Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Crowd around Thurles seems to be small

I'd be surprised if there is more than 10k there. Munster Hurling is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

the streaming link i was watching stopped as the game started :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

garv123 wrote: »
    the streaming link i was watching stopped as the game started :(

aertv

baraca wrote: »
    aertv

"not available in your region" :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Was Brian O'Halloran injured? I know he wasn't involved, but he's a class hurler. Can't say Barry has made much of an impression so far either, I'm sure he'll come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Was Brian O'Halloran injured? I know he wasn't involved, but he's a class hurler. Can't say Barry has made much of an impression so far either, I'm sure he'll come into it.

Apparently limped off. Ray has been anonymous alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Is it just me or are the rte pundits giving Clare all the airtime? Waterford are playing the better hurling but they ain't getting the credit from the pundits.

S28382 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the rte pundits giving Clare all the airtime? Waterford are playing the better hurling but they ain't getting the credit from the pundits.

They all backed Clare at the start and dont want to be wrong.

Nagle is having a great game winning and clearing loose ball

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bad shooting will cost waterford

Bad shooting will cost waterford

Has there ever been a game where it didnt?

One thing they're always consistent with game after game is a high wide count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

garv123 wrote: »
    They all backed Clare at the start and dont want to be wrong.

Nagle is having a great game winning and clearing loose ball

Hopfully Waterford will win and stick it to those fools, if we can be more accurate we will win.

Should have been miles ahead after 45. Struggling now. Wides killing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

so much for our solid backline

No surprise the wides lose waterford a game once again.

Nagle is the only waterford person I would have rated in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Lawlor is a problem.

Orizio wrote: »
    Lawlor is a problem.

I think Lawlor is fine. 1-9 we are decent. Wides and an anonymous forward line second half are what killed us. If we took the points missed after halftime it might have been a different story.

Hopefully the qualifiers bring the likes of Barron, Dillon, Barry, Halloran and Paudie on. Nice hurlers but need to toughen up to tbh heat of Championship hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We don't want Wexford/Offaly/Dublin in the qualifiers. We could possibly get to phase 3 if we are drawn against the so called weaker teams eg London,Westmeath etc.

The all Ireland prem round will take place in sat 22 June and phase 1 will take place on sat 29 June (daytripper weekend in Waterford city, Viking marathon event).

So we can play either Carlow/London/Westmeath/Antrim and the losers of Wexford/Dublin and Offaly/Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think Lawlor is fine. 1-9 we are decent. Wides and an anonymous forward line second half are what killed us. If we took the points missed after halftime it might have been a different story.

Hopefully the qualifiers bring the likes of Barron, Dillon, Barry, Halloran and Paudie on. Nice hurlers but need to toughen up to tbh heat of Championship hurling.

Well done to Clare but i wouldn't fear them the next day.What lost the game for Waterford was costly misses and the younger forwards don't seem to be ready for championship hurling.Maybe a run through the qualifiers might be a blessing in disguise if it get's more games into the likes of Jake Dillon etc.I think Waterford should make the quarter finals and after that who know's what will happen.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Really disappointing result, among the worst I've experienced. The game was there for the taking but the wides at the start of the second half came back to haunt us. Full credit to Clare they came back and took advantage of our shortcomings. Bottom line, we didn't have the depth of panel required and too much too soon for the younger players. A run through qualifiers will benefit those players and I wouldn't write off the year on the basis of this game. Lads have to pick themselves up and we need to stay behind them. Jamie Nagle best performer on the day, thought our puckouts were generally woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Awful awful second half, one of the worst halves of hurling I've seen a Waterford team play. 3 of our 6 forwards were missing or worse for the entire game, similar to the league games we end up in the 15-18 points range, might get away with it on cold winter games but not in the championship.

Fair play to Clare though as mentioned above they took full advantage of our shortcomings. They will look to build on the momentum of the second half of that game and shouldnt fear Cork anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to Clare today.. they wanted it more than us
    We missed too many scoring chances in the 1st half and also in the 1st ten minutes of the second half, when we should and could have been 10 pts ahead instead of three or four.. Clare were always going to come at us strong in the last 10 to 15 minutes of the game.
    Too many passengers out there today, thought Jamie Nagle was man of the match today, delighted for him, as he gets a lot of flak usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

From a Clare pov,
    After a great start we gifted Waterford a goal and then completely fell apart for 20 mins.
    Waterford should have been up by more than 4 at half time and then hit 3 quick wides at the start of the 2nd half.
    At this stage it should have been game over.

Maurice Shanahan faded in the 2nd half, he was causing serious damage in the 1st.
    There's no way I'd have predicted a Clare win with Conor McGrath so quiet, Connors really had the shackles on him.

Jamie Nagle was my MOTM, Brick was also qulaity. Best 2 players were both Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Hidalgo wrote: »
    From a Clare pov,
    After a great start we gifted Waterford a goal and then completely fell apart for 20 mins.
    Waterford should have been up by more than 4 at half time and then hit 3 quick wides at the start of the 2nd half.
    At this stage it should have been game over.

Maurice Shanahan faded in the 2nd half, he was causing serious damage in the 1st.
    There's no way I'd have predicted a Clare win with Conor McGrath so quiet, Connors really had the shackles on him.

Jamie Nagle was my MOTM, Brick was also qulaity. Best 2 players were both Waterford.

Agree on Nagle. I honestly thought he was immense. Bricks man scored 4 from play. He was caught badly in possession twice. To say he was the second best player on the pitch is, in my opinion, wrong. I would say Shane O'Sullivan and Noel Connors were way ahead of Brick. Jake Dillon and Maurice were good in patches. Maurice definitely looked to be carrying a knock second half may be why he faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Anybody know when the draw for the qualifiers takes place? Might be a blessing in disguise for our younger players in that it brings us on a bit more. I wouldn't fear meeting Clare again. The game was there to be won today, Ml Ryan hit the nail on the head when he said we lost it in the first 10 mins of the 2nd half. Plenty of hurling still to be played.

I'd say its next Sunday when the kk Offaly and dub we games will have been played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

As regards qualifiers it looks like we will have to beat two of Westmeath, London, Wexford (assuming they lose to Dublin), Carlow, Antrim and Offaly (assuming they lose to KK) to qualify for phase 3, at which point we would face one of the beaten Leinster or Munster semi-finalists. I would expect those four to be Dublin, Laois, Cork and Limerick. Someone might please correct me if this is wrong. It is a route fraught with potential danger and there is plenty of work to do to make the quarters.

doz wrote: »
    As regards qualifiers it looks like we will have to beat two of Westmeath, London, Wexford (assuming they lose to Dublin), Carlow, Antrim and Offaly (assuming they lose to KK) to qualify for phase 3, at which point we would face one of the beaten Leinster or Munster semi-finalists. I would expect those four to be Dublin, Laois, Cork and Limerick. Someone might please correct me if this is wrong. It is a route fraught with potential danger and there is plenty of work to do to make the quarters.

Thats it pretty much, although we could get a bye in the preliminary qualifer round. Taking your predictions above I would prefer this sort of route.

Prelim phase - play Carlow
    1st phase - play Offaly or Wexford
    3rd phase - doesnt really matter every game would be tough

A relatively straightforward game 1st time out, a chance to rebuild some confidence and less chance of getting caught by one of the 'bigger' teams that round. Then an increase in difficulty for the 1st phase as we'd need this to prime ourselves for the tougher again task to come in phase 3, tbf if we cant beat Offaly/Wex then we shouldnt be thinking about phase 3 anyway, thats why I'd prefer one of those than the draw working out that we play say Antrim after a straightforward prelim phase game.

Would specifically like Carlow for the prelim as the game will take place the day after I get married in Kilkenny. Waterford v Carlow might be fixed for Nowlan Park, which would mean I'd get to go :pac:

We have to face up to the fact that we could draw one of the tougher Leinster teams in the prelim phase though and if we didnt improve a LOT on today's performance we could well be finished senior inter county hurling before the end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

That was the quietest I've seen Thurles for a championship game in a long time. The game never took off and was poor championship fare - no bite, no anger or aggression (apart from Davy!). Very dissappointing day out after a promising first half. Did anyone else think that we didn't seem as fit/sharp as Clare . Definitely faded and a few Waterford lads stretching limbs towards the end.

Maurice was turned upside at one stage and was hobbling for a bit - he wasn't the same after that.

The ref didn't help after the 4 wides at the start of the 2nd half - gave Clare a few dubious frees to bring them level and change the momentum , we never got back on top after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

When 2 average teams meet the hungrier of the two generally win. From what I could see, that was clare from the first whistle till the final whistle. We had a run after the goal and hit way to many wides to even deserve a win but Clare just seemed hungrier all over the pitch.

Connors and nagle were best performers for Waterford, half forward line disappeared after 45 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

We don't want Wexford/Offaly/Dublin in the qualifiers. We could possibly get to phase 3 if we are drawn against the so called weaker teams eg London,Westmeath etc.

The all Ireland prem round will take place in sat 22 June and phase 1 will take place on sat 29 June (daytripper weekend in Waterford city, Viking marathon event).

So we can play either Carlow/London/Westmeath/Antrim and the losers of Wexford/Dublin and Offaly/Kilkenny.

Could be a busy day in Waterford city so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement