Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Patww79 wrote: »

would it though? a new area settles a lot of people. I'd rather us get him than the pats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Only on a one year 'prove it' deal which could work well while the rookies get used to things, but even as is we are really overcrowded at WR with some very difficult cuts to make (so much so I wouldn't be shocked to see us move someone like 6'6 Michael Brown to TE). We have too much money at WR as is and if it involves and painful cuts in other positions I would leave it, as I would if it were a choice between say Dez or getting help at OLB from someone like Elvis Dumervil.

So I'd take it... but only if it's a one year, cheap 'prove it' deal that doesn't weaken any other positions. Attitude I can get past, having a reputation for an absolutely terrible attitude is the only reason we ever got Charles Woodson, he himself said GB was the very last team and place in the entire league he wanted to go at the time but had no other offers despite being a 29 year old three time all pro with no notable injury history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

If his ego was kept in check him + Graham would be great options for Rodgers to throw to. Is there enough cap space for him though?

• Advertisement

cheap prove it deal makes sense as many aint rushing for him

I'm happy enough with Graham over Nelson because a) it gives us someone deep over the middle which is huge (esp since the last time bar Cooks we had someone like that was Finlay, also with Philbin as OC), and b) I think we can expect Graham to be a bit more like he was in NO than in Seattle as due to the systems.

I was as big a Jordy Nelson fanboy as there was but he did appear to be beyond his best and does turn 33 in a fortnight. I think he could still do well in a slot type of role, but his days of getting a thousand yards at 13+ per catch are probably done. It will hurt this year but I don't feel so down on if we can develop some of that young talent at WR (all deep ball types), and also because of the potential of our RBs to help offset.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No thank you. Dez doesn't solve any problems for us, we still need speed to stretch the field on the opposite side to Adams, and Dez isn't providing that.

You could argue that his monster ego causes more problems than he solves.

Marcedes Lewis (TE) signed - one of the better blocking TEs in the league and should be able to contribute 30-40 catches as well. He turned 34 last week so it's likely just a one year deal but sounds good to me. With all the physical freaks at WR who knows, it might allow us to convert one of those 6'5 guys to TE with them only needing to take a few snaps here and there this year rather than getting thrown right in at #2. Should help the run game too, we seem to be building for a more balanced offense this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,283 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Michael Clark 6’ 6’ wide receiver retired.

I had great hopes for that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Jake Ryan with serious looking knee injury - looks like draft pickup burks could be playing earlier than thought!

And Kentrell Bryce too, who was getting the starting snaps at SS apparently (though wasn't really expected to keep it, he is a quality backup), which means if Burks is further off it stops us popping Josh Jones back into the ILB role short term. I've heard a bit of talk of trying Fackrell out there since he's actually done OK in coverage but is otherwise a pretty terrible OLB when it comes to anything even vaguely pass rush related.

Ryan confirmed acl - out for season! Pity cos he did come on last year with martinez beside him

Sucks for him in a contract year.

That being said, and not to sound cold, he was probably the most replaceable starter we had. He was decent against the run but a liability against the pass. I'd like to see us kick the tyres on someone like Bowman, for experience alone.

would certainly be an aggressive move for packers to make if they did go for bowman and do feel that he would be an upgrade at the position.... id like to see it but time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Khalil Mack.......

Some bookies in America have made Packers favourites to get Mack if he doesn't stay with the Raiders. Having two first round picks next season gives the Packers some decent bargaining if they do go into talks. Would be a serious signing for the Packers.

Hes not just favourite to go to the Packers if he doesn't stay with the Raiders with the bookies - hes now favourite to be playing for the Packers over any other team, including the Raiders, next season (!):
    Team Khalil Mack will be on by the end of the October:

Packers +300
    Raiders +400
    Jets +700
    Bills +700
    Redskins +700
    Steelers +1000
    Giants +1000
    Any other +400

Theres lots of talk over on reddit about Perry and one of the 1st rounders going to Oakland in return for Mack to the Packers. Obviously all rumours at this stage but it'd be a great way to improve the defense now, while Rodgers is still performing at his peak.

Would be serious money given what he's looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

What’s the ‘personal issues’ Cole Madison is dealing with?

Would be serious money given what he's looking for.

Doesn't matter. If you are serious about a short you need a top free agent signing or two.and let's be honest clay Matthews is a name these days not a presence

• Advertisement

I'd go with that if it was a roster with one glaring need as the missing piece. Hopefully training camp unearths some things but it doesn't look like a roster missing one piece carrying over from last year.

yeah but bringing in Mack improves the defense across the board....

He will take double teams that will free up daniels clarke and mo to dominate inside... In turn giving the qb less time - and will strengthen our secondary as a result.

He is going to look for about 17 mill a year - currently we have about 7 million in cap space this year. If we defer some of the wages until next year - Matthews 11.5 mill against the cap wont be there next year and he will surely get a restructured deal if he is resigned not getting near 11.5 mill

• Registered Users Posts: 19,283 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hundley traded to Seattle in a gum chewing contest with Carroll

In exchange for a 6th round pick.

I’d go with that. Kizer now the back up, with Boyle as third string.

Yep.... sounds good.

Daylight robbery to get anything for him

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Daylight robbery to get anything for him

Kizer though. That's poor at backup.

Kizer though. That's poor at backup.

Meh, I think if Rodgers goes down we're screwed anyway. I think Kizer has much higher upside, at this stage we know what Hundley is.

Meh, I think if Rodgers goes down we're screwed anyway. I think Kizer has much higher upside, at this stage we know what Hundley is.

+1. Kizer was a 21 year old rookie thrown into the Brown's dysfunctional system last year. I don't think we can read too much into his season.

Give him 2 or 3 years at back-up maturing physically and mentally, and learning from Rodgers, and we could see an entirely different player emerge.

I'm torn on Kizer. He looked awful last year but he was a 21 year old rookie in probably the worst team in nfl history. This year though I don't think he is at all ready... Maybe in 2 or 3 he might be better.

I would have preferred a hoyer type experienced journeyman at backup but woukd easily take Kizer over Hundley who looked just as poor if not worse in a much better team in his 4th year in the league. He doesn't really belong in the NFL and a 6th is a steal for him. So Kizer and a 6th for Hundley and a 4th is definitely good business.

Anyone else hope to hear Mack traded for when they clicked the thread? :o

Well that's true. As horrendous as Kizer is, there's nobody available that makes this team win in place of Rodgers. Might as well go with the young lad, we already know Hundley will never have it.

• Advertisement

Word appearing that Rodgers is extended now too.

4 years, $134m, with over $100m guaranteed money.

_

Advertisement