Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Reviews - Liquid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

In the sample pack from wingnut i got ectoplasmic. Looks like fairy washing up liquid :D but i'm not getting a great taste off of it at all. I can taste the lemon and lime but not too strong of a bang from it.

Orange ice pop is ok but not as i imagined it would be. Gonna give the 2 of them a time to mature and hopefully grow on me before i give them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

The orange ice pop needs a long steep before you get the best flavour from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

jamie72 wrote: »
    The orange ice pop needs a long steep before you get the best flavour from it.

whats the best thing to do to it? dark room with lid off or warm water?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Back of a press, lid off, up to a week.....job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

can anyone point me to a link that explains why or how steeping works - like what happens to the molecuuuules, that sort of thing? i'd be interested to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

There are a zillion threads on ECF about it, but nothing as science-y as you want.

The longer you leave the ingredients to mix with eachother, the more they'll mix.

Heating the juice in a hot water bath speeds up the process as the juice in the bottom half of the bottle rises up to the top, pushing the cooler liquid down, which gets heated up, pushes the cooler liquid down, etc, etc: convection at work, mixing juices quicker than waiting days for ingredients to permeate eachother.
    It also slightly cooks/bakes the flavour concentrates, so a sweeter juice might become caramel-y. Might be just right, might be too much. A single bath usually wouldn't change it that much unless it was already liberally doused in Ethyl Maltol.

Cap off will oxidise the nicotine, changing it's colour faster (this is why your juice will look darker towards the end of the bottle), causing it to slowly degrade.

Lighter liquids like water or alcohol that may not be perfectly mixed with the other ingredients yet would evaporate so, so slightly, which would also darken the liquid slightly and make it a little thicker. Is it even perceptible? Some say yes.

In the short-term (<1 year) it doesn't make a significant difference, doesn't increase or decrease throathit unless you leave the cap off AND take the nipple off.
    Then water and alcohol would evaporate quite fast.
    This would (apparently) allow nicotine to evaporate almost as fast as water and alcohol, and according to experiments it evaporates VERY fast (one experiment has a 24mg nicotine-PG solution evaporating to a 2mg solution within 17 hours - I'm confused by this myself as it insinuates that any nicotine spread throughout a mix would rise to the top and evaporate, which makes little sense to me as nicotine is twice as heavy as PG...?)
    Obviously, less nicotine=less throathit, and if it vas a VG mix, less alcohol=less throathit again.
    Not sure how Boba's Bounty manages to have throathit without alcohol even at low nic rates. AVE magic at work.

Ultimately, I find reading (and taking part in) most of those pseudo-science threads where some guy steeps for a week cap-on, a week in his basement cap-off, twirls it around his head thirteen times whilst reciting W.B.Yeats' 'Brown Penny' and THEN, just then, he has the perfect brew...depressing and time-wasting. Even this post is a stretch for me.
    It'll be nice to know the actual answers once the actual pros (scientists, not vendors and hobbyists) do their own studies on it.

TL;DR
    Either
    • leave the juice alone for a week or two (maybe with the cap off if it's a tobacco or if it's too perfumey)
    • give it a hot water bath
    Everything else is conjecture that could be down to how hot or cold Nebraska is at this time of year.
    If/when more definite conclusions are drawn you'll see everybody who DIYs either fawning over the study, or pouting and sulking over lost time.

I'm so sorry, that was so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

grindle thats about it for steeping, it's fairy dust. Apart from PG and VG and any alcohol or flavorings having different consistencies I cant see any reason that a flavor which is already several weeks old would 'mature' in something as antibacterial as PG.
    I use 50/50 PG/VG so warm the mix up in my coffee and shake. The heat makes everything about the same consistence so it blends well, other than that I don't have patience to wait 2 weeks to see if the 5 mil I mixed is nice. By then I'l have forgotten what was in it anyway.
    Mix shake vape and use it all or bin. Theirs always something else to vape.

On the 'savory' taste from diy tobaccos, I get what your saying, they taste like tobacco you have eaten, it seems to be really hard to get a smokey flavor. I wonder what Halo use to get the earthy smokey flavor they overpower everything with? Isn't their a thing called 'liquid smoke' you use in BBQ sauce, wonder if thats it?

tommy2bad wrote: »
    I use 50/50 PG/VG so warm the mix up in my coffee and shake.

What a gangster. :D

As for the tobacco, that Black Fire concentrate does a pretty amazing job of it. Different to a burning cig, but very very smokey.
    First time I used it I had it at 2% of the mix - all other tastes were wiped out, and it conjured up memories of my house catching fire as a child. It settled down a bit a week later, but...
    Fires, yeah...

#Memorieeeees, pressed between the pages of my miiiiiiinnnd...#

right - i gave up all science subjects after the inter cert so i have a lot more reading to do i think. i read a few threads on ecf but i find theres a lot of 'purchase justification' if that makes sense. i get how the longer you leave things the better the flavour 'mixes' [next day spag bol for instance!] but why does it take some flavourings so much longer to mix or adhere to the rest of the ingredients than others. those juices from toscana mall were 20+ days from manufature to when they tasted of anything. a lot more reading to do...

Why does Dom Perignon take 10-15 years to reach it's peak?

Who even found that out?

That shít would be GONE if I was asked to keep it that long.

• Advertisement

ha! this stuff was completely unvapeable though. like it went from the flavour being casually introduced to it as a party to them having a full on sexual relationship and finishing each other's sentences... or something...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Anyone wrote: »
    Trying Fire n Ice for the first time....weird sensation, but not unlikeable. What its more likely to do though is make me try a pure cinnamon based liquid.
    Id recommend the vaporcast sinthol or sin-apple if you wont to dip your toe in further

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

grindle wrote: »
    What a gangster. :D

As for the tobacco, that Black Fire concentrate does a pretty amazing job of it. Different to a burning cig, but very very smokey.
    First time I used it I had it at 2% of the mix - all other tastes were wiped out, and it conjured up memories of my house catching fire as a child. It settled down a bit a week later, but...

Fires, yeah...

#Memorieeeees, pressed between the pages of my miiiiiiinnnd...#

disaster-girl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have a really nasty Cold at the moment....

Can't taste a thing.....

Silver Lining??????

Get to use up all the horrible nasty juices I bought that were going to waste

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

That's been me for the last week. Still not back to normal. My juices from Vaporcaststore arrived and I'm dying to try them but will wait til full taste has returned

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

I'm hanging on until the boards mods get the finger out and give us a proper review forum (I've about 7 reviews here), but I just have to say, this Wingnuts Swedish fish is bang on. It is exactly the taste of where a pink refresher just meets the white stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That strawberry lemonade is an unbelievable destroyer of coils. Just a ml or two and the coil needs to be cleaned. Must be absolutely full of sugar.

Wonder if the orange de sangre is as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

That strawberry lemonade is an unbelievable destroyer of coils. Just a ml or two and the coil needs to be cleaned. Must be absolutely full of sugar.

Wonder if the orange de sangre is as bad?

It's very sweet, but it is nice. I find after I finish a ml or two, it's time to change to a different juice anyway.

Orange de Sangre is the same, have to change/clean wicks every day or two to stop that sugared taste from overpowering everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

this is more of a query than a review, but i usually vape the Liqua Menthol but TBS were out of stock so I ordered Liqua Mints 18mg, not sure if its the dual coils or the juice but every time i try it i just feel as if there's a very burnt taste, I tried 2 different cartomisers got fed up and then loaded a new cartomiser with some menthol and that was perfect, anyone else tried mints and how did you find it??

• Advertisement

I use the Liqua mint and I've never got a burnt taste off it. It tastes like polo mints to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

perfect thank you GH, maybe just a couple of dodgy cartomisers then!! TG for that cause I ordered 8 bottles of the stuff!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

Same here, been through a few 30ml bottles of it and really like it. Very minty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Looking to try another nutty flavour, and see TBS have a Coconut cream flavour, anyone tried it and can give it a thumbs up?

Don't know if my theory is correct but seems to me Dekang seem to be the poor relations of E Liquid and not as good as all the other makers??

kiffy wrote: »
    Looking to try another nutty flavour, and see TBS have a Coconut cream flavour, anyone tried it and can give it a thumbs up?

Don't know if my theory is correct but seems to me Dekang seem to be the poor relations of E Liquid and not as good as all the other makers??

They're the McDonald's of liquid. Hangsen must be the Burger King.

Not to say that either is terrible, but there's better.
    Having said that, apart from the slight nutty notes in tobacco liquids, I'm not mad on nut flavours, so I can't recommend anything really.
    Are coconuts considered nutty? They're a type of fruit to me.
    I'd usually think of crappy Halloween nuts as "nuts".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think alot of the misgivings about dekang are because of its price. reminds me of that penn and teller bull**** episode where they got people into a fancy restaurant, told them they were about to have the finest of fine foods and threw some walmart special branded tinned tomatos and whatnot onto a plate, people loved it.

or this http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/10/you-are-not-so-smart-why-we-cant-tell-good-wine-from-bad/247240/

I think it's just individual taste buds or something. I just get a 'chemical' taste from all of the dekang stuff. They all taste pretty much the same with a horrible aftertaste.

I've tried them a few times over the last year but just don't like them. I wish I did cos they have a good range at good prices.

Mind you, I found the same with cartos. I could never get on with them cos all I could taste was the filler.

Fecked up taste buds on my side probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

kiffy wrote: »

I rather like a lot of the dekang liquids. But I hate coconut cream :p. I dont like any alcohol liquids, its just a matter of taste. So i wont describe it as i dont want to put anyone else off.
    I will say it tastes of coconut, and the alcohol side of it is similar to the whiskey cream from wingnuts. So may well be worth a try if you like that sort of thing.

I ordered it late at night and i think i meant to order the normal coconut. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Dug out my bottle of Dekang Red Cola. Forgot how much I love this stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yep, Red Cola and White coffee are the two best Dekang liquids, IMO!

Advertisement