Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sera wrote: »
    because I found it, said may as well post it,
    ages ago we were talking about phone covers (Andrew might remember lol) on the GRD (not SoGRD)

Did this make anyone else automatically think of Tron?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DLC is worthless in general. I can't think off the top of my head of many that are truly worth paying for (even Mushimesama Black Label was expensive at 1200 points or whatever it was). Apparently the Bioshock 2 single player one is good, though.

I heard Minerva's Den is really good as well. Well at least Mass Effect 2 is a game I enjoyed so much that I got the DLC for it, the only other game I did that with was Fallout 3 which for me had DLC that was well worth playing, in particular The Pitt. Seems that it's usually designed by a 'B-team'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,596 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Has anyone played the New Vegas add ons? Are they any good?

I had a real urge to play a Fallout game last night but couldn't bring myself to start 3 or New Vegas from the beginning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh, you just reminded me I spent hours getting Fallout 1 up and running one evening and then promptly forgot to actually play it :o

One of these days. Although given the release schedule for the next few months, might be a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DLC is worthless in general. I can't think off the top of my head of many that are truly worth paying for (even Mushimesama Black Label was expensive at 1200 points or whatever it was). Apparently the Bioshock 2 single player one is good, though.

I mourn for the inevitable day when Gears of War 3's fantastic multiplayer is soured by the introduction of premium maps. Le sigh.
    The Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta (?? The Alien abduction one) was good .
    although to be honest I hate the whole DLC thing .It were all full expansions or free mods back in my day.If DLC was rife back in the PS1 games I reckon the likes of Tekken and ridgeracer wouldnt have had half as many lovely unlockables like Tekken ball or Tekken Force .(Actually Namco arent too bad in this day and age , but I'd be curious to see if anything is "held back" for DLC on Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

• Advertisement

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Did this make anyone else automatically think of Tron?
    I've been looking at pinouts for the last few days , all I saw was GRounD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Fallout 3 Mothership Zeta (?? The Alien abduction one) was good .
    although to be honest I hate the whole DLC thing .It were all full expansions or free mods back in my day.If DLC was rife back in the PS1 games I reckon the likes of Tekken and ridgeracer wouldnt have had half as many lovely unlockables like Tekken ball or Tekken Force .(Actually Namco arent too bad in this day and age , but I'd be curious to see if anything is "held back" for DLC on Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

I don't really mind cosmetic or optional (well, all DLC is optional) DLC. If a wealthy schmuck individual wants to buy their completely unnecessary costumes for Street Fighter IV, more power to them. Even single player stuff is grand, unless it's been purposefully cut out of the game - the Assassin's Creed 2 ones were beyond obnoxious, and the Dead Space 2 mini-campaign mere weeks after release was also a little suspect.

It's map packs that need to die in a fire. The ones that split a community between the haves and haves nots. Not everyone plays online enough to warrant purchasing them. If I want a quick, casual game of Halo: Reach or Modern Warfare 2 a few months after release, I can't jump straight in because map packs have meant the community have migrated to the new maps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

(Actually Namco arent too bad in this day and age , but I'd be curious to see if anything is "held back" for DLC on Tekken Tag Tournament 2)

Eh, the star wars characters in Soul Calibur 4 and take a look at the DLC list for Tales of Vesperia where you can buy gold and experience points.

Master of the Universe

Excellent, just got a confirmation that Xenoblade Chronicles has been posted.

Now I'm off to laugh at all the ebay recent ended auctions which look like this :D -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Nintendo-Wii-Sealed-Sold-Out-/300597519219?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item45fd022373

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

ondafly wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to trouble shoot my Bubble Bobble PCB, and when I finally give up - I'll be sending it to Jochen from www.arcadeforge.de, heres his youtube channel which shows some repair work. Also on his blog, hes done fairly long posts about repairing games etc

Got in contact with someone on http://www.ukvac.com/
    Whats wrong with your bubble bobble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭ondafly

Got in contact with someone on http://www.ukvac.com/
    Whats wrong with your bubble bobble?

see here http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17325

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 DLC really isn't worth the money. Not bad, but I could have lived without it. Even the Shadow Broker DLC which was hyped up was a big disappointment. Another case of Giant Bomb getting it wrong.

It's pretty much the only DLC I've ever gotten. I liked the car chase bit a lot in Shadow Broker...

Overlord has some pretty cool creepy moments as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh, the star wars characters in Soul Calibur 4 and take a look at the DLC list for Tales of Vesperia where you can buy gold and experience points.

true.The format 'exclusive' characters were added in later in the yearas DLC
    Tales of Vesperia? thought it was a moped based Role playing game , but a google says its another Jrpg so(and I dont do JRPGs) .....no idea

On the other hand Tekken 6 had a ton of unlockables included on the disk , instead of being held back for DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent, just got a confirmation that Xenoblade Chronicles has been posted.

Now I'm off to laugh at all the ebay recent ended auctions which look like this :D -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenoblade-Chronicles-Nintendo-Wii-Sealed-Sold-Out-/300597519219?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item45fd022373

Nintendo are really out of touch with gamers these days. Not printing enough copies of this and distrubuting it so poorly is a joke. They really are messing up EVERYTHING at the minute - Wii U looks.... meh, and not due out till late next year, the 3DS add-on is appallling, there's nothnig out on the Wii for months, and not releasing those Rainfall RPGs in the US is insane.

Dear oh dear. Also - apparently it was too expensive to put in an online mode into N64 port Star Fox 64 3D.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-21-why-star-fox-64-3d-isnt-online

Really, a tarted-up port of a 13 year old N64 game. And its full price. And its too expensive to put in an online mode into a project that cost Nintendo far less than say, making a Gears of War game, which is the same price as Star Fox.

Unbelievable.

1cqXi.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    1cqXi.png
    308705_2453054167215_1277863976_3007156_762839131_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

tumblr_ks0znkQWFX1qa3i8u

I've gone full nerd. Hadmy first experience of a D&D type game yesterday and I enjoyed it :(

Master of the Universe

Is there no end to your depravity?

I wish to take a diplomacy roll on my D20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Remember being on the train to Dublin before and a girl sat down next to me, had a bag she finished knitting and then started rolling D&D dice.
    Im pretty sure that nearly scared me as much as the guy in an overcoat looking around constantly and holding a backpack tight to his chest.

Master of the Universe

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Remember being on the train to Dublin before and a girl sat down next to me, had a bag she finished knitting and then started rolling D&D dice.
    Im pretty sure that nearly scared me as much as the guy in an overcoat looking around constantly and holding a backpack tight to his chest.

By the sounds of things it was quite possibly Retr0 who sat beside you.

Did 'she' also smell of freshly baked cakes?

Myself and my friends were curious to try Dungeons & Dragons one time. We went looking for a starter pack or whatever, but the books were crazy expensive and you needed two or three of them. And they didn't even come with the dice. So we went and did something less nerdy instead, like playing Magic the Gathering.

So yeah, screw you Wizards of the Coast.

Myself and my friends were curious to try Dungeons & Dragons one time. We went looking for a starter pack or whatever, but the books were crazy expensive and you needed two or three of them. And they didn't even come with the dice. So we went and did something less nerdy instead, like playing Magic the Gathering.

So yeah, screw you Wizards of the Coast.

cough *pdf* cough.

I was playing a game called Fiasco on Sunday and it's a huge amount of fun.

The whole thing plays out like a Cohen brothers film. So each player has a character that wants something and has a connection to 2 other players characters. Once you have all that worked out you collectively play out the scenes and the plot develops form there and it actually works really well.

It always amazes me how many weird boards games have come out that I've never heard of and how diverse they are. The most exotic I've played was Settlers of Catan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to play MERPs and a bit of AD&D in college, some 20 years ago.
    Also played some Battletech, the gaming space Mechwarrior is a part of and that the PC games captured very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I just had a 10 year old child trying to sell me a SNES for 100 euro. Nice try, little git. I politely declined, and pointed him (or well, his mother) toward Adverts.ie. He's either going to get his 100 or get bargained into reconsidering his choices in life.

Master of the Universe

By any chance does this kid enjoy a packet of Tayto crisps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well for a snes I might see what he thinks of a packet of Walkers Sensations!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement