Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

neilster wrote: »
    You are going to have to back up those comments on Newton ...flashes of potential ..he had a record-breaking start to his first game in a narrow loss to the Cards which showed a Josh Freeman-like 4th quarter revival to narrowly fail at the Cards 5 yard line , he was accurate , good in the pocket, displayed a good arm and had good poise and Freeman was the man i thought of as i watched him along with his added athletic ability . Peyton Manning , Troy Aikman and John Elway all threw interceptions in their first starts but Newton didnt

He then went to play the Packers and threw 150 yrds in the first quarter to Steve Smith and really no-one else of significance . He had a total of 400 more yards and 2 TDs in the Packer game but Dom Capers and Woodson figured out some things from the rookie with 2 picks from Woodson and one from Burnett . Overall Newton will make mistakes and there will be inevitable lows but these arent flashes of potential , he is quite possibly ahead of Bradford in development and if he ends the season in a similar vein Newton will have accomplished a good season . Carolina was expected to lean on the running game which is on paper a class act but they have not been a huge feature so far which has heaped yet more pressure on Newton where Bradford had Jackson to lean on last season ....Newton is the real deal but slow steady progress should be the order of the day

Look theres a different topic for this conversation so lets try and keep it there

re your comments

he was accurate. - Hes throwing low 62.7% percent. Thats middle of the road. Its not the worst but theres work that needs to be done.

hes looked good in the pocket - Hes been sacked 8 times. 4th worst in the NFL right now. With Travaris Jackson, and Jay Cutler ahead of him. QB's that have been critisied a lot for holding onto the ball for too long and not knowing when to throw it away. He needs to either get through his reads quicker, or if the coverage is too good scramble or get out of the pocket and throw it away.

showed good poise. On occasions he has. His completion percentage on 3rd down is poor though which shows there is again an improvement needed.

look im not tearing him apart, but hes being overhyped at the same time. Were two games in yes hes thrown for over 400 yards in both of them but like I said on the other post Billy Volek has had back to back 400 yard games before. Lets just appraise his development over the season and not two games.

He may well be ahead of Bradford at the same stage but Bradford is still improving He needs to keep a good trajectory going he could hit a plateau. Lots of QBs have had good spells and are then hyped Derek Anderson was being touted as the face of Cleaveland not so long ago you cannot judge a QB on two games.

Genuinely people need to wait until the end of the season and then appraise how hes done and if hes making adequate improvements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

There are a number of flaws about the Tebow v Orton v Denvers Fans debate in general that most people dont ever seem to mention .

It reminds of an almost religious argument like its faith-based , that Blair went to Iraq cos god told him he was right , so he must be right , in this case the issue of being right is putting Tebow in without any evidence it will work

Denver fans frankly are fos when it comes to their QB situation. They have a terrible O-Line where there is pressure on practically any snap . While this might suit a scrambler like Tebow on some plays it will result in field-goal dominated scorelines for Denver and playing from behind with gallant losses the only result .

The current coach did not draft Tebow or Elway but a case of nervousness from the Front office might result in Tebow getting pitched in which could be great cause failure will end this debate once and for all

Most of it has been mentioned in this thread already. But it gets lost in among all the other nonsense.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Peyton Manning , Troy Aikman and John Elway all threw interceptions in their first starts but Newton didnt
    Wrong.

Once again Adam showing his wisdom:

Ints

Manning had 3 in his first game and 14 over his 1st 6 games

Elway had 1 in his first game and 6 over his 1st 5 games

Aikman had 2 in his first and 9 over 6 games.

Edit: Apparently I cant read from an Iphone properly. But TB is right Neilster you are wrong Newton also threw an Int in his first start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ints

He's referring to the fact that Cam Newton threw an interception in his start.

He's referring to the fact that Cam Newton threw an interception in his start.

Yup noticed that after I pressed submit :D Need to read it a few times and zoom in to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Ints

corrected see below post

It makes me laugh when someone corrects a truth with an inaccuracy .....whats the point

Correct a truth with an inaccuracy? 2 things wrong with this. 1. Your comparision with Newton and those 3 QBs was wrong in the first place. Newton threw a pick just like those 3.

2. As for correcting you? Are you saying what I threw up wasn't fact now?
    ......i can be incorrect like the best of them but it is like ...look how correct i am in comparison ..only im not ...its funny

But I was about to apologise to you but hey I think will refrain now. If you notice the edit on the original post. I noticed my error in reading your post. But hey good man. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Correct a truth with an inaccuracy? 2 things wrong with this. 1. Your comparision with Newton and those 3 QBs was wrong in the first place. Newton threw a pick just like those 3.

2. As for correcting you? Are you saying what I threw up wasn't fact now?

But I was about to apologise to you but hey I think will refrain now. If you notice the edit on the original post. I noticed my error in reading your post. But hey good man. :rolleyes:

again i had the thing written noticed my own mistake and was mid-edit when you replied

...this came from an article talking about all four QBs , Newton , Manning Elway & Aikman , from what they had said i presumed he... Newton had less TDs than in his opening start then the other three , that in fact was incorrect , he had less than Manning & Aikman but the same as Elway at 1 ...by their wording i presumed it was better than all three ie none...reading back on the match report i noticed the interception so hence mid-edit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Orton does it again: i.e. ****s up the game and folds in the fourth quarter. We shut down Johnson and held them to 17 points with hasselbeck playing an absolute blinder, but as sure as night follows day, orton throws a pick on a go-ahead drive late in the 4th.

Tebow after the bye week methinks, the cries are loud now but will be deafening going into the bye 1-4

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bring on Tebow. I'm ready for the lulz.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Bring on Tebow. I'm ready for the lulz.

let green bay pump us, then put him in against the chargers week 5. I know that's sarcasm in your post but he would have won us the game today, he wouldnt have committed more than two turnovers and would have drove us to victory as opposed to the inevitable orton pick in the final drive

spiralism wrote: »
    Orton does it again: i.e. ****s up the game and folds in the fourth quarter. We shut down Johnson and held them to 17 points with hasselbeck playing an absolute blinder, but as sure as night follows day, orton throws a pick on a go-ahead drive late in the 4th.

Tebow after the bye week methinks, the cries are loud now but will be deafening going into the bye 1-4

Once again twisting the facts of the last play to suit your own agenda. The ball was tipped by a defensive lineman nothing Orton could have done about it. Oce again blaming Orton for the failings of your whole team. Sure your defense had nothing to do with the loss right? :rolleyes:

Once again twisting the facts of the last play to suit your own agenda. The ball was tipped by a defensive lineman nothing Orton could have done about it. Oce again blaming Orton for the failings of your whole team. Sure your defense had nothing to do with the loss right? :rolleyes:

we only allowed 17 points! bend but don't break defence right there. unless you're the pittsburgh steelers/baltimore ravens, 14 points will not win many matches in today's nfl.

orton was ****ing ****e today, no excuses from even the most hardened neckbeard apologists. 2 turnovers, 14 total points, less than 5 ypa and the obligatory choke with the game on the line, what's new. laugh at tebow all you want, there is no way he'd manage only 14 points in the same game... or most games for that matter

just a crap tony romo

Giving up a lead with 4:24 left in the game and then blaming the QB for the lose after he has a ball tipped and intercepted is just lol.

Giving up a lead with 4:24 left in the game and then blaming the QB for the lose after he has a ball tipped and intercepted is just lol.

so 14 points, two TOs and choking on the final drive is a good performance, got ya. the defence was the only reason we competed, our offence is crap, i guarantee with tebow that we score more than 14 points. 4.24 is ages to lead a game winning drive, and yet again he fails. from the top of my head, here's how orton does in those situations:

@ JAX: Down 7, throws INT on game tying drive
    SF, Wembley: Down 8, orton throws a horrible pick on late tying drive to end the game.
    St Louis: Minute left, down 3, sack, 3 incompletions
    @ KC: Down 4, 3 minutes left, 3 and out.
    OAK: Down 3, drops the ball in a moment destined for ESPN's "c'mon man"
    @ TEN: Throws a pick on game winning drive

so 14 points, two TOs and choking on the final drive is a good performance, got ya. the defence was the only reason we competed, our offence is crap, i guarantee with tebow that we score more than 14 points

How do you guarentee it? Titans only gave up 13 points against the Ravens last week.

so 14 points, two TOs and choking on the final drive is a good performance, got ya. the defence was the only reason we competed, our offence is crap, i guarantee with tebow that we score more than 14 points

This made me laugh out loud. Hasselbeck opened your defense up for 300+ yards and a couple of TDs. The only pressure on him was two sacks. In fact Von Miller was really the only player on that defense that did anything. Tennessee are sh1t and you guys made them look alright, Only thing Tennessee has going for them is an alright D. Once again another example of Bronco fans living in their own delusion and rather than admit their whole team is a shambles they will sacrifice the goat.

I also hope Tebow gets his shot now because I can't wait to see you lot turn on him or make excuses for him. Broncos are most definitely the most entertaining bunch this year. :rolleyes:

i guarantee with tebow that we score more than 14 points

Quoting this for reference later on. Love when people make guarantees. :D

This made me laugh out loud. Hasselbeck opened your defense up for 300+ yards and a couple of TDs. The only pressure on him was two sacks. In fact Von Miller was really the only player on that defense that did anything. Tennessee are sh1t and you guys made them look alright, Only thing Tennessee has going for them is an alright D. Once again another example of Bronco fans living in their own delusion and rather than admit their whole team is a shambles they will sacrifice the goat.

I also hope Tebow gets his shot now because I can't wait to see you lot turn on him or make excuses for him. Broncos are most definitely the most entertaining bunch this year. :rolleyes:

bend but dont break. how many points did they score? 17. the only games last year a team scored less than that against us was seattle (easy win) and kansas (still managed to lose 10-6). Our defence is better than last year, the offence is what's crap with this team

bend but dont break. how many points did they score? 17. the only games last year a team scored less than that against us was seattle (easy win) and kansas (still managed to lose 10-6). Our defence is better than last year, the offence is what's crap with this team

As I said deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I've made my feelings on Tebow clear before but the treatment of Spiralism on here is pretty harsh tonight. Calling him deluded over and over again isn't necessary.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I've made my feelings on Tebow clear before but the treatment of Spiralism on here is pretty harsh tonight. Calling him deluded over and over again isn't necessary.

No I said Broncos fans are deluded. Not a personal attack but my opinion of Broncos fans on a whole.

No I said Broncos fans are deluded. Not a personal attack but my opinion of Broncos fans on a whole.

Well you quoted his post and wrote "as i said deluded".

Well you quoted his post and wrote "as i said deluded".

Yes and if you read my previous post I called all Broncos fans deluded. See when you take things out of context without going back to previous posts its easy to point fingers. But hey if you don't agree with my post feel free to report it.
    Once again another example of Bronco fans living in their own delusion and rather than admit their whole team is a shambles they will sacrifice the goat.

Yes and if you read my previous post I called all Broncos fans deluded. See when you take things out of context without going back to previous posts its easy to point fingers. But hey if you don't agree with my post feel free to report it.

You're still referring to the poster in all of them. Regardless i felt it was a little harsh so i pointed it out. Not really into reporting posts. Prefer a more grown up approach anyway i'm outa here.

You're still referring to the poster in all of them. Regardless i felt it was a little harsh so i pointed it out. Not really into reporting posts. Prefer a more grown up approach anyway i'm outa here.

Again as I said if you don't agree with my posts report them. I was clearly making a sweeping generalisation of all Broncos fans and you clearly took it out of context. As for the grown up approach :rolleyes:

think i might take some time out from this thread, only trying to make a perfectly legitimate opinion and myself and broncos fans in general get lambasted and called deluded.
    we just want the best for the team, the defence looks better than last years abomination, saying that the offence is a problem and that somebody who has won his whole life and can run around and make things happen as opposed to a journeyman loser who is 6-20 since the bye week of 2009 (incidentally, the last time people thought josh mcdaniels wasn't an idiot) should be playing is far from "deluded".
    rewind to the start of the thread and people are saying essentially that tebow deserves a shot and should leave denver to get it, now its deluded to say he should be given a shot in denver, which is it?

we just want the best for the team, the defence looks better than last years abomination, saying that the offence is a problem and that somebody who has won his whole life and can run around and make things happen as opposed to a journeyman loser who is 6-20 since the bye week of 2009 (incidentally, the last time people thought josh mcdaniels wasn't an idiot) should be playing is far from "deluded".

Josh McDaniels wasn't a head coach in my eyes and never will be and he reached far too high for Tebow. And he was an idiot for doing so. I don't rate McDaniels the same way other Pats fans do. He is nothing more than a QB Coach to me and even at that far too many credit McDaniels for Brady's abilities. He is good but he is not perfect, just look at the Rams.

rewind to the start of the thread and people are saying essentially that tebow deserves a shot and should leave denver to get it, now its deluded to say he should be given a shot in denver, which is it?

Those people are not me. In my eyes he had his shot and failed both last season and in camp.

As for the delusion take it whatever you will. I do think Broncos fans are deluded when it comes to the QB job in Denver. It is my opinion. Do I think you are deluded as a person or attacking you personally? No I don't. The idea of that is madness at best. But I believe Broncos fans are deluded it is that simple. If you take it personally I apologise for that but that is not what I was getting at until someone took it out of context.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

think i might take some time out from this thread, only trying to make a perfectly legitimate opinion and myself and broncos fans in general get lambasted and called deluded.
    time-out.jpg
    Time Out!

A bit of banter is expected when discussing football, but these comments are getting too personal and away from the game. Let's get back to the game please!

• Advertisement

fair enough so, sure il stick around

reverting to topic:

Denver
    Defensive stats:
    Points per game: 20.7 (13th)
    Passing yards per game: 234.7 (13th)
    Rushing yards per game: 100 (14th) (notably it's only even that low because Run DMC torched us and he could be the leagues best RB right now. Benson and CJ were shut down)
    Total yards per game: 334.7 (16th)

Offensive stats
    Points per game: 19.3 (23rd)
    Yards per game: 286.3 (27th)
    Passing yards per game: 210.3 (22nd)
    Rushing yards per game: 76 (27th)

The offence is definitely the problem, its near the bottom in every category. The defence on the other hand is average, if not even slightly above average.

on a related note, von miller is ****ing class

Advertisement