Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id say davy has the clare team training really hard for the Waterford game

Prolby playing challenge games against bears and wolfs in the forest lol.

3rd time in 4 seasons we are playing them (So it could be 3rd time lucky for clare against us).

Remember what happend the last time Clare beat us in the Quarter Final of the munster championship ??
    f*** all happened! yeah they got to the all ireland but kilkenny were on a different level. 2007 was waterfords year, they were the best team in the country that year but I don't know what happened against limerick, blame fatigue I suppose. The worst drive home from dublin i'll ever experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Very happy with the result last friday evening in Carrick, even though they both lost. A good experience for all involved. Many thanks to BM who made excellent long report about the fridays match. Now i can really looking forward to this year hurling championship . Bring em on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id say davy has the clare team training really hard for the Waterford game

Prolby playing challenge games against bears and wolfs in the forest lol.

3rd time in 4 seasons we are playing them (So it could be 3rd time lucky for clare against us).

Remember what happend the last time Clare beat us in the Quarter Final of the munster championship ??

If you're going to use the logic of reflecting on agame that haddpened 5 years ago it might well be worht considering what happened 4 years previously in the same scenario. We anihilated Clare in 2004. Also, in 2008 we were missing Eoin Kelly, Ken and Eoin Murphy so we were understrength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

If you're going to use the logic of reflecting on agame that haddpened 5 years ago it might well be worht considering what happened 4 years previously in the same scenario. We anihilated Clare in 2004. Also, in 2008 we were missing Eoin Kelly, Ken and Eoin Murphy so we were understrength.

Excuses excuses excuses!For what it's worth i think Waterford are capable of beating any team outside of Kilkenny.I actually like the look of that Waterford team they have a very good half back back line with the Brick and Kevin Moran who must be the most underrated hurler in the country.You have Noel Connors in the full back line and Liam Lawlor has sorted out the once troublesome full back position.Shane O'Sullivan is a very underrated midfielder although it's a pity that Molumphy isn't available this year and there's a few promising young forwards as well.I expect Clare to be a force at senior level in time but i think it won't happen for them this year.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    f*** all happened! yeah they got to the all ireland but kilkenny were on a different level. 2007 was waterfords year, they were the best team in the country that year but I don't know what happened against limerick, blame fatigue I suppose. The worst drive home from dublin i'll ever experience!

I can't believe 07 was 6 years ago now.It was a combination of three things fatigue,complacency and Richie Bennis had Limerick primed for battle.I don't begrudge Limerick that win.They were the better team on the day but the Waterford County Board should have insisted that the match be put back a week.A refreshed and fully focused Waterford team would have beaten Limerick.I think Waterford would have beaten Kilkenny in the final that year and the brick probably would have had a few choice words for Brian Corcoran in the acceptance speech!I imagine it would have been a more floury version of Tom Cashmans to the lord mayor of Galway have a look at that line!It's all history now though and we can't undo the past.

• Advertisement

Excuses excuses excuses!For what it's worth i think Waterford are capable of beating any team outside of Kilkenny.I actually like the look of that Waterford team they have a very good half back back line with the Brick and Kevin Moran who must be the most underrated hurler in the country.You have Noel Connors in the full back line and Liam Lawlor has sorted out the once troublesome full back position.Shane O'Sullivan is a very underrated midfielder although it's a pity that Molumphy isn't available this year and there's a few promising young forwards as well.I expect Clare to be a force at senior level in time but i think it won't happen for them this year.

How? He won an all star last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

How? He won an all star last year

i think moran could make better use of posession at times. hes distribution into the forwards isnt great and he has a tendancy to go for a wild shot from out the field looking for the big score, sometimes this comes off and its great when it does but id prefer to see him play the percentages a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I can't believe 07 was 6 years ago now.It was a combination of three things fatigue,complacency and Richie Bennis had Limerick primed for battle.I don't begrudge Limerick that win.They were the better team on the day but the Waterford County Board should have insisted that the match be put back a week.A refreshed and fully focused Waterford team would have beaten Limerick.I think Waterford would have beaten Kilkenny in the final that year and the brick probably would have had a few choice words for Brian Corcoran in the acceptance speech!I imagine it would have been a more floury version of Tom Cashmans to the lord mayor of Galway have a look at that line!It's all history now though and we can't undo the past.

Wouldnt have made a difference, the system was what it was and the GAA werent going to make exceptions for anyone. For what its worth I dont beleive we would have beaten KK that year anyway.. We would definetly have given them a right rattle unlike the following year in 08, we were ready for them. But I dont think it was even appreciated how good this KK team actually were at that stage. Beating them in the league final was one thing but they are a different animal entirely when it came to the latter stages of the championship

i think moran could make better use of posession at times. hes distribution into the forwards isnt great and he has a tendancy to go for a wild shot from out the field looking for the big score, sometimes this comes off and its great when it does but id prefer to see him play the percentages a bit better.

I would certainly agree against Clare and Tipp last year, while he was dominant, he had several misplaced balls. I certainly think he still has room to imrpove though he has become the player we were all hoping/expecting him to be.

I would certainly agree against Clare and Tipp last year, while he was dominant, he had several misplaced balls. I certainly think he still has room to imrpove though he has become the player we were all hoping/expecting him to be.

The problem there I think is that centre back is still his best position as its where he is most dominant. Unfortunately for him its Brick's best position also and weve seen that Brick isnt near as effective from midfield or any other position so Id say Moran is going to be rotated around midfield and the half backline for the forseeable future

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »
    The problem there I think is that centre back is still his best position as its where he is most dominant. Unfortunately for him its Brick's best position also and weve seen that Brick isnt near as effective from midfield or any other position so Id say Moran is going to be rotated around midfield and the half backline for the forseeable future

Haven't seen Brick play midfield since 2008, was pretty good up to then. But I don't think Moran is a better centre back than Brick anyway. Brick is ridiculously good in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I really hope you are not the author of that piece deise, because its gutter journalism and the irony of the title is the only part of it that is above terrible.

I really hope you are not the author of that piece deise, because its gutter journalism and the irony of the title is the only part of it that is above terrible.

Couldnt agree more but unfortunately there is a lot of narrow-mindedness along the waterford/south Kilkenny border. A lot of sad bitter people on both sides that quite frankly has to be seen to be beleived

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

lol, as if. i was browsing the web and i came across it, so i share it with my fellow deise's

Couldnt agree more but unfortunately there is a lot of narrow-mindedness along the waterford/south Kilkenny border. A lot of sad bitter people on both sides that quite frankly has to be seen to be beleived

As a Tipp man who's county happens to share a border with every other hurling county I know only too well the crap that goes on.

As a Tipp man who's county happens to share a border with every other hurling county I know only too well the crap that goes on.

Well i grew up inches away from the Waterford border and i can safely that the most of us on either side of it have little time for that nonsense.Life is too short for that sort of pettiness and small mindedness.Of course there is a fierce sense of rivalry with Waterford where i come from but that's only for the 70+ minutes and it is a sporting rivalry only.When Cork lose to Waterford you'd be disappointed for about a week but you get over it and life moves on.People who bring a gaa rivalry into real life need to find another pastime or something!The fact's are that some of us are married to and some of us have parents and best friends from that perceived wrong side of the border.The people living along the south Kilkenny and Waterford border need to grow up and realise that their not living in the gaza strip!

I didn't like the way that author of the article described Kinsalebeg.There's more to that place than borreens.That place is home to some of the finest and nicest people in Waterford.I have a special affinity with that place.Whatever about the wrongs of the proposed abolishing of Waterford city council what that issue and a shopping centre in the Ferrybank has to do with hurling is beyond me.:confused:

Whatever about the wrongs of the proposed abolishing of Waterford city council what that issue and a shopping centre in the Ferrybank has to do with hurling is beyond me.:confused:

This. Given the nature of the site I don't think it was an appropriate medium to air misgivings about Waterford/Kilkenny relations. I do not believe that hurling has an influence on political decisions referenced in the piece.

To be honest I don't really see the point of discussing the blog post here either, it's not really relevant.

Certainly not relevant to 10 days time, which is basically all I'm thinking about at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyway, seniors playing Limerick in a challenge in Mallow at 7.15 Friday evening. Should be a good run out and maybe a last chance saloon for some players to stake a claim for Sunday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anyway, seniors playing Limerick in a challenge in Mallow at 7.15 Friday evening. Should be a good run out and maybe a last chance saloon for some players to stake a claim for Sunday week.

I attended the challenge in The Davin Park in Carrick last Friday evening between Waterford and Tipp and all I have to say about it is I saw enough to give me a bit of confidence for the game against Clare. Challenges are good workouts but bear no relation to the real thing.
    Its nice to get a look at the team and how well they are shaping up but the Championship is a different beast altogether. Limerick beat Kilkenny last Monday evening in a challenge so it wont be a bad game before the big day but thats all it will be only a workout. Clare are going to be tough and I think it will be a 50:50 match. I hope the weather picks up because its still like the month of April.

I haven't been around the last week or so but the weather in the midwest was fantastic, and that would be roundabouts where Thurles is.

I agree that I think it'll be a 50/50 game. Honan and Conor McGrath returning are big additions for Clare that weren't present during the league. They've been hitting huge wides tallies, which suggest they're creating chances but also wasteful. One thing of note is that teams seem to need goals to beat them. Kilkenny needed three, we needed 2, and Cork needed 2 just to keep pace with them. Tipp got 3 against them as well.

Statistically speaking, our goal tally is very low. But Clare are presenting chances, and that coupled with our steady full back line, and dominant half backline and midfield means that there is the potential for goals. Think about it, if their defense is under constant bombardment then eventually the pressure will tell.

The loss of Steven Daniels is offset by the gain of Darragh Fives. Would have loved to see Danno in the halfback line as it would have been a truly awesome defense then but all the same it's great that Darragh is fit after the troubles he had last year, have huge time for him. Ultimately it's going to be like last year, and while people at this stage (many of them bookmakers) are forecasting that Waterford have to lose in Munster before a final eventually, it doesn't mean it will happen this year. We have every chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Haven't seen Brick play midfield since 2008, was pretty good up to then. But I don't think Moran is a better centre back than Brick anyway. Brick is ridiculously good in fairness.

Brick is a great centre back positionally and defensively (which is exactly what our fullback has needed over the last few years) but sometimes I feel the quality of ball he delivers forwards isn't as high a standard as everything else getting does

Well i grew up inches away from the Waterford border and i can safely that the most of us on either side of it have little time for that nonsense.Life is too short for that sort of pettiness and small mindedness.Of course there is a fierce sense of rivalry with Waterford where i come from but that's only for the 70+ minutes and it is a sporting rivalry only.When Cork lose to Waterford you'd be disappointed for about a week but you get over it and life moves on.People who bring a gaa rivalry into real life need to find another pastime or something!The fact's are that some of us are married to and some of us have parents and best friends from that perceived wrong side of the border.The people living along the south Kilkenny and Waterford border need to grow up and realise that their not living in the gaza strip!

Cork/Waterford games in Thurles are always great banter I think its a very healthy rivalry theres huge respect between the supporters. Ive always found the Cork fans to be generally warm and embracing unlike some other counties in Munster who I wont name

Brick is a great centre back positionally and defensively (which is exactly what our fullback has needed over the last few years) but sometimes I feel the quality of ball he delivers forwards isn't as high a standard as everything else getting does

I disagree, I think his use of the ball is fantastic. So intelligent on the ball no matter what he does with it wont be given back to the opposition. I get what your saying hes not really renowned for huge defence-splitting clearances into the forwards but in fairness the last couple of years weve lacked ball winners in the forwards anyway.

I haven't been around the last week or so but the weather in the midwest was fantastic, and that would be roundabouts where Thurles is.

I agree that I think it'll be a 50/50 game. Honan and Conor McGrath returning are big additions for Clare that weren't present during the league. They've been hitting huge wides tallies, which suggest they're creating chances but also wasteful. One thing of note is that teams seem to need goals to beat them. Kilkenny needed three, we needed 2, and Cork needed 2 just to keep pace with them. Tipp got 3 against them as well.

Statistically speaking, our goal tally is very low. But Clare are presenting chances, and that coupled with our steady full back line, and dominant half backline and midfield means that there is the potential for goals. Think about it, if their defense is under constant bombardment then eventually the pressure will tell.

The loss of Steven Daniels is offset by the gain of Darragh Fives. Would have loved to see Danno in the halfback line as it would have been a truly awesome defense then but all the same it's great that Darragh is fit after the troubles he had last year, have huge time for him. Ultimately it's going to be like last year, and while people at this stage (many of them bookmakers) are forecasting that Waterford have to lose in Munster before a final eventually, it doesn't mean it will happen this year. We have every chance.

I agree defensively Id be confident enough that we have plenty quality to hold our own against even some of the best forward lines in the country, even without the likes of Daniels and Mahony.

The big question is have we got enough firepower in attack. With Mullane gone some of these young lads are going to have to seriously step up to the plate. If they can then weve a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭deisedude

I disagree, I think his use of the ball is fantastic. So intelligent on the ball no matter what he does with it wont be given back to the opposition. I get what your saying hes not really renowned for huge defence-splitting clearances into the forwards but in fairness the last couple of years weve lacked ball winners in the forwards anyway.

Brick is always looking for the short pass to someone in a better position. He doesn't really do many long passes. I think he is the best centre back out there. You could really only make an argument of Hogan being on par/better

Completely disagree tbh and would say the complete opposite, he is a wonderfull hurler an excellent centre back, he's distribution is always assured but IMO he's one weakness is he's 'looseness' and tendancy to mark space. He plays more like a second full back at times and it can be easily enough countered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Clare's goal return in the league was very low, plenty created few converted.
    As you say, Honan and McGrath back are a huge boost back for the inside line.
    First round of club championship was on in Clare last weekend. All came through ok, but there's a bit of a doubt around Seadna Morey. He played club but had a strapped arm r=from a knock picked up previously.
    Think Donal O Donovan also missed his club game with a sore back, but as far as I'm aware, its not serious enough to miss out Sunday week

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Clare's goal return in the league was very low, plenty created few converted.
    As you say, Honan and McGrath back are a huge boost back for the inside line.
    First round of club championship was on in Clare last weekend. All came through ok, but there's a bit of a doubt around Seadna Morey. He played club but had a strapped arm r=from a knock picked up previously.
    Think Donal O Donovan also missed his club game with a sore back, but as far as I'm aware, its not serious enough to miss out Sunday week

This two are essential to the Clare forward line. And in fairness they'd make most teams in the Country. McGrath would make any team, asnd while the jury is still out on Honan if he can translate the u21 form to Senior level then he will be a top hurler.

I thought Morey and O'Donovan where two of yer best backs in February. Morey got two points and we couldn't live with his pace when he ran from the backline. O'Donovan also fast and very strong, although I'm not sure is he a pure hurler. Reminds me of Noel Connors in a lot of ways, though maybe not as tidy a hurler. Either would certainly be a blow to lose for Clare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement