Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

We can never be allowed to adopt children until we face up to a few home truths and report the 60% of the community who we all now have been a party to this, they come on here and it makes me sick the hush hush.

No government is going allow adoption at this rate, The government have to put the kids first and im afraid i agree with them, from what iv seen and if the community were allowed to adopt, the church would be just a cup of tea compared to what would happen, yet we must face up to that fact, its hard but we got no choice

You can't be serious? :confused:

All the gay people I know (including myself) are sickened by this whole thing.

Homosexual does not equal pedophile. There are plenty of heterosexual people who abuse children but I don't see you stopping straight people from adopting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

flyaway. wrote: »

he's trolling, ignore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thread is turning out worse than those Israeli threads for re-regs & trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I think there does seem to be some double standards in peoples views on statutory rape when it is between two males as opposed to when it is female/male.
    I am in no way saying that what David Norris did was correct, I would say it was wrong and it will more than likely end his campaign now.
    I'm really surprised at what seems to be a very strong campaign against Norris even before any of these revelations came out, It looks like people have been digging very hard to find something to destroy him.
    I wonder who these people are and why they have been doing this? I think it was because he was the biggest threat to the other candidates.
    I find this http://www.davidnorris4president.com/ pretty disgusting , it reads like a US democrats website set up by fox news.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

he's trolling, ignore

I hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fionnula

That's strange.

If a bishop involved with abuses in the RCC wrote a similar letter and then stood by it would you still "admire him for continuing to try regardless of people trying their best to destroy him"?

I'd hope not anyway.

There are so many errors in this rebuttal. Do you really expect anyone to take that serious?
    1- Catholic clergy take a vow of celibacy and when engaging in sexual activity they are breaking a promise they made to their god and their followers
    2- The Roman Catholic church has a strict stance against homosexuality, not to mention pre-marital sex, and therefore a priest engaging in that behavior goes against all the other gays they contemptuously say are going to hell
    3- A priest raping or molesting a child is exactly that, there is no consent from the minor
    4- A 15 year old is 1 year away from age of consent in many countries and most young people of that age are already having sex

David Norris was not the person having sex with a minor. He has not engaged in any smear campaign against his opponents. I personally do not condone the activities of his friend; however, I do not understand the uproar about Norris defending his character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Talking about the foreign affairs bureau, his years in the Seanad and his future plans for the Áras while using the government harp makes it seem he was talking for the State

Was going to vote Michael D so he wasn't going to have my vote

If this was a bishop defending a parishioner who was to be sentenced, boards would have crashed (more then lately :) ) with the outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Fionnula wrote: »
    There are so many errors in this rebuttal. Do you really expect anyone to take that serious?
    1- Catholic clergy take a vow of celibacy and when engaging in sexual activity they are breaking a promise they made to their god and their followers
    2- The Roman Catholic church has a strict stance against homosexuality, not to mention pre-marital sex, and therefore a priest engaging in that behavior goes against all the other gays they contemptuously say are going to hell
    3- A priest raping or molesting a child is exactly that, there is no consent from the minor
    4- A 15 year old is 1 year away from age of consent in many countries and most young people of that age are already having sex

David Norris was not the person having sex with a minor. He has not engaged in any smear campaign against his opponents. I personally do not condone the activities of his friend; however, I do not understand the uproar about Norris defending his character.

Ok, am I being cynical that the biggest David Norris defenders on this thread are new posters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldnt let him near the job. Our new president needs to be creating links with other countries, David Norris will tarnish our already diminishing name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I'll be voting for Mary Davis.

I would have voted for Norris but not now. What he did was disgraceful.

I won't be voting for Gay Mitchell either, I'm sick of political dynasties ruling the roost. I won't vote for Seán Gallagher or Michael D. Higgins either. I'm sick of FF, FG and Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 northkildare

flyaway. wrote: »

Homosexual does not equal pedophile. There are plenty of heterosexual people who abuse children but I don't see you stopping straight people from adopting.

I have lots of straight friends and they wouldnt dream of letting my gay friends babysit and to be honest i can understand why after this plus i have heard some really bad stories and when it comes to light and goes to court the person tries to make it look normal to mess with a child.

If there is a risk to a child we cannot take that risk, DN has made it loud and clear what goes on so we can forget about adoption, We be lucky at this stage to be allowed to adopt a dog, iTs far more common in our gay scence than a straight scene and we are fools to say otherwise and the government know it only too well

I wouldnt let him near the job. Our new president needs to be creating links with other countries, David Norris will tarnish our already diminishing name.

Plus he seems to be pro-Israel from reading those letters. Apart from his work on gay rights he just seems to be a bit of a pompous bullshitter to be honest.

Have you read the letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I have lots of straight friends and they wouldnt dream of letting my gay friends babysit and to be honest i can understand why after this plus i have heard some really bad stories and when it comes to light and goes to court the person tries to make it look normal to mess with a child.

If there is a risk to a child we cannot take that risk, DN has made it loud and clear what goes on so we can forget about adoption, We be lucky at this stage to be allowed to adopt a dog, iTs far more common in our gay scence than a straight scene and we are fools to say otherwise and the government know it only too well

you're wierd, you have wierd ideas,

How many out of the closet gays or lesbians have been convicted of pedophilia? How many heterosexuals have been convicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oh my God. Have you read or understood anything about this case at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

A gay man raping or molesting a child is exactly that, there is no consent from the minor.
    A 15 year old is 1 year away from age of consent in many countries and most young people of that age are already having sex.
    An argument that many priests could have given for their encounters with teenage boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

How many out of the closet gays or lesbians have been convicted of pedophilia? How many heterosexuals have been convicted?

Stop feeding it

Oh my God. Have you read or understood anything about this case at all ?

I was commenting on the comparison to a Catholic member of clergy and to the smear campaign that only seems to be targeted at Norris and non of the other candidates.

Lets be honest would you let him or his convicted friends babysit your kids,

This is the man who wants himself and his buddies be allowed to adopt children omg he should be put in prision for just wanting that, could any imagine had the government allowed that to happen, you can be sure now that idea is out the window for good after this, people will never forget the dangers involved in allowing that to happen,

The kids rights come before gay rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    The Gay community in Ireland and elsewhere has always tried hard to distance itself from paedophilia because there are so many ignorant people who equate paedophilia with homosexuality.
    The fact that Norris (the most high profile gay man in the country) wrote a letter in support of a paedophile does not do that effort any favours.
    Some people on this thread seem to think that because Ezra's sexual relationship with the boy was consensual, it was less wrong. Sorry, but a child is a child. That is why there are laws to protect the child.
    What a shame for Norris. He's not the paedophile but his support of his friend under the circumstances showed an appalling lack of judgement and for that reason, among others which have nothing to do with his sexuality, I would not vote for him.

Bit rich calling people ignorant while you talk about padeophilia when you don't even understand what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I was commenting on the comparison to a Catholic member of clergy and to the smear campaign that only seems to be targeted at Norris and non of the other candidates.
    Perhaps because the other candidates haven't sent dodgy letters while acting as state representatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just got around to reading the letter there, this leaped out
    I am a serious and respected person both within my own community and to some extent internationally. I am fifty three years old, a former senior lecturer in the University of Dublin, Trinity College, a member of the Upper house of the Irish parliament and Chairman of the James Joyce Centre in Dublin. I was elected to my parliamentary position ten years ago fo the first time and have been reelected on several occasions since. At the recent election held last month I received the highest vote ever recorded in the Senate, being elected on the first count, and have been mentioned as a possible Presidential candidate in the forth coming elections for the Presidency of Ireland

He goes on to say how he is also a "senior member of the foreign affairs committee of our parliament".

It is clear he tried to use his position to influence things.

Personally I am disgusted with the man. I had issues with him from day one, and I even went to the trouble of emailing him about the main one, and his answer satisfied me. You can see the thread I started about it here:

David Norris on the 1916 Rebels.

Following that I planned to vote for him, the HLB controversy shook my support (she deserves apologies from a lot of people, she has been proved right imo) and lessened it, but I was still considering voting for him, rather than being the best candidate by far he was now one of the best in my mind, alongside Michael D Higgins.

However the latest revelations have disgusted me. Go home Norris, go home. You are a disgrace, and not only should you not be president, you should not be a Senator.

He said in his letter that he is "well respected", well, I for one have no respect for him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Lets be honest would you let him or his convicted friends babysit your kids,

This is the man who wants himself and his buddies be allowed to adopt children omg he should be put in prision for just wanting that, could any imagine had the government allowed that to happen, you can be sure now that idea is out the window for good after this, people will never forget the dangers involved in allowing that to happen,

The kids rights come before gay rights.
    My God you are one bad troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Up until this outrageous abuse of his political position, Norris had my vote but no way in hell will I vote for him now. Not only should Norris pull out of the presidential race he should resign from office imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Venom wrote: »
    Up until this outrageous abuse of his political position, Norris had my vote but way in hell will I vote for him now. Not only should Norris pull out of the presidential race he should resign from office imho.
    Won't happen i'm afraid as like all politicians he has the neck of a brass monkey.

Perhaps because the other candidates haven't sent dodgy letters while acting as state representatives?

Or perhaps non of the other candidates have been investigated to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Wow, you'd think David Norris and a bright red bullseye tattooed on his forehead with the amount of things people are digging up about him, I've met the man and i don't think he's a bad guy, he needs to learn though that there are just things that you don't do and opinions that you keep to yourself when you're in politics.

I would still vote for him though i still believe he's a good man.

your making out the priests are straight, they raped young boys they are gay, priests joined the church as they had no interest in women, they are gay.

if you dont agree priests be allowed adopt children how can you agree gay people should be allowed.

Were trying to protect kids not put them in clear danger, We all know a lot more in the gay scence we wudnt trust with kids so lets not kid ourselfs here its time to be honest and forget oh i want to give love to a child my rights are more important than a childs. nobody in the community seems to see how sick people feel about this,

Just look at the votes above for DN its sick and whos voting? people know who

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

But why were such lengths taken to dig this up? And why only in the case of Norris?

I'm not questioning that the information is there but I don't believe for one second that it was dug up because anyone believed it was important: this was slinging mud since the debacle where his comments were misrepresented.

Can we now expect people to go after the other candidates pasts with the same determination?

Advertisement