Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yesterday37

Seen this is a chipper in Athlone. Wonder would some people from the states find this offensive here?

Why would you worry whether somebody from the states finding it offensive. If you go to the American south its flown all over the place. I think its naff given its history. But we're all grown ups and adults and we should expect to see things in life that chagrin us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Civil Wars are divisive but much more so are ones where one side wanted to continue to enslave one race of people within the country.

I think it is also a bad comparison due to the high volume of them in the US. There are over 700 confederate monuments in the US which means ancestors of people they wanted to keep enslaved have to see them in their parks, on the way to work or school. They are even put up in cities that didn't even exist when the civil war happened.

You're not going to suggest that Cromwell didn't want to keep a large portion of (then) Britain enslaved, or worse, and that there are no Irish people passing in front of his statue to this day? There are statues of all manner of racists and imperialists dotted around Britain. How long until they're torn down?

Which race in Britain did he try to enslave? Did these monuments start appearing more often during periods where that race was fighting for rights?

Seen this is a chipper in Athlone. Wonder would some people from the states find this offensive here?

Why would you worry whether somebody from the states finding it offensive. If you go to the American south its flown all over the place. I think its naff given its history. But we're all grown ups and adults and we should expect to see things in life that chagrin us.

100% but as a grown up you deal with the consequences. If you do choose to fly it you accept that people equally have the right to potentially associate you with neo-nazi/white supremacists or that you're just displaying incredible levels of pig headed ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not advocating violence. But the drunk American guy who decided to give the Nazi salute in Germany the other day, got a bloody nose for his trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yesterday37

100% but as a grown up you deal with the consequences. If you do choose to fly it you accept that people equally have the right to potentially associate you with neo-nazi/white supremacists or that you're just displaying incredible levels of pig headed ignorance

Look I would never fly it. I would have no prob if the GAA banning it on its grounds. But I found the preface of the OP that people who don't even live here might be offended a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Water John wrote: »
    Not advocating violence. But the drunk American guy who decided to give the Nazi salute in Germany the other day, got a bloody nose for his trouble.

Are you trying to insinuate you are going to give a few Cork fans a hiding ya big strong keyboard warrior ya? :rolleyes:

If you do, will you please give me a shout, I'd give anything to see that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Which race in Britain did he try to enslave? Did these monuments start appearing more often during periods where that race was fighting for rights?

The Irish. I don't know when that particular statue was erected.

The Irish. I don't know when that particular statue was erected.

So there there are over 700 Cromwell monuments in Ireland? Must have missed them.

Yes it is a monument to a divisive figure but it is a bad comparison to make with confederate monuments

So there there are over 700 Cromwell monuments in Ireland? Must have missed them.

Yes it is a monument to a divisive figure but it is a bad comparison to make with confederate monuments

You know I didn't say anything about 700 monuments to Cromwell anywhere, so why pretend that I did just to dismiss it? That's a pretty foolish thing to do IMO.

You know I didn't say anything about 700 monuments to Cromwell anywhere, so why pretend that I did just to dismiss it? That's a pretty foolish thing to do IMO.

From you debating the side that Cromwell was as divisive as the confederate men that are celebrated in monuments I presumed you were also saying you agreed with the comparison of the two sets.

If you're just talking about divisiveness I can see it being debateable but if you are trying to equate that pic that was added to the thread in overall terms then it's a poor attempt

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

150 years and still the fascination of that war lingers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

We're going to pull down the statue of Chah and Miah outside the County Hall on the Carrigrohane road by way of atonement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Just saw a story on Reddit where one of the protestors (white supremacist) in Charlottesville was wearing a Johny cash t-shirt to the embarrassment of the Cash family who were compelled to issue a statement on the matter.

What next will country music be disparaged due to it being an overwhelmingly white genre, although it might not be such a bad idea if it means wagon wheel is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

My son fly's the confederate flag at matches because its just another bit of colour in a sea of colour, if fact he's getting a bigger one now since all this "ban the flag" stuff cropped up. What beats the crap out of me is that two tools from Limerick who wear shopping bags over their heads started off a lot of this round of bull. It's a flag flown at Cork matches for years, nobody gives any credence to the racist connotations, its just some colour....and we always bring a bit of colour to games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Well, I think, The Paper, called it right, in their editorial today.
    Time to move on. We have a special name in Cork for those that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

nlrkjos wrote: »
    My son fly's the confederate flag at matches because its just another bit of colour in a sea of colour, if fact he's getting a bigger one now since all this "ban the flag" stuff cropped up. What beats the crap out of me is that two tools from Limerick who wear shopping bags over their heads started off a lot of this round of bull. It's a flag flown at Cork matches for years, nobody gives any credence to the racist connotations, its just some colour....and we always bring a bit of colour to games.

Great. If some lads from Sligo show up with an Isis flag they can have a good laugh about how edgy they are.

nlrkjos wrote: »

Is this your son??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

He enslaved the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What next will country music be disparaged due to it being an overwhelmingly white genre, although it might not be such a bad idea if it means wagon wheel is banned.

That's it, bring Garth Brooks into this. That's all we need.

• Advertisement

He enslaved the Irish.

Which is why the comparison of him to confederate monuments is terrible. You'd need over 700 memorials of Cromwell in Ireland for it to make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Water John wrote: »
    Well, I think, The Paper, called it right, in their editorial today.
    Time to move on. We have a special name in Cork for those that don't.

and a special name for PC moralisers too Langers of the highest order !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

My old man saw a black man in Toulouse wearing a confederate bandana. He chuckled to himself.

Which is why the comparison of him to confederate monuments is terrible. You'd need over 700 memorials of Cromwell in Ireland for it to make any sense.

What is this number you keep bandying about as though it was an argument in itself?

What is this number you keep bandying about as though it was an argument in itself?

The low end of the estimate of confederate monuments. It ranges anywhere up to 1,500.

I'm using it to show how the 'look there's one Cromwell statue somewhere and it doesn't annoy me' is a stupid comparison to attempt to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

I actually think Cork people are just genuinely thick. From driving around parts of Cork county you'd always see confederate flags amast outside houses and in cars.

They must think it's a symbol of being a rebel or unique but at the end of the day I find most Cork people to be special little snowflakes with an inferiority complex mixed with chip on shoulder.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I actually think Cork people are just genuinely thick. From driving around parts of Cork county you'd always see confederate flags amast outside houses and in cars.

They must think it's a symbol of being a rebel or unique but at the end of the day I find most Cork people to be special little snowflakes with an inferiority complex mixed with chip on shoulder.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Does this mean the Dukes of Hazzard will never be shown on tv again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Does this mean the Dukes of Hazzard will never be shown on tv again :(

Not a hope, shure t'would be the very same as reopening Bergen Belsen to show a rerun of it. Didn't it turn the whole country into nazis the last time it was shown, in fact it probably caused WW2.

Advertisement