Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

bk wrote: »
    Yes, perhaps Sam could edit the first post in this thread and add a link to it there. A fantastic resource.
    Done!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

marno21 wrote: »
    Done!

Brilliant :D Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

serfboard wrote: »
    Fantastic work on your map. Can I request that you (re-add) the link to it when you're posting about updates to it? I keep forgetting where it is! (And keep forgetting to bookmark it too!).

Perhaps you might look at riddlinrussel's sig.

It is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Aww you guys are making me blush! :P

Feel free to critique, offer suggestions of other routes and of course, provide any updates!

Its been suggested I make it available as an openstreetmap layer, having looked at openstreetmap, I feel I lack the expertise to incorporate it as a feature, I also feel that this map is more of a 'wouldn't it be nice' that tries to inform, rather than having specific merit for cartography. If someone wants to grab my GPX files and try to incorporate it into an amazing OSM layer then please feel free to!

So far I have kept greenways along rivers to a minimum (Shannon, Barrow, Lagan) primarily because they are established 'blueways' or have trails/towpaths already.

Personally I think rivers are a tough call, they could provide a fantastic series of links across the country. But I think the environmental cost of it would be, in most cases, far too high to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@ riddlinrussell

Looks like the pre-1925 railway map of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think you can colour the Royal Canal from Hill of Down to Moyvalley as complete. Cycled it last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

flazio wrote: »
    I think you can colour the Royal Canal from Hill of Down to Moyvalley as complete. Cycled it last Saturday.

It was weird while work was going on. Cycled from Mullingar towards Enfield in March, came to a hump -back bridge road junction, Old Brown Royal Canal sign pointed down a ravine, there was clearly work going on on one side next to rail line if I remember rightly but no diversion signs. We cycled into Enfield on the old N4, luckily there was a hard-shoulder but the noise and speed of traffic was phenomenal after the peace of the greenway.

I saw a tour being advertised all the way to Clondra so is it all open from Maynooth now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Moyvalley to Enfield is nowhere near ready yet. If you are heading east, once you get to Fureys bar, you will have to cross the bridge and go down a ramp on the railway side to get under the old N4 via the same arch as the trains. Ramp is only just been put in and no surface has been put down yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »
    @ riddlinrussell

Looks like the pre-1925 railway map of Ireland.
    "1925" is the key element of your quote.

Pretty much! The old railway lines are a key resource for turning into greenways, flat, passing through a good number of towns for stop offs and tourism, often with awesome bits of infrastructure along them that can be marketed as a draw to the route, and regularly passing through some of the most epic scenery in Ireland (If I can cycle Letterkenny to Burtonport on a greenway before I die I'll be a happy man).

Couple that with canalside routes along all our canals, including the defunct ones (Which, given sufficient interest in the routes 'could' be reopened), and segregated cycleways linking towns near a route, and city cycleway spiderwebs, and you just might be able to travel the length and breadth of the country without putting pedal on any road bigger than a local access.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Few mistakes in the North Strand area. Bike lane along royal canal to North Strand Road is underway. Part from grand canal along Sam Beckett bridge is complete.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Few mistakes in the North Strand area. Bike lane along royal canal to North Strand Road is underway. Part from grand canal along Sam Beckett bridge is complete.

From the Liffey up to North Strand? fantastic! A vital section to link the route to the city centre that one. Couldn't find any route with a dedicated cycleway from grand canal dock to the Liffey, although missing out the cycleway across Beckett bridge was a bit of a brain fart on my part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/plans-for-river-dodder-greenway-to-be-revealed-1.3889665

The words "cyclists" and "loggerheads" seem to be inseparable these days. Yet again, some high-stool urban engineering going on when the concept just needs to be delivered with the basic safety needs dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Muckyboots wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/plans-for-river-dodder-greenway-to-be-revealed-1.3889665

The words "cyclists" and "loggerheads" seem to be inseparable these days. Yet again, some high-stool urban engineering going on when the concept just needs to be delivered with the basic safety needs dealt with.
    I read that article as NIMBYism - pure and simple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

From the Liffey up to North Strand? fantastic! A vital section to link the route to the city centre that one. Couldn't find any route with a dedicated cycleway from grand canal dock to the Liffey, although missing out the cycleway across Beckett bridge was a bit of a brain fart on my part...

In fairness the part from GCD to the Liffey uses quiet streets and there is no dedicated cycleway. However it's considered by the Gov to be complete!

Sligo Greenway promo

https://youtu.be/yP6Me4JtyfY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

riddlinrussell — would you consider adding your KML data on completed cycleways/greenways to OpenStreetMaps?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=9/53.3907/-6.8307&layers=C

MJohnston wrote: »
    riddlinrussell — would you consider adding your KML data on completed cycleways/greenways to OpenStreetMaps?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=9/53.3907/-6.8307&layers=C

I made a comment on this on the previous page actually! Quoted below
    Its been suggested I make it available as an openstreetmap layer, having looked at openstreetmap, I feel I lack the expertise to incorporate it as a feature, I also feel that this map is more of a 'wouldn't it be nice' that tries to inform, rather than having specific merit for cartography. If someone wants to grab my GPX files and try to incorporate it into an amazing OSM layer then please feel free to!

Essentially a lot of the info isn't "exact" either, there's a few routes where I just drew straight lines because there's no clear route at present....

The Fitzwilliam Street cycleway isn't on your map.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Funding announcement for Tralee-Fenit greenway 'imminent'

https://www.radiokerry.ie/tralee-fenit-greenway-funding-imminent/

Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Funding announcement for Tralee-Fenit greenway 'imminent'

https://www.radiokerry.ie/tralee-fenit-greenway-funding-imminent/

Fantastic stuff.

Today's main headline

Councillor seeking re-election says he thinks something good will maybe happen sometime soon....hopefully

Genuine question - any evidence anecdotal or otherwise of the number of buggie pushers and wheelchair users using any of the existing greenways?

Genuine question - any evidence anecdotal or otherwise of the number of buggie pushers and wheelchair users using any of the existing greenways?

Genuine question — would it matter if none were?

I can only speak about the Athlone greenway but I passed about a few buggies and prams the last time I used it. Didn't see any wheelchair users though.

Did see a lot of families with small kids cycling on it though and a butt load of walkers

Genuine question — would it matter if none were?

The people behind the East Coast Greenway are making a big deal about how the proposed route will be on the level and great for buggies and wheelchair users. I really can't see the demand myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

The people behind the East Coast Greenway are making a big deal about how the proposed route will be on the level and great for buggies and wheelchair users. I really can't see the demand myself.

It doesn't have to be that perfectly level once it is wheelchair accessible. I can mostly only comment on the Athlone greenway too most of the buggy walkers are confined to within a mile or two of the towns and access points. I have met one man who does fairly long runs on it with a buggy though. Never met any one in a wheelchair on it but I know one hand-cyclist who uses it occasionally the gates at crossings are very tight for him but he wouldn't care about it being level he'd cycle up nearly any hill an able body cyclists could. The gate's are tight too if you are carrying panniers or pulling a child trailer.

Ah, I figured it would be something like that. There doesn't need to be a huge demand to make things accessible to all.

Ah, I figured it would be something like that. There doesn't need to be a huge demand to make things accessible to all.

Aye, accessibility isn't about demand, it's just about accessibility

Aye, accessibility isn't about demand, it's just about accessibility

So it's okay to wreck an unspoilt wilderness - with an existing footpath - by turning it into a greenway to provide access for the one crazed wheelchair user/buggie pusher that may wish to use it once in a lifetime. PC gone mad but we are where we are. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So it's okay to wreck an unspoilt wilderness - with an existing footpath - by turning it into a greenway to provide access for the one crazed wheelchair user/buggie pusher that may wish to use it once in a lifetime. PC gone mad but we are where we are. :rolleyes:

PC gone mad? Oh do **** off

The Greenway is being provided for many other purposes, as well you know.

Crazed wheelchair user? It's wonderful to know that the people who oppose greenways aren't just stupid, but that they're genuinely horrible individuals too. Makes it far easier to ignore.

Advertisement