Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Soon you'll have scalers for your scalers.

And then scalers for your scaler's scalers.

When will the madness end?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I was hurrying round the green today, doing an errand for work taking in the Art thats up this weekend as I went when I remembered that prolific poster about this board had stuff up there a few weeks back. Just then I passed a chap playing, what I'm presuming to be pokemon red on a green GB pocket. that wouldn't happen to be the same person I'm thinking of would it?

Master of the Universe

Did this person happen to look like Gordon Freeman?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

.........:eek:

That bastard stole my GB and game!!

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn't see our artist mod on the bus route around the park anyway.

Although the emergency crowbar was missing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did this person happen to look like Gordon Freeman?

More like Adam Savage imo

Adam+Savage+Jamie+Hyneman+2010+Creative+Arts+Mw2mcuPNDm-l.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's ok, the Free-man is not involved in the art this weekend, I had a painting commission and it absorbed all my time on the run up to it, no time to prepare for the Green. Delivered the finished work yesterday, got paid too :)

So, no half inched gameboys here!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Slightly disappointed by Mass Effect 2. The rotten combat of the first game was improved but it's still not great. However that's not my main contention. I didn't think the story was nearly as good as the first game. I think the collectors were a much worse antagonist than the excellent Saren ultimately. Still don't let that put you off it. It was still utterly enjoyable and an absolute steal for the 13 euros I spent on it.
    I could not get into the first.. Just didn't like it really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well right now I'm an advert for the evils of alcohol, jaysus I was píssed last night.
    Played a lot of Full Metal Alchamist on DS and it can only be described as a mediocre beat-em-up sprinkled with annoyingly long cut scenes, luckily enough they can be skipped:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Think it's time to resurrect the arcade and retro podcast discussion. Being the most educated person on the dole queue with no thesis to write and no sign of that changing means I've plenty of time to do it now. Have mentioned it to Dino Rex a few times and I think he'd make a good host considering he has the experience. Anyway I can do this anytime, if it's by skype I'd need an AG-13 battery for my microphone first though, anyone know where to get one?

Yep. I'm still up for it. I can record Skype calls in the radio studio.

Been super busy the past week or so... but should hopefully have more time now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retro podcast sounds good. What items do you have planned for it? General discussion? Reaction to news items? Genre chat?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Soon you'll have scalers for your scalers.

And then scalers for your scaler's scalers.

When will the madness end?!

I blame faginrs500 on YouTube. The viewers dub him the godfather of the scanline. Which essentially is true, the man knows everything there is to know about them with the added bonus of having a collection of games and consoles that would make you soil yourself.

Talking of scalers and processors, I was going to buy an XRGB-3 but the 4 is due this year apparently. I reckon it's worth waiting for the reviews on it first to see how it goes. Might be geared towards HDMI though which may be bad news for retro consoles. We shall see...

Once you get in to all that scene though it can be quite addictive. You have been warned! :)

Picking up the 3ds finally this week
    wheres the best offer if I trade my ds lite and whats the best game to get

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    Picking up the 3ds finally this week
    wheres the best offer if I trade my ds lite and whats the best game to get

Just go to your local and force them to give you a good price, if they don't then hold out on them.
    also I wouldn't trade in a DS lite due to the fact it's probably the best console ever made.

Well it seems that it's Castlevania's 25th birthday on Monday, happy bday to the Konami legendary title.

pdbhp wrote: »
    Just go to your local and force them to give you a good price, if they don't then hold out on them.
    also I wouldn't trade in a DS lite due to the fact it's probably the best console ever made.
    b..b...but my 3ds would be able to do everything my lite can do and use my own home wifi:P

anyody know the trade in situation in hmv?

b..b...but my 3ds would be able to do everything my lite can do and use my own home wifi:P

slidepadofficial530pxheaderimg.jpg

0001-TalkingCrap-ScreenGrab4.jpg

Pyongyang wrote: »
    slidepadofficial530pxheaderimg.jpg

0001-TalkingCrap-ScreenGrab4.jpg
    haha The add on doesn't really bother me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    Think it's time to resurrect the arcade and retro podcast discussion. Being the most educated person on the dole queue with no thesis to write and no sign of that changing means I've plenty of time to do it now. Have mentioned it to Dino Rex a few times and I think he'd make a good host considering he has the experience. Anyway I can do this anytime, if it's by skype I'd need an AG-13 battery for my microphone first though, anyone know where to get one?

Yep. I'm still up for it. I can record Skype calls in the radio studio.

Been super busy the past week or so... but should hopefully have more time now.
    Retro podcast sounds good. What items do you have planned for it? General discussion? Reaction to news items? Genre chat?
    Retro will get back to ye tomorrow evening about the podcast when he's free from me, he's busy making me a Japanese curry now (^w^)~<3
    ( was gonna say rainbow curry like in Harvest Moon but I thought no )

• Advertisement

0b15464c-c4ad-456a-b32e-1880cc4d8086.jpg

haha The add on doesn't really bother me:rolleyes:

3ds-region-locked.jpg

Sera wrote: »
    Retro will get back to ye tomorrow evening about the podcast when he's free from me, he's busy making me a Japanese curry now (^w^)~<3
    ( was gonna say rainbow curry like in Harvest Moon but I thought no )

rainbow-curry.jpg

3ds-region-locked.jpg
    WHY THE FACEPLAMING! :confused::P

WHY THE FACEPLAMING! :confused::P

Because the 3DS smells of bum and wee...and chips.

I wish it didn't. :(

why?:O

why?:O

Because there are -74 games out for it and the '3D' effect makes my eyeballs feel like I'm being repeatedly sat on by Brian Cowen.

If you don't own a 3DS already I'd personally wait for the imminent redesign or a Vita (because Cave have announced development for it). You'd be mad to trade in a DS Lite for a 3DS. An XL or DSi is understandable but the DS Lite is the best of the bunch by a long way.

All my own opinion of course so:

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg

Because there are -74 games out for it and the '3D' effect makes my eyeballs feel like I'm being repeatedly sat on by Brian Cowen.

If you don't own a 3DS already I'd personally wait for the imminent redesign or a Vita (because Cave have announced development for it). You'd be mad to trade in a DS Lite for a 3DS. An XL or DSi is understandable but the DS Lite is the best of the bunch by a long way.

All my own opinion of course so:

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg
    Well i cannot wait for the vita 'cause my birthday is in 10 days and I can't think of anything else to get :P I actually might get the 3ds, finish a few games, wait a few months and trade up for a vita on release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I was hoping some of you chaps might be able to advise me on geting a remote control for my old school portable telly.

Its a Sanyo 14", model no. CE14M4. I need a remote for it to get it to go to the AV channel. Most RGB equipped consoles just go right to the AV channel automatically when powered up. However, my AES and Saturn don't as they are equiped with composite and non-RGB cables respectively.

Anyway, I went on eBay to have a look for one but I can't find a proper replacement, even though there's about a million Sanyo remotes up there. I did buy a crappy little "Universal" remote recently but it didn't work.

The telly is a decade old, but the screen is excellent for retro consoles. I don't want to be bothered buying another little TV and would love to get a universal remote or a replacement or some way to get to the AV channel - when I get the AV channel by plugging in an RBG connected console, the minute I unplug the cable it just goes back to the normal channels - quite frustrating really. I really want to get my AES running on this TV but am not the brightest when it comes to AV problems. Any advice from you learned chaps would be appreciated! :o

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Why not just buy RGB cables for your Saturn and AES?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement