Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

"Cycle lanes" and to a lesser extent "cycle paths" are collection areas for broken glass and other road debris.

They're only swept once in a blue moon, so if they're strewn with broken glass I see no reason to use them.

I passed this spot on the Western Distributor Road recently. The "cycle lane" surface is completely degraded, and the amount of broken glass (due to the placement of the bottle bank and the absence of road maintenance) is staggering.

To compound the problem, my passage through the roundabouts was blocked by motorised traffic.

After getting two punctures in quick succession on glass-encrusted "cycle lanes" I put Bontrager 'Hard Case' puncture-resistant tyres on the bike. Doing well so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Was a good piece - Galway City Council where not very convincing. Was surprised Ciarain Hayes contradicted himself though during the interview. Galway Cycling Campaign member was giving an example in the Strategy of how the document had a specific purpose to build cycle lanes on Threadneedle Road(Where there are two secondary schools and road is wide enough that it does not need cycle lanes) yet they failed to looking at how to get students from the the Knocknacarra area to Threadneedle road. Seems to me they are trying to solve problems that dont actually exisit.

Was a good piece - Galway City Council where not very convincing. Was surprised Ciarain Hayes contradicted himself though during the interview. Galway Cycling Campaign member was giving an example in the Strategy of how the document had a specific purpose to build cycle lanes on Threadneedle Road(Where there are two secondary schools and road is wide enough that it does not need cycle lanes) yet they failed to looking at how to get students from the the Knocknacarra area to Threadneedle road. Seems to me they are trying to solve problems that dont actually exisit.

I tuned in to hear the GBFM discussion but unfortunately I was interrupted several times.

The Galway Cycling Campaign's point about Threadneedle Road sounded like it was going to be a well-argued example of the issues, but I didn't get to hear it, or the City Council response.

The "more cycle lanes" meme is very dominant, however, so I can imagine that some people -- including those who don't or won't cycle regularly -- would regard cycle lanes on Threadneedle Road as A Good Thing.

My guess would be that the usual motoring free-for-all would apply if cycle lanes were installed without other measures being put in place also, ie they would just be used for parking on.

The footpath network is much more extensive than the cycling equivalent, including near schools, and they're routinely used as extra road space, so I wouldn't be hopeful that bunging in bits and pieces of cycle "facilities" would make a significant difference. That said, I gather that the Council's apparent motivation for constructing sections of cycle infrastructure here and there is the recurring public demands for such things.

Either that or else 'somebody' is telling Local Authorities to put in "cycle lanes" when the opportunity arises, regardless of whether the resulting "facilities" have any real meaning in life.

2011NationalCycletoSchoolandWorkDay1.jpg

2011NationalCycletoSchoolandWorkDay2.jpg

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I tuned in to hear the GBFM discussion but unfortunately I was interrupted several times.
    Podcast should be online on galwaynews.ie tomorrow.

The "more cycle lanes" meme is very dominant, however, so I can imagine that some people -- including those who don't or won't cycle regularly -- would regard cycle lanes on Threadneedle Road as A Good Thing.
    Either that or else 'somebody' is telling Local Authorities to put in "cycle lanes" when the opportunity arises, regardless of whether the resulting "facilities" have any real meaning in life.

It is - especially from those who as you said - don't cycle regularly. According to Mr Hayes in the debate this is what the public want from his 700 response's to a Survey the Council carried out.
    Strange how they did not carry out a survey regarding the removal of the N6 roundabouts?

Where is the first picture with cycle lanes taken?

• Advertisement

Re the Walking and Cycling Strategy on Galway Bay FM's - Galway Talks Show(The old Keith Finnegan
    Show) today: 10.10.2012.

Play this using Windows Media Player for example:
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/sites/www.galwaynews.ie/files/wed_10th_.mp3

It is discussed from:
    1h22.14
    to
    1h40:09 (the end of the show)

It is - especially from those who as you said - don't cycle regularly. According to Mr Hayes in the debate this is what the public want from his 700 response's to a Survey the Council carried out.
    Strange how they did not carry out a survey regarding the removal of the N6 roundabouts?

Money talks, but it don't sing and dance, and it don't walk (or cycle).

As I recall the City Council didn't include a question about roundabouts in its survey, but it still got a large number of responses identifying Galway roundabouts as significant barriers to active travel.

Despite that, apart from the expensive N6 Multi-Modal scheme there is no sign of any action being taken to remove or modify the many other cycle and pedestrian hostile roundabouts. The two monstrosities at either end of the SQR, for example.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Just as a thought, given that cycling issues have come to the fore and there appears to be little appetite to deal with them among our elected representatives, is there an opportunity for a Cycling Candidate? People have been elected on narrower platforms before.

800 first preferences will see you over the line in Galway West and East, Collette Connolly managed to ride the transfer rollercoaster with just 541 first preferences in Galway Central. Even as an independent who is repugnant to all but your own core voters, 1100 will probably see you right. Surely there's a critical mass there in a town that's been relatively kind to the Greens before they proved how cheaply they could be bought.

****, if there was a Boards Cycling Candidate put forward, I'd offer my services as poster hanger/consigliere/Malcolm Tucker/pedestrian botherer/eminence grise (delete where applicable).

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Robbo wrote: »
    Just as a thought, given that cycling issues have come to the fore and there appears to be little appetite to deal with them among our elected representatives, is there an opportunity for a Cycling Candidate? People have been elected on narrower platforms before.

800 first preferences will see you over the line in Galway West and East, Collette Connolly managed to ride the transfer rollercoaster with just 541 first preferences in Galway Central. Even as an independent who is repugnant to all but your own core voters, 1100 will probably see you right. Surely there's a critical mass there in a town that's been relatively kind to the Greens before they proved how cheaply they could be bought.

****, if there was a Boards Cycling Candidate put forward, I'd offer my services as poster hanger/consigliere/Malcolm Tucker/pedestrian botherer/eminence grise (delete where applicable).

Lobby group to lobby our existing Councilors ? But if they'd only listen.

Money talks, but it don't sing and dance, and it don't walk (or cycle).

As I recall the City Council didn't include a question about roundabouts in its survey, but it still got a large number of responses identifying Galway roundabouts as significant barriers to active travel.

Despite that, apart from the expensive N6 Multi-Modal scheme there is no sign of any action being taken to remove or modify the many other cycle and pedestrian hostile roundabouts. The two monstrosities at either end of the SQR, for example.

You can skew surveys with type of questions asked still interesting that alot of survey respondents felt that Multi Lane Roundabouts where/are a barrier for them if they wished to cycle and walk in the City. Brown(behind UCHG) is planned to be removed as its on the N6/N59. It's last on the list. Dont believe any plans for one at Fort Lorenzo? Have heard city officials mention that they also have "plans" to remove Roundabout at GMIT so perhaps it will happen in the distance future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The NRA will not pay to remove Fort Lorenzo, Suicide Cross and GMIT, they not being on any N Road.

Corrib Park could be done before the summer unless they make it controversial like they did with the Menlo Park project. I can see big problems with the old SQR stump leading to the college so maybe Corrib Park will be controversial. It all depends on UCHG agreeing to leave the back gate open ....and they refused to so far.

Headford Road roundabout will be next but as for the Menlo Park and Corrib Park roundabouts, who knows when they will start.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The NRA will not pay to remove Fort Lorenzo,Suicide Cross and GMIT, they not being on any N Road.
    True - it would have to be City Council for these 3 to be changed. Cemetry Cross is not that bad - at least vechicles dont have a chance to pick up speed on it; but I would guess that it does have a lot of accidents on it due to its size and volume of traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭jkforde

I listened to the chat on gbfm on the cycle & walk strategy and the most relevant thing said was that a social change of attitude to anything other than car travel is needed and with that an acceptance of the rule of law and common decency, because there's commonly a wilful lack of both in this city. Putting in infrastructure is all well and good but how people use it and maintain it is the bigger, longer social issue we all face.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

There were only two regular cyclists involved in that discussion, ttbomk.

Although I stand to be corrected, because I know a third attempted a while back to resurrect his bike from the shed only to be told it was beyond redemption... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I cycle daily on the Quincentenary bridge. Thankfully I've never had a puncture. I use a road bike with kevlar tyres. However I think cycling on it could be the death of me. On wet or icy days when I cycle over the "bumps" area I could easily fall off. Its the exact same width as my tyre and if I hit it at a slight angle or hit the top of the bump I slip a bit which puts me off balance.

Does anyone else have the same issue on a road bike? The bumps go in the direction of cycling and on the footpath side the are perpendicular. Its safer if I go on the footpath at these points, but with all the walking students its not always possible.

Hi Sniipe,

your better off cycling on the road in frosty/icy conditions on a road bike. Roads are usually salted unlike paths. Have hybrid bike with road wheels/tyres - I avoid cycle paths/lanes in Galway all the time to avoid the glass, grit, dirt, poor surfaces(like you describe) and leaves. Journey times and distances can be longer as a result but far less punctures and better bike handling when using the road.

what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sniipe wrote: »
    Does anyone else have the same issue on a road bike?

For that very reason I cycle a hybrid with mountain bike tyres, the thin tyres just don't feel stable enough if the surface isn't perfectly smooth.

On wet or icy days when I cycle over the "bumps" area I could easily fall off. Its the exact same width as my tyre and if I hit it at a slight angle or hit the top of the bump I slip a bit which puts me off balance.

Does anyone else have the same issue on a road bike? The bumps go in the direction of cycling and on the footpath side the are perpendicular. Its safer if I go on the footpath at these points, but with all the walking students its not always possible.

Is this the kind of paving you are talking about?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65483221&postcount=146

Recently installed along the N6 as per: http://www.galwaycity.ie/N6/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah I have the same problem. The grooves are roughly the width of the road tyre, much safer to use the footpath at these points.
    You'd think the Council are trying to tell cyclists something! What is the purpose of them?

your better off cycling on the road in frosty/icy conditions on a road bike.
    I couldn't imagine cycling on the road section of the bridge. Motorist are crazy during rush hour.
    Is this the kind of paving you are talking about?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65483221&postcount=146
    Yes thats what I was on about. Pretty dangerous in my opinion. I am a good cyclist, but this piece worries me when its wet/icy.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Yeah I have the same problem. The grooves are roughly the width of the road tyre, much safer to use the footpath at these points.
    Yea - I agree, but its not always an option with the volume of students. I always imagine slipping on that part and falling out onto the road and a car hitting me with a load of students right next to the incident because I couldn't go on the footpath.

• Advertisement

I cycle daily on the Quincentenary bridge. Thankfully I've never had a puncture. I use a road bike with kevlar tyres. However I think cycling on it could be the death of me. On wet or icy days when I cycle over the "bumps" area I could easily fall off. Its the exact same width as my tyre and if I hit it at a slight angle or hit the top of the bump I slip a bit which puts me off balance.

I absolutely hate cycling over the QB, and I avoid it like the plague. I cycled over it a couple of months ago (west to east) when I was in a hurry and immediately regretted it. The number of 'salmon cyclists' -- many of them not looking where they were going -- was ridiculous.

May I ask why you use that route?

Could there be an alternative?

May I ask why you use that route?

Could there be an alternative?
    I live on the headford road and I work in Dangan. There is no other route really.

I'd prefer to be posting right now in "river taxing in the city" :)

I live on the headford road and I work in Dangan. There is no other route really.

No easy way of avoiding it here.
    Guess the only option is to use as little of the N6 crap cycle paths as possible. They are installing steps on the north side of the Dyke road onto the N6 and @ NUIG on the Kingfisher side so may eventually be able to cycle down the Dyke road - wheel bike up steps - cross the bridge and the wheel bike down steps into NUIG opposite the Engineering Building and vice versa on the Commute.

I've heard rumours of someone commuting to the University by boat from Annaghdown!

Yes thats what I was on about. Pretty dangerous in my opinion. I am a good cyclist, but this piece worries me when its wet/icy.

Agree - the council have installed a hazard with this new paving for no good reason that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I'm not familiar with exactly where this paving you speak of is so could be completely off the mark here- but could it be to aid the visually impaired in knowing where to cross?

That's what I had assumed from where it'd laid in places like the Doughiska Road.

Mr_A wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with exactly where this paving you speak of is so could be completely off the mark here- but could it be to aid the visually impaired in knowing where to cross?

You need to see it Mr A - its not at crossings. Unless there is an expectation from City Hall that visually impaired persons can cross 4 lanes of traffic at these points?

Mr_A wrote: »
    FYI: They have installed this type of paving at the top of the stairwell which provides access down to the Dyke Road.
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.282864,-9.058144&spn=0.000003,0.003098&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.282864,-9.058144&panoid=aP2U9Igp2f8nnfuU2breCw&cbp=12,190.44,,0,6.61

Would not cross here in the middle of the day even if I had 20/20 vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Oh right. That's what I thought was meant, but I reconsidered as it doesn't seem to make any sense.

_38552705_dougal_150.jpg

It's a bit mad Ted.

Edit: Could it be to tell the visually impaired that the steps are there maybe? On the Doughiska Road it's perpendicular to the road further away from the road edge, but parallel near to it. So the only way it would make any sense would be if this was reversed here. And from posts above I don't think that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

On wet or icy days when I cycle over the "bumps" area I could easily fall off

Get a helmet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement