Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

later10 wrote: »
    Wonder what the other one is.

Once, back in 1972, he crossed the road when the green man was flashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The magnitude of that controversy depends on the identity of the man and what age he was when he was flashing David Norris.

later10 wrote: »
    The magnitude of that controversy depends on the identity of the man and what age he was when he was flashing David Norris.

Can't remember the details - someone ended up up the pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Lustrum wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on where the letter was leaked from? After all, someone has known about this letter for the last 19 years, but said nothing about it - in my mind that's as bad as writing the letter in the first place
    now you have hit the nail why was the letter not mentioned before because we are good at covering things up in ireland as usual but id say it was dragged out of it's hiding place because i have this sneaking suspicious feeling that somebody dident want a gay president in aras an uachtarain...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Orizio wrote: »
    Very simply, as people who grow up in Dublin city (and to a lesser extent, Cork and Limerick city) are well-educated, sophisticated and urbane, they are far too open minded and progressive to be homophobic. Urbanites are overwhelmingly pro-gay rights, and anti-tradtionalism while culchies tend to be overwhemlingly pro-Catholicism and extremely narrow minded in their views, invariably being racist, homophobic, sexist and so on.

As such, it stands to reason that if the media is attacking Norris with a homphobic hate campaign - as they are - the media must be culchie run. One needs only to look at the non-stop GAA coverage in the media - even though decent human beings play/follow rugby and cricket - and the media's massive defense of the RCC in recent weeks to show just how that the Irish-media is bogger run.

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lustrum wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on where the letter was leaked from? After all, someone has known about this letter for the last 19 years, but said nothing about it - in my mind that's as bad as writing the letter in the first place
    now you have hit the nail why was the letter not mentioned before because we are good at covering things up in ireland as usual but id say it was dragged out of it's hiding place because i have this sneaking suspicious feeling that somebody dident want a gay president in aras an uachtarain...

Who says it had anything to do with norris's sexuality. Maybe it was Norris himself that they didn't want as president. Maybe because of stuff like this.

I'd imagine the person maybe didn't feel the need to make it public until they saw Norris threatening to hold a position of such power. My dad is of the opinion that it was the Israelies who released it.

Just to clarify though. All of the above is speculation.

I am just so sick of people going on about norris's sexuality. It should not have anything to do with his campaign. People should be focused on Norris as a candidate, the same as all others. Not on Norris, the gay man. Surely we're past that. Why should his sexuality have any relevance whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who says it had anything to do with norris's sexuality. Maybe it was Norris himself that they didn't want as president. Maybe because of stuff like this.

I'd imagine the person maybe didn't feel the need to make it public until they saw Norris threatening to hold a position of such power. My dad is of the opinion that it was the Israelies who released it.

Just to clarify though. All of the above is speculation.

I am just so sick of people going on about norris's sexuality. It should not have anything to do with his campaign. People should be focused on Norris as a candidate, the same as all others. Not on Norris, the gay man. Surely we're pastvthst. Why should his sexuality have any relevance whatsoever?

Unfortunately despite trying to understand Norris and his position I had to rule him out as electable. Same if he'd wrote a letter for a 40 year old man and a 15 year old girl. I understand the context but it's still wrong.

I think the drib drab release of information is suspect, we've a very powerful religious, socially conservative and financially rich right wing in this country.

Mitchell is the front runner now and Dana is considering running. Look at the opposition to Higgins other than he's left wing and anti US who give us tourists and keep Shannon open.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There is a quote in the Mail on Sunday, it is a quote by David Norris back in 1975 where he says 'as a child, I had a great desire to be molested'.'

Seems he supports/supported child abuse along with his 'I don't believe in an age of consent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Min wrote: »
    There is a quote in the Mail on Sunday, it is a quote by David Norris back in 1975 where he says 'as a child, I had a great desire to be molested'.'

Seems he supports/supported child abuse along with his 'I don't believe in an age of consent'.
    Could you just imagine this sick f**k holding the office of president in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

dvpower wrote: »
    You provided no evidence whatsoever of any wrongdoing. This matter was before a court and there was an agreed settlement.

But do continue throwing out dirt, some of it might stick.

Just to be clear - you believe the HC building was his to sell and not the gay community's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Caulego

Hadn't heard this RTE radio interview with Nawi before, but he does clearly say that he knew the boy's age. How Norris, assumedly knowing the facts, could make a representation in the case, is questionable as regards any sort of moral insight. There appears to be some sort of weird and selective myopia around the idea that if you are 'gay', or belong to some 'minority' group, that you have some form of superior moral outlook or sense of entitlement, which is obviously not the case.

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think this thread just like Norris himself is history now.
    He's not coming back from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think this thread just like Norris himself is history now.
    He's not coming back from this.

Well it is post revelations and revelations are still coming out about David Norris.

Just to be clear - you believe the HC building was his to sell and not the gay community's?

I don't know, but since the agreed settlement ended up with DN getting money, I'm inclined towards that view. I think the gay community did get something out of it.

I don't know, but since the agreed settlement ended up with DN getting money, I'm inclined towards that view. I think the gay community did get something out of it.

if it emerged that he was in fact repaid well before the sale would you change your view of him and admit that he is a grasping hypocrite?

if it emerged that he was in fact repaid well before the sale would you change your view of him and admit that he is a grasping hypocrite?
    I'd continue to evaluate the known facts and come to a conclusion based on that; something you seem incapable of.

I'd continue to evaluate the known facts and come to a conclusion based on that; something you seem incapable of.

what facts exactly that I have written do you dispute? Or just the conclusion?

what facts exactly that I have written do you dispute? Or just the conclusion?

First, you'd have to tell me, of what you have written here about that case, what is fact and where is the evidence for it.

For example:
    the reason is that there is so little info is that the gay community (not Norris) had to agree to a confidentiality clause - they couldn't afford to fight the case.
    Where is the evidence that Norris is not bound by a a confidentiality clause, but the other side are?
    Where is the evidence that the reason they settled rather than fought the case was because they couldn't afford it?

So far as I can tell, from what has been written here and what I can find on the internet, the basic facts are that:
    Norris put up most or all of the initial funding for the building.
    When it was being disposed of there was some disagrement over disbursement.
    There was a court case that ended in an agreed settlement. Its not known in any detail what that settlement was.
    There was some unhappiness in some quarters over the agreed settlement.

After that there is very little known about the case. From what I can see of this case, there isn't reason to call Norris a 'grasping hypocrite'. Now, I wouldn't throw around that kind of accusation about anyone unless I was on very firm ground. You seem to be able to, but for the life of me I can't understand why.

Advertisement