the frame. Eddie Lynch of Passage will be the Goalkeeper.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Best of luck to the minor hurlers this Wednesday evening against Cork. Hope they can fulfil the promise they have and come away with a win. It would be an awful shame if they lose as it would be the last we will see of them this year. I believe there is an awful lot of potential in this team after the Croke Cup win. Surprisingly there is very little talk about this match.

It's not on until the 26th of June, leaving cert break at the minute. There'll be plenty of talk when the time comes I'm sure :P

The u21 championship starts this Friday though as Limerick meet Tipperary in Thurles. Month and a half before Waterford play Clare (in Waterford) in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

It's not on until the 26th of June, leaving cert break at the minute. There'll be plenty of talk when the time comes I'm sure :P

The u21 championship starts this Friday though as Limerick meet Tipperary in Thurles. Month and a half before Waterford play Clare (in Waterford) in that.

Well that was stupid of me I got the months mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford are a best priced 15/8 (Will Hill) for Sunday's game, thats a pretty fantastic price in my opinion and will be snapping it up

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford are a best priced 15/8 (Will Hill) for Sunday's game, thats a pretty fantastic price in my opinion and will be snapping it up

Would you think they might drift a bit more?

I mean it depends on what team is announced, but certainly if Shane Fives and Shane Walsh are not starting and that is seen on paper I could see a lot of bets on Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I mean it depends on what team is announced, but certainly if Shane Fives and Shane Walsh are not starting and that is seen on paper I could see a lot of bets on Clare.

Dont think so. Walsh has been kind of struggling all the year really in terms of fitness and form, while Shane Fives is still only a rookie as far as the championship is concerned so whoever replaces him wont be seen as being too much weaker in their eyes.

It seems to me that their mind is made up that they dont fancy us since Mullane iwent & maybe Molumphy to a lesser extent and it wont matter too much what team is announced really

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Strange that as you predicted Clare to win the Munster Championship on another thread and now your backing Waterford in the Qtr. final

Cant see it drifting at all from 15/8, given that WH are the biggest price and Waterford are as short as 6/4 (Stan James, Lads) while the most common price on Waterford is 13/8 (PP, Boyles,Coral, Bet Victor) most likely the 15/8 wont last long.
    Funfair wrote: »
    Strange that as you predicted Clare to win the Munster Championship on another thread and now your backing Waterford in the Qtr. final

Waterford at 15/8 are a cracking bet, especially compared to the prices with other firms. Thats not to say they definitely will win, but its a great price. I think I predicted Clare in the pools thread? Looking for a bit of differential there to be honest. Although I did back Clare at 8/1 for Munster earlier in the year, a good price and they could potentially win it, if they build up some momentum by beating Waterford and Cork they will be a serious threat to (most likely) Tipp in the final.

Looking ahead to the weekends game, for a while now I've though Clare would take all the beating, the amount of wides they hit in some league games - v KK where they only lost by a point and in the play off v Cork which they won is scary if they click and convert even half those chances. Waterford's lack of scoring prowess in the league was also scary, but recent challenge games - not worth a lot, but all we have, they have been very encouraging, I reckon the game is too close to call and could easily go one way or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i would love to see shane kearny ( of dungarvan) get a run. the man is a class hurler and his reading of the game is second to none.. i think his fitness might be holding him back

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

i would love to see shane kearny ( of dungarvan) get a run. the man is a class hurler and his reading of the game is second to none.. i think his fitness might be holding him back

Why would it be his fitness holding him back? He has been training with the rest of the panel for 7 months injury free. If fitness is an issue now for him he has no place on an inter county panel. Unless you mean maybe strength and power because they can take a year or two of decent conditioning to get to a level that's acceptable. It's more likely down to lack of any real inter county experience. He's only been playing in challenges and the less competitive ones at that. This year will hopefully bring him on a lot. I really hope he sticks with it and gives it his all. I think he has a lot to offer.

• Advertisement

He definitely won't be playing for the Seniors. But I think he might make the 26, which I think would mean he wouldn't play for the Intermediates. Not full sure how it works to be honest. Actually dunno did Paudie Prender make the 26, but he was in the extended panel against Clare last year and didn't play for the Intermediates (unless I am mistaken).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Aidan Kearney was harshly dropped imo, could really do with him sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I have to say gentlemen i think yere comments about Donal Og are a bit over the top.It was only a 10 minute segment for crying out loud!Anyway this is a 50/50 game that Waterford are well capable of winning.And sure the winner will be through to the munster final.Of course Waterford or Clare will have to play Cork but i don't think Cork would beat any of those teams because John Mullane said Cork are going nowhere.:pac:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I have to say gentlemen i think yere comments about Donal Og are a bit over the top.It was only a 10 minute segment for crying out loud!Anyway this is a 50/50 game that Waterford are well capable of winning.And sure the winner will be through to the munster final.Of course Waterford or Clare will have to play Cork but i don't think Cork would beat any of those teams because John Mullane said Cork are going nowhere.:pac:

What's over the top about the comments? Don't see anything really wrong with wanting to see some sort of analysis from people who are being well paid to preview a match on how are team might fare. Instead what we got was a snippet about how Brick Walsh reads the game well. Sure where would we be without this insight?

Des Cahill addressed Donal Og and said "Well Donal, you've been looking at Waterford" and the contrasting styles between the two managers. And yet, he didn't so much as mention Waterford by name in his piece about Clare dropping players deep inhibiting them scoring goals. Maybe that's the producers fault, I don't really know the framework for these shows but it was terrible.

Not asking that they come on and say how brilliant Waterford are, just want some opinions on where they see us being at the moment. It's a bad reflection on the research and attention they have paid to our games so far that they couldn;t even offer that.

What's over the top about the comments? Don't see anything really wrong with wanting to see some sort of analysis from people who are being well paid to preview a match on how are team might fare. Instead what we got was a snippet about how Brick Walsh reads the game well. Sure where would we be without this insight?

Des Cahill addressed Donal Og and said "Well Donal, you've been looking at Waterford" and the contrasting styles between the two managers. And yet, he didn't so much as mention Waterford by name in his piece about Clare dropping players deep inhibiting them scoring goals. Maybe that's the producers fault, I don't really know the framework for these shows but it was terrible.

Not asking that they come on and say how brilliant Waterford are, just want some opinions on where they see us being at the moment. It's a bad reflection on the research and attention they have paid to our games so far that they couldn;t even offer that.

I agree there but rte's analysis of both hurling and football is terrible in general.To be honest i thought the three lad's worked very well together last night.All three have an understanding of modern day intercounty hurling.

I agree there but rte's analysis of both hurling and football is terrible in general.To be honest i thought the three lad's worked very well together last night.All three have an understanding of modern day intercounty hurling.

Maybe they'll be better when they've more time. I'd have any of them ahead of Cyrill Farrell and Tomás Mulcahy anyway.

i disagree thought sunday nights analysis was a load of rubbish. What eddie brennan is still doing there is beyond me, all he does is bluff and repeat what the other lads say in nervous little ramblings and obviously hasn't much research done. while Liam Sheedy hasnt really much to say for himself either and has shown that being an AI winning manager dosent necessarily make you a good hurling analyst. I think Donal Og was actually the best of the 3, hes new to it so will take time to grow in confidence.

anyway now that no one has slagged off donal og you might lose interest and we can get back to the correct topics on this board

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

robopaddy wrote: »
    anyway now that no one has slagged off donal og you might lose interest and we can get back to the correct topics on this board

Do you want salt with that chip on your shoulder?? And to be fair to Straight Talker he wasn't the one that brought up Donal Og that was your fellow Waterford posters so its a little unfair to accuse him of taking the thread off topic.

A preview of the Munster Hurling Championship I put together for livegaelic.com

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/munster-senior-hurling-championship-state-of-play/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

A preview of the Munster Hurling Championship I put together for livegaelic.com

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/munster-senior-hurling-championship-state-of-play/

My cliché detector has gone into overdrive ;)

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    My cliché detector has gone into overdrive ;)

haha I wont pretend its cliché free zone anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

haha I wont pretend its cliché free zone anyway!

When it comes to writing an article, it all depends on the ball hopping right for ye on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

From a Clare perspective Seadna Morey is a doubt for Sunday.
    He played club championship last Sat week with a strapped elbow.

If he doesn't make it, Cian Dillon might come in, but he's not long back so that could be a risk after being out for the entire.
    Another option would be Paul Flanagan, but again he hasn't seen any league action.
    Honan also went off in club action but there doesn't appear to be the same worry surrounding his fitness.

deiseach wrote: »
    When it comes to writing an article, it all depends on the ball hopping right for ye on the day.

definetly. whatever way the cookie crumbles

Do you want salt with that chip on your shoulder?? And to be fair to Straight Talker he wasn't the one that brought up Donal Og that was your fellow Waterford posters so its a little unfair to accuse him of taking the thread off topic.

ah tis always trouble with that lad. If hes not winding someone up hes busy getting wound up himself by taking offence to something someone has said about the rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Our senoir footballers also kick off there Championship season this weekend playing the mighty Kerry in Killarney in the semi final of the munster championship on Saturday 1st June.

If they lose they will go into Round 2 of the qulifers on Saturday 6th July.

The footballers could be still in the championship when our senoir hurlers could be out of theirs (if Waterford are invovled in the early rounds of the Hurling championship)

The Hurling Prem Rounds and 1st Rounds take place on the Saturday 22/29 June.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

It's that time of year again when the Super Valu Values You All-Ireland Senior Football and the Etihad Stadium All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championships get underway in earnest. As I've always said, Championship doesn't start until Martin Heffernan from Faha texts me asking if Gary Hurney is suspended or not. Martin is back from his holidays in Westport today and was delighted to hear that Gary is available. I for one am excited about the months ahead.

There has been a lot of action in the last few months. I sold the Datsun to the travellers for E250 and I bought a lovely 1984 Toyota Carina from a young lad at the Hot Rod racing in The Pike. He said that it had 14 previous lady owners. There is a heap of metal bars in the back seat but he says he never used it for Hot Rodding so it certainly seems like a good deal. It only cost me E400 - a euro for every thousand miles on the clock. It hums away nicely though so it will be under my arse on the road to Killarney on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the drive down. Traffic should be grand apart from the usual bottlenecks in Lemybrien, Cappoquin, Lismore, Tallow Bridge, Fermoy, Castletownroche, Mallow and Shinagh Cross but once I get out past Rathmore it should be smooth sailing into Killarney, the home of one of my favourite singers, Joe Dolan. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours. I'll have the greatest hits of Joe playing to psyche me up for the game. Timeless classics like 'My Nuts are Gone Septic', 'Unrequited 20 Benson Love', 'Is this the Way to A&E Cos I've a Broken Heart?' and who could forget 'Mama, Fetch The Bucket, I Think My Pants Are Soiled.'.

Anyway, to matters at hand. I think the football will be closer than people are expecting. There is no doubt that Kerry have a very good team but there it's true to say that they are aging. With Mikey Sheehy and Charlie Nelligan retired there goes their potency in front of goal. The Bomber Liston has emigrated to Australia to work in the mines and Pat Spillane is still out doing regional work on the farms in Western Australia looking for a second year visa. I'd expect Vinny Murphy to give Niall Geary a hard time but I think that will have the Waterford forwards will have the freedom of Larry Fitzgerald Stadium. The great thing is that with the hurling not until Sunday we can get the greatest manager of all time, Michael Ryan, to manage the footballers too. I know that Kolo Toure has joined up with the squad and was training with them last week. He is staying with Matt Keane for the moment and Matt is driving him up and down to Dungarvan for training on the back of the scooter. Hopefully he will get the nod in full back and he will contain Mike Frank Russell. That's how you beat the Kingdom. That U-21 team from 2003 is really coming through now so I expect nothing short of a 17 point win for the Deise. I have my blue and white t-shirt printed with "It will be all Whyte on the Night" and I will be wearing that one for the whole week in anticipation.

I booked a hotel room in Mitchelstown on Saturday night so I'll be going back there after the game. I have tickets to Big Tom and The Mainliners on Saturday night which should be good. I havn't seen them live in concert in a long time. Must be at least 6 weeks since I went to watch them in The Rhu Glenn. Definitely one of my favourite bands, I always said if you could get them on a stage with Black Sabbath and Jason Mraz you'd have some gig. Maybe we can get them all in the Fraher Field next year?

The hurling on Sunday should be a lot closer than the football the night before. It will be a tougher year what with Stephen Molumphy gone off to America on the J1 and John Mullane being suspended. Luckily Tom Cunningham is back after 26 years out after a hip operation and that should shore up the full back line. He's after putting on a few pounds but I think that himself, Lawlor and Connors are as strong a full-back line you will find. For Molumphy, expect Gary Gator to slot straight in there. Fantastic in 1992, age seems to be but a number for this lad. If we can get Paddy Joe Ryan playing as a sweeper I think we can nullify the threat of Jamesie O'Connor who always seems to find the ball in tight situations. As regard to the forwards I still think that Michael needs to get a couple of the Fenor lads in there. They scored 4-13 against Butlerstown a few weeks back in the County League and I think only 3-10 of these came from frees. If they can manage 1-3 from play against Butlerstown they can surely manage the same against a poor Clare defence. That is the scores that we're missing from Mullane sorted straight away. Michael just needs to play two Dunhill/Fenorbahce lads instead of him. If they stand close together the ref won't notice the extra man and they probably get on well with one another so I think it's a good idea. The experience will stand them in good stead then in a bid to win the Junior Championship at the 79th time of asking. Tony Browne is aiming to become the oldest man to ever play sports ever in the world with the exception of the late great Patrick 'Bunty' Whaylen who played in goals for Clonea until the ripe old age of 92. He was never the same after that cataract operation when he was 76 but he always togged out and never missed training,mainly because at the time Clonea had no pitch and they trained on Buntys vegetable patch. Indeed,the phrase 'If you can welt a turnip,you can welt an ankle.' was coined at training there one night. Waterford tend to be very good at sidelines so if we get 37 sidelines,we're in a good position to win the game. Also, the Clare lads have very poor numeracy skills whereas 14 of the Waterford team are chartered accountants so we'll definitely have the upper nut on that score. I would be surprised if Waterford don't get at least a win, maybe a loss or best case scenario, a draw no bet.

All in all I think it will be a tight game but Waterford will win by at least 11 points. So overall, footballers by 17 and hurlers by 11 for a combined victory of 4 goals, or if you are measure it in snooker scores, 3 frames.

Deise Abu.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Greatest post ever. Summer is indeed here.

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    It's that time of year again when the Super Valu Values You All-Ireland Senior Football and the Etihad Stadium All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championships get underway in earnest. As I've always said, Championship doesn't start until Martin Heffernan from Faha texts me asking if Gary Hurney is suspended or not. Martin is back from his holidays in Westport today and was delighted to hear that Gary is available. I for one am excited about the months ahead.

There has been a lot of action in the last few months. I sold the Datsun to the travellers for E250 and I bought a lovely 1984 Toyota Carina from a young lad at the Hot Rod racing in The Pike. He said that it had 14 previous lady owners. There is a heap of metal bars in the back seat but he says he never used it for Hot Rodding so it certainly seems like a good deal. It only cost me E400 - a euro for every thousand miles on the clock. It hums away nicely though so it will be under my arse on the road to Killarney on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the drive down. Traffic should be grand apart from the usual bottlenecks in Lemybrien, Cappoquin, Lismore, Tallow Bridge, Fermoy, Castletownroche, Mallow and Shinagh Cross but once I get out past Rathmore it should be smooth sailing into Killarney, the home of one of my favourite singers, Joe Dolan. Shouldn't take more than 4 hours. I'll have the greatest hits of Joe playing to psyche me up for the game. Timeless classics like 'My Nuts are Gone Septic', 'Unrequited 20 Benson Love', 'Is this the Way to A&E Cos I've a Broken Heart?' and who could forget 'Mama, Fetch The Bucket, I Think My Pants Are Soiled.'.

Anyway, to matters at hand. I think the football will be closer than people are expecting. There is no doubt that Kerry have a very good team but there it's true to say that they are aging. With Mikey Sheehy and Charlie Nelligan retired there goes their potency in front of goal. The Bomber Liston has emigrated to Australia to work in the mines and Pat Spillane is still out doing regional work on the farms in Western Australia looking for a second year visa. I'd expect Vinny Murphy to give Niall Geary a hard time but I think that will have the Waterford forwards will have the freedom of Larry Fitzgerald Stadium. The great thing is that with the hurling not until Sunday we can get the greatest manager of all time, Michael Ryan, to manage the footballers too. I know that Kolo Toure has joined up with the squad and was training with them last week. He is staying with Matt Keane for the moment and Matt is driving him up and down to Dungarvan for training on the back of the scooter. Hopefully he will get the nod in full back and he will contain Mike Frank Russell. That's how you beat the Kingdom. That U-21 team from 2003 is really coming through now so I expect nothing short of a 17 point win for the Deise. I have my blue and white t-shirt printed with "It will be all Whyte on the Night" and I will be wearing that one for the whole week in anticipation.

I booked a hotel room in Mitchelstown on Saturday night so I'll be going back there after the game. I have tickets to Big Tom and The Mainliners on Saturday night which should be good. I havn't seen them live in concert in a long time. Must be at least 6 weeks since I went to watch them in The Rhu Glenn. Definitely one of my favourite bands, I always said if you could get them on a stage with Black Sabbath and Jason Mraz you'd have some gig. Maybe we can get them all in the Fraher Field next year?

The hurling on Sunday should be a lot closer than the football the night before. It will be a tougher year what with Stephen Molumphy gone off to America on the J1 and John Mullane being suspended. Luckily Tom Cunningham is back after 26 years out after a hip operation and that should shore up the full back line. He's after putting on a few pounds but I think that himself, Lawlor and Connors are as strong a full-back line you will find. For Molumphy, expect Gary Gator to slot straight in there. Fantastic in 1992, age seems to be but a number for this lad. If we can get Paddy Joe Ryan playing as a sweeper I think we can nullify the threat of Jamesie O'Connor who always seems to find the ball in tight situations. As regard to the forwards I still think that Michael needs to get a couple of the Fenor lads in there. They scored 4-13 against Butlerstown a few weeks back in the County League and I think only 3-10 of these came from frees. If they can manage 1-3 from play against Butlerstown they can surely manage the same against a poor Clare defence. That is the scores that we're missing from Mullane sorted straight away. Michael just needs to play two Dunhill/Fenorbahce lads instead of him. If they stand close together the ref won't notice the extra man and they probably get on well with one another so I think it's a good idea. The experience will stand them in good stead then in a bid to win the Junior Championship at the 79th time of asking. Tony Browne is aiming to become the oldest man to ever play sports ever in the world with the exception of the late great Patrick 'Bunty' Whaylen who played in goals for Clonea until the ripe old age of 92. He was never the same after that cataract operation when he was 76 but he always togged out and never missed training,mainly because at the time Clonea had no pitch and they trained on Buntys vegetable patch. Indeed,the phrase 'If you can welt a turnip,you can welt an ankle.' was coined at training there one night. Waterford tend to be very good at sidelines so if we get 37 sidelines,we're in a good position to win the game. Also, the Clare lads have very poor numeracy skills whereas 14 of the Waterford team are chartered accountants so we'll definitely have the upper nut on that score. I would be surprised if Waterford don't get at least a win, maybe a loss or best case scenario, a draw no bet.

All in all I think it will be a tight game but Waterford will win by at least 11 points. So overall, footballers by 17 and hurlers by 11 for a combined victory of 4 goals, or if you are measure it in snooker scores, 3 frames.

Deise Abu.

Tom

Great post Lad!@ Paddy if Donal Og writes a a huge anti Waterford article in the papers this week then i will concede that he might have an anti Waterford agenda not that ye'd mind if it helps to drive the team on!For now Paddy the jury is out for me on that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Am I right in thinking team is supposed to be released tonight?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement