Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Yes and yes.

Good luck! And enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Lacha wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of cycling in Galway city? Would it be do-able to and cycle from Knocknacarra to Renmore?

Yes it is. Recommend going through town and then Lough Atalia, rather than Quincentenary Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

You can go by the train tracks too to save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lacha wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of cycling in Galway city? Would it be do-able to and cycle from Knocknacarra to Renmore?

Knocknacarrs to Renmore is easy, you have cycle lanes most of the way, you will be grand.

• Advertisement

Yes it is. Recommend going through town and then Lough Atalia, rather than Quincentenary Bridge.

Terrible idea, there are cycle lanes from knocknacarra to Sean Mulvoy road, the can then get on the main road, it's also a lot safer.

Cycling through the docks slows you down because of traffic and lights and adds over 1km to the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with recent cycling thread.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Terrible idea, there are cycle lanes from knocknacarra to Sean Mulvoy road, the can then get on the main road, it's also a lot safer.

Cycling through the docks slows you down because of traffic and lights and adds over 1km to the journey.

No its not. Better surface if you stick to on road - and avoid Magic Roundabout. Not as exposed to the wind. Agree it adds 1/2 km to the journey

No its not. Better surface if you stick to on road - and avoid Magic Roundabout. Not as exposed to the wind. Agree it adds 1/2 km to the journey

Absolutely.

When I used to do a c. 12 km commute in the east of the city, I avoided the "cycle lanes" over the Quincentenary Bridge like the plague. Absolute rubbish they were, and still are. Besides, I hate sharing space with all those "salmon" cyclists. ;)

That idiotic heap of sh it known as the Bodkin Roundabout is also best avoided.

The Docks route does add unnecessarily to the journey time because of the Council's stupid and counter-productive policy of making cyclists follow every single one-way street as if they were motorists. However, I put up with this crap because it was a better route overall.

That said, when the Bodkin roundabout is removed (yippee!) this junction may well be better for cyclists, in which case the SQR, Sean Mulvoy, Moneenageisha route may well be continuous and, er, extremely adequate for cyclists.

The earlier poster who suggested cycling along the railway line neglected to mention one important fact: it's prohibited. Another stupendous decision in the city where the Council takes out full-page ads in the local press to encourage you to cycle. Go figure...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    That said, when the Bodkin roundabout is removed (yippee!) this junction may well be better for cyclists, in which case the SQR, Sean Mulvoy, Moneenageisha route may well be continuous and, er, extremely adequate for cyclists.

Doubt it very much from reviewing the plans at: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/281011_03.pdf

Look at where the place the cycle lane for cyclists heading inbound into the town on the Headford road for example. Madness
    I avoid it 99% of the time now on the bike and will also in the future.

Good point re One Way Systems

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Doubt it very much from reviewing the plans at: http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/281011_03.pdf

Look at where the place the cycle lane for cyclists heading inbound into the town on the Headford road for example. Madness
    I avoid it 99% of the time now on the bike and will also in the future.

Good point re One Way Systems

The one that curls my toenails is on the Sean Mulvoy Arm where they are putting Westbound cyclists between cars weaving both left and right for no other reason than it gives them a nice long slip lane.

I think I see what you mean.

Had a look at that map and struggled to see how everything is meant to work.

It looks large and complicated. The junction, that is.

I'd love to invite some Council officials and their consultant engineers to try it out on a bike, especially with kids on board.

Attachment not found.

The one that curls my toenails is on the Sean Mulvoy Arm where they are putting Westbound cyclists between cars weaving both left and right for no other reason than it gives them a nice long slip lane.

Can you point this out on the map?

Is the slip lane the Left In/left Out junction?

Will the vehicles weaving right be those exiting left and then heading towards the Terryland direction on the N6?

Ya that one stands out alright.

Ya that one stands out alright.

Can you post a screenshot of that specific section, preferably from the high-res original?

I'm having trouble recognising it (high time I got specs tbh).

bodkin.jpg

This might help?

Came across this and thought of this thread

Maperitive is free to use and looks simple enough once you have the basics.

Here's a 5 min vid showing it in action for hiking trails, no sound, but you get the idea.

Anyway, thought it might be useful for the cycling guys, enjoy

Speaking of cycling (and walking) conditions in the city - the elected City Council is due to consider a draft Walking and Cycling Strategy for the city and environs at their meeting on April 16th (Monday). They will be able to amend the document as well. (there is no draft on-line unfortunately)

Ideally the end document would closely match the philosophy of the National Cycle Policy Framework
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/11387-0.pdf

Particularly chapter 2 and the "Hierarchy of Solutions".

If there is stuff in that list you want to see done for cycling in Galway now is the time to get onto your local councillor. Bear in mind that the officials appear to be trying to actively evade the provisions of the National Cycle Policy Framework if you want stuff to happen you will have to fight for it. :D

There is already lobbying going on PM me if you want to co-ordinate efforts.

The Walking and Cycling Strategy for the city and environs is now finally coming before the city council at their next meeting on Monday 24th September at 4pm.

There is a lobbying campaign going on at the moment (By Cycling Campaign and An Mheitheal Rothar from Uni) looking to get changes made under the following headings.
    • Zebra Crossings
      Reason: Current draft does not mention them
    • Child Friendly Roads
      Residential roads that are not main roads that are managed for something other than moving cars.
    • Vehicle Restricted Streets instead of Pedestrian Zones
      Reason: Shop Street Pedestrianisation shut down a key cross-city cycle route with no clear alternatives provided. Want it to happen again with Raven Terrace or Middle St?
    • Roads around educational insitutions
      Reason: Current strategy contains a curious lack of measures to improve access to Uni Campus etc
    • Pinch points and road narrowings
      Reason: Current strategy proposes to base traffic calming on measures that make cycling conditions dangerous and uncomfortable, traffic islands, build outs, chicanes etc
    • Speed Management Strategy
      Reason: Creating a walking and cycling friendly envirnoment is about the whole city - not just a token city centre 30kph zone. eg 50kph means 50kph - say on Shantalla Rd or Kingston

If anyone would like more info or preferably to help talking to councillors please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Has anyone else noticed that the hook box at the Briarhill junction as you approach from the city side (i.e. with the Clayton on your right) seems useless and possibly dangerous?

I thought the idea of these was to alleviate the difficulty for cyclists of crossing multiple lanes for right turns by making it possible to stay on the left and make your way to the hook box so that when the lights change again you can go again and complete the turn. I tried to use this and had to quickly readjust as the lights were allowing traffic through the hook box. So I guess you're meant to use one of the straight on lanes to get to it instead.. but that isn't obvious. Seems to me that this is so awkward to use that they should remove it rather than risk luring cyclists into oncoming traffic :eek:

I know there is a tunnel there, but it's often so covered in glass that I prefer not to use it.

Hi

I case there is anyone here interested there is a new thread request discussing setting up a forum for non-sports cycling. General cycling does not have its own forum at the moment

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056755344

Edit: the format is post a reply with "+1" if you agree or "-1" if you disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Hi!
    My daughter who is just 14, and a very occasional cyclist, wants to start cycling to and back from school.

The route would be from Ballinfoile Park, through the Dyke Road, up on to the Q. bridge, then throught Westside etc. to St.Enda's Secondary in Threadneedle Road. And return...

I maintain that it is not safe enough, especially when it's raining/ dark/ windy, with the very narrow Dyke Road, and many roundabouts etc, and the deadly junction on Taylor's hill, as well as steep hills etc. She would always have an very heavy bag on her shoulders.
    She's not very road aware I find, though she is athletic so the physical aspect would not be a problem.

I am not a driver, and my husband, who is, maintains it's fine and she should be allowed. There are cycle lanes on the bridge, and maybe further?

To be honest, I'd rather let her cycle in Paris than in Galway! I am a cyclist and stopped cycling once I was out in the suburbs...

What do the Galway cyclists here think?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Hi!
    My daughter who is just 14, and a very occasional cyclist, wants to start cycling to and back from school.

The route would be from Ballinfoile Park, through the Dyke Road, up on to the Q. bridge, then throught Westside etc. to St.Enda's Secondary in Threadneedle Road. And return...

I maintain that it is not safe enough, especially when it's raining/ dark/ windy, with the very narrow Dyke Road, and many roundabouts etc, and the deadly junction on Taylor's hill, as well as steep hills etc. She would always have an very heavy bag on her shoulders.
    She's not very road aware I find, though she is athletic so the physical aspect would not be a problem.

I am not a driver, and my husband, who is, maintains it's fine and she should be allowed. There are cycle lanes on the bridge, and maybe further?

To be honest, I'd rather let her cycle in Paris than in Galway! I am a cyclist and stopped cycling once I was out in the suburbs...

It's not an insignificant cycle so she has to be admired for wanting to take it on. Your concerns are obviously valid and you're right to worry. When you say she's not road aware this could be a good opportunity to change that - as you're a cyclist yourself, could the two of you spend some preparatory time on bikes together where you pass on some pointers?

The other issues you mention are ones which can be quite readily addressed:
    - There are excellent and good value lights available that will make a cyclist clearly visible. Combining some mounted on the frame and perhaps attached to a jacket or bag will help.
    - A heavy bag can be shifted to a bike rack, there are some very good options there. I use a pannier bag which alternates between being a bag mounted on the rack and a backpack when I'm wandering around.

Thanks for the advice!
    What about the route itself?
    For example, I read in this thread that many cyclists choose not to take the cycle lanes on the Q. bridge. Are they still as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Thanks for the advice!
    For example, I read in this thread that many cyclists choose not to take the cycle lanes on the Q. bridge. Are they still as bad?
    I haven't been on them for awhile (my route used to be Doughiska - Dangan via the bridge) and while they do have problems I wouldn't let them get in the way. For me, they were:
    - Coming down Sean Mulvoy road and around the roundabout I found getting onto the cycle lane could be challenging as you have to get up off the road. From the route you outline I don't think that's going to be an issue.
    - Broken glass on the paths. You do need to pay attention to the surface but not enough to stop me using them.

The changes to the junction with the Newcastle Road made things much easier at that end. You do need to be careful of left turning traffic as many drivers forget they have a [cycle] lane on their left to consider. Hopefully someone who has cycled them more recently can comment (been 6-7 months for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Hi!

I think you ought to let her.

Maybe cycle the route with her a few times and see for yourself where any potential hazards may be. You say she's not very road aware? how so? maybe you're not giving her enough credit.

I'd recomend a carrier for her bag, long term lugging a bag and cycling could be traumatic on her back, and good lights are essential. But other than that fair play to her for wanting to do it, way too many teenagers are content to be dropped to the door.

My neice who is also 14 sometimes cycles in to the jes from baile na gCoiste. I couldn't believe it when she told me only about 1 in 10 cycle to school. In my day (20-25 yrs ago) it was at least half. Nearly every wall of the school building had bikes locked against it.

Cycling in the city is not dangerous as people (most who don't cycle at all) make out. I cycle salthill to the tuam road everyday for the last ten years and i've never had an accident and there are no cycle lanes on the route. I cycled from barna to the jes everyday when i was in school and never had an accident then either.

Oh I know it's great that she wants to cycle, she always took the bus to school, after primary school, to which she was driven. we weren't going to let her become one of these car-bound kids!

That's mainly why I say she is not very road-aware, she doesn't walk nor cycle much anywhere, always takes buses etc. Also she's a bit of a dreamer.

It's mainly the route I'm worried about, plus I know that roads can get very slippy etc in the rain, and visibility is bad.

I would not cycle this route myself twice everyday in winter, I feel she would be even less able to cope with the 'aggression' of some car drivers, the roughness ( and unpredictability!) of the weather, having to wear all weather-gear, arriving sweaty and flustered into school, etc.
    Also, what about car fumes? Is that an aspect to take into consideration, as I see it mentioned earlier in the thread!

Well done on cycling that Barna road as a kid!
    I tried to go on a cycle from Salthill along the coast a few years ago and was run off the road by speeding cars! I felt so vulnerable with such narrowness and the terrible surface on the left side of the road...
    Even walkers are taking their lives into their own hands there I feel!

P.S.: When I say she doesn't walk much, I mean on suburbian roads! She does walk a lot in town or in the country! And we encourage her to cycle around the estate...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Oh I know it's great that she wants to cycle, she always took the bus to school, after primary school, to which she was driven. we weren't going to let her become one of these car-bound kids!

That's mainly why I say she is not very road-aware, she doesn't walk nor cycle much anywhere, always takes buses etc. Also she's a bit of a dreamer.

It's mainly the route I'm worried about, plus I know that roads can get very slippy etc in the rain, and visibility is bad.

I would not cycle this route myself twice everyday in winter, I feel she would be even less able to cope with the 'aggression' of some car drivers, the roughness ( and unpredictability!) of the weather, having to wear all weather-gear, arriving sweaty and flustered into school, etc.
    Also, what about car fumes? Is that an aspect to take into consideration, as I see it mentioned earlier in the thread!

Well done on cycling that Barna road as a kid!
    I tried to go on a cycle from Salthill along the coast a few years ago and was run off the road by speeding cars! I felt so vulnerable with such narrowness and the terrible surface on the left side of the road...
    Even walkers are taking their lives into their own hands there I feel!

P.S.: When I say she doesn't walk much, I mean on suburbian roads! She does walk a lot in town or in the country! And we encourage her to cycle around the estate...
    Well in spite of what some cyclists may say, i find 99% of motorists to be very considerate. I am rarely denied my right of way, regularly waved out at a junction and most give plenty of space when over taking. Of course there is the 1% of dickheads that will rattle your nerves and leave you fuming. I honestly believe the principal danger to cyclists is their own stupidity, breaking lights, not obeying the rules of the road etc. If she behaves herself well and doesn't take chances she will be fine.

I would think the route she is planning is relatively safe. The distance is not huge if you cycle at a tame pace. It's no wetter in winter than summer in my experience. So good lights, bag carrier, decent waterproofs and under no circumstances allow her to wear headphones. She'll very soon gain that awareness you say she is lacking. She'll arrive to school fresher, arrive home hungrier and sleep sounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

As a motorist who is constantly using the Newcastle junction, I would advise her to be very careful of left turning traffic in either direction on the dual carriageway.
    Especially if the lights have just turned green or the traffic is already moving - if that's the case, she could well be travelling faster than the turning cars, and surprise them by arriving alongside to go straight when they are turning. If she gets to the junction on a read light, she should be fine, as she'll get in front of the cars - she also might have the option to dismount and walk across while there's a pedestrian green light.

I try to be aware of cyclists at all times, and especially at those junctions where you're crossing over the cycle lane, but you never know when even a considerate driver might be inadvertently get distracted and miss the wing mirror check.

Thanks for the advice!

The path on the bridge is mostly fine, few rough patches of loose crap but nothing to worry about unless she's on a bike with 23c tyres and going 50kmph. If she's on a hybrid or mountain bike she'd be grand.

Also, there is a cycle path form the bridge all the way to fort lorenzo.

If she stays on it she will be fine.

The only "problems" would be the roundabout behind the hopsital, but if she stays on the cycle path she should be dismounting to cross it anyway, negating any issues. The other being the junction at the top of taylors hill but that's easily handled too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Galwaycyclist needs a hand lobbying the corpo today don't forget. See their posts last week in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement