Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options
  • 31-07-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a new poll to see what sort of impact the latest scandal has had on Norris' level of support here.

The letters he sent are available in full here for anyone that hasn't read them yet [pdf] - http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0730/norrisletter.pdf

So would you still consider him as a credible candidate, or are the latest developments just too serious to overlook?

If you had intended to vote for him and now won't, who do you think you'll support instead?

Would you vote for David Norris? 775 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    38% 298 votes
    Maybe
    61% 477 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I wouldn't have voted for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thought I'd start a new poll to see what sort of impact the latest scandal has had on Norris' level of support here.

The letters he sent are available in full here for anyone that hasn't read them yet [pdf] - http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0730/norrisletter.pdf

So would you still consider him as a credible candidate, or are the latest developments just too serious to overlook?
    this is headed with our harp,
    and before the trial
    so there are people who got to know him here in ireland according to this, who are they, what do they think

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I wouldn't have voted for him either. I can't understand how people could even before the recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hadn't decided who I was going to vote for, because none of the candidates stood out. They're still all a bit meh as far as I'm concerned, Norris included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for starting a new poll, I was about to suggest one to the moderators.

I've changed from a definite YES to NO today and I've removed my Sen.David Norris signature too.

I'm truely disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Should have been a "I don't plan on voting at all now" option :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Appalling thing to do. Michael D all the way for me now!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't know any other candidates :o Don't think can vote for him now though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

that letter was sent on sinead paper with the sinead address, and at the taxpayers expense i guess, which means it looks like we all had something to do with it, he is speaking of irish law, well israel has its own laws, and it was their business, to do as they wished, also he wanted a non custodial sentence, and there was no remorse for the child or his family in this letter

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Should have been a "I don't plan on voting now" option :P

Probably a good idea to still vote. Otherwise you're tacitly supporting your least favoured candidate. I'll most like vote for Michael D.. The others seem like complete opportunists imo.. The thoughts of that turnip lookalike Gay Mitchell as our president makes me shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Thanks for starting a new poll, I was about to suggest one to the moderators.

I've changed from a definite YES to NO today and I've removed my Sen.David Norris signature too.

I'm truely disappointed.

Why were you supporting him before the recent revelation anyway? Were the previous controversies not enough to dissuade you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I think it has been shown beyond doubt that he abused his office and so has lost credibility in my eyes. I prbably wasn't going to vote for him anyway but that is something that I'm sure of now

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Can anyone shed some light on where the letter was leaked from? After all, someone has known about this letter for the last 19 years, but said nothing about it - in my mind that's as bad as writing the letter in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Can someone give me a potted version of what's going on?

Lustrum wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on where the letter was leaked from? After all, someone has known about this letter for the last 19 years, but said nothing about it - in my mind that's as bad as writing the letter in the first place
    for me i dont care whether it was leaked or not, but i am glad someone brought it back to life, it tells the mindset of the person,

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

David Norris is certainly not getting my vote now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dennis

goat2 wrote: »
    this is headed with our harp, .........

There appear to be completely separate three letters.

The main letter written to the court by Norris does NOT have a harp on it and seems to be a personal request for leniency of the sentence based on European and Irish law that Norris himself helped change. He goes to great lengths to outline who he is and has used plain paper in order to do that.

Of the other two, one is a coverpage and the other is a simple reference and is not trying to influence the outcome of anything.

<snip>

-
    potentially legally dodgy post you quoted removed.

Dennis wrote: »
    goat2 wrote: »
    this is headed with our harp, .........

There appear to be completely separate three letters.

The main letter written to the court by Norris does NOT have a harp on it and seems to be a personal request for leniency of the sentence based on European and Irish law that Norris himself helped change. He goes to great lengths to outline who he is and has used plain paper in order to do that.

Of the other two, one is a coverpage and the other is a simple reference and is not trying to influence the outcome of anything.

He signed all three letters with "Senator", therefore he is bringing public office into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I was in the maybe/don't know camp before this weekend - it is a definite no now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hypocrisy Hypocrisy Hypocrisy .... If it were a TD he would be expelled for the party... If it were a bishop on behalf of a priest... well there would be total uproar..

David Norris his former lover was convicted of statutory rape, he should have left well alone.

Interesting he says that the guy was abused by his father. Usually the case as the abused become the abusers.

David Norris will never hold the office of President. He should have had better judgement that to use his office of Senator to write such a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

TL;DR

Vote Norris.

Openly Gay President dealing with the Catholic Church for the lulz!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Wow. No, I would not vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 northkildare

DN so far has 18 votes above, Many of us stand by him, We dont complain about what straight people do so dont see why when a gay man like david has normal point of veiw he gets run over,

Many in our community still support him all the way, nobody can point out what already happens on the scene anyway regardless. try going to our clubs and see for yourself what david means and maybe youl have a better understanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

DN so far has 18 votes above, Many of us stand by him, We dont complain about what straight people do so dont see why when a gay man like david has normal point of veiw he gets run over,

Many in our community still support him all the way, nobody can point out what already happens on the scene anyway regardless. try going to our clubs and see for yourself what david means and maybe youl have a better understanding

His sexuality has nothing to do with why I would or wouldn't vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

Was never warm to Norris but after this I think he's not fit to be a senator never mind President.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Which club allow 40 year olds to hook up with 15 year olds? You're talking through your hat mate.

His sexuality has nothing to do with why I would or wouldn't vote for him
    Which club allow 40 year olds to hook up with 15 year olds? You're talking through your hat mate.

Can you please cop onto ourselves and stop feeding the troll? He'll get bored soon and fúck off back under the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

It was always between Norris and Higgins for me, will most likely vote for Higgins now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 northkildare

If more people came to gay pride they would see how it is not the big bad evil people try to make it out to be.

The older guys always look after the new guys to the scene and very helpful, thats the point david is try to make and people think its wrong, Come to the next gay pride before saying things are evil, lots of good older gay guys out there.

Advertisement