Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I had a read of that earlier, seems like it's one of the rarer games on the NGPC :( None on ebay or other online shops from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are you going for a specific region or are you just buying whatever takes your fancy?

How about you go for a complete Jap and I'll do EU? Someone else can do the US :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Deal! Was going to try go for a full set!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    Who remembers this bad boy?

yKrXF.jpg
    I always was intrigued by them when they showed up in catalogues.
    also ...this

Master of the Universe

Excellent!

Just watch out though, there were a crap load more Jap games released than EU ones.

Which is obviously a good thing, just makes it at least twice as hard to get a full set.

Here's the complete master list. Every game has a 'yes' beside it for Japan'. Check out all those 'no's for Europe!

http://www.neo-geo.com/pocket/

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent!

Just watch out though, there were a crap load more Jap games released than EU ones.

Which is obviously a good thing, just makes it at least twice as hard to get a full set.

Here's the complete master list. Every game has a 'yes' beside it for Japan'. Check out all those 'no's for Europe!

http://www.neo-geo.com/pocket/

Oh yeah, lump me with the most and more expensive list :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Anyone here enjoy a good migrane?

Oh and are we going for boxed and complete or any condition?

I hate that video. Yer man completely ruined my dreams of that game. I hoped one day to own it and he just ripped the piss out of it. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH the west didn't miss out on many NGPC games that were worth playing with the exception of Neo-poke, card fighters 2, Biomotor Unitron 2 and Ogre Battle. Still not seen a neo-poke but I'm sure the day it does appear is the day I'm not looking and o1s1n snaps it up :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Anyone here enjoy a good migrane?

You want a migrane? Here you go.

EVERY Friday the guy sitting beside me in work sends me a link to that video. Then proceeds to talk to me only in lines from the song.

Oh and are we going for boxed and complete or any condition?

Well if you're going for the hardest one, Japanese, then feck it, might as well go all the way and only get sealed games :D

Seriously, I'd say that's a pretty hard complete one to put together. Some of those games are probably super obscure.

Probably best to stick with EU. Boxed if you can. They're really love so they are.

I hate that video. Yer man completely ruined my dreams of that game. I hoped one day to own it and he just ripped the piss out of it. :(

Ashens rips the piss out of most things though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think it's time to resurrect the arcade and retro podcast discussion. Being the most educated person on the dole queue with no thesis to write and no sign of that changing means I've plenty of time to do it now. Have mentioned it to Dino Rex a few times and I think he'd make a good host considering he has the experience. Anyway I can do this anytime, if it's by skype I'd need an AG-13 battery for my microphone first though, anyone know where to get one?

Well if you're going for the hardest one, Japanese, then feck it, might as well go all the way and only get sealed games :D

Seriously, I'd say that's a pretty hard complete one to put together. Some of those games are probably super obscure.

Probably best to stick with EU. Boxed if you can. They're really love so they are.

I'm going to go for a full Japanese set if it kills me :P There's only 1 game on that list that wasn't released in Japan =/ Some of the Jap games were in the nice plastic cases but most of them are in the cardboard ones. I'll go for boxed where I can and loose if not!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    TBH the west didn't miss out on many NGPC games that were worth playing with the exception of Neo-poke, card fighters 2, Biomotor Unitron 2 and Ogre Battle. Still not seen a neo-poke but I'm sure the day it does appear is the day I'm not looking and o1s1n snaps it up :P

Ah yes, Magical Drop Pocket. Forgot I had that, thanks for reminding me. :pac:

/Edit - by the way, should be picking Faselei up over the weekend. Really interested in seeing what all the fuss is about!

EVERY Friday the guy sitting beside me in work sends me a link to that video. Then proceeds to talk to me only in lines from the song.

Do you live work here by any chance? :pac:

Mental_Health_Services_St._Patrick%27s_University_Hospital.jpg

/Edit - by the way, should be picking Faselei up over the weekend. Really interested in seeing what all the fuss is about!

Not played it yet but it's nice owning something that's rarer than radiant slvergun (but cheaper :P )

Master of the Universe

I'm going to go for a full Japanese set if it kills me :P There's only 1 game on that list that wasn't released in Japan =/ Some of the Jap games were in the nice plastic cases but most of them are in the cardboard ones. I'll go for boxed where I can and loose if not!

If you're considering loose Jap carts, I have Pachislot Aruze Dekahel lying about if you want it? It's the only unboxed game I have and it'll probably get lost as it's so small. I also can't figure out how to get passed all the menus to play the damn thing :D
    Do you live work here by any chance? :pac:

You scoff, but I'm telling you. Come next Friday you'll be singing that and cursing me at the same time!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not played it yet but it's nice owning something that's rarer than radiant slvergun (but cheaper :P )

Actually something I meant to ask, any idea if it has a save feature? I wonder does the battery need changing?

If you're considering loose Jap carts, I have Pachislot Aruze Dekahel lying about if you want it? It's the only unboxed game I have and it'll probably get lost as it's so small. I also can't figure out how to get passed all the menus to play the damn thing :D

Yeah defo, drop me a PM and we can work summat out!

I've been looking up some cables and connectors for my home theatre setup and just had to share these. Don't think I'll be springing for a a few 12ft pairs of these for my rear speakers. :eek:

http://www.pearcable.com/sub_products_anjou_sc.htm

...and I quote:
    "... way better than anything I have heard...Simply put these are very danceable cables. Music playing through them results in the proverbial foot-tapping scene with the need or desire to get up and move. Great swing and pace—these cables smack that right on the nose big time."

bs.jpg?w=280&h=280

• Advertisement

Actually something I meant to ask, any idea if it has a save feature? I wonder does the battery need changing?

All Neo Geo pocket games have flash sram so no need for batteries. I've heard reports that the CR battery is needed to save since some people think games are saved on the console but I'm pretty sure it's flash based SRAM.

Master of the Universe

12 foot pair - $7250 :eek:

And here I am happy with my €5 RCA cables! I've obviously been missing out.

12 foot pair - $7250 :eek:

That's nothing. Just found these Siltech Emperor Crown bad boys. 2m speaker cables at $40,000 per pair.

You want interconnects with those cables?

Yours for just $17,500 per pair.

http://www.innerearmag.com/reviews/cables/Siltech_Emperor.shtml

I (quietly) enjoy the frills and spills of being a 'bit' of an audio and videophile but flippin' heck that's just utter robbery.

Glass toslinks look cute though, might have to search for some cheapy ones.

By the way, you'll probably want some speakers to go with all that expensive speaker cable right? Here's a nice set of Transmission Audio Ultimate's. Yours for a handsome $2,000,000.

http://www.transmissionaudio.com/images/Transmission_Audio_ULTIMATE.pdf

In 'sort of reference to the above, I wonder when we'll see these in Ireland?

Recession? What recession?

For the record I was in the Burj Kalifah recently and never saw one so it must have only been installed there recently...or the whole stupid idea never took off.

Master of the Universe

Funnily enough, I was looking at vintage Wharfedale speakers earlier today in work to go along with my setup. A lot of them were in the UK and I was starting to think I must be mental given how much the postage would cost.

Don't feel so bad now! People be crazy.
    wrote:
    I wanted to see/hear what this cable can do for lower priced audio gear and tried it with an unconventional system arrangement: a Bel Canto S300I integrated amplifier (around 3K) connected with the above mentioned loudspeakers. Though expecting improvements, I was not prepared for the dramatic results which, in a nutshell, converted an otherwise fine audio system into high performance high-end. This authenticated the value of the cable as a signal conductor of the highest quality.

Now I'm sold! Off to the bank I go for a loan.

"the dramatic effect"...

It's utter turnip juice like this that just makes me laugh until I stop. Seriously, what a load of old plop.

That said, I've a few Monster HDMI and digital coax cables (that I got super cheap, hence I bought them) knocking around in my stash of cables along with a few cheapies and honestly I see or hear no difference. Cable shmable when it comes to HDMI. Digital coax and analog goodies I can understand (to a degree) but stupidly priced cables that send 1's an 0's are a mugs game.

Bought myself a couple of higher-end DVDO video processors though this month (in the mail presently). One for HDMI goodness in the living area and one to use with my consoles. Those are certainly worth the investment though, especially retro consoles to plasma and lcd displays.

Master of the Universe

It's utter turnip juice like this that just makes me laugh until I stop. Seriously, what a load of old plop.

Indeed. I can get another dramatic effect without the need of $40,000 cables. All you have to do is turn the volume up really high really quickly. Fairly dramatic.
    That said, I've a few Monster HDMI and digital coax cables (that I got super cheap, hence I bought them) knocking around in my stash of cables along with a few cheapies and honestly I see or hear no difference. Cable shmable when it comes to HDMI. Digital coax and analog goodies I can understand (to a degree) but stupidly priced cables that send 1's an 0's are a mugs game.

Couldn't agree with you more! I was recently looking up RCA cables on ebay and the amount of 'Gold plated! bling tastic!' ****e selling for a fortune was unreal. From most of the opinions I've read, it's meant to make bugger all difference in realistic terms. I can't say I noticed either. Pretty sure the HDMI cable I'm using to connect my 360 to the tv came from the €2 shop.
    Bought myself a couple of higher-end DVDO video processors though this month (in the mail presently). One for HDMI goodness in the living area and one to use with my consoles. Those are certainly worth the investment though, especially retro consoles to plasma and lcd displays.

You're mad for those scalers and video processors aren't ya? :P

Now I'm sold! Off to the bank I go for a loan.

"and what do you need the loan for?"

"Err, a cable"

"....."

"and what do you need the loan for?"

"Err, a cable"

"....."

..."Everybody be cool this is a robbery! I've a plastic bag here and I want all your Chord Company, Pear, QED and Siltech cables and interconnectors. You can keep your wallets and phones, I just want your cables!"

• Advertisement

You're mad for those scalers and video processors aren't ya? :P

Aye. I think I just bought a third one without realizing too. Hah!

But see devices like that are worth the investment because they actually make an improvement to your existing equipment. Cables on the other hand just connect and transport information, there's no improvement made anywhere except shielding older analog outs and ins, which granted has been proven to make a justifiable improvement.

Digital cables just work. End of. And if anyone tells you otherwise then they are a complete bell end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement