Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Seaneh wrote: »
    You really should be doing the sipddal - moycullen route in the opposite direction, the winds are usually from the south and east so you're cycling into them uphill if you're going moycullen to sipddal! Same for the route past the golf club!

Unfortunately it's impossible to avoid cycling into the wind on the way back to town from the west!
    Oh yeh I switch the Spiddal Moycullen route depending on wind direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

You really should be doing the sipddal - moycullen route in the opposite direction, the winds are usually from the south and east so you're cycling into them uphill if you're going moycullen to sipddal! Same for the route past the golf club!

Unfortunately it's impossible to avoid cycling into the wind on the way back to town from the west!
    I cannot disagree more. Once, and never again, did i go Spiddal - Moycullen. It's a long meandering hill out of Spiddal for miles and a short 2 second drop into moycullen.

Far better go Moycullen-Spiddal, get the bastard hill out of moycullen out of the way and once your at the top you've got a view of the bay and the long meandering hill down in to spiddal, turn the corner and the wind is on your back all the way back to galway. Elevations for planning a cycle can be got from the website below.
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The climb is the best part :D

I have to agree with Tigs. I try to avoid doing Spiddal-Moycullen unless the wind really is strong. I always feel much more tired doing that stretch of road in Spiddal-Moycullen direction. I don't know if its physiological or what. But I much prefer doing the climb when you turn left at moycullen. A proper climb, not like the crappy drags you get going the other way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Hi lads & lassies,

Are any of ye members of any of the cycling clubs in the city?
    I'm thinking of rocking up to one of the Sunday morning sessions but I've only done a few 20km cycles on my own.

Would I need to sign up as a member before arriving down? Or, do ye think i'd be a bit out of my depth and should I continue to focus on my solo spins?

Cheers for any input

• Advertisement

I'm a member of West Coast Wheelers as of quite recently (4 or 5 weeks). If I was to join Galway Bay cycling club, I'd get blown out the water. They seem to be a bit more race focused judging by the members in there. Where as WCW are more of a relaxed group who like to focus on the more social and technique side of things. Horses for courses and all that jazz. We all leave at 9am on Sunday anyway so it's up to you :)
    There are 2 routes that are planned out on the morning, a 60km route and a longer one around 80km.

Feel free to come down at the weekend to try things out. There is no need to sign as a member straight away so if you feel it's too much too soon, that's ok.
    I went down one weekend and I was hooked straight away, there is just so much more involved when cycling with a group that I can see why people get bored on longer spins when on their own.
    Personally, the longest spin I did beforehand solo was 60km. So distance wasn't the issue for me. If I was you, I'd get a few more longer spins in first. I'd say up to 40km and you'd be fine in the group :)

Thanks Brad!

I'm hoping to do the Moycullen-Spiddal/Barna route soon, so that should give me a good idea of where I am.

WCW sounds more like my scene.

Thanks again for the reply and I'll hopefully see ye in a few weeks!

juicet3rry wrote: »
    Thanks Brad!

I'm hoping to do the Moycullen-Spiddal/Barna route soon, so that should give me a good idea of where I am.

WCW sounds more like my scene.

Thanks again for the reply and I'll hopefully see ye in a few weeks!

Yeah that's a decent route to try to see where you are. That's the route I did before I joined WCW. Averaged 21kph in torrential rain and crosswinds. It was hell lol
    Good luck and hope to see you soon :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are participants required to wear lycra ?

Depends, the dress code changes weekly, suit and tie this week :)

It's not required however, it's what everyone else would be kitted up in. I cycled in loose fitting clothing for quite a while before joining a club but once I changed to lycra, it was amazing how toasty warm it was! As I've heard many club members say around the country, don't feel other club members will look down on you on for what you wear or what you ride. If they do, it's a pretty ****ty club to be fair. We had a guy turn up a few weeks back on a mountain bike while everyone else was on road bikes. Didn't get to chat to him fully but I think he was relatively new to the scene and he was doing grand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Did this today - really enjoyed it. :) Fierce windy out there today though!!

Will step it up to the Moycullen-Spiddal route next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are participants required to wear lycra ?
    Indeed :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brad768 wrote: »
    Here are a few of routes I had saved from when I started
    2)Turn right at Barna up towards the Golf Club and turn right back towards town 20km
    6)Moycullen-Spiddal, my favourite :)44km

Routes 2 and 6 will both be effectively closed ( save for mountain bikers) AND for extended periods ( probably not till Autum/Winter) to facilitate the installation of an underground power cable from Above Spiddal via Knockerasser and Furbo and Barna Golf Club to the Rahoon Eirgrid Substation.

This will be after a minimum 30,000 Tonnes of Concrete and a whole scatter of rather large turbines have severely chewed the Route 6 road up on their way there in the first place of course. :)

Mind you if the cycling fraternity were in any way organised the replacement road would be as smooth as a babys bottom afterwards and naturally would be a sheer delight to cycle on but ye'll have to go visit the County Manager for a proper chat about it before during and after the installation .......and not wear Lycra for the occasion ....bar the noisy ones ye leave outside holding yeer bikes for ye of course. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

i would say best cycle route in galway is a loop through salthill - claddagh - lough atalia - renmore - castlepark - parkmore - then up the tuam road towards tuam and turn left at McHugh's - keep going till u get to Headford road and cross straight over onto Monument Road at Ballindooly Cross, follow the curvature of lough corrib, you can add a few kilometers by turning left at Kilroghter which will bring you down to the lake - Turn onto Dyke(Coolough) Road - Get up on the bridge(a bit of cyclo-cross involved at this bit) and head up Seamus Quirke road and down Treadneadle road to complete the loop...

Opposite direction works just as-well, a few hills involved but most are short and sweet.

it's plus 40km's at least and you get to see the lake, the river, and all the city coastline.

You could also combine that with that the spiddal-moycullen route easily enough for a long ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Routes 2 and 6 will both be effectively closed ( save for mountain bikers) AND for extended periods ( probably not till Autum/Winter) to facilitate the installation of an underground power cable from Above Spiddal via Knockerasser and Furbo and Barna Golf Club to the Rahoon Eirgrid Substation.

This will be after a minimum 30,000 Tonnes of Concrete and a whole scatter of rather large turbines have severely chewed the Route 6 road up on their way there in the first place of course. :)

Mind you if the cycling fraternity were in any way organised the replacement road would be as smooth as a babys bottom afterwards and naturally would be a sheer delight to cycle on but ye'll have to go visit the County Manager for a proper chat about it before during and after the installation .......and not wear Lycra for the occasion ....bar the noisy ones ye leave outside holding yeer bikes for ye of course. :)

Link?

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    i would say best cycle route in galway is a loop through salthill - claddagh - lough atalia - renmore - castlepark - parkmore - then up the tuam road towards tuam and turn left at McHugh's - keep going till u get to Headford road and cross straight over onto Monument Road at Ballindooly Cross, follow the curvature of lough corrib, you can add a few kilometers by turning left at Kilroghter which will bring you down to the lake - Turn onto Dyke(Coolough) Road - Get up on the bridge(a bit of cyclo-cross involved at this bit) and head up Seamus Quirke road and down Treadneadle road to complete the loop...

Opposite direction works just as-well, a few hills involved but most are short and sweet.

it's plus 40km's at least and you get to see the lake, the river, and all the city coastline.

You could also combine that with that the spiddal-moycullen route easily enough for a long ride.

Is this what you mean? (minus the loop at Dyke Road). Not too sure how you're going through Castlepark but it's coming in a bit short at 30km....

http://goo.gl/maps/O5MH7

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    this sounds like a stop/start world of traffic, junctions and traffic lights apart from the menlo bit.... not my cup of tea.

How dare they take away the Spiddal Moycullen loop! Going to need to find an equally nice ride around 60km now. Ah well, bikes are made for exploring anyway :)

How you getting on juicet3rry and J o e?

Meant to do the Galway-Moycullen-Spiddal-Galway route this weekend but decided to give the legs a rest! Did 110km on the bike last week, between commuting to work and the 25km cycle last Sunday, legs were in bits yesterday. Was a tough week with the strong westerly winds. Next Sunday hopefully!

J o e wrote: »
    Meant to do the Galway-Moycullen-Spiddal-Galway route this weekend but decided to give the legs a rest! Did 110km on the bike last week, between commuting to work and the 25km cycle last Sunday, legs were in bits yesterday. Was a tough week with the strong westerly winds. Next Sunday hopefully!

Good stuff! If your legs feel really heavy after a ride or the day after, you may find it helpful if you go out and spin really easy gears at a pace that you could have a full conversation at. It will flush all the lactic acid out of legs and increase the blood flow. I go out for about 20mins or so a couple of hours after a club spin. Stops my legs from seizing up the next morning lol

• Advertisement

How dare they take away the Spiddal Moycullen loop! Going to need to find an equally nice ride around 60km now. Ah well, bikes are made for exploring anyway :)

Try heading out west beyond spiddal an inverin, as you come to the turn off to rossaveal, turn right and follow this road accross the hills to Oughterard.... it's a long winding road with some lovely gut wrenching climbs, beautiful view from the top over the lake, and a top notch bendy decent in to oughterard. Road surface is dodgy in parts, must be careful of sheep but there are no crazy dogs....... back home then at a handy pace. Comes in at about 85k.

Good, thanks. Getting solid 20-30kms per cycle. Had to abandon a 40km cycle at the halfway point at the weekend. 2 punctures and only 1 spare tube means only one thing....a nice 20km walk home!

I'm aiming to make it to one of the WCW cycles by mid-May. I should hopefully have enough km's in the legs to be comfortable-ish.

Cheers for the route McTigs, will have to check it out soon.
    juicet3rry wrote: »
    Good, thanks. Getting solid 20-30kms per cycle. Had to abandon a 40km cycle at the halfway point at the weekend. 2 punctures and only 1 spare tube means only one thing....a nice 20km walk home!

I'm aiming to make it to one of the WCW cycles by mid-May. I should hopefully have enough km's in the legs to be comfortable-ish.

Yeah it's pretty disheartening when something like that happens so far out from home. Luckily I've never got caught out too bad. I had a slow puncture at GMIT before but managed to cycle home on about 40psi avoiding every kind of bump in the road lol
    Good stuff, you're building it slowly which is the good thing. It's no fun being absolutely exhausted after a ride and not wanting to be on a saddle for the next week.

Bump..closing date is Friday
    Anyone got ideas on promoting cycling as an activity/transport/entertainment/art form..?
    Galway Bike Festival 2013
    As part of Galway Bike Festival 2013, organisations are invited to host a cycling related event on a not for profit basis in Galway City during Galway Bike Festival, which takes place over the period June 15 to June 23. Funding up to a maximum of €500 will be awarded to organisations in support of such an event/initiative. Eligible expenses include for example: refreshments, bike maintenance workshops, bike hire, cycle training workshops, event prizes, fliers etc. Deadline Friday April 26, 2013 http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/040413_01.html

McTigs wrote: »
    ...some lovely gut wrenching climbs...

Nope you've lost me... :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Citizens initiative for safer roads in EU

This is one of the key measures for making our city roads more attractive and safer places to cycle. If this gets grassroots support from Ireland it will send powerful message.
    About the initiative
    30 km/h (20 mph) limits are an inexpensive and popular way to improve safety, cut pollution and encourage smarter travel choices. They lead to improved traffic flow and less congestion. People can move without fear. And so we want to achieve these benefits for the whole of the European Union. What is our vision? 30 km/h shall become the standard speed limits for villages, towns and cities with local authorities being able to decide on exemptions. Therefore, we will set the agenda for the European Commission. We want the commission to come up with a proposal to introduce 30 km/h speed limits.

We are organising a “European Citizen´s Initiative” - a fascinating, brand-new policy instrument in the European Union. We are determined to make every effort to collect the more than 1 million signatures needed within one year from at least 7 different member states of the EU.

UK Twentys plenty page (20mph = 30km/h)
    http://www.20mph4.eu/

European wide page
    http://en.30kmh.eu/

Go here to support the intiative (you must be over 18)
    https://30kmh.eu/oct-web-public/?lang=en
    Click "Support"
    You will need to enter your name, address, age and citizenship

Your data cannot be used for any other purpose than verifying your support for this measure.

Privacy statement:https://30kmh.eu/oct-web-public/privacy.do

Only been cycling in and around Galway for 5 months now but I don't find the city that bad at all. 30km/h speed limits however would be great, MUCH to the disapproval of quite a lot of car owners though.

Only been cycling in and around Galway for 5 months now but I don't find the city that bad at all. 30km/h speed limits however would be great, MUCH to the disapproval of quite a lot of car owners though.
    How would they work? The existing 50kph maximum limit is routinely ignored round the clock.

Also, anyone notice the temporary traffic sensors across bike paths & roads. On the bike path they are the biggest speed bump ever..I almost took off when I hit one on the N6.
    I don't recall them being that prominent in the past.

How would they work? The existing 50kph maximum limit is routinely ignored round the clock.

Also, anyone notice the temporary traffic sensors across bike paths & roads. On the bike path they are the biggest speed bump ever..I almost took off when I hit one on the N6.
    I don't recall them being that prominent in the past.

Don't know, it's not my job :) Speed cameras would be the logical solution but Ireland seems to be allergic to them compared to other EU countries.

Are they small triangular prisms painted in yellow and black stripes? I was coming back from a club spin and was cycling along the bike path along the N6 towards Bodkin roundabout. Just taking it easy, hands on the tops with a tailwind, going along at about 30kph. I then caught something out the corner of my eye along the bike lane. I managed to bunny hop it with less than a second to go before I was catapulted along the pavement. Close one indeed.

• Advertisement

Are they small triangular prisms painted in yellow and black stripes? I was coming back from a club spin and was cycling along the bike path along the N6 towards Bodkin roundabout. Just taking it easy, hands on the tops with a tailwind, going along at about 30kph. I then caught something out the corner of my eye along the bike lane. I managed to bunny hop it with less than a second to go before I was catapulted along the pavement. Close one indeed.

Yeah..that's them. They are plain dangerous. Imagine that on the road instead, there'd be lawsuits!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement