Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

deisedude wrote: »
    Brick is always looking for the short pass to someone in a better position. He doesn't really do many long passes. I think he is the best centre back out there. You could really only make an argument of Hogan being on par/better

Hogans delivery into the forwards is excellent alright but like I say KK have no shortage of ball winning forwards so he can lay it off first time and let the ball do the work. Brick has to us his sense of awareness and always has to make sure he takes the right option otherwise the ball is coming straight back in his direction. I think Hogan gets a lot more protection from those around him so dosent have the same questions asked of him that Brick does time and time again. Thats why Brick is better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

This two are essential to the Clare forward line. And in fairness they'd make most teams in the Country. McGrath would make any team, asnd while the jury is still out on Honan if he can translate the u21 form to Senior level then he will be a top hurler.

I thought Morey and O'Donovan where two of yer best backs in February. Morey got two points and we couldn't live with his pace when he ran from the backline. O'Donovan also fast and very strong, although I'm not sure is he a pure hurler. Reminds me of Noel Connors in a lot of ways, though maybe not as tidy a hurler. Either would certainly be a blow to lose for Clare.

O Donovan was only converted to corner back when he stepped up to senior, played wing back on the U21 team that won the All Ireland in 09. He's probably our most consistent defender and was hugely important in the league considering the other 2 in the FB line are still U21 this year.

Morey was kind of shoe horned into corner back. The general consensus was that Pat O Connor wouldn't hold the no. 7 jersey and that would be Morey's. O Connor had a very solid league though. Morey is at times wasted in the corner, not a natural corner back by any means. He would be at his best at wing back imo

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any team news v Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

O' keeffe
    coughlan s fives connors
    nagle p prender moran
    d fives twomey
    o halloran s prender mahony
    barry dillon barron

Waterford 2-30 Limerick 3-24. FT result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Well give or take 1/2 pts scorers were:
    Pauric Mahony 0-11 (6 frees,2 65s)
    Ray Barry 1-3
    Martin O Neill 1-1
    Jake Dillon 0-3
    Seamus,Dara Fives,Gavin O Brien,Brian O Halloran 0-2
    Jamie Barron,Tony Browne (free),Iggy(pen),Dean Twomey 0-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Another big score from Ray Barry. In fairness, the management have a tough task picking the forwards for next weekend. Didn't think he'd be a starter myself but with two big totals like that in consecutive games he's certainly up in the pecking order.

I heard Shane Walsh is doubtful for next weekend, not fully sure what is the story there.

Another big score from Ray Barry. In fairness, the management have a tough task picking the forwards for next weekend. Didn't think he'd be a starter myself but with two big totals like that in consecutive games he's certainly up in the pecking order.

I heard Shane Walsh is doubtful for next weekend, not fully sure what is the story there.

Didnt see any of the recent challenge games maybe someone who has can shed more light but from what it looks like its going to be hard to overlook ray barry next week. (Told you he was a corner forward manfromcheese:D)

It seems tonight that theyve given gametime to fellahs that would be fighting for their place rather than picking the best team. Be very interesting to see who starts now

Doubts over Shane Fives, pulled up yesterday apparently.

Doubts over Shane Fives, pulled up yesterday apparently.
    Aw no way? Last thing we needed with daniels already out. Was coughlan any good yest? Could be starting unless they bring darragh fives into the full back line

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Aw no way? Last thing we needed with daniels already out. Was coughlan any good yest? Could be starting unless they bring darragh fives into the full back line

Paudie Prender is the most likely to fill in to be honest. It would be a big blow, hopefully it was only precautionary. After all the trouble Darragh had, would have been great for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 2-30 Limerick 3-24

The high scoring totals tell us a lot about this rather loose challenge game played at the very impressive Mallow GAA complex last evening. At the same time, the Waterford players gave an exhibition of point scoring, with no less than eleven different players raising white flags during the course of the game.

Probably the most significant outcome of the game was a leg injury shipped by Shane Fives midway through the first half which I am told rules him out for the Clare game and leaves us in a bit of a bind for one of the corner back positions. Hopefully the selectors will not resort to the easy option of moving Darragh Fives back, as once again he was terrific in midfield with his ability to hoover up ball and deliver it very tellingly to the forwards (apart from notching two points himself).

Waterford didn’t use Liam Lawlor, Brick Walsh, Shane O’Sullivan, Maurice Shanahan or Shane Walsh in this game, while Shane Fives, Jamie Nagle, Seamus Prendergast and Jamie Barron were all substituted at some stage. Limerick appeared to use most of their first team players during the course of the game.

Shane Fives started at full back, but with the Limerick full forwards moving around a lot and being followed by their markers, he spent a lot of the time away from the full back position and in fact was in the right half back position when he shipped his injury. Barry Coughlan started in the right corner with Paudie Prendergast at centre back, Dean Twomey in midfield, Brian O’Halloran at right half forward, Ray Barry in the right corner and Jake Dillon at the edge of the square.

It was a lovely evening for hurling although the pitch was a bit bumpy. Waterford started as though they were going to run away with the game, and were 1-11 to 0-6 ahead after just 15 minutes, the goal coming from a Ray Barry bullet having been set up by Brian O’Halloran, who started really impressively. In fact, Waterford seemed to have a policy of looking for goals when they got good possession in front of the posts, although it didn’t always work out.

Limerick then raised their game noticeably, and an unanswered 2-2 got them back on level terms after 25 minutes. At this stage Waterford were finding it very hard to win possession against the bigger and stronger Limerick defenders, and they were not helped by a lot of high ball being sent out of the Waterford defence, much of it straight down the middle.
    However, they did manage to steady the ship and outscored Limerick by four points to three to go in at half time one point ahead, 1-15 to 2-11.

Limerick dominated the third quarter, and were it not for a couple of excellent saves by Iggy O’Regan, Waterford would have been in serious trouble. They did manage a rather fortuitous goal which appeared to put them in the driving seat, but to give Waterford their due they came back into the game again, and a well-taken goal by Martin O’Neill, set up by Ray Barry, allowed them regain the initiative and some excellent point scoring saw them finish up three points to the good.

Stephen O’Keeffe started in goal with Iggy O’Regan replacing him at half time, and while the latter did produce those good saves and distributed the ball well (and also contributed a point from a free), I remain concerned by his lack of physicality when under pressure. Barry Coughlan used the ball well when he got possession, but was put under a lot of pressure by Graeme Mulcahy, one of Limerick’s top forwards. Shane Fines was replaced by Mark Wyse who did okay, but the star of the show in the full back line was Noel Connors, who was excellent right through.

Paudie Prendergast is a lovely hurler, but lacks physical strength and his inability to drive out with the ball meant that a lot of his clearances were high balls delivered off the back foot which were of little use to the forwards. Kevin Moran sealed up the middle when he moved to centre back in the second half and had a strong game. Dungarvan’s Shane Kearney replaced Jamie Nagle in the second half and showed good skill and stickwork, although the looseness of the exchanges probably suited him.

Darragh Fives dominated midfield until he was replaced by Tony Browne early in the second half and to give him his due the latter turned in a good performance, using his experience to pick up ball around the middle and deliver it well into the forwards. In fact, if he is to be used at all, midfield might suit him better as it requires less pace but an ability to read the game which Tony has in spades. Dean Twomey (whom I mistook for Eddie Barrett in my report on the Tipperary game last week) was the other midfielder but, while he played the full game, his impact was minimal apart from one neat point.

Brian O’Halloran faded out after a bright start and was replaced in the second half by Gavin O’Brien. Seamus Prendergast again put in a hard-working performance until being replaced late on by Martin O’Neill. Pauric Mahony gave an exhibition of free-taking (nine points in all) as well as scoring three points from play, but he needs to work harder at contesting for the ball in the air and at speeding up his striking, as he was great potential.

Although he took his goal well, Ray Barry for me is most effective on the wing, where he did well in the second half. He is still a bit light for senior intercounty hurling, but is a lovely striker of the ball, as shown by his final tally of 1-3. Jake Dillon had a roving commission here, and improved big time on his performance against Tipp, helping himself to three points in the process. As in the Tipp game, Jamie Barron found it difficult to get possession although he used the ball well when he did get it. He was replaced by Eddie Barrett towards the end. Martin O’Neill did well when he came on as a substitute for Seamus Prendergast.

As in the Tipp game, the good skill level and hardworking spirit were again in evidence, and there is no doubt that this team has the capability to do well in the championship.

Team: S O’Keeffe; Barry Coughlan; Shane Fives; Noel Connors; Jamie Nagle; Paudie Prendergast; Kevin Moran; Darragh Fives (0-2); Dean Twomey (0-1); Brian O’Halloran (0-2); Seamus Prendergast (0-2); Pauric Mahony (0-12, 9 frees); Ray Barry (1-3); Jake Dillon (0-3); Jamie Barron (0-1).

Subs: Mark Wyse; Ian O’Regan (0-1, free); Gavin O’Brien (0-2); Shane Kearney; Tony Browne; Martin O’Neill (1-1); Eddie Barrett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Did I read a few weeks ago on here some people saying that he was not a forward, despite putting in some good performances last year playing in the full forward line with Lismore, most notably against De La Salle, a game Lismore could have won, maybe should have won.

right corner back for the year? I know people saying paudie prender but for me I don't think he's ready for senior inter county hurling yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Brian o Halloran did not fade out as stated above. He went off injured with a dodgy enough looking knock to the ankle early enough second half.

Unfortunately we now have a number of injury concerns ahead of Clare. Shane Fives, Brian O Halloran, Shane Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

right corner back for the year? I know people saying paudie prender but for me I don't think he's ready for senior inter county hurling yet.

Could Tony Browne come in and do a job with maybe a few other changes made to the team, maybe playing Darragh at corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Black Suir wrote: »
    Could Tony Browne come in and do a job with maybe a few other changes made to the team, maybe playing Darragh at corner back.

would sooner have tony come on in the second half as an impact sub.. i just dont think he'll have a full 70+ minutes in him

I don't think they have any choice really. I think Paudie is a good hurler but would prefer him further out the field.

I think it would be killer though to see Darragh Fives go corner back. Was excellent at wing back v Galway, and is going well and offering a scoring threat from midfield as well. He has been centre back for the 2 in a row UCC team these last two years, and that in itself suggests that corner back as a gap stopper is a waste of his talent. It does show though how light we are for defensive cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭deisedude

I don't think they have any choice really. I think Paudie is a good hurler but would prefer him further out the field.

I think it would be killer though to see Darragh Fives go corner back. Was excellent at wing back v Galway, and is going well and offering a scoring threat from midfield as well. He has been centre back for the 2 in a row UCC team these last two years, and that in itself suggests that corner back as a gap stopper is a waste of his talent. It does show though how light we are for defensive cover.

Richie Foley probably isn't anywhere near fit yet i'd assume? Is Shane Kearney of Dungarvan on the panel?

Jamie Barron has played corner back underage if we are really stuck

Richie Foley probably isn't anywhere near fit yet i'd assume?

Nah hasn't been playing club championship even. Think Paudie Prender is a better hurler anyway if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Richie Foley probably isn't anywhere near fit yet i'd assume? Is Shane Kearney of Dungarvan on the panel?

Jamie Barron has played corner back underage if we are really stuck

Shane Kearney is but a good ways down the pecking order. Can't really see past Paudie Prender, and it's just a question of whether he or Darragh Fives goes back corner back. My money is on Prender going back there.

Jamie Barron won't be put back there, and rightly so. Would be a huge risk, and can you imagine if Clare put Honan on him?

Think he's needed in the forward line anyway, anybody with an eye for goal is.

If I was to predict the team at this stage I would say:

SOK
    Paudie Prender, Lawlor, Connors
    Nagle, Brick, Moran
    Shane Sully, D Fives
    Maurice Shanahan, Seamus Prender, Brian O Halloran
    Jamie Barron, Paudie Mahony, Jake Dillon

I think Shane Walsh won't be starting because he can't be fit enough. Would be a serious shame to see O'Halloran miss out again, if he does I reckon Jake Dillon will go wing forward and Ray Barry will be in the full forward line. Don't see what other option they have but to start Mahony in at full, but I expect to see Maurice Shanahan and Seamus Prender both in there at different stages of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Shane Kearney is but a good ways down the pecking order. Can't really see past Paudie Prender, and it's just a question of whether he or Darragh Fives goes back corner back. My money is on Prender going back there.

Jamie Barron won't be put back there, and rightly so. Would be a huge risk, and can you imagine if Clare put Honan on him?

Think he's needed in the forward line anyway, anybody with an eye for goal is.

If I was to predict the team at this stage I would say:

SOK
    Paudie Prender, Lawlor, Connors
    Nagle, Brick, Moran
    Shane Sully, D Fives
    Maurice Shanahan, Seamus Prender, Brian O Halloran
    Jamie Barron, Paudie Mahony, Jake Dillon

I think Shane Walsh won't be starting because he can't be fit enough. Would be a serious shame to see O'Halloran miss out again, if he does I reckon Jake Dillon will go wing forward and Ray Barry will be in the full forward line. Don't see what other option they have but to start Mahony in at full, but I expect to see Maurice Shanahan and Seamus Prender both in there at different stages of the game.

What has happenend to Gavin O'Brien this year there hasn't been a word about him after such a bright start last year. I thought we had found a real star for the future. I would hope he is still in the reckoning. Is Shane Fives out next week for definite. What a real shame if he is, I was really looking forward to seeing him in Championship this year. This reduces our chances of beating Clare I fear, hope I'm wrong.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    What has happenend to Gavin O'Brien this year there hasn't been a word about him after such a bright start last year. I thought we had found a real star for the future. I would hope he is still in the reckoning. Is Shane Fives out next week for definite. What a real shame if he is, I was really looking forward to seeing him in Championship this year. This reduces our chances of beating Clare I fear, hope I'm wrong.

He started against Clare and was very poor really, bar one flick for Dillon's goal I think. Dunno did he come again in the league. But there's big competition there. All the other young lads have made an impact like Dillon, Barron, O'Halloran, Ray Barry and you've got Seamus Prender, Brian O'Sullivan, Shane Walsh and Pauric Mahony to add into that mix as well.

I dunno myself, wasn;t there. Everyone that was though seems quite concerned. I'd agree, he'd be a big blow with Daniels gone as well. Actually think he had a better league than Daniels overall.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »

In fairness Gob was a bit overhyped last year. Had one good game against dublin in the league but not ready for this level yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

robopaddy wrote: »
    In fairness Gob was a bit overhyped last year. Had one good game against dublin in the league but not ready for this level yet.
    With all due respect to Roanmore I have seen him carry that team all on his own a few times this year. Hopefully you are right and he will mature to be a great player for Waterford in the future. There is some great young talent around at the moment and its great to see it spreading to the west of the county. The countdown begins now I hope we are ready for Clare. I'm sick of listening to a lot of negetive comments about Scully around my part of the county I'd love to see them proven wrong next Sunday.

GOB's still u21 next year so there's plenty of time for it yet. Bit unfair for anyone to write him off yet at inter county level, I think he'l be a brilliant player for us in the future, not a bad sub to have availible aswel this year.

Ridiculous for anyone to be criticising Scully, done nothing wrong last year, if shane walsh didn't go off injured and eoin mcgrath caught that ball v Cork we could have been in an all ireland semi-final last year. Scullys doing very well with the development of the younger players, dillon, o'halloran, jamie barron and darragh and shane fives all seem to be progressing very well. If they lose next week and people are calling for his head bit unfair seeing as they've lost their 2 corner backs from the league who were having a great year and conor mgrath is one of the best young players in the country. I hope Paudie Prender plays well but davy will know to stick mgrath on the rookie straight away

Can anybody explain to me how exactly RTE thought they were able to show the contrast in Waterford's style of play under Michael Ryan from when Davy Fitz was in charge, by showing a clip of Clare's style of play under Davy Fitz and not mentioning Waterford once while analyzing that clip?

Sat through over an hour of bad football for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

What's the story for the Waterford Intermediate hurling team for next Sunday? Is it being ran similar to last year i.e. an U23 development panel of sorts...? Who's looking after it...Peter Queally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Can anybody explain to me how exactly RTE thought they were able to show the contrast in Waterford's style of play under Michael Ryan from when Davy Fitz was in charge, by showing a clip of Clare's style of play under Davy Fitz and not mentioning Waterford once while analyzing that clip?

Sat through over an hour of bad football for that.

It was as if Donal Og was already looking at Clare ahead of the Cork game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

DeiseX wrote: »
    What's the story for the Waterford Intermediate hurling team for next Sunday? Is it being ran similar to last year i.e. an U23 development panel of sorts...? Who's looking after it...Peter Queally?

Probably won't find out until we buy the match programme. Clare intermediates played limerick intermediates in a challenge recently with about 70% of their team U21 for this year and they had a big win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement