Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Up the bum sex causes big stinker.

David Norris slips on gay poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Stop trying to play the victim. This has nothing to do with homosexuality. I happen to know that at least one of the Norris team who has quit (six have now quit by the way) is gay, how can you explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

DN so far has 18 votes above, Many of us stand by him, We dont complain about what straight people do so dont see why when a gay man like david has normal point of veiw he gets run over,

Many in our community still support him all the way, nobody can point out what already happens on the scene anyway regardless. try going to our clubs and see for yourself what david means and maybe youl have a better understanding
    should i have to remind you, that i have alot of friends who are gay, and decent people, who would not dare look at a child, just like me who happen to be straight,
    what we are on about is the fact gay or straight or otherwise, would look at a child in a sexual way, never mind carrying out a sex act on a child, it is gross, cruel, disgusting.
    david is also worried about the physological and material effect prision will have on his friend, well, if you do the crime, you have do do the time.
    and i ask you what effect will the act have on the child,
    please do tell, and dont call me anti gay.
    i was giving david my vote, that was until i read this letter, i did think alot of him, now i feel he does not take having child sex seriously, i have changed, and it was never about his being gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 northkildare

i think its wrong that most of us try to hide what goes on, anyone who is on the scene knows what goes on behind the scene, Fair play to DN for bringing the subject to light. He has done so much for us in the past and we should stand by him now rather than running him over,

He is our only hope of getting the rights we need, I remember he came to one of our meetings and the great support he gave us all regarding civil rights and adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If more people came to gay pride they would see how it is not the big bad evil people try to make it out to be.

The older guys always look after the new guys to the scene and very helpful, thats the point david is try to make and people think its wrong, Come to the next gay pride before saying things are evil, lots of good older gay guys out there.

I'd be very pro gay. But for me this isn't a case of gay v straight. If this was a about a 40 year old man and a 15 year old girl I would have the same reaction.

I am very disappointed because before this he would have easily got my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

What would happened if it was a woman riding a young lad?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

DN so far has 18 votes above, Many of us stand by him, We dont complain about what straight people do so dont see why when a gay man like david has normal point of veiw he gets run over,

Many in our community still support him all the way, nobody can point out what already happens on the scene anyway regardless. try going to our clubs and see for yourself what david means and maybe youl have a better understanding

Most people don't care about his sexuality, it's how he dealt with sexual abuse.
    Saying he could "guarantee absolutely" that Ezra Nawi would not re-offend is akin to a bishop moving an abusing priest and expecting the problem to go away.
    What is worse is his letter is three years after the Fr Brendan Symth affair so he as a legislator should be more than aware than one cannot "guarantee absolutely" the actions of a sex offender.
    He claims in the Independent they broke up in 1985 so how was he going to "guarantee absolutely" that his former lover would not re-offend.
    The fact is he couldn't. I am sure if any judge in Israel did see those letters they would be appalled at his expertise when it comes to sex. From what I see in his letters, David Norris thinks he is an expert because he was awarded an honoury diploma by the center for sexual minorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like BrummyTom for instance?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Probably a troll account but even so...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056343302
    Hello all,

Friends have pointed me in the direction of this discussion.

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere sorrow to both my supporters and the people of Ireland - I feel I have let you all down with the current revelations which are being bandies about. I never, ever, meant to cause this.

I was simply helping a dear friend in any way I could. Surely you would have done that same for a trusted companion?

There will be further details released in due course but please allow me time to recover and in time I shall furnish you with further details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It would be statutory rape.

The only difference (in Ireland) appears to be if both individuals were under age of consent- then I think the male alone would be guilty, or has the law been changed yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Thorella

I would still vote for Norris. Anyone else would step down but I admire him for continuing to try regardless of people trying their best to destroy him. Please don't tear into me, this is my first post :o

goat2 wrote: »
    should i have to remind you, that i have alot of friends who are gay, and decent people, who would not dare look at a child, just like me who happen to be straight,
    what we are on about is the fact gay or straight or otherwise, would look at a child in a sexual way, never mind carrying out a sex act on a child, it is gross, cruel, disgusting.
    david is also worried about the physological and material effect prision will have on his friend, well, if you do the crime, you have do do the time.
    and i ask you what effect will the act have on the child,
    please do tell, and dont call me anti gay.
    i was giving david my vote, that was until i read this letter, i did think alot of him, now i feel he does not take having child sex seriously, i have changed, and it was never about his being gay.

Im saying when on the scene its fine with a lot of people and when they come on here its like hush hush dont let people know what really goes on. be it right or wrong we all know this to be the fact and we should face the problems and not try cover it up like the church, least david has the bottle to come out and admit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭DaveSlats

David Norris is a fool.

If he wants to have, say, a silly chatshow nobody would object to that.

But to be a leader of state?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Thorella wrote: »
    I would still vote for Norris. Anyone else would step down but I admire him for continuing to try regardless of people trying their best to destroy him. Please don't tear into me, this is my first post :o
    That's strange.

If a bishop involved with abuses in the RCC wrote a similar letter and then stood by it would you still "admire him for continuing to try regardless of people trying their best to destroy him"?

I'd hope not anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

i didn't mean to post in a question sense,i meant maybe there might not been much uproar if was female doing the deed,the young lad probably be more than happy and not report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

later10 wrote: »

never be prosecuted tho, the issue is that people still think that if a 15 year old gay boy has gay sex it turns him gay (i doubt it tbh) but if a 15 year old straight boy has straight sex well its ok (could be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

David norris is now posting in the politics forum.

i didn't mean to post in a question sense,i meant maybe there might not been much uproar if was female doing the deed,the young lad probably be more than happy and not report.

but if the lad in this case was gay mabey he'd be happy ?

did he report or was it hios parents looking to report the man who gave their son the gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Tigger wrote: »
    never be prosecuted tho, the issue is that people still think that if a 15 year old gay boy has gay sex it turns him gay (i doubt it tbh) but if a 15 year old straight boy has straight sex well its ok (could be)

The issue, for me anyway, is that he used his office to try to influence judicial proceedings in another jurisdiction for a crime that also exists in this country. Firstly he had no mandate to do anything like that and secondly it is a serious abuse of his office.
    That is before you consider the type of crime it was and this countrys history with similar crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Dennis wrote: »
    goat2 wrote: »
    this is headed with our harp, .........

There appear to be completely separate three letters.

The main letter written to the court by Norris does NOT have a harp on it and seems to be a personal request for leniency of the sentence based on European and Irish law that Norris himself helped change. He goes to great lengths to outline who he is and has used plain paper in order to do that.

Of the other two, one is a coverpage and the other is a simple reference and is not trying to influence the outcome of anything.

All the correspondence made reference to his position in Ireland. he was obviously seeking to use his office for the benefit of a friend.

However, even if he didn't seek to use his position, his actions would still be acts of appalling judgement. He wrote to the judges after his friend had been found guilty of the statutory rape of a teenager. What on earth was he thinking? There was huge controversy a few years back when a FF TD wrote seeking leniency on behalf of one of his jailed constituents. Discrimination based on sexuality is a terrible thing; but so are double standards based on the same, and that's exactly what Norris' continuing supporters are applying.

Also- can we just ignore northkildare (the person and the place :D). Seriously, he's obviously a troll, and one that seems to want to dredge up homophobic sentiment. If we ignore him he'll slink back under his bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

realies wrote: »
    David norris is now posting in the politics forum.

I wouldn't believe that unless he is verified by boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Some people just want their token gay president, it's a bit sad really. Higgins all the way.

have to give david credit, he has bottle and thats why he has a lot of support, he is only repeating what goes on, on the scence anyway, all of us in the community has seen this happen more than once and anyone who says different is a liar,

David is in trouble over this because he is truthful about what we all know happens, it is not just us who know it, a lot of straight people have seen this happen within the gay circle and turn a blind eye so fair play to david for been honest, think its time more of our community to be honest with the public, hate going to meetings and been told lies.

The issue, for me anyway, is that he used his office to try to influence judicial proceedings in another jurisdiction for a crime that also exists in this country. Firstly he had no mandate to do anything like that and secondly it is a serious abuse of his office.
    That is before you consider the type of crime it was and this countrys history with similar crimes

i don't think that norris has a political carear left

but

i don't think he's a "bad" person either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

later10 wrote: »

The only difference (in Ireland) appears to be if both individuals were under age of consent- then I think the male alone would be guilty, or has the law been changed yet?

Young lad took a case to the High Court last year and the ruling was that only the male is culpable even though both are underage. Grossly unfair, so much for equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Thorella wrote: »

Another troll, great

We can never be allowed to adopt children until we face up to a few home truths and report the 60% of the community who we all now have been a party to this, they come on here and it makes me sick the hush hush.

No government is going allow adoption at this rate, The government have to put the kids first and im afraid i agree with them, from what iv seen and if the community were allowed to adopt, the church would be just a cup of tea compared to what would happen, yet we must face up to that fact, its hard but we got no choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Thorella

I am not a troll, its my first post so I apologise if it wasn't spectacular. Why assume I am a troll just because I still support him? I'm upset at these revelations, yet I stand by my support of him. I don't see any other intense campaigns against any of the other candidates, who I am sure have plenty of dodgy pasts.

After hours is fun to read but clearly not the best place to start writing on boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We can never be allowed to adopt children until we face up to a few home truths and report the 60% of the community who we all now have been a party to this, they come on here and it makes me sick the hush hush.

No government is going allow adoption at this rate, The government have to put the kids first and im afraid i agree with them, from what iv seen and if the community were allowed to adopt, the church would be just a cup of tea compared to what would happen, yet we must face up to that fact, its hard but we got no choice
    Are you defending David Norris, as well as saying that if gay people are allowed to adopt then they will abuse the children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

The Gay community in Ireland and elsewhere has always tried hard to distance itself from paedophilia because there are so many ignorant people who equate paedophilia with homosexuality.
    The fact that Norris (the most high profile gay man in the country) wrote a letter in support of a paedophile does not do that effort any favours.
    Some people on this thread seem to think that because Ezra's sexual relationship with the boy was consensual, it was less wrong. Sorry, but a child is a child. That is why there are laws to protect the child.
    What a shame for Norris. He's not the paedophile but his support of his friend under the circumstances showed an appalling lack of judgement and for that reason, among others which have nothing to do with his sexuality, I would not vote for him.

Advertisement