Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Muckyboots wrote: »
    APB did rule against the Velo cycle promotors who insisted that it was exempt. It isn't. The promotors being a local authority surely knew that but tried to behave like bullies instead. Both you and I know that APB will be ruling on it again, for sure. ;)

It's going to take forever to reach Letterkenny at this rate. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's going to take forever to reach Letterkenny at this rate. :(
    Two rams bucking in a field while the ladies quietly leave - out the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

loyatemu wrote: »

I'm just back from a week in Holland and having seen what they have there, my attitude to pretty much every cycling project here is "just bloody get on with it".

They have cycle paths running through forests, across country between towns and villages, along rivers and canals. As far as I can see, environmental armageddon has not resulted from having cyclists passing nearby to nature

Did you notice that whether going through farmers' fields, along the top of a dyke or along a road every cycling surface was asphalt/concrete? Not an iota of gravel or dust and that doesn't seem to have resulted in environmental armgeddon either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

holly8 wrote: »

Does the velorail project rule out the possibility of a greenway from colooney to tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Does the velorail project rule out the possibility of a greenway from colooney to tuam?

Afaik there's an petition asking for the greenway to be run alongside the velorail route butdepending on what happens re planning it may not be necessary. Only a side-issue for now because Mayo co co dont support the Greenway in any case so there's a bigger issue.

Collooney Bellaghy has the support of Sligo Co Co and Milltown/Tuam/Athenry Quiet Man Greenway appears to now have support of Galway Co Co for the feasibility study at least but how one will get from Sligo to Galway without going through Mayo remains a mystery

• Advertisement

Why are Mayo Co Co against it when they have several other greenways doing very well?

What sort of clientelle are going to use the velorail - families? Is Kiltimagh the start/end point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

holly8 wrote: »
    The project ran overbudget by €147,000 because of unforeseen problems, such as subsidence to the railway line.
    This for a paltry Velorail on a small section of the line. And some still think that the line could be reused as a railway! It clearly has to be entirely rebuilt at a cost of €X00,000,000 and even then it would still have the same meandering route limiting speeds and serving nowhere in particular.

Why are Mayo Co Co against it when they have several other greenways doing very well?
    I assume that the opposition are those near said greenways doing very well who don't want other greenways diluting their success and these delusional people who believe that reinstating the railway is feasible and that it will bring some economic benefits to the area (they are wrong on both counts).
    What sort of clientelle are going to use the velorail - families? Is Kiltimagh the start/end point?
    "Tourists" apparently - 30,000 of them per year. It will be of little or no use to locals though. According to their website (https://www.ird-kiltimagh.ie/tourism/velorail/) it is 6km either side of Kiltimagh. Of course, the more successful it is, the less enjoyable it will be as someone is going to have to lift the thing off the track when people going in different directions meet. I doubt they will get many repeat visitors.

It doesn't look a good idea. Kiltimagh is also a struggling rural town with little facilities wanted by tourists.

At least a greenway would give the locals a safe place to walk, run and cycle and a safe place for children. That greenway between Colooney and Tuam should be done. It would open up the north west to tourism too.

Tourists would stay longer too if they had a variety of greenways to cycle and could stay in local bnbs reviving rural areas. It is a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

It doesn't look a good idea. Kiltimagh is also a struggling rural town with little facilities wanted by tourists.

At least a greenway would give the locals a safe place to walk, run and cycle and a safe place for children. That greenway between Colooney and Tuam should be done. It would open up the north west to tourism too.

Tourists would stay longer too if they had a variety of greenways to cycle and could stay in local bnbs reviving rural areas. It is a no brainer really.

It seems like a somewhat desperate attempt to 'keep the rails down' if i'm honest, it doesn't hold much hope for a renewal of the railway line especially if it becomes an 'island' of rails between the Quiet Man greenway and the Sligo greenway....

Greenways can still protect a railway alignent from encroachment, but my personal view, as a big fan of rail transit, is that if you want a functional railway in Ireland, build a brand new alignment that can easily be/default dualled and make it suitable for high speed upgrading, the victorian era lines will always struggle to keep up with modern needs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I am at a loss as to what a 'velorail' vehicle is.

Is it basically a four wheeled cycle with seating for two or more passengers, each with pedals. This is for use on a single track railway that has rotten sleepers, and rubbish ballast having been not maintained for 50 years.

Now if I am right as above, what happens when Joe and Mary, travelling north, meet Sean and Anne travelling south? Do they lift off their vehicle to allow the other to pass, or do they argue as to who should do that? What happens if one wants to stop for a picnic? Why does it have to be on rails if it is basically a cycle? Surely it would be better on rubber tyres and a tarmac surface - you know - like a green way. If that approach was used, then when J&M met S&A, they just wave to each other as they pass.

It sounds as daft as the cable car in Dublin idea that surfaced during the Celtic Tiger era. Even that had a slight element of sense, just short of utter nonsense.

There is no sense in the velorail idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I am at a loss as to what a 'velorail' vehicle is.

you could google it, plenty of pictures there. It's not a new idea, they already exist in (as the name suggests) France.

(this is not in anyway an expression of support for the project)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

if you want a functional railway in Ireland, build a brand new alignment that can easily be/default dualled and make it suitable for high speed upgrading, the victorian era lines will always struggle to keep up with modern needs.
    Indeed.

Scandalous that the old line between Limerick and Galway was re-built, resulting in a train that is slower than the bus, and that doesnt serve Shannon Airport or Clarinbridge.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    Indeed.

Scandalous that the old line between Limerick and Galway was re-built, resulting in a train that is slower than the bus, and that doesnt serve Shannon Airport or Clarinbridge.
    The benefit cost ratio for the old line was ropey enough without trying to construct a brand new alignment which would have been prohibitive.

Now if I am right as above, what happens when Joe and Mary, travelling north, meet Sean and Anne travelling south? Do they lift off their vehicle to allow the other to pass, or do they argue as to who should do that? What happens if one wants to stop for a picnic? Why does it have to be on rails if it is basically a cycle? Surely it would be better on rubber tyres and a tarmac surface - you know - like a green way. If that approach was used, then when J&M met S&A, they just wave to each other as they pass.
    They usually operate on the principle that those on the outward leg of the journey get out of the way of those on the return journey. I don't see how it would be anyway enjoyable and, as I said, the more people it attracts, the more time you spend lifting the bloody thing out of the way. Starting at Kiltimagh and with 6km of track in both directions, I can see a lot of people doing one leg and getting back to Kiltimagh but not bothering with the other leg as it is too much hassle. It is also not a good amenity for those with physical impairments.

Like you say, a greenway would allow for similar type cycles, as well as the rest of the community regardless of physical limitations but the militants here think that those rails are more important than people.

I wonder would the velorail attract the wrong type too, teenagers bored and acting the maggot on it.

The one above occupies both tracks so I wonder how you operate the traffic both ways? You would have to have a 2nd track in an oval formation. What happens if a group decides to abandon their carriage half way down the line?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

you could google it, plenty of pictures there. It's not a new idea, they already exist in (as the name suggests) France.

(this is not in anyway an expression of support for the project)

I did google it and all I got was pictures of four wheel cycles mounted on rails. They appear to have no advantage over similar cycles with rubber wheels that run on tarmac, but have significant disadvantages, like they cannot overtake or get out of the ones coming against them.

I thing Segways would be a better idea.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g4241714-d4232962-Reviews-Velorail-Eyzerac_Dordogne_Nouvelle_Aquitaine.html

The above is a tripadvisor link with reviews on one in France. It seems to have volunteers running it and the carriages are turned around at either end every hour. A few mentioning the lack of seat belts for children and insurance, etc.

To me it would be a once off thing to do. It sounds noisy and if you come behind a slow carriage it is tough luck.

Here's what it says in describing that attraction:
    #1 of 1 things to do in Eyzerac
    :D

Why does it have to be on rails if it is basically a cycle? Surely it would be better on rubber tyres and a tarmac surface - you know - like a green way. If that approach was used, then when J&M met S&A, they just wave to each other as they pass.
    Why does it have to be on rails? Because steel wheels good, rubber tyres bad.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    The benefit cost ratio for the old line was ropey enough without trying to construct a brand new alignment which would have been prohibitive.
    Thank you for making my point - which is that if they weren't going to buld a new alignment, the 100 million could have been far better spent on something else.

And I woudn't have had a problem if that 100 million was ring-fenced for rail - Double-tracking Portarlington->Athlone would have been a good place to start spending it, and it would still have served the whole of the West Of Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jeez, that is what Velorail is!!!!! I'd assumed it was an actual train. That is absolutely crazy stuff, like straight out of Father Ted.

Reminds me if those drinking, hen party "bikes" you see going around Dublin City Center.

If that is what they are doing, then it should definitely be a greenway. Much more useful for walkers and cyclists and they could rent out multi-person bikes like they have at Malahide Castle:

35925237_1796260517131269_6711104726072557568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=81870f74fc20dbbd0449d3dc98524b9c&oe=5D60CED2

bk wrote: »
    Jeez, that is what Velorail is!!!!! I'd assumed it was an actual train. That is absolutely crazy stuff, like straight out of Father Ted.

Reminds me if those drinking, hen party "bikes" you see going around Dublin City Center.

If that is what they are doing, then it should definitely be a greenway. Much more useful for walkers and cyclists and they could rent out multi-person bikes like they have at Malahide Castle:

35925237_1796260517131269_6711104726072557568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=81870f74fc20dbbd0449d3dc98524b9c&oe=5D60CED2

Those cycles could be exactly what Velorail should be - as they do not have the requirement for a rail. They could even pass one another without having to get off the cycle, lift the cycle off the rail, allow the others to pass, then lift the cycle back on the rail, making sure it is on right, and then get back on. If it was busy, like more than a few, I think it would be a disastrous experience. In a six km stretch, you could only tolerate about three other cycles on the route.

Someone has not done the sums on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

First insurance claim will take out the Velorail and then we can have heavy rail all the way from Athenry to Letterkenny.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Added a completed section of Cycleway from Abbeyknockmoy to the M17 completed as part of the M17 works to my map, was driving down that way at the weekend.

If you know of anything of similar quality anywhere in the country, please let me know about them, they may not be "Scenic" but they are separated, good quality cycle links that could provide vital links to towns along a greater greenway and contribute to linking up a fantastic network, for example, this one crosses the route of the proposed 'Quiet man greenway', providing a link to Abbeyknockmoy.

Extension along the route could link in to Claregalway and a potential cycling commute corridor for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Added a completed section of Cycleway from Abbeyknockmoy to the M17 completed as part of the M17 works to my map, was driving down that way at the weekend.

If you know of anything of similar quality anywhere in the country, please let me know about them, they may not be "Scenic" but they are separated, good quality cycle links that could provide vital links to towns along a greater greenway and contribute to linking up a fantastic network, for example, this one crosses the route of the proposed 'Quiet man greenway', providing a link to Abbeyknockmoy.

Extension along the route could link in to Claregalway and a potential cycling commute corridor for Galway.

Just looking at the map - the "Kilgobbet greenway" in South Dublin already exists (it's marked as proposed on the map).

It's a series of shared paths through a number of parks, a nice quiet alternative to the N11.

Just looking at the map - the "Kilgobbet greenway" in South Dublin already exists (it's marked as proposed on the map).

It's a series of shared paths through a number of parks, a nice quiet alternative to the N11.

Thanks! Updated it. An awful lot of these dont get much of a press mention, or just open with zero fanfare, so its very hard to update them without physically going there and checking it out....

Added a completed section of Cycleway from Abbeyknockmoy to the M17 completed as part of the M17 works to my map
    Fantastic work on your map. Can I request that you (re-add) the link to it when you're posting about updates to it? I keep forgetting where it is! (And keep forgetting to bookmark it too!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fantastic work on your map. Can I request that you (re-add) the link to it when you're posting about updates to it? I keep forgetting where it is! (And keep forgetting to bookmark it too!).

Yes, perhaps Sam could edit the first post in this thread and add a link to it there. A fantastic resource.

Advertisement