Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

blue note wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/d%C3%A9ise-s-new-generation-bring-some-fresh-hope-1.1410520

Good preview of the match and interview with Ken here from yesterday's times.

I was surprised to read that Tony is the only player we have left from our 2002-2010 Munster winning teams. I was also surprised that there are 10 changes to the side that lost to Clare last year.

A very surprising read!

Part of the misinformation Cummiskey is guilty of if that is the same article I read yesterday. Seamus Prendergast featured in all of them as well, and sure there's a few lads on the panel that have Munster titles in their pockets.

He also said 10 changes from the side that lost to Clare last year, though I guess that must have been tiredness or something because he mentions the 4 munster finals in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

If we had a fully fit squad I'd be confident in saying it's actually a better team out there this year.

I would take Dillon and Barron ahead of Eoin Kelly (based on his performance last year against Clare) and GOB. Jamie Nagle is also a better hurler than Richie Foley (yeah you heard me, deal with it).

And as much as we miss Molumphy, I think a midfield of Shane O'Sullivan and Darragh Fives provides a scoring threat we didn't have last year and two players who are good in the air.

If Shane Fives or Daniels was there we'd have a much better defense than last year, but even as it stands Paudie Prender is a good hurler and Ringo was very poor last year.

Many people don't seem to recognize that Mullane's role in the team changed last year. He became more of a creater than a finisher. He was out the field to win ball in the Clare and Cork games, and used his pace to take on players further out the field. I feel that Brian O'Halloran has shown in the league that he is more than capable of assuming that role in the team. One thing the forward line does lack in comparison to last year is the experience and 'that catch' or crucial moment of leadership or spark that say Mullane or Shane Walsh could bring. Hopefully Maurice and Mahony can step up in that regard and help the young lads around them, and that Seamus will keep up the form he's shown in the past year and a half.

We can certainly win this game, despite what the unanimous claim that Clare will win from outside observers. After all, we have Brick and Moran, that in itself goes along way to winning a game like this!
    Even out the field you could bank on Mullane for a few points. We're hoping for a few youngsters to step up to the plate so I don't think we can say that they're better yet. Close though. I did post a sample team recently enough with the injured and travellers in it. It's very strong looking.

The year Foley was midfield with O'Sullivan I thought he had a great year. An Moltoir's stats showed the pair of them were quietly beavering away and winning lots of possession between them. He's been very unlucky with injuries since. I'm hoping that if he can stay injury free for a while that he can get back to that level.

I think the winning of this for us would be for the half backs and midfield to keep the ball away from their full forward line and to keep a stream of pressure on the Clare defence. If enough ball goes in the forwards are bound to win some of it. The Brick, Moran, O'Sullivan axis will probably be key to this. They're obviously good enough but we can't afford for them to play badly or for Clare to disrupt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think the 2 key men for us on Sunday are Seamus and Maurice. If we secure enough possession in the half forward line we are bollixed.

Looks like the sun will be shining and the game could be high scoring, the last times I remember us playing in a hot day v Clare (2008 and 2005) things didnt work out well, hopefully things will be different Sunday as we all get turned into lobsters under the Tipperary sun.

I think we can win this one, the telling thing for me is that I feel we have enough experience if things arent going to plan that we can rely on the likes of Moran, Brick, Seamus to steady the ship. My fear is though that we get caught like Clare did in 2004, fingers crossed though that wont happen

KevIRL wrote: »
    I think the 2 key men for us on Sunday are Seamus and Maurice. If we secure enough possession in the half forward line we are bollixed.

Looks like the sun will be shining and the game could be high scoring, the last times I remember us playing in a hot day v Clare (2008 and 2005) things didnt work out well, hopefully things will be different Sunday as we all get turned into lobsters under the Tipperary sun.

I think we can win this one, the telling thing for me is that I feel we have enough experience if things arent going to plan that we can rely on the likes of Moran, Brick, Seamus to steady the ship. My fear is though that we get caught like Clare did in 2004, fingers crossed though that wont happen

Last day we played Clare in a scorcher in Thurles was that day you mentioned in 2004.

I don't think it would be comparable. Clare are the favourites, not sure who was back on that day, but I remember there being a lot of talk about us having to turnaround a very flat performance against Galway in the league final (which I think was only a week earlier, but long time ago now so not sure).

There's not really the same pressure on the Waterford lads. Jamesie O'Connor said on the radio the other day that the whole County of Clare expects them to win.

Now, can anyone think of a County with lots of promising underage talent who, when expected to win, we've caught cold in recent times?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

O'Keefe played three matches and kept no clean sheets. Iggy played two and kept two clean sheets. As much as the heart would love O'Keefe to start it's hardly an outrageous decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Interesting reading some of the posts on the Clare Hurlers Forum they expect to beat us between 5 to 10 points. It could happen who knows but I hpoe its a close game because a bad beating for any of these teams would be a big setback. Hard to know where we really stand with all the changes. A few challenge games are all we have to go by for the past few weeks and to be honest those results mean nothing compared to what it will be like on Sunday. Please somebody tell me its not true that Iggy is dating one of Scully's daughters. This I have been told was the reason why he was picked over Steven O'Keefe. I'm just getting a dose of the jitter's listening to all the rumers and a bit annoyed. A win on Sunday will put them to bed and I will be collecting a nice few bob hopefully.

Iggy is dating a daughter of Scullys but this is nonsense to say that's the only reason he's playing. The players themselves feel Iggy deserves it going on form of last few weeks. I personally would rather SOK but I'm not at every training session an challenge game so I think the players an back room staff know what there doing here.. SOK can be a bit careless at times concentration lapses I can only imagine this is the main factor either way I wish Iggy the best of luck an I firmly believe we can win this.

As mentioned in previous post re. Scully
    "Men who climb mountains are good for one thing- climbing mountains"
    I got some laugh off that Brilliant story!! Hon the Deise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Who'll be taking frees tomorrow lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Who'll be taking frees tomorrow lads?

Maurice Shanahan?

PS anyone know how Michael Ryan ended up being called Scully? Assume its an X files reference but how did it come about.

Same as another poster above I had a chuckle when I heard about the climbing mountains yarn! Gas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭seananigans

Lads,why are we never rated, don't the pundits tired of getting it wrong all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Last day we played Clare in a scorcher in Thurles was that day you mentioned in 2004.

I don't think it would be comparable. Clare are the favourites, not sure who was back on that day, but I remember there being a lot of talk about us having to turnaround a very flat performance against Galway in the league final (which I think was only a week earlier, but long time ago now so not sure).

There's not really the same pressure on the Waterford lads. Jamesie O'Connor said on the radio the other day that the whole County of Clare expects them to win.

Now, can anyone think of a County with lots of promising underage talent who, when expected to win, we've caught cold in recent times?

They met in a roaster in the GAelic Grounds in 08, think it was a Bank Hol Sunday also, Waterford were well depleted the same day.

• Advertisement

Ye can expect to see Honan start in place of Paudge Collins and Morey to be further out the field, poosibly to partner Galvin in mid-field.
    Either Conor Ryan then to WB and Pat O Connor to CB or Dillon straight into CB. The latter is probably the way it'll pan out, gives Clare the option of putting Dillon into FB if MacInerney is struggling with Prendergast

Hidalgo wrote: »
    They met in a roaster in the GAelic Grounds in 08, think it was a Bank Hol Sunday also, Waterford were well depleted the same day.

Remember it well, a horrible day for us. Wouldn't think it's comparable though I wasn't expecting what happened that day to happen.

Why I mentioned 2004 was the game is in Thurles. And we have a horrible record (in admittedly only two games) IN the Galeic Grounds, not the same team in Thurles. Plus I'm just looking at any possible reason to be optimistic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Iggy is dating a daughter of Scullys but this is nonsense to say that's the only reason he's playing. The players themselves feel Iggy deserves it going on form of last few weeks. I personally would rather SOK but I'm not at every training session an challenge game so I think the players an back room staff know what there doing here.. SOK can be a bit careless at times concentration lapses I can only imagine this is the main factor either way I wish Iggy the best of luck an I firmly believe we can win this.

As mentioned in previous post re. Scully
    "Men who climb mountains are good for one thing- climbing mountains"
    I got some laugh off that Brilliant story!! Hon the Deise

Liam lawlor doin a line with another one and one of the o'gormans aswell... Gboy skully boy tryin to breed a few hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Dont be stupid and admit your 100% wrong the above clearly proves it. Il leave it at that so as not to completely derail the thread.

You derailed it about 5 posts ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Excitement really building for tomorrow looking out at the fine weather. Have yet to see any analyst or publication going for anything other than a Clare win, should be good ammo for team talk tomorrow. I think it will be very close and would be surprised if there was more than a goal either way. Am hopeful that our experienced players will edge us over the line but we will need some big displays from some of the young lads.

Best of luck to footballers tonight also but it is hard to see anything other than a heavy crushing defeat in Killarney.

Remember it well, a horrible day for us. Wouldn't think it's comparable though I wasn't expecting what happened that day to happen.

Why I mentioned 2004 was the game is in Thurles. And we have a horrible record (in admittedly only two games) IN the Galeic Grounds, not the same team in Thurles. Plus I'm just looking at any possible reason to be optimistic :P

2004 was even more one sided, just the other way round.
    Clare havn't won a big game in Thurles for quiet a while, maybe 2008 V Limerick, I'd say they'd prefer Limerick.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Mr Tibbs and Helpneeded86 both infracted for being uncivil - please do not backseat mod, if you have a problem with a post, please report it!

Footballers just 4 points down at half time. Kerry not firing, they have plenty in reserve of course. Can be difficult though to turn it on in a game like that, fatigue is a concern for them as well. Plenty of positives for Waterford to take into the second half.

Kerry 0-8 Waterford 0-4 HT

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Junior footballers beat tipp earlier and into Munster final I believe. Well done to them. Seniors putting in a good show too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Kerry have 2-3 since half time, it's now 2-11 to 0-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Really looking forward to the match with Clare on Sunday. Seems likes Clare we have a lot of players we would be hopeful of stepping up, yet all and sundry only seem to note any potential in Clare. This sort of lacklustre, lazy journalism really rankles, but I suppose it will be no harm going in as we are tomorrow.

Championship this season should be a real tester without Mullane, and am hopeful his departure sends a clear signal to others what is required. Bit surprised to see Iggy in goal, Stephen O'Keefe didn't cover himself in glory in the league, and with most of the county I would regard him as a much better championship prospect than O'Regan, although hope I am wrong.

The absence of Molumphy and Shane Walsh will be keenly felt, I suspect, especially Walsh who carries a lot of threat in an area that seems full of promising, but not proven hurlers.

I would love to see a lot of the unproven players on the team, especially in the forwards lines, step up tomorrow, and deliver an emphatic victory over Clare, but I suspect we are at too early a stage in the championship season for that yet, and that it will be more than likely tit for tat fare.

Lot of pressure on Clare in this game, and think if we win this game, it will probably be from a powerful surge in the final third of the game from us.

Up the Déise!

Kerry did not take that lying down. 22 point second half win, scoring 4-13 to 1-0.

Very disappointing stuff. Kerry 4-21 Waterford 1-4 FT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I suppose when the county board won't give the senior footballers management team enough time to prepare the team you always will be fighting an uphill battle.Oh well hopefully the team will win a few qualifier matches.Best of luck tomorrow if the younger forwards step up to the plate then Waterford will win.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I suppose when the county board won't give the senior footballers management team enough time to prepare the team you always will be fighting an uphill battle.Oh well hopefully the team will win a few qualifier matches.Best of luck tomorrow if the younger forwards step up to the plate then Waterford will win.

What are you talking about? The current management under Niall Carew have been working with this panel since December. They have been training at least twice a week since then, sometimes three times and have gone on numerous training camps.

Unfortunately there is a huge gulf in class between the likes of Waterford and Kerry. It probably wouldn't change the result but the so called weaker counties should be given home advantage in games like this. It's surely very demoralising to go on a 9 hour round trip to get bet by 26 points.

I believe the open draw in the Munster football championship doesn't work. Personally I think Limerick, Clare, Waterford and Tipp should play a round robin group and the top 2 play Cork or Kerry in the semis. The final will nine times out of ten will be Cork vs Kerry anyway but at least it gives the other 4 teams a bit of game time and guarantees them 3 games before the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our hurlers today, Hon da Deise ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

to clarify if we get beaten today we will enter the qulifers

We will be in a draw with 6 other teams (London, Westmeath, Antrim, Losers of Carlow/Laois, Wexford/Dublin and Offaly/Kilkenny).

All Ireland Prem Round (Sat 22 Jun)- 6 teams drawn into 3 games (1 team gets bye to phase 1). Winners go into phase 1.

All Ireland Phase 1 (Sat 29 Jun)- 4 teams drawn into 2 matches- 3 winners from Prem round and team who got the bye. 2 Winners advance to phase 3

All Ireland Phase 2 (Sat 6 July)- 4 teams drawn into 2 matches- 2 Losing Munster Provenial Semi Finalists vs 2 Leinster Semi Provential Finalists.

All Ireland Phase 3 (Sat 13 July)- 4 teams drawn into 2 matches- 2 Winners from Phase 1 vs 2 Winners From Phase 2. Winners advance to All Ireland Quarter Finals to play Prov Runners up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

What are you talking about? The current management under Niall Carew have been working with this panel since December. They have been training at least twice a week since then, sometimes three times and have gone on numerous training camps.

Unfortunately there is a huge gulf in class between the likes of Waterford and Kerry. It probably wouldn't change the result but the so called weaker counties should be given home advantage in games like this. It's surely very demoralising to go on a 9 hour round trip to get bet by 26 points.

I believe the open draw in the Munster football championship doesn't work. Personally I think Limerick, Clare, Waterford and Tipp should play a round robin group and the top 2 play Cork or Kerry in the semis. The final will nine times out of ten will be Cork vs Kerry anyway but at least it gives the other 4 teams a bit of game time and guarantees them 3 games before the qualifiers.

yea they have to do something its a joke of a competition really. the 4 weaker teams just accept theyre going to be trounced by the big 2 and preparations are more for the qualifiers than the Munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The very best of luck to the intermediates and seniors today. Please God it'll be a good day for the lads, the likes of Brick, Moran and Seamus will need big games to pull us through.

1am throw in here in Sydney, this better be worth going into work in the morning like a zombie, if we win I won't care less!

Hon the fcuking Deise!

Denis Walsh believes Honan will start today, and Cian Dillon, meaning Seadna Morey will be midfield. Hope we're prepared for this.

Hon the Deise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Crowd around Thurles seems to be small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement