Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Hopefully you're right. Rodgers will be turning 36 next season and is rapidly becoming more injury prone. There isn't a whole lot of time to spend on "rebuilding".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Maybe not, it will be an important game,but NEXT SEASON will be the big one

Guttekunst has cleared out a lot of dross and next season will stand or fall on HIS roster.

Word is CD6 was a bit toxic in the locker room. We all know GB don’t tolerate that.... Josh Sitten.. etc etc

Let’s rock on and do it our way.

Our way isn't working the amount we trade away our first or second round picks for lower picks in the years. I really believe gb needs to change and become aggressive in fa

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Our way isn't working the amount we trade away our first or second round picks for lower picks in the years. I really believe gb needs to change and become aggressive in fa

Well achieving the playoffs almost every year for the last ten years would disprove that, that said, yes, I agree we need to get a tad more aggressive,but not over aggressive which leads to boom and bust seasons and too much chopping and changing.

We need to move on, modernize a bit, but a stable core is essential for continued success.

We got lucky with two QBs since 1994, that kind of run wont last forever.

No need for panic, I would suggest.

Well achieving the playoffs almost every year for the last ten years would disprove that, that said, yes, I agree we need to get a tad more aggressive,but not over aggressive which leads to boom and bust seasons and too much chopping and changing.

We need to move on, modernize a bit, but a stable core is essential for continued success.

We got lucky with two QBs since 1994, that kind of run wont last forever.

No need for panic, I would suggest.

I would argue that 2 superbowls with 25 years of having sure fire hof qbs is a bust. Look at manning, until he won his second a lot if people were saying he should of done more how the colts squandered him. Packers have done that with rodgers without question

I would argue that 2 superbowls with 25 years of having sure fire hof qbs is a bust. Look at manning, until he won his second a lot if people were saying he should of done more how the colts squandered him. Packers have done that with rodgers without question

Agree they should have had more, should not have lost that third one to Denver.

However winning SBs isn’t t easy and needs a lot of cogs to work in the wheel at the same time.

I would not disagree with you, but the Packers organisation and location does not attract the real high rollers, which is why they prefer the nurture and build approach.

I would not like to see them depart too much from that m.o.but still be in the market for suitable free agents not stults like Bennett .

• Advertisement

We did it again!

Getting on top in the 4th but poor Aaron Jones fumbled and the air went out of the Packers.

Pats then took over and were well on top and worth their win.

Two things stood out and I haven’t really studied the game yet.

Packers couldn’t really get to Brady, I know he was sacked, but by and large he was untouched.
    He got rid of the ball very quickly, not always completed , but it kept him clean.

In contrast Rogers was thrown around like a rag doll far more often than was safe and he didn’t really get rid of the ball quickly.

Lot of shade being thrown at McCarthy from the podcasters and in my opinion his position while probably safe for this season, is very dodgy for the next season.

If they don't make the playoffs I think (hope) he'll finally be gone.

Blut2 wrote: »
    If they don't make the playoffs I think (hope) he'll finally be gone.

Yes I think that’s a fairly safe bet.

There are those who think if we lose against Miami next week it’s gonzo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Some of the mistakes this year are unbelievable. I think mm is done unless we win the superbowl which is'nt going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

For the first time I'm just so bored watching the Packers play. It's just all "meh". It shouldn't belike that when you have such an amazing QB and actually not a bad supporting cast. Ok, maybe not phenomenal talents at every position but we're solid enough. It's should be exciting, like watching the Chiefs or the Rams but it just flatlines. There needs to be a change in the coaching and playcalling, get someone willing to do something different and exciting, and get the players on board with it.

• Advertisement

For the first time I'm just so bored watching the Packers play. It's just all "meh". It shouldn't belike that when you have such an amazing QB and actually not a bad supporting cast. Ok, maybe not phenomenal talents at every position but we're solid enough. It's should be exciting, like watching the Chiefs or the Rams but it just flatlines. There needs to be a change in the coaching and playcalling, get someone willing to do something different and exciting, and get the players on board

This is the major problem, I think the game has past mm by. His predictable and outdated

cosatron wrote: »
    For the first time I'm just so bored watching the Packers play. It's just all "meh". It shouldn't belike that when you have such an amazing QB and actually not a bad supporting cast. Ok, maybe not phenomenal talents at every position but we're solid enough. It's should be exciting, like watching the Chiefs or the Rams but it just flatlines. There needs to be a change in the coaching and playcalling, get someone willing to do something different and exciting, and get the players on board

This is the major problem, I think the game has past mm by. His predictable and outdated
    second and 7.

Time to WR screen to cobb, nobody will expect us to use that from our list of 6 plays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

In seasons gone by I was often watching games thinking that we needed something lucky to make a stop. 3rd and long was not something I confident in unless it was 3rd and 15 or something, and even then I was never sure. Now I think the defence can hold its own for a couple of quarters, as it has done in most games. Even last night they forced three punts and got a turnover on downs. The Rams punted 7 times against them last week. They're not going to keep teams below 20 every week, or even most weeks but unlike in previous seasons they haven't been the reason they've lost.

The offence however is worrying. 5th in the lead in yards per carry, and yet 28th in the league in number of attempts. I know they've been playing from behind in a fair few games which is why they might not have run it as much but something seems off there. They're averaging 4.8 yards a carry, something you'd expect from a very good rushing team. Rodgers is great and part of the reason they've won games this year but the play calls seem to be very haphazard and hoping for something to come good. It's almost like they send one guy deep and if he's not free they just freestyle it and hope for the best. They can do that because Rodgers makes it work a lot of the time, but now my confidence is lacking when it's 3rd and 5/6 because I don't have faith that the play or scheme is going to get someone open. It's more hope that Rodgers stays up long enough for someone to eventually get open.

A Packers win last night......duh.

Was it sharp and clean and impressive...nah

Beat a team with a second string QB, a banged up OL, at home, thanks to some poor play by them rather than good play by the Packers.

Right thats the negativity bit out of the way....

Good points was that Aaron Jones looked very good

The new battery of WRs MVS and ESB looked good

The ‘other’ TEs played their part Lance K and M Adams.

Rogers looked disinterested a lot of the time.

I fear for next Thursday against a quality team on the road.

Am I being too negative:D

Rogers looked disinterested a lot of the time.

He seems really negative this year, and I don't blame him but he looks really pissed off. I honestly can't see McCarthy lasting another season if we don't make the playoffs. At this stage I kind of hope we don't, just so we can get a new injection of life at HC.

I'd say he's gone no matter what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bax9C8damOU

This is a long, but very good, analysis of the offense's problems. Its fairly spot-on. The cliff notes are basically "McCarthy is a dinosaur".

Its such a shame given the defense is finally doing well this season. Now tied for #1 in the league for sacks, after last night's mauling of Osweiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Two weeks in a row where we could have beaten a top team and the following week they went out and lost. Could have beaten the Rams and the following week they lost. Could have beaten the Patriots and the following week they went out and lose to the titans.

We have exposed weaknesses in other teams but not taken advantage ourselves by the looks of it.

Agree about Rodgers. He seems to be going through the motions at the moment.

McCarthy is definitely the elephant in the room at this stage. Rodgers knows things can't get any better as there isn't the usually bravado out of him, no relax or run the table. on a sad note, Jordy nelson is retiring, one of my favourite players and I hope they resign him for 1 day contract at the end of the season

McCarthy is definitely the elephant in the room at this stage. Rodgers knows things can't get any better as there isn't the usually bravado out of him, no relax or run the table. on a sad note, Jordy nelson is retiring, one of my favourite players and I hope they resign him for 1 day contract at the end of the season

Ill assume he was the i need to get the **** out of here player

• Advertisement

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw both stories!

McCarthy getting a hammering on a night when 2 failings came back to really haunt him, failing to challenge a 34 yard pass on their go ahead drive, and punting on 4 and 2 with 4 minutes left - the Packers never got the ball back.

Season, and McCarthy's time at Lambeau, both surely over.

The dream is over for this year. Allot of work this off season again

The dream is over for this year. Allot of work this off season again

Again a game that could have been won.

Missed field goal made a difference, that fat kernt for the Hawks got everything.

Every time , no almost every time Rogers was flushed out bad things happened.

Offence couldnt stay on the field in the second half, Defense I wouldn't fault too much but there is definitely a problem with Rogers.

Not himself, sour, unenthusiastic,not a team player as I see it.

The Guth needs to step in and sort this schidt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Re Rodgers

Maybe he knows the seasons over, his knee must be sore and he knows McCarthy is gone once the seasons over.

Is anyone really surprised Mccarthy didn't have the balls to go for it. The longer he is with the team you see how Conservative and limited he is in today's nfl

Is anyone really surprised Mccarthy didn't have the balls to go for it. The longer he is with the team you see how Conservative and limited he is in today's nfl

No. Since the 2014 NFC game, poor coaching, poor playcalling and poor use of timeouts is nearly the norm with McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,648 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Mike McCarthy is like every other long term coach that's every been in the NFL. The message he has may be grand but after 11 years or so the message sounds the same and has lost its appeal especially amongst the players there a long time. You can't here the same song all the time and not grow to hate it at some point.

Its probably worth waiting to see how the Vikings game goes next Monday. Nobody is really tearing up the NFC North, so there might still be a playoff spot to sneak into, maybe.

If that goes badly though then there'll be a lot of questions to ask. Is it worth tanking the season to get better picks? Should Rodgers be rested? Is it worth trying to blood Kizer or is he still too raw?

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its probably worth waiting to see how the Vikings game goes next Monday. Nobody is really tearing up the NFC North, so there might still be a playoff spot to sneak into, maybe.

If that goes badly though then there'll be a lot of questions to ask. Is it worth tanking the season to get better picks? Should Rodgers be rested? Is it worth trying to blood Kizer or is he still too raw?

I would like Rodgers to play on and find some sort of rhythm with the young receivers and running backs and hopefully finds his own mojo. We have now lost 7 games on the road in a row

Advertisement