Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

[QUOTE=beardybrewer;100968481http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/09/07/4126189-restrictive-park-byelaws-planned/[/QUOTE]

"
    Cycling, skateboarding, roller skating or roller blading in parks will also be banned, as will operating “any model aircraft, model sailing vessel or any model mechanically propelled vehicle”.
    "

Will it be enforced though? City Council Management are great at talking the talk but are usually very poor on the implementation.
    Is this a Council Executive led initiative?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

No, but it gives the public the impetus to further decry cyclists being a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm presuming that this is all about minimising the council's public liability insurance bill. So even if there is no enforcement, when someone sues the council because they broke a bone while skateboarding or tree-climbing, the answer can be "You shouldn't have been doing that, go away" instead "Oh, you poor thing, have a few grand to compensate you for your trauma".

Apart from the bit about picking flowers (which I totally support - taking flowers from a private garden is stealing, public gardens should be just the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Where Da Fk are the 36 parks in Galway?

No, but it gives the public the impetus to further decry cyclists being a nuisance.

Would agree, to me it looks like the main target is older children and teenagers.
    Why do the City Council hate these young people so much?

• Advertisement

Where Da Fk are the 36 parks in Galway?

Listed here: http://www.galwaycity.ie/public-parks-information

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Market St. (Boys school)

I'd say you mean Lombard street?

Sorry, original post too old now, please ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Only 26 there.

You're right. Maybe even only 25.

I reckon the rest will be sports fields that are just set up for sports not regarded as public park area. The Plots is one example I can think of, am pretty sure there are others around the place, eg Mervue Public Park is on the list, but there are several separate sports fields there names after different local heros.

Lisbeg Lawn is another I wouldn't be sure of the status of: I'm guessing the area is long since taken in charge by the council, so it should be included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A membership promotion by An Rothar Nua for the Galway City Bike Scheme (Coke Zero Bikes).
    There will be an opportunity at Eyre Square from 12-3 on 22/09 to join as a new annual member free-of-charge, worth €10

• Advertisement

can win a bike as well if you use one of the Bikeshare bikes snubbleste.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/535/59/On-22nd-September-Only-Cycle-a-Public-Bike-and-Win-Your-Own-Bike/

Says in this News article Bikeshare Scheme to be expanded with 9 new stations (3 in NUIG Grounds) by end of 2016

Noticed bikeshare stations been constructed at junction of College Rd & Lough Atalia and also @ Glenina Heights opposite the Hospice.
    Any other stations under construction?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement