Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ok cos, I'll accept that , but I was kind of looking at the big picture, the fact that even without King , Cousins cut us apart.

We should have adequate replacements.

Anyway cos, we were robbed by the poor officiating.

The pod people seem to target House as the reason for this.

Packers seemed clumpy on offence, not smooth, not in good tempo.

Now here's the question...why the fork do good QBs put up record figures against the Packers.... at Lambeau.... has been happening way too often.

What does it tell us....... For me ...no pressure on the QB.

But who am I.
    The final td our safety/corner seemed to do his best to avoid the vikings receiver watch the play. Players are legit afraid to tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The final td our safety/corner seemed to do his best to avoid the vikings receiver watch the play. Players are legit afraid to tackle

Yes that’s how it looked, may have gotten in each other’s way though.

Lad should have been creamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Yes that’s how it looked, may have gotten in each other’s way though.

Lad should have been creamed.

Yea Brice made a complete balls of that. Hopefully the return of Josh Jones might solidify the middle

More fcuking mistakes.…………………wtf

Sack that fcuker Pettine.

Litany of errors

• Advertisement

Terrible display yesterday.... the knives are out.

As I see it it was a tired outdated inept display, which makes me think the Packers need to move on from the current Head Coach.

Packers seemed tired, sluggish, and once again a good QB ripped them apart in the first half.

Damage was done in the first half.

Penalties, drops, missed tackles, whiffs, total bolloxology.

Not looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lots of downs, but a few ups first:
    - Geronimo Allison is showing ot be an OK boundary WR. We all knew he would never be a star, but we needed someone to tide over while Moore/Brown/Valquez (hopefully) develop this year and he's doing that.

- I'm pretty quickly beginning to believe the hype about JK Scott at punter.

- Feeling a bit more vindicated on my post a bit back about Aaron Jones, the guy is liable to go for 30 any time he has the ball in his hands. Williams and Monty also did a good job as the RBs got something close to 6 yards per carry and another 68 or so catching the ball.

- Jaire Alexander has future multiple time all pro written all over him.

Now onto the rest...
    - We should have kept Ripkowski over Kendricks, he's absolutely brutal.

- Bulaga being out next week is a disaster, and Mo maybe being done for the year if it was as bad as it looked is going to hurt worse.

- Matthews is a shell of his former self, but that is two huge calls now that simply weren't fouls - worse again, I bet he gets done for another 2-3 now that he has the first two... refs seem to put a target on players after the first few whether right or wrong. Perry is offering very little on the other side. Gilbert has looked decent, but as more of a depth guy. Who oh why did we not sign even a 34y/o veteran type to plug a gap here?

- I liked Kentrell Brice as a backup... I do not like Kentrell Brice as a starter. Josh Jones, please get better soon. Likewise for Kevin King at CB.

- Our defense is so... choppy. We played great against the Bears in the second half after an atrocious first. We played very well against the Vikings for three quarters, until an epic collapse in the fourth. And we played very well again in the second half yesterday (3-and-out, one 1st down and out, 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 26 yard drive for a FG, kneeled out) but it didn't matter because the first had been such a shambles allowing 382 yards and 28 points! All that said I'm not completely down on them and think as they get more used to the system, as some key people like King get back, and as all those young players get more experienced that we could start rolling quite a bit later in the year. I've seen some seriously good stretches that I've not seen from us in years so far, but the bad patches have been horrific and need to be gone ASAP. That 98 yard TD drive absolutely unforgivable under any circumstances.

- McCarthy. I think we might have messed up not getting rid of him last year, because he looks a busted flush at this point. The players as Brendan said just don't seem to have the urgency playing for him anymore, his playcalling is about 5-6 years out of date and now is basically "get Aaron to throw it in tiny windows" and he almost seems to just not like the running game - we've gone for passing plays over 70% of the time so far this season, through all of last season, and the season before that - for reference the Pats (e.g. another HOF QB whose is 'the man' on the roster in every way) have been at 59-61% over the same time. He just seems completely out of ideas and it looks like his teammates have been aware of it for quite some time - his record without the most talented QB of all time under center (and the utter sh*t show that was last season) surely don't inspire much confidence.

- Back to the running game. Even when it's working for us, we just abandon it the next week or sometimes in the same game and with us now having a good, promising and versatile trio it's infuriating that he under utilises them to the point that we're frequently the #1 team linked to Leveon Bell despite not even having the cap space for him - because nobody outside of the fan base has really ever seen them get more than a handful of carries. Last night it was working well for us, we had 64 yards on 11 carries and while Peterson mauling us was getting all the attention... if the second half mirrored that they would have about had the same as him (22 for 128 vs. AP's 19 for 120). Yes we were 18 down, but in the second half we had FOUR carries, all half. One early in the 3rd, one midway through the 3rd, one early in the fourth, one midway through the fourth. That was it. This is why Rodgers has faced so many DBs in coverage over the last few years (post 2014 especially) and yet McCarthy does nothing to alter it. We could be on 3rd and 1 and I wouldn't be surprised to see a defense drop everyone back and only bring 3 rushers... but I guarantee you McCarthy would be, as he scratches his head about why his 40 yard deep pass didn't work in that situation.

- Why go for a 60yd FG in the rain when you're inside the opposition's half with a QB that has an almost statistically impossible history when it comes to Hail Mary's at the buzzer, a 6'7 speedy TE, the guy with the most TD catches in the league over the last 2 years, another 6'7 TE with pass catching experience (albeit slower), Allison who is 6'3 and the three rookies who are all 6'3-6'5?

He just hasn't recovered at all from when he decided to pass play calling duties on in 2015 and everything crumbled. Truth be told, it gets more obvious every year just how much that Seahawks game completely broke the entire franchise, at least in it's guise at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Any word on the Mo Wilkerson injury? Is he done for the year?

phatkev wrote: »
    Any word on the Mo Wilkerson injury? Is he done for the year?

Yes.

Not a bad pickup for the last week in September. Also good news is it's not apparently Kevin King injury related - Davon House has been put on IR for the year. Breeland-King-Jaire-Jackson-(and Tramon for this year) should do well this year I would hope, but has incredible potential going forward as well.

Packers signing Bashaud Breeland.
    The Green Bay Packers will soon be adding veteran reinforcements at the cornerback position.

According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN, the Packers are signing cornerback Bashaud Breeland.

The Packers had Breeland and several other defenders in Green Bay for an official visit Tuesday.

The Packers had interest in Breeland before he signed a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers during free agency. A failed physical voided the deal.

A fourth-round pick of the Washington Redskins in 2014, Breeland has produced eight interceptions, 60 pass breakups and seven forced fumbles over his first four seasons in the NFL.

Also looking a defensive linemen with Wilkerson likely out for the year, most likely bringing back Quentin Dial. Going into the season with just 5 linemen was stupid to begin with though, two early injuries and you're basically having to put OLBs to offensive linemen in rotation for the rest of the game.

https://twitter.com/HBalzer721/status/1044712876022411264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1044713208995557377&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FPackerReport%2Fstatus%2F1044713208995557377

• Advertisement

I was thinking about it last night and I'm really, really happy with the Breeland signing.
    - NFL.com had him as the #15 overall free agent of the whole offseason, and the #4 CB (remembering that Talib and Peters were both traded for by the Rams). I disagree with Sherman being #22 (#5 CB) despite age and injuries, but it's still a serious job picking this guy up 4 weeks into the year - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917412/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2018-kirk-cousins-tops-the-board
    - As far back as May, USA Today had him as the #2 overall FA only behind Dez Bryant - https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/05/18/nfl-best-free-agents-available-dez-bryant-colin-kaepernick/621001002/
    - ESPN also had him as the #2 overall free agent remaining as of July: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24226120/20-best-available-nfl-free-agents-market-2018-training-camp
    - SB Nation had him with Bryant, Jonathan Hankins and Eric Reid as the top 4 remaining FAs - https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/13/17566340/top-50-remaining-nfl-free-agents-training-camp-bryant-reid

This guy was good enough that the deal he had with the Panthers prior to failing the medical (foot injury that apparently needed a few months to heal back in March, so should hopefully be all sorted now) for 3 years, $24mn... and we've picked him up on what's apparently a one year, quite cheap deal.

Not only that but we apparently had a competitor to sign him, as the Saints put starting CB Patrick Robinson on IR recently are were looking at Breeland, whom the drop off from is pretty steep in terms of talent available. Even if that winds up just costing them 1 or 2 games, it could move us forward several places with their first round pick next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I agree, super signing. I could see them pushing Tramon into a safety role off the back of this.

Hopefully McCarthy will stop talking about ‘the fundamentals’ and how we have to ‘complete the fundamentals’.

Should have that covered by now..surely?

Bills game will be BIG..... need to up the tempo and energy.

Another listless error ridden, penalty ridden bolloxxxxollogy of a game will end our season....sharpish.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I agree, super signing. I could see them pushing Tramon into a safety role off the back of this.
    Yeah, him or Jaire. Though if Josh Jones comes back and is ready for it, we might just be looking at some incredible depth for the year, nickel and dime packages, etc.

I also don't think 2-2 ends the season by any means, especially with the Vikings very possibly being 1-3 by Friday morning (the Rams I'm assuming had plenty of time to rest starters in the second half on Sunday). It would be a very bad loss though - the Bills did hammer them 27-6 but also got something like 20 of those points in the first quarter with the Vikings having an awful start. They did still only put up 6 all game though and Buffalo in recent years have typically had not just a good defense, but a very chippy one that's hard to move down the field on.

I expect to see a lot of zone coverage from 6-7 DBs/LBs throughout from their defense, and the sh*tty thing is I fully expect McCarthy's reaction to that to be "pass, pass, pass, passpasspasspasspasspasspasspass" while they are daring us -and our three pretty solid looking RBs- to just run the ball even more than once per series.

I'm not expecting a pretty performance, but a loss is indeed unacceptable.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Yeah, him or Jaire. Though if Josh Jones comes back and is ready for it, we might just be looking at some incredible depth for the year, nickel and dime packages, etc.

I also don't think 2-2 ends the season by any means, especially with the Vikings very possibly being 1-3 by Friday morning (the Rams I'm assuming had plenty of time to rest starters in the second half on Sunday). It would be a very bad loss though - the Bills did hammer them 27-6 but also got something like 20 of those points in the first quarter with the Vikings having an awful start. They did still only put up 6 all game though and Buffalo in recent years have typically had not just a good defense, but a very chippy one that's hard to move down the field on.

I expect to see a lot of zone coverage from 6-7 DBs/LBs throughout from their defense, and the sh*tty thing is I fully expect McCarthy's reaction to that to be "pass, pass, pass, passpasspasspasspasspasspasspass" while they are daring us -and our three pretty solid looking RBs- to just run the ball even more than once per series.

I'm not expecting a pretty performance, but a loss is indeed unacceptable.

We'd actually be 1-2-1 which is worse

Sorry yes 1-2-1 which is worse, but far from he end of the world.

i like the moves our gm is making, his trying to get the best players available so that we can make a push with rodgers in his prime. Obviously there is allot of holes all the time but his being proactive.

cosatron wrote: »
    i like the moves our gm is making, his trying to get the best players available so that we can make a push with rodgers in his prime. Obviously there is allot of holes all the time but his being proactive.

He's not though really. Mack was by far the best player available this year, rams are getting the best players available. Oh our defence is pretty great, let's go get suh and talib to boost ig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Breeland signing is excellent news. He was very unfortunate to have his Panthers contract voided. He'll definitely improve the defense.

The Packers are 10pt favourites with the bookies for this weekend. A loss would be doing very badly. Then again the Vikings were even heavier favourites last week so theres nothing guaranteed, I guess.

He's not though really. Mack was by far the best player available this year, rams are getting the best players available. Oh our defence is pretty great, let's go get suh and talib to boost ig

If rumours are to be belived, we did make the raiders a offer for mack but they wanted higher draft picks. Its easy for the rams and the bears to get these types of players when thier qbs are on rookie contracts.

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    If rumours are to be belived, we did make the raiders a offer for mack but they wanted higher draft picks. Its easy for the rams and the bears to get these types of players when thier qbs are on rookie contracts.

We had two first rounders, we could of made the offer and matched it, clay Matthews as I said at the time is a spent force and won't be on nearly the same money if he's here next year, packers could of got him

The Rams also had tonnes of cap room that we don't, largely because their two MVP contenders last year are still on rookie deals. I agree not adding to the edge rush was a poor move, but Wilkerson, Graham, Marcedes Lewis, Tramon, now Breeland and doing well moving up in next years draft (while still getting Jaire who I'm absolutely loving so far, and Josh Jackson who I've not noticed much of yet but was on many people's top 1-3 CB lists) is seriously good work for his first offseason in the job.

We had two first rounders, we could of made the offer and matched it, clay Matthews as I said at the time is a spent force and won't be on nearly the same money if he's here next year, packers could of got him

The issue there is that Mack is on something like $20mn, while at the time of the trade we had $15mn in cap room. I hope we at least tried to include Matthews in the trade, but if they were not interested in an injury prone, over the hill, undersized OLB on big money and just 1 year on his deal, we would have had to cut him instead. And if we do that, we're in very big cap trouble next year.

Big trouble at RT.... Bulaga is injury prone and Spriggs is not cutting it as a replacement.

Bulaga was a great player but as I see it is done.

Time to move on from #75..... sad to say.

Possibly true, after the season. It's a shame because for how long he's been around he doesn't even turn 30 until March. I would happily take him back on a cheap deal with a rookie taken early to fight for the position and look to take it over by the end of next season (or whenever he inevitably gets injured). Because of the injuries and that he's not the type to flatten opposition players on run plays he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves, for me he's been a top 5 RT in the league over this decade.

He is listed as questionable for Buffalo though, which usually is good in terms of starting come Sunday. Though it is a back injury, and like throwing arm injuries for QBs and knees for RBs those can kind of linger for longer with linemen (esp OL) than other positions.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Possibly true, after the season. It's a shame because for how long he's been around he doesn't even turn 30 until March. I would happily take him back on a cheap deal with a rookie taken early to fight for the position and look to take it over by the end of next season (or whenever he inevitably gets injured). Because of the injuries and that he's not the type to flatten opposition players on run plays he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves, for me he's been a top 5 RT in the league over this decade.

He is listed as questionable for Buffalo though, which usually is good in terms of starting come Sunday. Though it is a back injury, and like throwing arm injuries for QBs and knees for RBs those can kind of linger for longer with linemen (esp OL) than other positions.

Yes agree there but injuries have blighted his career.

Packers have to get continuity at R T same as they have at L T.

You can’t really have a stable OL whilst the RT only lasts, or is impaired after week 3.

I am a total admirer of 75 but feel it’s time to move on.

Yes agree there but injuries have blighted his career.

Packers have to get continuity at R T same as they have at L T.

You can’t really have a stable OL whilst the RT only lasts, or is impaired after week 3.

I am a total admirer of 75 but feel it’s time to move on.
    Yea a right tackle will be drafted next year along with an edge rusher with the two picks. Looking forward to Sunday I hope we run the god damn ball, MM play calling is perplexing at times to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

A shut out, are my eyes deceiving me??!

Yes it was only Josh Allen, but still very encouraging signs.

ST play was good too, for once it was the offense that was stuttering!

I'd be pretty confident of their ability to turn that round however, so all in all a good showing last night. The sooner McCarthy realises that Jones is by far their best RB the better.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    A shut out, are my eyes deceiving me??!

Yes it was only Josh Allen, but still very encouraging signs.

ST play was good too, for once it was the offense that was stuttering!

I'd be pretty confident of their ability to turn that round however, so all in all a good showing last night. The sooner McCarthy realises that Jones is by far their best RB the better.

Hmmmm the Rogers interview after the game would belie that.

Seemed very unhappy with the ‘ management ‘ of the offense.

Next week will tell us a lot more I’m sure.

• Advertisement

Aaron Jones fan boy right here, happy as Larry. He was a monster on one of the drives apparently.

I moved to Canada yest so missed the game while in the air. Outside of the offense struggling though most signs seem pretty great. Not calling Allen a superstar but he and Buffalo did dismantle the Vikings last week, and while our defense has been very up and down as I said a bit back the ups have been extremely good from what I've seen. Hopefully this is the start of them really beginning to click consistently

Is it true though that we AGAIN abandoned the run game in the second half despite it doing well, and despite the fact we don't want Rodgers even touched while in that brace (and while the passing game was struggling)? Please tell me that wasn't the case, as I read elsewhere that it was.

Also, he's no star and apparently had one or two bad drops last night it's nice to see that Geronimo Allison has developed into a ok boundary receiver since we needed one outside of Davante (or Graham when he splits out).

Night games are no longer impossible on a work night for me... fecking delighted!!!

Advertisement