Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Chargers were the only team fighting for the playoffs and even then they needed other results to go their way. And guess what the Chargers won the game and sacked Tebow 3 times and picked him off twice.

So again you want to talk nonsense keep it up but the way I see it the Chargers playoff hopes were in the hand of others and they made Tebow look average at best. This was the worst of his 3 games.

So you keep digging holes with your Tebow man love.

Chargers were out of play-off contention in the last game of the season. Oaklad were the only team who had play-offs hopes when they played Denver with three games to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Chargers were out of play-off contention in the last game of the season. Oaklad were the only team who had play-offs hopes when they played Denver with three games to go.

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes the Tebow argument look even worse. I thought it was the Chargers when I looked at the tables but never thought of looking at the Raiders with 3 games to go. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hot damn, Orton got the job done despite a pretty weak team taking the field last night huh?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hot damn, Orton got the job done despite a pretty weak team taking the field last night huh?

pfft. Clearly the win was down to Tebows motivational pre-game and half-time speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

watch the game? he did decent but the entire 4th quarter he was giving me palpatations, fumbling deep in our own half when up 5 points and consistent 3 and outs. No blame on the run game either yesterday, we ran for 133 with mcgahee putting up 101. Nothing amazing from orton but the run game and a better than expected outing from the defence meant we held on. Fox ball for ya.

For what it's worth, Marv Lewis turned down a potentially game winning 53 yard FG and went for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter, which we stopped..

Thats the problem with orton, you see. He's seriously ineffective in the 4th quarter and when the game is within 7 points on either side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

spiralism wrote: »
    Nothing amazing from orton but the run game and a better than expected outing from the defence meant we held on. Fox ball for ya.
    Thats the problem with orton, you see. He's seriously ineffective in the 4th quarter and when the game is within 7 points on either side

AH FFS are you for real ? Maybe the fact your recieving corps so so banged up that Tebow lined up at reciever due to you being down to 3 suited up recievers might have something to do with that ????

Half the playbook was gone due to the lack of recieving options and he still managed to do enough to win. You need to take the blinkers off he did a hell of a job to get the W yesterday.

yeah because it was nothing to do with the fact that a Rookie QB was able to throw for over 300 yards with 66% completion rate and felt no pressure all game agasint the Broncos D :rolleyes:

watch the game? he did decent but the entire 4th quarter he was giving me palpatations, fumbling deep in our own half when up 5 points and consistent 3 and outs. No blame on the run game either yesterday, we ran for 133 with mcgahee putting up 101. Nothing amazing from orton but the run game and a better than expected outing from the defence meant we held on. Fox ball for ya.

For what it's worth, Marv Lewis turned down a potentially game winning 53 yard FG and went for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter, which we stopped..

That's what you need to make Orton and your team win. Solid run game, semi decent defense. Orton's a smart QB who will rarely make stupid throws and risk silly turn overs. That's huge in the nfl. Last season Orton make 498 attempts and had 9 interceptions, while Tebow attempted 80 passes and had three. Turnovers kill teams in the nfl. Even this season in the 71 passes Orton has tried he's only had 1 int.

Also, you're better off going into the 4th quarter winning with Orton then losing like you have been with Tebow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've gone back to watch this on Gamepass just now

Bengals in their opponents half on the 47.

First and ten, long pass incomplete to Jerome Simson
    Second and ten, Dalton sacked for a nine yard loss
    Third and nineteen, Dalton incomplete pass intended for Jermaine Gresham
    Fourth and nineteen, Dalton incomplete pass intended for AJ Green

So you're saying Marvin Lewis turned down a game winning field goal from the 47? That's an incredible field goal and longer then Mike Nugents career longest.
    Granted, Denver is different to other stadiums with the altitude.

And with the sack, the Bengals had no option but to go for it on fourth down.

Were we watching the same game?
    You make it sound like Marvin Lewis was incompetent. :confused:

They were not in FG range to begin with and the sack knocked them back into their own half

mikemac wrote: »

So you're saying Marvin Lewis turned down a game winning field goal from the 47? That's an incredible field goal and longer then Mike Nugents career longest.

They were not in FG range to begin with and the sack knocked them back into their own half

Exactly that would have been an NFL record 64 yard field goal prior to the sack. No HC is going to go for that on first down if he could make it closer. The sack on second ended any hopes of that.

Hes twisting things to make them fit his argument.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: That fumble was out of his hand. He was about to pull the trigger and the ball was knocked out of his hand. Nothing he or any QB can do about that. Hardly his fault.

The proof is in the picture. Nothing Orton could have done about this:

ortonfumble.jpg

D3PO wrote: »
    AH FFS are you for real ? Maybe the fact your recieving corps so so banged up that Tebow lined up at reciever due to you being down to 3 suited up recievers might have something to do with that ????

Half the playbook was gone due to the lack of recieving options and he still managed to do enough to win. You need to take the blinkers off he did a hell of a job to get the W yesterday.

No credit to Mcgahee for a great game and the shorthanded Defence for several great stops despite being gassed? I'm just saying it's ignorant to say orton won us that game himself, he did enough, fair play to him.

Delighted with the win though

mikemac wrote: »

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011091812/2011/REG2/bengals@broncos#menu=highlights&tab=recap
    second one that plays, entitled "Denver stops cincinnati on 4th and 1". 4th and 1, 36 yard line which adds up to around 50ish yards for the FG

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011091812/2011/REG2/bengals@broncos#menu=highlights&tab=recap
    second one that plays, entitled "Denver stops cincinnati on 4th and 1". 4th and 1, 36 yard line which adds up to around 50ish yards for the FG

39 yard line is a 53 yard Field Goal.

For what its worth Mike Nugent is 5-13 in Field Goals 50+ yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For what its worth Mike Nugent is 5-13 in Field Goals 50+ yards.
    And 2 from 4 last year.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And 2 from 4 last year.

5-13 career and 2-4 last year obviously not enough in the eyes of the Bungals coaches to trust him with a 53 yard possible winning kick. Besides Nugent is hardly a clutch kicker. He has had his ups and downs. And a 53 yard kick is never a given for any kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

5-13 career and 2-4 last year obviously not enough in the eyes of the Bungals coaches to trust him with a 53 yard possible winning kick. Besides Nugent is hardly a clutch kicker. He has had his ups and downs. And a 53 yard kick is never a given for any kicker.
    Agree completely. I think the chances of being successful on a 4th and 1 are a lot higher than 50%, might be wrong about that but I'd be very surprised if I was.

Agree completely. I think the chances of being successful on a 4th and 1 are a lot higher than 50%, might be wrong about that but I'd be very surprised if I was.

Decided to look at Nugents 40-49 yard kicks and honestly I would never trust this guy to win any game for me:

21-31 career and 1-3 last season.

Seems he far too hit and miss and I can see why the Bengals wouldn't put that pressure on him knowing there is at least a 50% chance he would miss. Seems like taking a shot downfield was a better option.

No credit to Mcgahee for a great game and the shorthanded Defence for several great stops despite being gassed? I'm just saying it's ignorant to say orton won us that game himself, he did enough, fair play to him.

Delighted with the win though

Did I say orton won the game On his own ? sorry chief but your the ignorant one for not recognising who is the guy most likely to deliver wins in Denver right now.

This years broncos have so many holes on defence and on the oline that honestly any wins are going to come by clever game management. That's orton he is clearly the best chance of winning games there and to be honest even then if they win 4 I'd be shocked

• Advertisement

Did I say orton won the game On his own ? sorry chief but your the ignorant one for not recognising who is the guy most likely to deliver wins in Denver right now.

This years broncos have so many holes on defence and on the oline that honestly any wins are going to come by clever game management. That's orton he is clearly the best chance of winning games there and to be honest even then if they win 4 I'd be shocked

i'd put us anywhere in the 4-6 bracket yeah(think about it, kansas twice, Miami at home, buffalo towards the end of the season, minnesota are games we could look reasonably at as having a shot in) hence my earlier argument for Tebow, i dont care if we suck initially if it means success down the line, as opposed to settling for mediocrity and many an 8-8 season in the future. I actually think we have far less holes on the Defence than last year when we get everybody fit, fwiw. Fox is easily twice the coach JmcD is, but that goes without saying....

I think that if Tebow actually turned out to be alright we could be a very good side in a season or two. If we stick with orton in the long run we wont go much further than 9-7ish, he couldnt manage any more than that on a bears team that was far more complete than what we're putting out.

We should dust off the aul playbooks from last season and bring back the wildcat package we had designed for Tebow if you ask me, seeing as orton is probably not moving from starter this year, whether i like it or not. It did the job when we used it last year!

, i dont care if we suck initially if it means success down the line, !

you dont but Fox does. His job is on the line. Like Ive said before this is a win now league.

If your John Fox and you think Orton can deliver a 6-10 season and Tebow might get you a 4-12 season then you go with Orton.

As a fan to you its the same its a losing season and no playoffs to the coach its his career.

Then as much as we hate to think about it there are potential financial reprecusions aswell.

1) You have to pay a truckload of money to Tebow in escalators whilst still paying Orton
    2) If as might well happen you "suck more" then you end up drafting earlier. Thats not always a good thing even with a rookie payscale your still hampering your paycap by having to draft higher unless you can trade down which has become surprisingly difficult in recent years.

Personally Im a Tebow fan. He was a winner in college, he believes hes the best. I dont think he is but its important to have that confidence.

I do think he can be a decent starting QB in the NFL even though I never think he will be your protypical NFL QB, but right now I dont think hes right for the starting job in Denver.

Look at Tebow in preseason versus the glimpse you got of Mike Kafka Sunday night who went two rounds further down the same draft.

Kafka looks ready to start in the NFL, his blitz reads, his quick release, his ability to sit in the pocket, his accuracy all significantly ahead of where Tebow is right now.

Tebow will get his shot eventually he just needs to wait for it like Brady, Rodgers, Kolb, Rivers etc did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

[QUOTE=D3PO;74497145
    Kafka looks ready to start in the NFL, his blitz reads, his quick release, his ability to sit in the pocket, his accuracy all significantly ahead of where Tebow is right now.
    [/QUOTE]

Ah here... I think Mike has potential but even as an Eagles fan he is nowhere near ready to start. The called some simple screen plays and then he made some nice throws but he's nowhere near the level Kolb was at this time last year when he got shafted by Reid...

on topic, Tebow had his chance during camp to earn the job. He failed at it. He's not an NFL QB then again i said the same thing about Cam and he's making a mokery of me...

what next Pryor tearing things up in Oakland...? ;)

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Ah here... I think Mike has potential but even as an Eagles fan he is nowhere near ready to start. The called some simple screen plays and then he made some nice throws but he's nowhere near the level Kolb was at this time last year when he got shafted by Reid...

on topic, Tebow had his chance during camp to earn the job. He failed at it. He's not an NFL QB then again i said the same thing about Cam and he's making a mokery of me...

what next Pryor tearing things up in Oakland...? ;)

I disagree about Kafka, and also about Kolb being shafted but lets not derail the topic.

re Cam people are getting blinded by the yards. Dont be fooled hes 0-2 and only for a flag in the first game hes be 2 TDs and 5 picks

5 picks in 83 attempts dont get fooled by the yards. Cam aint shown more than flashed of potential so far.

anywya lets get back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Le King wrote: »
    Also there is enough evidence that Orton should be benched by now for constantly crumbling under pressure but a fit Peyton Manning wouldn't be a million times better in some of the situations Orton was in with the OL being pushed badly on every play yesterday.

Not a big fan of Tebow but a lot of Brono's fan are going with him atm. Tebow will be the starting QB by week 5 IMO.

There are a number of flaws about the Tebow v Orton v Denvers Fans debate in general that most people dont ever seem to mention .

It reminds of an almost religious argument like its faith-based , that Blair went to Iraq cos god told him he was right , so he must be right , in this case the issue of being right is putting Tebow in without any evidence it will work

Denver fans frankly are fos when it comes to their QB situation. They have a terrible O-Line where there is pressure on practically any snap . While this might suit a scrambler like Tebow on some plays it will result in field-goal dominated scorelines for Denver and playing from behind with gallant losses the only result .

The current coach did not draft Tebow or Elway but a case of nervousness from the Front office might result in Tebow getting pitched in which could be great cause failure will end this debate once and for all

I disagree about Kafka, and also about Kolb being shafted but lets not derail the topic.

re Cam people are getting blinded by the yards. Dont be fooled hes 0-2 and only for a flag in the first game hes be 2 TDs and 5 picks

5 picks in 83 attempts dont get fooled by the yards. Cam aint shown more than flashed of potential so far.

You are going to have to back up those comments on Newton ...flashes of potential ..he had a record-breaking start to his first game in a narrow loss to the Cards which showed a Josh Freeman-like 4th quarter revival to narrowly fail at the Cards 5 yard line , he was accurate , good in the pocket, displayed a good arm and had good poise and Freeman was the man i thought of as i watched him along with his added athletic ability . Peyton Manning , Troy Aikman and John Elway all threw interceptions in their first starts but Newton didnt

He then went to play the Packers and threw 150 yrds in the first quarter to Steve Smith and really no-one else of significance . He had a total of 400 more yards and 2 TDs in the Packer game but Dom Capers and Woodson figured out some things from the rookie with 2 picks from Woodson and one from Burnett . Overall Newton will make mistakes and there will be inevitable lows but these arent flashes of potential , he is quite possibly ahead of Bradford in development and if he ends the season in a similar vein Newton will have accomplished a good season . Carolina was expected to lean on the running game which is on paper a class act but they have not been a huge feature so far which has heaped yet more pressure on Newton where Bradford had Jackson to lean on last season ....Newton is the real deal but slow steady progress should be the order of the day

pfft. Clearly the win was down to Tebows motivational pre-game and half-time speeches.

I think if you use the proper Right Wing terminology

"it was down to the power of prayer", Kyle Orton must feel "is it cos i am black"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

neilster wrote: »
    Peyton Manning , Troy Aikman and John Elway all threw interceptions in their first starts but Newton didnt

Wrong.

Whats actually amazing is that he got much better protection than Orton got last year. I think thats down to his ability to lead and as I've said before his intangibles cannot be underestimated. Even that time he got them in front in one of those games and runs up to the D which you never see a QB do and then they go out and pick the ball kinda just shows what a great leader can do for a team.

There are a number of Tebow fan club members in this forum but you often display the most fervency. This comment seems to be subtly saying that the team show up for Tebow and not for Orton , that Orton doesnt have the same leadership qualities as Tebow and he doesnt have the same intangibles as Orton

Some of this is frankly nonsense , a coach who brought a basement team like Carolina to the Super Bowl in John Fox isnt taken in by the Tebow stuff

and its evident the two time Super Bowl winner in Elway hasnt fallen for it either

you say what a great leader can do for a team but he has shown nothing and everyone knows that under the right circumstances and the right match-ups December in the NFL can be garbage-time . The guy cant keep his job and that is all he is achieving at present

• Advertisement

You are going to have to back up those comments on Newton ...flashes of potential ..he had a record-breaking start to his first game in a narrow loss to the Cards which showed a Josh Freeman-like 4th quarter revival to narrowly fail at the Cards 5 yard line , he was accurate , good in the pocket, displayed a good arm and had good poise and Freeman was the man i thought of as i watched him along with his added athletic ability . Peyton Manning , Troy Aikman and John Elway all threw interceptions in their first starts but Newton didnt

He then went to play the Packers and threw 150 yrds in the first quarter to Steve Smith and really no-one else of significance . He had a total of 400 more yards and 2 TDs in the Packer game but Dom Capers and Woodson figured out some things from the rookie with 2 picks from Woodson and one from Burnett . Overall Newton will make mistakes and there will be inevitable lows but these arent flashes of potential , he is quite possibly ahead of Bradford in development and if he ends the season in a similar vein Newton will have accomplished a good season . Carolina was expected to lean on the running game which is on paper a class act but they have not been a huge feature so far which has heaped yet more pressure on Newton where Bradford had Jackson to lean on last season ....Newton is the real deal but slow steady progress should be the order of the day

Advertisement