Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

Wow. Does that mean the Khalil deal is dead so, cap space wise? I'm not too up on the cap situation but I can't imagine there'll be much left over after that pay out.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Wow. Does that mean the Khalil deal is dead so, cap space wise? I'm not too up on the cap situation but I can't imagine there'll be much left over after that pay out.

I'd say there was no chance of it ever happening but yeah must surely be dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

cap space wouldnt be that much of an issue if they did want to sign him (not that they will) - Clay Matthews is on a big time contract that expires next summer - thats 11.5 mill off the cap - if he resigns it wont be for anything near that amount - his production hasnt justified that contract at all! if they wanted him they could make it work but i dont think they will make a play for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It would be a serious squeeze this year and I think the deal makes it less likely alright, but a different Packers forum I don't post but lurk on seems to think there is a pretty strong chance of it. Not only Matthews, but if Cobb is gone as well next year that is $24mn cleared up (in terms of their total 2018 salaries).

Gute would be a bit of a hero if he somehow managed to get it done, but with NFL contracts being such convoluted nonsense I wouldn't entirely rule it out (largely wishful thinking, mind).

• Advertisement

also have 4.2 million in dead cap from the marty bennett fiasco - and 2.3 million from jordi release!

So that's in the region of 30mn, plus another 5-6 since Tramon is surely a 1yr only affair. The big gamble is that it leaves us quite tight in terms of how the young DBs and WRs get on, but we don't have too much in terms of FAs coming up next year - Clay, Cobb, Haha, and Wilkerson. Wilkerson is a tough one, if Haha does well I would want to keep him but a repeat of last year and I'd happily say goodbye, the first two I reckon are gone either way.

Also in 2020 we don't have many up either - Martinez is looking like a 'must resign' calibre player, Kyle Murphy and Dean Lowry may well be resigned also to ok-ish money depending on their development, and Mike Daniels likely will be too but will be 31 and is already on 10mn this year so it wouldn't amount to much of a cap hit.

2019 - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/green-bay-packers/available/
    2020 - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/green-bay-packers/

So like I said, wishful thinking... but I wouldn't consider it impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    So that's in the region of 30mn, plus another 5-6 since Tramon is surely a 1yr only affair. The big gamble is that it leaves us quite tight in terms of how the young DBs and WRs get on, but we don't have too much in terms of FAs coming up next year - Clay, Cobb, Haha, and Wilkerson. Wilkerson is a tough one, if Haha does well I would want to keep him but a repeat of last year and I'd happily say goodbye, the first two I reckon are gone either way.

Also in 2020 we don't have many up either - Martinez is looking like a 'must resign' calibre player, Kyle Murphy and Dean Lowry may well be resigned also to ok-ish money depending on their development, and Mike Daniels likely will be too but will be 31 and is already on 10mn this year so it wouldn't amount to much of a cap hit.

2019 - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/green-bay-packers/available/
    2020 - https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/green-bay-packers/

So like I said, wishful thinking... but I wouldn't consider it impossible.
    If they really really want him they will find a way.

I know it's only pre season and the packages are basic but **** me our defence seem as dreadful as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 19,280 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I know it's only pre season and the packages are basic but **** me our defence seem as dreadful as ever

Haven’t watched the KC game yet, but.....pre season games mean nothing other than to weed out the roster.

Nothing other than that.

• Advertisement

They'll be brilliant, sure it was all Dom's fault :D

Haven’t watched the KC game yet, but.....pre season games mean nothing other than to weed out the roster.

Nothing other than that.

I know what it's for but the problem is nobody on first or second team did anything but give up massive plays

• Registered Users Posts: 19,280 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I know what it's for but the problem is nobody on first or second team did anything but give up massive plays

I have watched and you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Looks like Mack is heading to the Bears. I know it was a longshot we would be in for him after the Rodgers contract announcement but I think he could have been a game changer for us. Would strengthen our defense considerably and would take pressure off Rodgers to get involved in shout outs with teams.

There is still time to nip in of course but it isn't looking likely.

Edit: just spotted now that the move was confirmed earlier. A pity.

On the one hand its definitely disappointing. On the other hand, the Bears have paid an absolute fortune for him:
    The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019 to acquire Mack earlier Saturday.

The Chicago Bears reached a record-setting six-year, $141 million extension with Khalil Mack. Mack is now the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. The deal, which averages $23.5 million per season, includes $90 million in guaranteed money and $60 million at signing

( http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24543080/chicago-bears-reach-agreement-trade-khalil-mack-oakland-raiders )

If Trubisky doesn't turn out to be excellent, and the Bears need another QB any time soon, they're going to really really struggle with no draft picks and not much cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

football is back and im kinda nervous about sunday night, bulaga is just back and he will be lining up against Mack and it looks like sprigs isn't an option, if we can keep Rodgers standing we will win. it will interesting to see the defence under Pettine as he used a basic coverage scheme in the preseason to see whats whats. go pack go.

if there is any qb that can keep mack quiet its Rodgers

As you say Bulaga is just back..... but Mack is only in for Bears - as much as he is a beast he would have to learn schemes etc.

Could be looking at short plays to start and quick passes - but quality of rodgers and adams cobb and graham should be enough to see us through!

Cant wait for sunday night
    GPG

This is actually one of those times that Marcedes Lewis signing is looking pretty f***ing great. We've got one of the very best blocking TEs in the league to slide over and help out Bulaga.

I don't want to see much of Monty in the backfield unless he has improved his pass protection though, in this game at least. Aaron Jones excites me an awful lot (probably our best pure runner since Ahman Green going off what we saw last year), but Williams strikes me as the more balanced player for things like pass blocking, basic passing routes, etc.

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is actually one of those times that Marcedes Lewis signing is looking pretty f***ing great. We've got one of the very best blocking TEs in the league to slide over and help out Bulaga.

I don't want to see much of Monty in the backfield unless he has improved his pass protection though, in this game at least. Aaron Jones excites me an awful lot (probably our best pure runner since Ahman Green going off what we saw last year), but Williams strikes me as the more balanced player for things like pass blocking, basic passing routes, etc.
    Lacy was easily our best pure runner. But he got fat and lazy

Lacy was and he wasn't - he was quality at north-south stuff and even had enough wiggle to be dangerous outside (though McCarthy wasted him for a good year or so in the shotgun), but he also lacked the burst to be truly dangerous when he beat the first seven and got caught up a lot on.

Ahman Green was a comfortable cut and a half above Lacy - he had a great line for it and did have a habit of fumbling, but 1,883 rushing yards at 5.3 per carry, another 50 catches for 367 yards and 20 total TDs in 2003 was insane. That's still the 9th most rushing yards in a single season, while of all those ahead of him only Chris Johnson had as many catches (also 50) while only T.D. had more total TDs (23).

I don't want to go saying Jones is the next big thing or anything just yet, but he does reminds me a bit of Green in that he cuts extremely quickly and directly, and then hits the hole with zero hesitation or loss of momentum - that's priceless in a RB if you can find it. He also showed it last year; in only had 81 carries he got to 448 yards at 5.5 per carry which had me perplexed about why he got used less later in the year. Apparently though he needs to build his core a good bit and struggled a good bit as a result of it, which he can't really be a 250+ carry back without doing.

The big difference with Jones vs Lacy is that Lacy looked a bit more of a passing threat (quite underrated there I thought) and was far more durable than Jones was last year, but Jones has the burst that when he gets in behind he's just gone - and maybe more importantly, if finds a pocket of space he gets to it faster and often gets right through it before contact. About a quarter of those 81 carries are in the video below and even on ones that don't get many yards, I just love how quick and decisive he is to spin off the back of blockers in a pile up, make a sharp cutback making the DE/OLB/whoever completely overrun him outside, his ability to power or wriggle free and gain an extra 2-3 yards after contact so often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zROC5mYWdA

Also, only preseason but we've seen him do it in the regular season already so good to see the form he looks to be in - only 34 yards on 9 carries but some very hard fought yards even getting back to the LOS behind the backup linemen. Suspended for the first two games of course, but it says a bit that despite that he had the most carries in our last preseason game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8_0BZka3E

• Advertisement

Was worried our d would give up a load of yards through the air, early thoughts am surprised we're giving up them on the ground instead

Well that was a miserable 17 minutes before our season came to and end if it's as bad as it looks right now.

Bears absolutely robbed raiders blind

So Mack has sacks, forced fumbles, and a pick 6, a strip sack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Rodgers is a BAD. MAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Rodgers is a BAD. MAN.

People losing their mind on Reddit! :D

I knew the score before watching the 12 minutes highlights clip. And I was still kinda in shock after that 4th quarter.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OATIupK34

I like Cobb in a contact year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Great comeback but again the amount of yards we are giving up so easily is frightening. Hopefully we see the defence that showed up in the last quarter rather than the one we saw in the first 3.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Great comeback but again the amount of yards we are giving up so easily is frightening. Hopefully we see the defence that showed up in the last quarter rather than the one we saw in the first 3.

Actually after the first quarter, which to be fair was against a new HC and system in Chicago where they hit us with a lot of unexpected stuff, we only gave up 181 yards on 8 drives through the rest of the game. And believe it or not, 91 of those yards came in the fourth quarter. Of the remaining 90, 60 came on a single drive that resulted in a FG.

Even just before half time it was our defence I was thinking might give us a prayer (but didn't really care because I was sure Rodgers was gone forseveral weeks at best) because they had stopped the Bears from really capitalising on their 10-0 lead quite well. Then Mack got the pick six and I went to bed to avoid putting my face through the wall. But I do think that with last year's defense we would have been down by 35+ rather than 20 and no comeback would have been possible.

The Bears are not too great a barometer though, next week should be far more telling with an intelligent and experienced QB that has a quality arm, a dangerous running game, one of he very best WR combos in the league, and a coach that knows how to gameplan, play call, and make adjustments on the fly.

Kentrell Bryce at safety looked pretty decent to me too. Always really liked him as a backup but I wasn't sure if he could make the jump to starter. If last night is anything to go on, he actually just might.

Advertisement