Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also believe him to be a a man without any solutions or answers, nor gives any suggestion he wants to contribute

isn't that exactly what he gets from his interviewees?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Elmo wrote: »
    isn't that exactly what he gets from his interviewees?
    It's not that I expect VB to provide the answers, obviously that's not his position. But it's a question of his tone & manner that frustrates. It's one thing to challenge a politician / economist / whatever on their viewpoints or initiatives - that's simply basic journalism to get to the bottom of things on behalf of the public - but more often than not VB lets his own personal agenda & cynicism colour the tone and wording of his challenges and it turns into an aimless attack on the interviewee for the sake of it => trolling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's not that I expect VB to provide the answers, obviously that's not his position. But it's a question of his tone & manner that frustrates. It's one thing to challenge a politician / economist / whatever on their viewpoints or initiatives - that's simply basic journalism to get to the bottom of things on behalf of the public - but more often than not VB lets his own personal agenda & cynicism colour the tone and wording of his challenges and it turns into an aimless attack on the interviewee for the sake of it => trolling

That's a very good post.. You captured the whole problem that I have with Vincent.. He'll start off by addressing the topical issue and then suddenly bring up something from years ago, for no other reason only to annoy the interviewee... then when he doesnt get a straight answer to his loaded, sarcastic, petty question... he keeps asking until you lose about five minutes with the messing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

where is VB?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ivan Yates again?

Where has Richard Curran gone? Is he meant to present any day soon?

Anyway, the programme is about RTE's review about that tweet again relating to Sean Gallagher.

EDIT* Ah I didn't know that Richard Curran is related to Noel Curran; the Current DG of RTE.

Good move Richard IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does Leo mean left-wing when he says 'liberal'?

VB was arguing that RTE has a right-wing agenda..Funny how people see these things.

Glenna Lynch is certainly milking her 15 minutes of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Does Leo mean left-wing when he says 'liberal'?

VB was arguing that RTE has a right-wing agenda..Funny how people see these things.

Usual politician nonscence alright, just like in UK where Tories accuse BBC of left bias and Labour accuse them of right wing bias., Gallagher lost by his own hand anyway, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Vincent back Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Sick of this woman on every bloody tv3 show.Just because she asked a question on the TFL (front line show)

Is she the only business person in Ireland?

Yeah Yeah, she is close to this story, but any bloody excuse:( to go on.

• Advertisement

Glenna Lynch is certainly milking her 15 minutes of fame.

Why not? As interesting as most of the muppets on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Wasn't Noel Whelan a flatmate of Sean's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Vincent back Wednesday.

Ivan said Richard Curran was supposed to be on:confused:

The Frontline went down the tabloid route, when Questions and Answers was broadsheet. I think that was a factor in the decision to read out the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Usual politician nonscence alright, just like in UK where Tories accuse BBC of left bias and Labour accuse them of right wing bias., Gallagher lost by his own hand anyway, end of story.

Yes and he was as much a part of Fianna Fail as Brian Cowan was. He tried to hide it and it back-fired. Those still backing him up are all associated with Fianna Fail too and they were the party of "fixers" don't forget. They got bitten in the arse and they don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Glenna f**king Lynch AGAIN. Shame, it's an interesting topic.

Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Wasn't Noel Whelan a flatmate of Sean's.

Yes he was, for a few years apparently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think this whole Tweet affair should be dismissed as a simple case of Hanlon's razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". Someone in the research department at RTÉ made a cock-up, simple as. I daresay that person has since got an utter bollicking, if not been fired so that should really be that.

Ultimately what people shouldn't forget though was Gallagher's response to the Tweet, and his replies to the staged questions. Gallagher shot himself in the foot; he didn't fall foul of some terrible RTÉ conspiracy. The pressure was turned up on his past, his mask slipped and suddenly we saw what he was trying to hide: that his past was political poison.

Every other question aimed at specific candidates would have been vetted & edited by RTE to be as hardball as possible - Gallagher wasn't being singled out, look at how Mary Davis & Norris were being treated week in , week out. But his floundering, his pathetic inability to tell a straight story about his past & constant flip-flopping was what cost him, not the facts (as it were). In that moment people instantly saw through his facade and what he'd been at pains to hide up until that point. So ultimately maybe something good came out of a bad piece of research, and for that we should be grateful

Why are the F.F. crowd so up-in-arms about the tweet lie ?
    I voted for that shower two General Elections ago on the back of their blatant lies.
    It couldn't happen to nicer people.

Here we go again, TV3 hate RTE as their main rival any excuse to get stuck into them (as a station it has a distinct right wing bias: discuss!), always comes back to not getting a share of the licence fee. Re Glenna Lynch, smart woman she acquits herself well, why all the hatred?

• Advertisement

I think this whole Tweet affair should be dismissed as a simple case of Hanlon's razor: "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". Someone in the research department at RTÉ made a cock-up, simple as. I daresay that person has since got an utter bollicking, if not been fired so that should really be that.

Ultimately what people shouldn't forget though was Gallagher's response to the Tweet, and his replies to the staged questions. Gallagher shot himself in the foot; he didn't fall foul of some terrible RTÉ conspiracy. The pressure was turned up on his past, his mask slipped and suddenly we saw what he was trying to hide: that his past was political poison.

Every other question aimed at specific candidates would have been vetted & edited by RTE to be as hardball as possible - Gallagher wasn't being singled out, look at how Mary Davis & Norris were being treated week in , week out. But his floundering, his pathetic inability to tell a straight story about his past & constant flip-flopping was what cost him, not the facts (as it were). In that moment people instantly saw through his facade and what he'd been at pains to hide up until that point. So ultimately maybe something good came out of a bad piece of research, and for that we should be grateful

Totally agree with you, btw had'nt heard of Hanlons Razor is that the 4 or 5 blade one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Noel Whelan's so desperate to not appear too FF.

RTE STILL plays the bongs at noon and again at 6 on the radio and on the tv. How can it possibly be called liberal?

Remind you of anyone!

Sean-Gallagher-0071.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Here we go again, TV3 hate RTE as their main rival any excuse to get stuck into them (as a station it has a distinct right wing bias: discuss!), always comes back to not getting a share of the licence fee. Re Glenna Lynch, smart woman she acquits herself well, why all the hatred?

Absolutely. Heir McRedmond even got a namecheck.

What the feck has the licence fee got to do with anything. The licence is for a TV for a start, not to watch RTE. Journalistic integrity doesn't have anything to do with any of this. As for his dig at Bob Collins! Low and sly. The BAI are responsible for RTE now under the Broadcasting Act 2009.

Having practised and agreed questions in the interests of continuity in live programming wasn't even discussed. These people work in TV!

Of course not a hope of a Tv3 programme mentioning that they are paying nothing (not even interest) on the €81m that they owe to what was formerly Anglo and that when they are sold by the private equity firm that currently owns them that the tax payer will no doubt be left with the burden of the write off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

We must never forget ...

whelan87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Skid wrote: »
    We must never forget ...

whelan87.jpg

:eek:

I didn't know he was one of them for real.

You learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

makes me wanna puke
    noel whelan defending his ff pal and pretending to be objective

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am assuming that Richard Curran was axed due to his work on Dragon's Den on RTÉ, the same way TV3 axed Claire Byrne when she announced she was moving to RTÉ. BTW she does a similar show on Radio 1 called the Late Debate.
    Here we go again, TV3 hate RTE as their main rival any excuse to get stuck into them (as a station it has a distinct right wing bias: discuss!)

Bar this show TV3 is the most right wing media provider in Ireland. Tabloid Thrash.

However I do think all media organisations need take a look at their editorial process. Vardarkar was on saying how you see full names of people in newspapers and if not the editor has, funny I am sure people can set up an email address under a sudonom, AFAIK VB like to ring Joe Duffy under various names and also did allot of writing to editors under different names. AFAIK people use sudonoms all the time. I can't think of any really good example of the site that purely basis its users posts on sudonoms.

• Advertisement

I believe this story is not going to go away as the people who asked some of the questions were F.F. plants too and are not squeaky clean either. Gallagher might be digging a bigger hole for himself asking for an inquiry it seems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement