Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Did I see correctly.. we actually stopped a team on 3rd and 1? Twice?

Only caught the highlights this morning, looked poor enough stuff in the first half. Didn't seem like we had much of a clue on D but gradually improved in second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Did I see correctly.. we actually stopped a team on 3rd and 1? Twice?

Only caught the highlights this morning, looked poor enough stuff in the first half. Didn't seem like we had much of a clue on D but gradually improved in second half.

We also stopped them on fourth down but clay Matthews smashed the qb well after the ball was gone and gave them a new set of downs and 15 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually after the first quarter, which to be fair was against a new HC and system in Chicago where they hit us with a lot of unexpected stuff, we only gave up 181 yards on 8 drives through the rest of the game. And believe it or not, 91 of those yards came in the fourth quarter. Of the remaining 90, 60 came on a single drive that resulted in a FG.

Even just before half time it was our defence I was thinking might give us a prayer (but didn't really care because I was sure Rodgers was gone forseveral weeks at best) because they had stopped the Bears from really capitalising on their 10-0 lead quite well. Then Mack got the pick six and I went to bed to avoid putting my face through the wall. But I do think that with last year's defense we would have been down by 35+ rather than 20 and no comeback would have been possible.

The Bears are not too great a barometer though, next week should be far more telling with an intelligent and experienced QB that has a quality arm, a dangerous running game, one of he very best WR combos in the league, and a coach that knows how to gameplan, play call, and make adjustments on the fly.

Kentrell Bryce at safety looked pretty decent to me too. Always really liked him as a backup but I wasn't sure if he could make the jump to starter. If last night is anything to go on, he actually just might.

Addmitadly I only watched the game in 40 this morning so it's probably not a true reflection of the over all game but up to a point it just felt like highlights of the Bears picking up yards and Mack doing damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just to point out, the Bears destroyed our defence in the first quarter over two drives, finishing the second with a FG in the first play of the second quarter. This is what they did on each drive after that:

- 3 and out
    - 3 and out/turnover on downs
    - 3 and out
    - 12 play, 60 yard drive for a FG
    - 3 and out
    - 3 and out
    - 14 play, 61 yard drive for a FG
    - 10 play, 18 yard drive ending in a 4th down turnover

That's pretty excellent, especially considering they had a very comfy lead for most of it. Even the two longer drives are not so bad, and both ended with the Bears having to settle for FGs in the red zone. Which was a nice improvement because if I recall we had either the worst red zone defence in the league, or second worst behind only the Browns, over the last two years.

As I said in the post above it's only the Bears so not really cause for overexcitement right now especially as Trubisky didn't really look 'the part' to me last year, but here is how his numbers looked once you take away the opening quarter: 16 of 27 for 85yds (3.14 per attempt), no TDs, no INTs, 64.6 rating... plus 2 scrambles for 16 total yards.

That is largely because we made successful adjustments during the game, which I honest-to-god do not know if I have seen us manage to do even once in 6-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,755 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just rewatched the snf game. It was like a Willis reed moment at msg when Rodgers came back on the field. The bears looked good though and the bears committed daylight robbery on the raiders getting Mack. I saw things that bears fans can be hopeful for which is what the league needs. It needs the bears to be competitive and not like the browns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

For anyone who watched the full game - how did Kizer look? It was pretty hard to tell from only seeing a few snaps in the highlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He looked like Brett Hundley. Couple of decent throws, couple of horrible mistakes. Basically if he has to start for long then it's season over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Needs to be addressed before the Vikings.

Tackling...way too many whiffs.

Packers dodged a big bullet on this one ,make no mistake about that.

Rogers pass whacked a Bears defense man right in the numbers in the 4th,couldn’t haul it in....could have been all over there.

Need to upgrade against Cousins.

That said,great win, couldn’t believe they could comeback

I'd like to see him not up against that pass rush. Having Mack go off didn't help him

Needs to be addressed before the Vikings.

Tackling...way too many whiffs.

Packers dodged a big bullet on this one ,make no mistake about that.

Rogers pass whacked a Bears defense man right in the numbers in the 4th,couldn’t haul it in....could have been all over there.

Need to upgrade against Cousins.

That said,great win, couldn’t believe they could comeback

In fairness it was Fuller. Every QB in the league must know by now that you've a free pass throwing straight at him.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    In fairness it was Fuller. Every QB in the league must know by now that you've a free pass throwing straight at him.

Was it,now in fairness he didn’t see it coming but should have held on.

Bout time the Pack got the rub of the green.

Still say though, will need to upgrade big time for next week.

Be more consistent and not depend on miracle plays .

Just smash them and then smash them again.

Patww79 wrote: »
    He looked like Brett Hundley. Couple of decent throws, couple of horrible mistakes. Basically if he has to start for long then it's season over.

Ah, thats unfortunate. Though as mentioned by raze, going up against Mack and the Bears pass rush, and doing it so early in his Packers career, probably didn't help.

Hopefully he gets another year or two to age/develop before being thrown in at the deep end again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I just rewatched the snf game. It was like a Willis reed moment at msg when Rodgers came back on the field. The bears looked good though and the bears committed daylight robbery on the raiders getting Mack. I saw things that bears fans can be hopeful for which is what the league needs. It needs the bears to be competitive and not like the browns.

To be fair the league needs the Browns to not be like the Browns as well.

Great win for ye last night, congratulations to almost all the Packers fans here, it must be great to have a QB like Rodgers, to know that you are just never, never out of a game.

From a Bears POV it was great in the first half to finally have fun watching the Bears again, and there was a lot to be optimistic about as you say. But by any measure it was an embarrassing game to give up after going 20 points to nothing up. Fuller wasn't just responsible for the failed INT, he also should have stopped Cobb on the TD, but didn't put in the effort tbh. Ye may have dodged a bullet not picking him up, but he is pretty mercurial so he might well have a stormer next week.

As good as Mack was last night early on I actually thought Bulaga (?) did well as the game wore on to restrict him, helped no doubt by the fact that ye were (of necessity) releasing the ball a lot quicker, a change of tempo that we never adjusted to. It was like the only plan was to hound Rodgers as he held onto possession, and when he went to quick release from the pocket we didn't know what to do. You don't win games against a QB that's able to change up his game plan so effectively if you have no idea what to do about it. They surely realised ye would change things after the opening, I think our sideline looked very naive as a result.

Anyway like I said, it was the manner of the defeat that made it hurt, but it was cool that the Bears and Packers actually had a good game, hopefully that is the case for the foreseeable future. Congratulations on a great Week 1. It's going to be a hell of a division this year!

To be fair the league needs the Browns to not be like the Browns as well.

Great win for ye last night, congratulations to almost all the Packers fans here, it must be great to have a QB like Rodgers, to know that you are just never, never out of a game.

From a Bears POV it was great in the first half to finally have fun watching the Bears again, and there was a lot to be optimistic about as you say. But by any measure it was an embarrassing game to give up after going 20 points to nothing up. Fuller wasn't just responsible for the failed INT, he also should have stopped Cobb on the TD, but didn't put in the effort tbh. Ye may have dodged a bullet not picking him up, but he is pretty mercurial so he might well have a stormer next week.

As good as Mack was last night early on I actually thought Bulaga (?) did well as the game wore on to restrict him, helped no doubt by the fact that ye were (of necessity) releasing the ball a lot quicker, a change of tempo that we never adjusted to. It was like the only plan was to hound Rodgers as he held onto possession, and when he went to quick release from the pocket we didn't know what to do. You don't win games against a QB that's able to change up his game plan so effectively if you have no idea what to do about it. They surely realised ye would change things after the opening, I think our sideline looked very naive as a result.

Anyway like I said, it was the manner of the defeat that made it hurt, but it was cool that the Bears and Packers actually had a good game, hopefully that is the case for the foreseeable future. Congratulations on a great Week 1. It's going to be a hell of a division this year!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Packers can go 1-15 now, those lemons have just made the season regardless.

Thought you'd like that! :)

I'd rather have a bit of a dig back and forth than this new snowflakey "good game old chap, respect respect respect, hearty handshake, love your opponent" that seems to have infested sports these days. Nothing wrong with a bit of what made sports in the first place.

We can do both things.

We can do both things.

It's one of the reasons that it's probably just after my time for engaging here on the sport altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

Great win but God damn it, clay Matthews sucked ass. Broke containment on a number of occasions, pushed around like a rag doll and fallen all over the place and then the most boneheaded play with the game on the line. I hope Gilbert gets more game time and maybe move clay inside with Martinez.

cosatron wrote: »
    Great win but God damn it, clay Matthews sucked ass. Broke containment on a number of occasions, pushed around like a rag doll and fallen all over the place and then the most boneheaded play with the game on the line. I hope Gilbert gets more game time and maybe move clay inside with Martinez.

You are not wrong.

• Advertisement

I said it when Mack was up for trade. Matthews is just a name now, tbh has been for the last 2 years, does not do much for the team anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Love Matthews...... 3 years ago.... but hasnt been effective since then!
    His pass rush is non existent and when he does get in the backfield he just ends up chasing around and cant finish the move!

This is why i was all for the mack trade because I dont think Matthews will be with packers next year.... if he is it will be on a massively reduced contract!

What a comedy of errors in Lambeau.

Packers had at least four opportunities to win the game.

Allowing the TD +2 to tie the game

The Adams ‘drop’ in the end zone

The Matthews penalty which negated an interception

The Crosby miss

What the ffffffffffrke were they doing?...

What a comedy of errors in Lambeau.

Packers had at least four opportunities to win the game.

Allowing the TD +2 to tie the game

The Adams ‘drop’ in the end zone

The Matthews penalty which negated an interception

The Crosby miss

What the ffffffffffrke were they doing?...
    Can't blame Matthews this time I'm afraid. He made a great play. Refs got it wrong

Can't blame Matthews this time I'm afraid. He made a great play. Refs got it wrong

Yes, you are correct, Corrente got that and a few others wrong.

I would strongly expect the NFL will modify this rule.

The refs got the Matthews penalty wrong, that sucked.

The Packers deciding to pass the ball twice, when there was 1:45 left on the clock, however was entirely self inflicted stupidity. Shoulda just gone for some safe runs and eaten the time up.

Its a funny feeling, a mixture of relief and frustration. some poor playcalling and time management cost us the game. Allot of positives though-
    Rodgers is improving on the injury front and done some things
    I wish we ran the ball more with Williams
    Defence looked good until kevin king got injured and house was poor
    Kenny clark is a beast

Its a funny feeling, a mixture of relief and frustration. some poor playcalling and time management cost us the game. Allot of positives though-
    Rodgers is improving on the injury front and done some things
    I wish we ran the ball more with Williams
    Defence looked good until kevin king got injured and house was poor
    Kenny clark is a beast

I couldnt quite agree.

The ease with which Cousins knifed thru the Packer defense was very concerning.

When they wanted the quick TD to get them back in the game, they got it

Easily.

When they needed a TD and a +2 to tie the game, they got it .

Easily.

If they had anyone but the poor lad kicking they would have won.

That said everything that could go against the Packers went against the Packers.

Almost afraid to watch the 40 min highlights tonight, might have to keep all bottles in the fridge and put a bit of chicken wire over the telly:mad:

I couldnt quite agree.

The ease with which Cousins knifed thru the Packer defense was very concerning.

When they wanted the quick TD to get them back in the game, they got it

Easily.

When they needed a TD and a +2 to tie the game, they got it .

Easily.

If they had anyone but the poor lad kicking they would have won.

That said everything that could go against the Packers went against the Packers.

Almost afraid to watch the 40 min highlights tonight, might have to keep all bottles in the fridge and put a bit of chicken wire over the telly:mad:
    I siad that the d looked good until kevin king went off and thats when cousins went to work

• Advertisement

I siad that the d looked good until kevin king went off and thats when cousins went to work

Ok cos, I'll accept that , but I was kind of looking at the big picture, the fact that even without King , Cousins cut us apart.

We should have adequate replacements.

Anyway cos, we were robbed by the poor officiating.

The pod people seem to target House as the reason for this.

Packers seemed clumpy on offence, not smooth, not in good tempo.

Now here's the question...why the fork do good QBs put up record figures against the Packers.... at Lambeau.... has been happening way too often.

What does it tell us....... For me ...no pressure on the QB.

But who am I.

Advertisement